Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What went wrong on David Wilson's 84-yard touchdown?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    No matter how you show it that is Davis that lost his man and got boxed in. Blaming Allen because he picked up his assignment instead of trying to read the play is a bit of a stretch. He was on a cover play and was brought in by the TE. Should he have backed Davis up yes but that is a rookie error. Not every player can read and react when someone else misses his target like that. To say he is more to blame then the guy that was spotting the RB makes no sense at all to me. The whole side broke down but that was Davis's man to begin with I am sorry.
    how dare you make sense. but now be prepared to be taught a lesson about "basic concepts" by turd ryan lmao

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    On the upper right side of the picture below...Allen has been moving forward...and he's now on the 20. You can the Eli is in the process on handing off to Wilson.

Now he either makes a wrong read here or he's just plain guessing. Allen is moving as if Wilson is going to cut inside the tackle. He should not be shooting into this gap. At least not to be so quick to shoot it...cause he's the last resort to seal the edge if the RB makes a sharp cut outside of the tackle.

Wison sees Allen has committed to the inside gap. So he's going to cut it outside the tackle.

Wilson has cut to the outside. and Allen has taken himself out of the play as he's stuck in the inside with the tackle. You can also see there's nobody left to seal the edge. Cro is effectively going to be blocked...he cannot shed. In fact the blocker to me looked like he had a hold of the arm or the sleeve of Cro's jersey, when I saw the replay.

Wilson zooms by his WR's block of Cro...and he's off to the races.

Nobody is going to catch Wilson. As i said...Allen is the safety with outside containment responsibilities...if it was a run play instead of a pass.

Others made mistakes too. But the safety Allen has to be the one here to have last resort containment on a run play like this.
    Thankyou for posting this.
    Of course, you are 100% correct.
    These pictures really explain everything in this play so clearly...(and certainly, your expert text accompanying the pictures helps as well!).
    You are "spot on" in your entire step-by-step analysis of this play.

But in spite of your making this so clear, I guarantee you that a certain belligerent knucklehead still doesnt get it.He is just not smart enough to grasp these points, even with your excellent "show n' tell". Not even a full-length feature movie on Setting The Edge (or Containment) would help this guy understand what you are saying. I guarantee this is a waste of time.

BUT, it does bring up another interesting NFL issue...

That sometimes you find a player that has great raw athleticism and talent, but he is so stupid that he just cant grasp the "NFL system", and becomes a total bust.
    I find this to be especially sad, but I dont think its that un-common. The Jets had a gifted , young RB several years ago, but he got something like a 9 on the wonderlic test, and couldnt remember the plays & was dropped after 1 year. Too bad...all the talent in the world cant overcome a lack of brainpower.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    how dare you make sense. but now be prepared to be taught a lesson about "basic concepts" by turd ryan lmao
    can't you agree to disagree without being so dooshy?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    whats there to agree dude? him acting like he knew ANYTHING 100% for sure is enough for me to make a joke out of him. but he's doing it all by himself anyway he doesnt need my help with that. im agreeing with the guys that give their opinion what MIGHT have happened, just like i gave my opinion, i dont claim to know for a fact what happened. everything he writes is based on assumptions he makes, based on his illusion that allen was supposed to do this, and davis was supposed to do that, and so on. so it's just plain stupid to claim you know for a fact what exactly happened. if he learned that at some point it would make him sound somewhat smart and knowledgable. but talking about basic concepts when all he has is a replay and off of that he's able to build a huge scouting report of what exactly our defense is doing is just like i said, stupid. and he's making an even bigger joke of himself by going around ignoring everybody that disagrees with him, and instead replying to the ones that do "OF COURSE YOU ARE 100% CORRECT SIR". its so embarrassing, clearly a case of too much madden football. now he's an expert. IF A SAFETY COMES TO THE LINE IT MEANS ITS A BLITZ AND THE ONLY GUY RESPONSIBLE TO STOP THE RUNNING BACK IS THE SAFETY EVERYONE ELSE CAN JUST GET BLOCKED AND CAUGHT IN TRAFFIC AND MAKE WRONG READS IM A GENIUS ITS BASIC CONCEPTS YOU ALL DONT UNDERSTAND FOOTBALL LOL. yeah whatever buddy keep fighting
    Last edited by DaBallhawk; 08-26-2013 at 11:27 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    LOL...He is un-believe-ably "dooshy" isnt he?...or is he "douche-ee"? Maybe he is both!

