Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Breakdown of Geno's Night

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Good Breakdown of Geno's Night

As I have been saying his night grades better than his stats

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/...akdown-nyj-nyg

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think Geno looked solid before the interceptions piled up. that said, i see no reason why Sanchez shouldn't start the first 3 or 4 games. it would allow Geno to learn from both his own mistakes AND the mistakes Mark makes with a full playbook. if Sanchez is good, awesome. if Sanchez sucks, ok - Geno learns what not to do, and is better prepared for his first start.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post

It was his first start. He made some mistakes. Geno also has 5 drops, which would have helped with his stats. The coaching staff does not decide off of stats, they analyze each drop back. Geno is actually very accurate. HE can complete a screen pass, deep out, slant, and bomb better than sanchez. He's faster than Sanchez. To me its obvious who should start. I was on the fence before the Jints game but after analyzing the tape I am firmly in the Geno camp.

MM will not have Geno throw the ball 45 times a game. He will ask of Geno what he is comfortable with as compared to the Jints game where MM threw the whole offence at him..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Diddy View Post
    It was his first start. He made some mistakes. Geno also has 5 drops, which would have helped with his stats. The coaching staff does not decide off of stats, they analyze each drop back. Geno is actually very accurate. HE can complete a screen pass, deep out, slant, and bomb better than sanchez. He's faster than Sanchez. To me its obvious who should start. I was on the fence before the Jints game but after analyzing the tape I am firmly in the Geno camp.

MM will not have Geno throw the ball 45 times a game. He will ask of Geno what he is comfortable with as compared to the Jints game where MM threw the whole offence at him..
    I have no problem with interceptions. Stepping out of the back of the endzone is not acceptable. In the NFL defenses change. They're faster, they're smarter, they can make plays college kids can't. In the NFL the size of the field and the size of the end zone dont change. And we move on...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geno has the luxury that Mark never had: A competent OC that will correct & teach.

For instance in the last gif where Tuck intercepts the ball, his head locked onto the receiver, and/or to the left side of the field. If he simply scanned the right side, he would've seen a bltzing LBer leaving Stephen Hill wide open. MM will pound it into him to be a little more patient, and to see the field.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    i think Geno looked solid before the interceptions piled up. that said, i see no reason why Sanchez shouldn't start the first 3 or 4 games. it would allow Geno to learn from both his own mistakes AND the mistakes Mark makes with a full playbook. if Sanchez is good, awesome. if Sanchez sucks, ok - Geno learns what not to do, and is better prepared for his first start.
    You can't really have it both ways. Well, shoot, Sanchez looks decent until he turns the ball over also. I'm not saying Geno's first extened action didn't contain positives but don't sugarcoat it. I looked at the breakdown and whoever broke it down gave Geno way too much credit. On the TD pass, he says Geno looked off his first two reads. It certainly helped that he could stand in the pocket for 4+ seconds. And BTW there wasn't a defender within 5 yards of Obomanu when Geno started to throw. Then he says Geno released too quickly and put too much mustard on the throw on the 2nd int. Well, that's what pressure does. It was a wobbly pass also, not one with too much zip on it. Then on the 3rd int. he says Geno probably had never seen that coverage before. Okay, I agree with that but that's what defense are out there to do - confuse QBs. And a zone blitz isn't that exotic in today's NFL. Even if Tuck hadn't been there, the pass was behind the receiver and the defender would've had a better chance to catch the ball than the intended receiver - just like on the 1st int.

I'm not anti-Geno but I at least want a chance to see what Sanchez can do with MM. Geno does have a much better arc and touch on his throws than Sanchez. I'll give him that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teng View Post
    You can't really have it both ways. Well, shoot, Sanchez looks decent until he turns the ball over also.
    The difference is that Sanchez is in year 5 making the same boneheaded mistakes he made in year 1 while Geno is just a rookie. With that said I would be more comfortable starting Sanchez and allow Geno to get more comfortable in the offense.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    The difference is that Sanchez is in year 5 making the same boneheaded mistakes he made in year 1 while Geno is just a rookie. With that said I would be more comfortable starting Sanchez and allow Geno to get more comfortable in the offense.
    The mistakes can be corrected for both QB's and both need work, but I believe Geno needs more work on 1) not staring down a wr, 2) Footwork, even on his td throw to Obamanu he's bouncing on his feet and barely sets. 3) his release seems delayed and sometimes looks like he's pushing the ball. 4) panic with a rush in his face, the 2nd int was just launched up for grabs due to pressure. Again these are things you'd expect from a rookie in his first NFL start , let MM and staff work to correct these things before we rush him into a bigger pressure cooker.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Diddy View Post
    MM will not have Geno throw the ball 45 times a game...
    Yes he will, it's what he does. And I'm OK with that. We aren't going to the Super Bowl this year, let's see what Geno has. If he doesn't progress over the course of a season, draft a QB in the first round next year.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    On that 2nd interception where the ball "flew" on Geno due to pressure, Mangold didn't block anyone. Powell released to pick up the blitzer on the left too late. If Mangold block the guy coming up the middle then perhaps Geno would have been comfortable shuffling to his right since Powell did get there in time to give a shove the to the guy coming in on the left. With two guys coming at him, sure, Geno lost his cool and that is on him but his was not the only breakdown on that play. (I love these GIFs)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Geno has the luxury that Mark never had: A competent OC that will correct & teach.

