Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What went wrong on David Wilson's 84-yard touchdown?

What went wrong on David Wilson's 84-yard touchdown?

The short answer is everything, but this takes a detailed look at the entire play:

http://www.footballperspective.com/b...inst-the-jets/

Cromartie, Allen, and Landry all make mistakes, while it's painfully obvious how much of a downgrade it is from Coples to McIntyre.

How is that McIntyre's fault? He was set as the edge rusher on that play with 2 blocker in front of him. Davis was the gap who close early.

Veteran
    You know who we are gonna miss this year in the run game???? DEVITO!!!!!

Guys
    Allen blew this play.
    Not McIntyre or Davis.
    Watch the tape again in slow -mo.

Allen!

Quote Originally Posted by Baddniss View Post
    Guys
    Allen blew this play.
    Not McIntyre or Davis.

Allen!
    Yep !!!!

it was mainly davis' fault, took the wrong angle, got caught in traffic. not sure why the hell they sent allen on a run blitz, that can backfire too and it did. it was a combination of bad playcalling and davis not being there to make the tackle and landry being slow

Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    it was mainly davis' fault, took the wrong angle, got caught in traffic. not sure why the hell they sent allen on a run blitz, that can backfire too and it did. it was a combination of bad playcalling and davis not being there to make the tackle
    No.
    Watch again.
    It was 100% Allen's fault.
    Allen was NOT blitzing, like you say. He had the outside contain , & simply was UN-disciplined, & got caught INSIDE.

The defensive play-call was fine, if Allen had done what he should have...stay outside.

When you have outside contain, YOU MUST STAY OUTSIDE.
    Its that simple.
    This play should have been a 3-yard gain...nothing more.

Watch the replay.

STAY DISCIPLINED!
    Last edited by Baddniss; 08-25-2013 at 06:15 PM.

No.
    Watch again.
    Allen was NOT blitzing, like you say. He had the outside contain , & simply was UN-disciplined, & got caught INSIDE.

The defensive play-call was fine, if Allen had done what he should have...stay outside.

Its that simple.

STAY DISCIPLINED!
    calm down rex ryan you dont know what he was supposed to do neither do i

All League
    They have been weak on the outside run all preseason

No.
    Watch again.

Its that simple.

Watch the replay.

STAY DISCIPLINED!
    David was on the RB Allen on the TE. Allen made his cover on the TE but should have read run. Davis simply blew his coverage and Allen just didnt pick up the play. I'd call it 70-30 Davis. He was looking the the neg yardage and got burned.

calm down rex ryan, you dont know what he was supposed to do, neither do i
    Sorry , but this is BASIC football.
    This is exactly what he is supposed to do.
    Its no secret.
    This isnt rocket-science.

Go talk to some people who know NFL football.
    Ask them to explain the word "contain" to you, as it applies to NFL defenses.
    You will find it interesting.

By the way, I LOVE Rex Ryan. His defenses are the NFL equivalent of "art", in my opinion.
    Last edited by Baddniss; 08-25-2013 at 06:24 PM.

All League
    I think that play was good for us. Right after it happened, it seemed to snap the D into focus and play with an edge. Sometimes you need to get embarrassed like that to get better.

All League
    Its no secret.

By the way, I LOVE Rex Ryan. His defenses are the NFL equivalent of "art", in my opinion.
    I love the guy too. He is passionate about the Jets. Hope he has a big year

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    How is that McIntyre's fault? He was set as the edge rusher on that play with 2 blocker in front of him. Davis was the gap who close early.
    That's not setting the edge. That's getting tied up by a blocker while the ball carrier blows by him.

Edit: But Allen was more to blame.
    Last edited by Jordy; 08-25-2013 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    I think that play was good for us. Right after it happened, it seemed to snap the D into focus and play with an edge. Sometimes you need to get embarrassed like that to get better.
    Maybe so, but it sure was painful to watch at the time...thank God it was only pre-season...

Its no secret.

Dude it has nothing to do with basic football or not, you have no idea what he was supposed to do because you have no idea what he was trying to do. You just assume based on what you see but again you have no clue. Whether he was supposed to come up or stay outside or inside or blitz you have absolutely no clue. All you do is judge the play based on his reaction and that doesn't work. But again I don't care. You think you're Rex Ryan you figured it all out man good for you. Why post here you should be coordinating our defense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    Guys
    Allen blew this play.
    Not McIntyre or Davis.

Allen!
    +1 and Landry's slow reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    That's not setting the edge. That's getting tied up by a blocker while the ball carrier blows by him.
    I didt say he did it well. lol. He was taken out of the play early is all I meant. I'll admit the O play called was designed to take advantage of the mismatch vs McIntyre who was playing with his hands on the ground. He never had a shot at the RB. The JETS where playing a pass and the Giants ran. Allen posted vs a TE that was in a blocking pattern made a rookie mistake. Davis saw the run and closed the hole but the RB didnt head for the hole he went wide. It drills that is still his man. I agree Allen should have picked up the run but Davis was the one who got burned. Bad play all around even on Rex's call.

I'm glad it happened in a preseason game and not a real game. But after that our defense pretty much dominated the Giants. Damon Harrison looked like a monster in the middle. Sheldon Richardson looks like the real deal. Wilkerson is a beast. We were without our starting CBs but the pressure that was generated made Eli uncomfortable. Also Darrin Walls looks like a find.

Dude it has nothing to do with basic football or not, I dont think you have no idea what he was supposed to do because you have no idea what he was trying to do. You just assume based on what you see but again I dont think you have no clue. Whether he was supposed to come up or stay outside or inside or blitz, I dont think you have absolutely no clue. All you do is judge the play based on his reaction and that doesn't work. But again I don't care. You think you're Rex Ryan you figured it all out man good for you. Why post here you should be coordinating our defense
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

"Setting The Edge" and "Containment" are things we teach IN HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL. Sorry to hear that they are concepts that you cannot understand.
    But, in spite of your "issues" with them, many 16 year olds have absolutely no trouble understanding them.
    Most people here at JI do understand what these basic things are, and are able to discuss them and analyze them. If you arent able to do that, its ok. But dont tell us what we can or cannot post. Beat it...LOL
    Last edited by Baddniss; 08-25-2013 at 09:27 PM.