Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anthony Becht analysis of Geno

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    He's right but Jets fans won't listen.
    I didn't watch the game but it is encouraging to hear someone have a positive analysis of his first game. He can learn from that game and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    LOL, you can't stand postive Jets news? You must read every negative Manish tweet at least 30 times a day to get your daily allotment of negativity.
    He chokes his and Manish's chicken everytime some negative tweet pops up anywhere on the net, bunch of homos

Becht offers unique assessment of Geno
    BY NICK ST. DENIS

Geno Smith made his first professional start Saturday in the New York Jets' exhibition contest with the cross-town New York Giants.

At the end of the night, Smith's stat line looked as follows: 16-of-30 for 199 yards, one touchdown and three interceptions over three quarters of action. Those sub-par numbers coupled with Mark Sanchez's injury had fans, bloggers and the media up in arms about the state of the Jets' quarterback corps.

Sunday, former Jets tight end and NBC Sports football analyst Anthony Becht took to his Twitter account to sing an original tune regarding Smith's performance.

Here's Becht's analysis (converted from a sequence of tweets and cleaned up a little for blog purposes):
    "After watching last nights game, Geno Smith's performance was one of most accurate I've seen a QB in NY since Chad Pennington. Stop reading the papers, reading terrible tweets and looking at stat lines.
    Lets start with the INTs:
    (1) Spadola catches the ball then the DB takes it from him... not Geno's fault. (2) Throws ball across middle with pressure in face. Geno must stand in and deliver that ball... play he can learn from. Confidence to do that will come. (3) Tuck makes a great play and surprises him... it happens. Geno's eyes never saw him, D makes good play.
    So in my eyes, 1 bad INT. Outside of that folks, wake up. Geno was dropping perfect passes across the board for 3 quarters. Add on 5 DROPS -- 3 by Kerley and 1 each by a RB and FB. For the game, I only saw 3 bad balls... one of which was INT over throw to Winslow.
    Jets fans, if you don't get excited about the QB, you're seriously lacking in your ability to judge good football play. Off [his] performance, there's no question Geno Smith is the game 1 starter vs the Bucs. Folks, I'm not SHOWING ANY FAVORITISM towards Geno because he went to West Virginia.
    THE TAPE DOESN'T LIE! And neither does my assessment."

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    If you look at the NFL % stats from 2012, that's about 16 spots on the leaders list. Just saying.
    You really want to try and make it seems like the 7% difference between Mark and Geno is a big deal in Mark's favor? REALLY? If the Jets WR's and RB's didn't drop 5 perfect passes there's your difference right there. Mark is in his 5th yr and he needed some drops on Geno passes in order to have a 7% lead? Geno is 22 of 37 and if you don't have those 5 drops he 27 of 37 then Geno would be at 72.9%. All of a sudden everyone has a different take on the comparison so far. I think it's highly probable that Geno can make the corrections and put up much better numbers while reducing his turnovers.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Look at the play again. The throw was right into Spadola's hands. Seriously it was in his hands! How is that a bad throw? Prince when healthy is the best CB the Giants has. I am not sure what games youve seen him play but he has misses a lot for injury.
    If he was in the open field and dropped it we would be reading how he sucks.

The ball was barely behind him, it was on his hip, a ball he has to catch. WOrse he can't let a defender take it away from him, either he catches it or it goes to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    LOL, you can't stand postive Jets news? You must read every negative Manish tweet at least 30 times a day to get your daily allotment of negativity.
    I don't understand why that negative troll [Namath] even bothers posting on this site. As I said yesterday, hope he GTFO.

Hahahaha ha ... Anthony Freaking Becht ... Really ???

You know what's great ... No need to justify Simms performance ... Because it was ... You know ... Good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Marty and his staff will watch the tape and break it down. These are the people who will be the final judges. Certainly there was much that needs to corrected and they will take that in to account. Also Mark injury will play into the plan on who best to start.
    Yet all those who feel Geno is not ready to start seem to fail to recognize it was the kids first real action against a hostile defense.
    Last edited by fltflo; 08-25-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Diddy View Post
    Spadola caught that ball and let the prince take it from him. pass wasnt perfect but that is on spadola, its basically a fumble.
    I am amazed how many people are saying this -- the ball was right in the CBs breadbasket. Sure you could say Spadola should have tried to knock it down, but he had a MUCH harder time of getting a good grip on that pass than the defender did . . .

