Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 62

Thread: What went wrong on David Wilson's 84-yard touchdown?

  1. #21
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,846
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    I'm glad it happened in a preseason game and not a real game. But after that our defense pretty much dominated the Giants. Damon Harrison looked like a monster in the middle. Sheldon Richardson looks like the real deal. Wilkerson is a beast. We were without our starting CB, but the pressure that was generated made Eli uncomfortable. Also Darrin Walls looks like a find.
    Yup.
    But we still need another EXPERIENCED Safety. I'm not saying it needs to be Ed Reed, but Jim Leonard, K-Rhodes, etc were all better players than what we have back there now...

  2. #22
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    25,869
    Post Thanks / Like
    The safety (Allen) didn't fill his gap, and then hesitated while Wilson ran right past him.

  3. #23
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,846
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    The safety (Allen) didn't fill his gap, and then hesitated while Wilson ran right past him.
    exactly, its embarrassing. This guy is our starting safety...

  4. #24
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,036
    Post Thanks / Like
    Allen blew that play.

  5. #25
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,857
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Baddniss View Post
    "Setting The Edge" and "Containment" are things we teach IN HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL. Sorry to hear that they are concepts that you cannot understand.
    But, in spite of your "issues" with them, many 16 year olds have absolutely no trouble understanding them.
    Most people here at JI do understand what these basic things are, and are able to discuss them and analyze them. If you arent able to do that, its ok. But dont tell us what we can or cannot post. Beat it...LOL
    who is this "us" you're speaking of? im talking to you wannabe rex ryan. all you do here is somehow try to protect your man davis by bashing somebody else even though you have no clue what you're talking about. again, nfl isnt madden. i know in your simple mind its too complicated to understand that what you see on the field is not what you get, otherwise playing football at that level would be pretty easy. but you figured it all out like i said, you know exactly what allen was supposed to do and what he was trying to do (big difference there but i have lost all hope that you are capable of understanding that by now). what if he didnt do what he was supposed to do? that changes the entire design of the play. so you basing all that off everybody doing the correct thing is pretty hilarious. but hey go right ahead keyboard scout. you make bill walsh look clueless. keep studying those "basic concepts" rex lmao

  6. #26
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,857
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    The safety (Allen) didn't fill his gap, and then hesitated while Wilson ran right past him.
    the same can be said about demario who tries to shoot the gap, then gets caught inside and is unable to make the tackle because he got sucked in way too much. dont tell me that demario did his job there, he got too greedy and tried to make a play in the backfield, one cut to the outside by wilson and davis was out of position to make the play where it was supposed to be made. but people in here for some reason are trying to protect him despite playing subpar in the preseason so far to say the least

  7. #27
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,846
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    who is this "us" you're speaking of? im talking to you wannabe rex ryan. all you do here is somehow try to protect your man davis by bashing somebody else even though you have no clue what you're talking about. again, nfl isnt madden. i know in your simple mind its too complicated to understand that what you see on the field is not what you get, otherwise playing football at that level would be pretty easy. but you figured it all out like i said, you know exactly what allen was supposed to do and what he was trying to do (big difference there but i have lost all hope that you are capable of understanding that by now). what if he didnt do what he was supposed to do? that changes the entire design of the play. so you basing all that off everybody doing the correct thing is pretty hilarious. but hey go right ahead keyboard scout. you make bill walsh look clueless. keep studying those "basic concepts" rex lmao
    Just to show you how stupid you are:

    1). I have never played Madden Football in my life.
    2). I dont like the way Davis is playing either.

    Now, dont you feel stupid?
    You have made up all of these twisted things in your head. They dont exist in real life...only in your head...Hello!

    Your idiotic comment of "Your man Davis" is nothing short of delusional. Where (ever) in this entire website have you ever seen me make ANY comment supporting Davis's play this pre-season?

    Hint: You haven't.

    Dude, put down the crack-pipe before you post...you're way out in the ozone...get sober before you post or the Mods will throw you off the website.


    (Unless, of course, you are one of Allen's flunkies , or his brother-in-law, or in his entourage. Then it makes perfect sense that you mindlessly defend him regardless of how silly you look to the rest of us. If that IS the case, then we totally understand your bizarre behavior).
    Last edited by Baddniss; 08-26-2013 at 05:06 AM.

  8. #28
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,857
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a tool box this kid is. Stop trying to explain anything to anybody, mentally you're not capable of doing anything except sit on a couch and watch ESPN highlights for 5 minutes . That's your football knowledge you clown


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

  9. #29
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,036
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    the same can be said about demario who tries to shoot the gap, then gets caught inside and is unable to make the tackle because he got sucked in way too much. dont tell me that demario did his job there, he got too greedy and tried to make a play in the backfield, one cut to the outside by wilson and davis was out of position to make the play where it was supposed to be made. but people in here for some reason are trying to protect him despite playing subpar in the preseason so far to say the least
    Davis made the proper read. He plugged the gap. if he shoots to the outside Wilson simply just runs inside. Maybe not for 84 yds but a good 10 is there. He did his job. Allen *****footing up to the line of scrimmage should be on the outside shoulder of Brandon Myers so he can either turn the play inside or string it out to the sideline.
    Allen was the "main" reason the play went for 84 yds.
    I did think because of the giants alignment Harris should have been head up on the center. But I don't know the defense they were in.
    from the looks of it the giants were running a inside counter play and brown just had awesome vision and bounced it out.
    Allen played it wrong not Davis.

