Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sportswriters suicide.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    i really dont think 60 year old sportswriters from KC change the world.

Or maybe it would be a horrible 20 years. he could have run over a little girl while driving drunk.
    It is his choice, and the article is interesting. Just seems so dumb and pointless. If he had just been diagnosed with a terminal illness, I get it.

But healthy, with interests, enough money, etc? Just strange.

Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    It is his choice, and the article is interesting. Just seems so dumb and pointless. If he had just been diagnosed with a terminal illness, I get it.

But healthy, with interests, enough money, etc? Just strange.
    Agreed.

I understand not wanting to live out a painful miserable existence. But how can you say you are happy, and enjoying life, just not enough to want to be around tomorrow??

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Goodness, you've found the essence of all religions!

(I'll mix the martinis)
    Two olives, please - I haven't eaten all day.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I've been too closely involved with suicide for me to be overly moved by this guy's choice.

To answer your question, I am here because I choose to be. Same as he was, till he wasn't.
    sorry to hear that, I can understand why the discussion wouldn't interest you when it's too real vs. abstract.

sorry to hear that, I can understand why the discussion wouldn't interest you when it's too real vs. abstract.
    Shouldn't be a suprise, I've spoken of my Fathers suicide, and my mothers attempts, often here at J.I.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Two olives, please - I haven't eaten all day.
    And that is why, my good man, you are always two steps ahead of the rest of us. Always thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Very interesting article, although I wouldn't call him rational. He was in good health, he had hobbies he enjoyed...but he was afraid of one day getting old and infirmed. It could have happened in one year or 20 years. He just didn't want to face it when it happened. So he threw his life away because he was afraid of the unknown. It sounds like deep down he had much, much larger issues.
    Actually, arm-chair psychology-wise, I'd say it was primarily about the immortality fantasy. Look at his website, and he is constantly talking about how this way he will be remembered longer. He had no children to carry his memory into the future . . . this was about standing out, being remembered, being more than just a "blip on the radar screen".

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Shouldn't be a suprise, I've spoken of my Fathers suicide, and my mothers attempts, often here at J.I.
    Hope you don't think I was being callous. I honestly didn't know that. Apologies.

Hope you don't think I was being callous. I honestly didn't know that. Apologies.
    I'm suprised, given how often it's come up over the years.

But no, I didn't get any impression you were being callous at all.

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Actually, arm-chair psychology-wise, I'd say it was primarily about the immortality fantasy. Look at his website, and he is constantly talking about how this way he will be remembered longer. He had no children to carry his memory into the future . . . this was about standing out, being remembered, being more than just a "blip on the radar screen".
    Many argue its a selfish act.