For instance in the last gif where Tuck intercepts the ball, his head locked onto the receiver, and/or to the left side of the field. If he simply scanned the right side, he would've seen a bltzing LBer leaving Stephen Hill wide open. MM will pound it into him to be a little more patient, and to see the field.
    You can't scan the entire field on every pass play. That was a quick read, a defensive end dropped into coverage and he didn't see him, that is all. The INT was due to him locking onto a receiver, or failing to "scan the field", he just didn't see a D-Lineman who won't be there 99% of the time.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post

So we ignore stats now and look at other things? Like maybe playoff wins?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    You can't scan the entire field on every pass play. That was a quick read, a defensive end dropped into coverage and he didn't see him, that is all. The INT was due to him locking onto a receiver, or failing to "scan the field", he just didn't see a D-Lineman who won't be there 99% of the time.
    i thought that was the most forgivable pick, a great play by tuck. and on the first pick spadola's got to at a minimum knock that ball away.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    THIS!

We know exactly what we have in Sanchez. He's in year 5. Could he get a little better? Sure, he might improve a little, reduce some mistakes, etc. But he's not going to magically transform into a Top 10 or 15 QB at this point. With Geno there is hope and promise just by the fact he hasn't yet had a chance to go through the growing pains, the learning process, etc.

Your approach is exactly what I want to see. Sanchez's injury throws a wrinkle into things but I'd like nothing more than to see Sanchez start the season, play a couple games, and then after the coaches inevitably get frustrated with some boneheaded plays or redzone turnovers, they turn to Geno and we never look back.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 08-27-2013 at 02:29 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can someone tell us what was Geno's warm up game before the ALWAYS tough 3rd game of the preseason? This wasn't a normal preseason game. This is the one where teams tend to really turn it up a bit to do a dress rehearsal and see how things are really developing. The 2 games before this were cream puff games. So Geno ends up with his 1st start coming against a keyed up legit Giants defense. Given that framework, I don't think anyone could calculate the difference in level from team practice to this kind of game. Geno had no frame of reference for this. STILL he actually had a ton more really good passes than bad ones. Especially if you look at the drops.

Too much focus on the way he looked and how his passes were just off by a fraction. These are things he can fix in 2 weeks of high rep practice. With more focus on Geno by MM and Lee I think we'll see a MUCH improved QB by the time we get to week 1. Geno's upside is HUGE compared to Mark who is basically a finished product. We already know Geno has more physical talent than Mark. I think we have to put his 1st start in perspective and I believe the Staff will look at it much differently than the media and Fans who are only looking at the INT's and Safety but not looking at the way the offense was handled in the huddle and at the line which was very smooth and went without a hitch. Most of Geno's throws were very good. The mistakes are very fixable.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    You're right. And he's probably never seen a DE drop back into coverage like that before. Snaps in game action is what he needs. He needs to recognize where the D in front of him and its going to be a learning experience for any rookie QB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    And Bingo was his name-o.

Sanchez apologists can't seem to comprehend the fact that there's a difference between a rookie making rookie mistakes and a 5th year starter making rookie mistakes.

Sanchez has been starting for almost half a decade and still can't throw a screen pass. HE'S NOT ANY GOOD! But, no, keep babying him by making excuses and comparing him to a rookie.

#yoloswag

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Most people on here who are burying Sanchez are the same people who have been burying Vlad since his first season.

Just sayin'

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    And Bingo was his name-o.

Sanchez apologists can't seem to comprehend the fact that there's a difference between a rookie making rookie mistakes and a 5th year starter making rookie mistakes.

Sanchez has been starting for almost half a decade and still can't throw a screen pass. HE'S NOT ANY GOOD! But, no, keep babying him by making excuses and comparing him to a rookie.

#yoloswag
    i liked the way geno threw the screens. gives me some hope here.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Most people on here who are burying Sanchez are the same people who have been burying Vlad since his first season.

Just sayin'
    Except Vlad's played well so far in the preseason. Sanchez? Same old ****, different year.

#yoloswag