  10. #30
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,857
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a ILB you can't get caught in traffic inside and let the guy get to the outside since the OLB is setting the edge. Period . Makes no sense


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

  11. #31
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    25,869
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    the same can be said about demario who tries to shoot the gap, then gets caught inside and is unable to make the tackle because he got sucked in way too much. dont tell me that demario did his job there, he got too greedy and tried to make a play in the backfield, one cut to the outside by wilson and davis was out of position to make the play where it was supposed to be made. but people in here for some reason are trying to protect him despite playing subpar in the preseason so far to say the least
    I have to watch the play again, but I could have thought Davis was supposed to shoot the gap by design, and that's why the safety's responsibility was that gap.

  12. #32
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,857
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I have to watch the play again, but I could have thought Davis was supposed to shoot the gap by design, and that's why the safety's responsibility was that gap.
    I don't have a problem with people saying it the way you do. But that other toolbox acts like he knows for a fact who was supposed to do what like he read the playbook and then just comes up with this basic concepts crap he learned in the video games area talking madden football. We don't know who was supposed to do what or who made the wrong or right reads . So you can't say 100 percent for sure what happened.

    But to me it makes no sense for the OLBs to set the edge and then have the ILB rush up the middle. How does that make sense? Of course the safety wil be blamed as well but it all already fell apart before the runner moved past our safeties. And that's Because Davis tried to make a play in the backfield instead of being patient. Doesn't mean Allen did everything right just for the record. He clearly messd up as well


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

  13. #33
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,036
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    As a ILB you can't get caught in traffic inside and let the guy get to the outside since the OLB is setting the edge. Period . Makes no sense


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    If your implying that Davis was playing OLB in a 4-3 you would be correct. but if hes playing ILB you are wrong. your flow is always inside out. your keys are the guards and FB. he did the right thing on that play. your not giving Wilson the credit he deserves for using his eyes to bounce an inside run outside. Allen didn't keep his discipline. I think Harris prob being misaligned played a big factor.

    Edit: honestly the more i look at it. it just seems we were just terribly misaligned and Wilson saw that a weak side counter was shut down and decided to go the other way. kudos for him. and i keep calling Wilson Brown because they keep talking about his injury behind me.
    Last edited by SgtAshton; 08-26-2013 at 06:21 AM.

  14. #34
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    25,869
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    I don't have a problem with people saying it the way you do. But that other toolbox acts like he knows for a fact who was supposed to do what like he read the playbook and then just comes up with this basic concepts crap he learned in the video games area talking madden football. We don't know who was supposed to do what or who made the wrong or right reads . So you can't say 100 percent for sure what happened.

    But to me it makes no sense for the OLBs to set the edge and then have the ILB rush up the middle. How does that make sense? Of course the safety wil be blamed as well but it all already fell apart before the runner moved past our safeties. And that's Because Davis tried to make a play in the backfield instead of being patient. Doesn't mean Allen did everything right just for the record. He clearly messd up as well


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    I have to watch it again, to be honest. I thought it was a "run blitz" of sorts - when the LBs shoot the gaps when a running play is identified, the OLB sets the edge and the safety steps up to fill the last gap. If Allen filled the gap, no gain - and/or Wilson bounces to the outside and the play gets strung out.

    I'll watch the highlights. Regardless, Wilson is an explosive player. He's like Marcel Reece from Oakland, I suppose. (too soon?)

  15. #35
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,846
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post
    Davis made the proper read. He plugged the gap. if he shoots to the outside ,Wilson simply just runs inside.

    Allen played it wrong not Davis.
    Of course...you are correct.
    This joker (D-balls) knows nothing about football. He is just some spammer. Dont waste your time...

  16. #36
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,846
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I have to watch the play again, but I could have thought Davis was supposed to shoot the gap by design.
    Of course.
    This is exactly why the defense was designed properly on this play.
    It was only Allen's mis-play that turned a normal 2-3 yard gain into the long TD.
    You are 100% correct.

    Tell that to The Knucklehead who keeps posting nonsense in this thread.

  17. #37
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,846
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    . Doesn't mean Allen did everything right, just for the record. He clearly messd up as well.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    LOL...keep back-peddeling now, you'll reach the 50 yard line soon...LOL

  18. #38
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,012
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the upper right side of the picture below...Allen has been moving forward...and he's now on the 20. You can the Eli is in the process on handing off to Wilson.



    Now he either makes a wrong read here or he's just plain guessing. Allen is moving as if Wilson is going to cut inside the tackle. He should not be shooting into this gap. At least not to be so quick to shoot it...cause he's the last resort to seal the edge if the RB makes a sharp cut outside of the tackle.



    Wison sees Allen has committed to the inside gap. So he's going to cut it outside the tackle.



    Wilson has cut to the outside. and Allen has taken himself out of the play as he's stuck in the inside with the tackle. You can also see there's nobody left to seal the edge. Cro is effectively going to be blocked...he cannot shed. In fact the blocker to me looked like he had a hold of the arm or the sleeve of Cro's jersey, when I saw the replay.



    Wilson zooms by his WR's block of Cro...and he's off to the races.



    Nobody is going to catch Wilson. As i said...Allen is the safety with outside containment responsibilities...if it was a run play instead of a pass.



    Others made mistakes too. But the safety Allen has to be the one here to have last resort containment on a run play like this.

  19. #39
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Roslyn
    Posts
    6,862
    Post Thanks / Like
    The effort by Cromartie to get rid of his blocker was extremely poor. To me his getting pushed wide on the play made it a ridiculous hole that no one player could have filled.

  20. #40
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,915
    Post Thanks / Like
    No matter how you show it that is Davis that lost his man and got boxed in. Blaming Allen because he picked up his assignment instead of trying to read the play is a bit of a stretch. He was on a cover play and was brought in by the TE. Should he have backed Davis up yes but that is a rookie error. Not every player can read and react when someone else misses his target like that. To say he is more to blame then the guy that was spotting the RB makes no sense at all to me. The whole side broke down but that was Davis's man to begin with I am sorry.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us