We used to see this kind of erratic, problematic behavior alot during the height of the crazed, steroid days. "Roid Rage" made most of these guys just plain nuts. You couldnt have a full 30-second conversation with any of them, on any subject. Just like with this guy.
    But with the growth of testing, steroid use was thought to have subsided somewhat (but apparently not, if you listen to guys like D-Balled, here!).
    I also think you see similar symptoms tied to excessive cocaine use. Either way, its bad news.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    how dare you make sense. be prepared to be taught a lesson about "basic concepts" by turd ryan
    I am flattered by your repeated comparisons of me with Coach Rex Ryan. Thankyou for that, as you have said it numerous times now.
    I know you dont think quite as highly of Rex as I do, but I really consider him to be one of the top defensive minds of this current NFL era.
    Innovative and very unique in his approach to defense. Very tough to gameplan against. I truly believe that (barring injuries) this years defense will be his best ever! (even without Revis). The biggest "issue" this defense will have this year will be the play of our QB, on offense! That's a pretty wild concept.
    But again, thankyou for the repeated references to our similarities in coaching...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually I appreciate having Rex here. So once again you're wrong but what does that matter at this point. You're like a worm trying to get off the hook but its too late buddy. Keep scouting those defense you mastermind. With your help we will win a ring this season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Keep scouting those defense you mastermind."

You want to try that sentence again, but in english this time?...LOL.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Funny how Turd Ryan went from sophisticated defensive mastermind to LOLing within minutes. What a sad creature you are lmao. You live in Boston don't you? Yeah

Tell us more about defensive concepts come on lol. Were the 2000 ravens really as good as everyone is saying? What about their basic concepts?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Funny how Turd Ryan went from sophisticated defensive mastermind to LOLing within minutes. What a sad creature you are lmao. You live in Boston don't you? Yeah

1. Been to Boston twice...What does that have anything to do with what we are talking about?..you are highly erratic.
    2. Ray Lewis & Ed Reed are NFL Gods....Again, you are spinning out of control...you are all over the place.

Maybe you should get some rest. You might be more clear-headed in the morning when "things" wear off that are impacting your thought process?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its enough dude go play some more madden

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    No matter how you show it that is Davis that lost his man and got boxed in. Blaming Allen because he picked up his assignment instead of trying to read the play is a bit of a stretch. He was on a cover play and was brought in by the TE. Should he have backed Davis up yes but that is a rookie error. Not every player can read and react when someone else misses his target like that. To say he is more to blame then the guy that was spotting the RB makes no sense at all to me. The whole side broke down but that was Davis's man to begin with I am sorry.
    LOL, Allen wasn't trying to "cover" the TE, players determine if its run or pass and play accordingly. Allen recognized it was run, but took the wrong angle to fill the alley. He has to take on any blocker with his outside arm free, so he can turn the runner back into Davis and Harris, who should be persuing inside- out. Harris can't get cut off by the Guard, and Davis can't commit to the B gap like that. McZintyre should also fight to outside and have his outside arm free to make a play, or force the StE to double him so Allen is unblocked. Cro also needs to do a little more in run support, that was awful.

Even with all of these mistakes, Landry takes a better angle it goes for 10 yards instead of a TD.

Lots of mistakes here. To simplify: Allen was most at fault, followed by Davis, and McIntyre, then Landry, Cro and Harris.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is that one play going to break the 2013 jets season....it's truly amazing how some of you over analyze every single thing the team does.....the jets were not the only team that got gashed for a big run this past weekend....in case you missed the game aside from that run, the first team defense kept them out of the end zone.