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I am amazed how many people are saying this -- the ball was right in the CBs breadbasket. Sure you could say Spadola should have tried to knock it down, but he had a MUCH harder time of getting a good grip on that pass than the defender did . . .
    The ball was on his hands. He let it get taken from him. Princes positioning was right there he had a clear shot at taking it away but it was on Spadolas hands first, not in Princes breadbasket/

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsluva View Post
    You really want to try and make it seems like the 7% difference between Mark and Geno is a big deal in Mark's favor? REALLY? If the Jets WR's and RB's didn't drop 5 perfect passes there's your difference right there. Mark is in his 5th yr and he needed some drops on Geno passes in order to have a 7% lead? Geno is 22 of 37 and if you don't have those 5 drops he 27 of 37 then Geno would be at 72.9%. All of a sudden everyone has a different take on the comparison so far. I think it's highly probable that Geno can make the corrections and put up much better numbers while reducing his turnovers.
    Dude, I get you hate Sanchez, but c'mon, a little rational thought never hurt anyone.

Mark has had a BUNCH of completions that turned into interceptions -- were you defending him at the time?

Mark has had a BUNCH of dropped passes -- were you defending him at the time?

Yeah Mark's been in the league for 4 years, but Geno has three years of college under his belt -- does that cut Mark ANY slack?

Yeah Mark has been brutal the past two years, but Geno arguably had more talent on his WV team than Mark did on the Jets.

Point is, there's nothing wrong with saying Geno had a bad game. He doesn't have to be better than Mark yet. But when you go SO out of your way to "prove" that he is, you just end up hurting your own argument . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    The ball was on his hands. He let it get taken from him. Princes positioning was right there he had a clear shot at taking it away but it was on Spadolas hands first, not in Princes breadbasket/
    Agree to disagree. I watched every replay and while Spadola touched it first, it was a MUCH easier catch for Prince to make, especially since he was moving TOWARD the ball while Spadola was moving AWAY.

If Spadola wasn't there it would have looked like Geno was throwing a perfect in-stride pass to the defender . . .

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    If you look at the NFL % stats from 2012, that's about 16 spots on the leaders list. Just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Dude, I get you hate Sanchez, but c'mon, a little rational thought never hurt anyone.

Mark has had a BUNCH of completions that turned into interceptions -- were you defending him at the time?

Mark has had a BUNCH of dropped passes -- were you defending him at the time?

Yeah Mark's been in the league for 4 years, but Geno has three years of college under his belt -- does that cut Mark ANY slack?

Yeah Mark has been brutal the past two years, but Geno arguably had more talent on his WV team than Mark did on the Jets.

Point is, there's nothing wrong with saying Geno had a bad game. He doesn't have to be better than Mark yet. But when you go SO out of your way to "prove" that he is, you just end up hurting your own argument . . .
    You just don't get the point of what I posted. It's not to say Geno is Better than mark right now. It's to illustrate that people aren't using any perspective when making a judgment of where Geno is at in the process. They are VERY close even tho it looks like Mark is way ahead. If you look at the small margin of error here then those 5 drops were huge for Geno. It takes him from 72.9% down to 59.5%. Each one of those drops on perfectly thrown balls made a huge difference. It's not just that. There's also the idea that if you don't account for strength of competition then you're also not being realistic. There's a HUGE gap between Geno facing his 1st big test against the Giants D verses Mark facing the Jags and Lions as a 5th yr vet. When making your calculation of Geno's performance you have to take these things into account. Also the fact that Geno didn't play in last weeks game. So he went from 7 passes in his 1st game, Injury hampered practice, no game and then the Giants in a mini rivalry game. HUGE difference in circumstances there. So I grade Geno's performance vs. Mark's on that curve. Perhaps you just look at everything the same with no intelligent observation, but I don't. Mark faced ZERO adversity and easy competition. If you can't see that then fine live in your fantasy world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsluva View Post
    you sound like a Sanchez apologist.

Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    Marty and his staff will watch the tape and break it down. These are the people who will be the final judges. Certainly there was much that needs to corrected and they will take that in to account. Also Mark injury will play into the plan on who best to start.
    Yet all those who feel Geno is not ready to start seem to fail to recognize it was the kids first real action against a hostile defense.
    No were the same people who didn't expect him to light it up because he was a raw rookie with no NFL experience - hence he's not ready. Were not overreacting its those who have an urgent need to have Geno start week 1 that are making this an issue.