We can break down plays but from looking at many of the posts around here you would think the Jets are horrid....pre season or not they are 2-1 and the first team defense has given up a whopping TWO touch downs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another issue was alignment. It looks like they are in a 4-3, but snacks is lined up in the A instead of the B, and McIntyre is lined up in a 5 tech on over the Tackle instead of outside should of the TE. Even the LBs are shaded to the weakside. This puts everyone in a bad position to stop a strongside run.

Not sure if this was a misalignment, if giants motioned the TE to this position and TE Jets didn't realign, or what. Whatever it was, it put the D in a difficult position.

I find it hilarious that none of he beat writers or reporters have enough basic football knowledge to ask any of these simple questions during press conferences. They all have access to the film and coaches cam on NFL.com.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    Is that one play going to break the 2013 jets season....it's truly amazing how some of you over analyze every single thing the team does.....the jets were not the only team that got gashed for a big run this past weekend....in case you missed the game aside from that run, the first team defense kept them out of the end zone.

We can break down plays but from looking at many of the posts around here you would think the Jets are horrid....pre season or not they are 2-1 and the first team defense has given up a whopping TWO touch downs.
    No, it's not a big deal and TE D played great other than that 1 play. That's why it is interesting to look into it and try to figure out what happened. It's all just for fun. Not making it out to be more than it is: just a fluke play.

The line being shaded to the weakside is something that tells a lot and is very interesting.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    LOL, Allen wasn't trying to "cover" the TE, players determine if its run or pass and play accordingly.
    Allen recognized it was run, but took the wrong angle to fill the alley. He has to take on any blocker with his outside arm free, so he can turn the runner back into Davis and Harris, who should be persuing inside- out.

To simplify: Allen was most at fault, .
    YES! agreed 100%.

Most importantly, you make another excellent point here that is a pillar of the BASIC concept of containment on the edge. If Allen keeps his OUTSIDE arm free, he forces the runner back inside into his teammates , who make the easy tackle. Instead, Allen got sucked inside and kept moving forward, ruining his angle & his chance to make this play...
    You are 100% correct. The good news is that this kind of thing is easily "coach-able". If he (Allen) has any sense, he will understand this while watching game film this week, so he wont make this mistake a second time. Thank God its only pre-season. I only hope he is smart enough to understand what you have outlined. The Jets defensive coaches will, no doubt, be showing him the same exact thing on the game tapes. My only worry is that he (like some posters here) may be too stupid to understand this fairly simple defensive concept that both you and Green Reaper (see pictures above) have so expertly described...
    Last edited by Baddniss; 08-27-2013 at 11:55 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its enough dude go play some more madden

I am not trying to imply that you have severe reading comprehension issues, but when I posted (twice) previously to you that I have never played Madden Football in my entire life, what part about that sentence gives you the most problems to understand?... so much so that you are in-capable of reading & comprehending that simple sentence. Its not a long, complex sentence, even YOU should be able to understand that one, (regardless of the drugs you appear to be on...).

You keep babbeling the same incoherent, erratic ramblings...its like you are off "in space" somewhere.Time for you to put down the crack-pipe.The rest of us are here talking football. Maybe the Mods can help point you to a drug REHAB website?
    Mods?
    Last edited by Baddniss; 08-27-2013 at 01:30 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just saw the play again on jets website highlights, the Giants did in fact motion the TE over, so it appears that they just didn't realign the front to account for the change of strength. Still no excuse for Allen's horrible play.
    Last edited by Gastineau99; 08-27-2013 at 01:52 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No way. Turd Ryan gave us the explanation of what happened. And he knows basic concepts better than anyone else.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Correct.
    In one of Coach Ryan's presser interviews, he talked about some of our players still being very young. I think the reference was to both Geno & Allen. Clearly, this play was a mistake based on in-experience. But Allen is starting his second year now. He's not a rookie anymore.Again, thank God its only pre-season.