Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Becht analysis of Geno

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Anthony Becht analysis of Geno

Becht offers unique assessment of Geno
    BY NICK ST. DENIS

Geno Smith made his first professional start Saturday in the New York Jets' exhibition contest with the cross-town New York Giants.

At the end of the night, Smith's stat line looked as follows: 16-of-30 for 199 yards, one touchdown and three interceptions over three quarters of action. Those sub-par numbers coupled with Mark Sanchez's injury had fans, bloggers and the media up in arms about the state of the Jets' quarterback corps.

Sunday, former Jets tight end and NBC Sports football analyst Anthony Becht took to his Twitter account to sing an original tune regarding Smith's performance.

Here's Becht's analysis (converted from a sequence of tweets and cleaned up a little for blog purposes):
    "After watching last nights game, Geno Smith's performance was one of most accurate I've seen a QB in NY since Chad Pennington. Stop reading the papers, reading terrible tweets and looking at stat lines.*
    Lets start with the INTs:*
    (1) Spadola catches the ball then the DB takes it from him... not Geno's fault. (2) Throws ball across middle with pressure in face. Geno must stand in and deliver that ball... play he can learn from. Confidence to do that will come. (3) Tuck makes a great play and surprises him... it happens. Geno's eyes never saw him, D makes good play.*
    So in my eyes, 1 bad INT. Outside of that folks, wake up. Geno was dropping perfect passes across the board for 3 quarters. Add on 5 DROPS -- 3 by Kerley and 1 each by a RB and FB. For the game, I only saw 3 bad balls... one of which was INT over throw to Winslow.*
    Jets fans, if you don't get excited about the QB, you're seriously lacking in your ability to judge good football play. Off [his] performance, there's no question Geno Smith is the game 1 starter vs the Bucs. Folks, I'm not SHOWING ANY FAVORITISM towards Geno because he went to West Virginia.*
    THE TAPE DOESN'T LIE! And neither does my assessment."

@Anthony_Becht: #JETS FANS GET YOUR MINDS RIGHT HERE COMES MY ASSESSMENT ON GENO SMITH

@Anthony_Becht: #Jetsnation after watching last nights game GenoSmiths performance was one of most accurate I've seen a QB in NY since Chad Pennington..cont

@Anthony_Becht: (#Jets cont).. stop reading the papers,reading terrible tweets and looking at stat lines. Lets start w/ the INTs. (1) Spadola catches...cont

@Anthony_Becht: the ball then the DB takes it from him...not Geno's fault. (2) throws ball across middle with pressure in face..Geno must stand in...cont

@Anthony_Becht: (#Jets cont)..and deliver that ball..play he can learn from..confidence to do that will come. (3) Tuck makes a great play & surprises..cont

@Anthony_Becht: him..it happens..Geno's eyes never saw him..D makes good play. So in my eyes (1) bad INT. Outside of that folks wake up. Geno was ...cont

@Anthony_Becht: dropping perfect passes across the board for 3 Qtrs. Add on (5) DROPS.. (3) by Kerley and (1) each by RB & FB. For the game I only...cont

@Anthony_Becht: saw 3 bad balls..one of which was INT over throw to Winslow. #Jets fans if you don't get excited about the QB your seriously lacking..cont

@Anthony_Becht: in your ability to judge good football play. Off performance there's no question Geno Smith is the game 1 starter vs the #Bucs

@Anthony_Becht: @ProFootballTalk your assessment on Geno is dead wrong my friend...but your entitled to your opinion #jets

@Anthony_Becht: Folks I'm not SHOWING ANY FAVORITISM towards Geno. THE TAPE DOESN'T LIE! And neither does my assessment

Anthony Becht ‏@Anthony_Becht 3m
    My analysis means nothing as far as Geno's future, but just from last nights first opportunity w/ 1's...he took advantage #jets
    Last edited by J-Diddy; 08-25-2013 at 06:49 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anthony Becht. Hahahahahaha. Another bum we dont need to be reminded of.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's considered analysis?

#yoloswag

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If anyone should know about dropped passes, it's Anthony Becht.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    That's considered analysis?

#yoloswag
    I actually reads smoothly if you can overlook the tweet format.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    the picks stink, but i thought only 1 of them was 'bad'. and for most of geno's throws, i thought he put the ball in the guys' hands where he could catch and run. and i also thought he showed good pocked awareness.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is just talking up his fellow WVU alum.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Very Funny!! And how true!!!

To the OP I am glad to see this "assessment" it definitely makes me feel better... So thank you...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Stonehands Becht.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    the picks stink, but i thought only 1 of them was 'bad'. and for most of geno's throws, i thought he put the ball in the guys' hands where he could catch and run. and i also thought he showed good pocked awareness.
    Spadola caught that ball and let the prince take it from him. pass wasnt perfect but that is on spadola, its basically a fumble.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Anthony Becht. Hahahahahaha. Another bum we dont need to be reminded of.
    LOL, you can't stand postive Jets news? You must read every negative Manish tweet at least 30 times a day to get your daily allotment of negativity.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    I feel confident in saying that two of the INT's (the 2nd and 3rd one) were "bad."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's right but Jets fans won't listen.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like what I wrote in anther thread. I agree one bad INT the other 2 where both great D plays. Drops never help Kerley had a bad day. I agree with him most of Genos passes where on spot. He isnt wrong in this.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Diddy View Post
    Spadola caught that ball and let the prince take it from him. pass wasnt perfect but that is on spadola, its basically a fumble.
    Spadola never actually had the ball.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I feel confident in saying that two of the INT's (the 2nd and 3rd one) were "bad."
    Even the first pass was somewhat on Geno as it was behind him, but Spadola has to do a better job of making sure he gets the catch or the DB does not. Spadola is young and will learn that. The other 2 were bad. There were definitely some bad throws mixed in with some good throws. As was noted in another thread, how bad did Dalton look against us in that preseason game of his rookie year. I thought he was going to be putrid. He still was named the game 1 starter and things turned out OK for him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gee let's see what a WVU alum is going to say about a fellow Mountineer. Stick to something your good at Becht - dropping passes.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    LOL, you can't stand postive Jets news? You must read every negative Manish tweet at least 30 times a day to get your daily allotment of negativity.
    I can't stand miserable clowns like that guy, the absolute worst.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Even the first pass was somewhat on Geno as it was behind him, but Spadola has to do a better job of making sure he gets the catch or the DB does not. Spadola is young and will learn that. The other 2 were bad. There were definitely some bad throws mixed in with some good throws.
    Wow. We actually just agreed on something that could be perceived as negative.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark has had 2 preseason starts and basically those teams STUNK. He had 5 more pass attempts than Geno and is at 66.7%. Geno is at 59.5%. So basically we're talking about Mark being 7% better so far. PLEASE!

People are not looking at this with any kind of perspective. Geno got his 1st start against a legit Giants team. That's a real test for any rookie. Geno didn't even have the benefit of playing last week to get a warm up. So yes he threw 2 really bad INT's but let's keep it in perspective. He can learn from this and get better. You can't predict anything from one game!!! What we did see is that he can make the throws. Imagine him with more confidence and after more reps where he can develop more rapport with his receivers. Let's remember Mark has been only 7% better so far and he's a 5th yr vet. Geno is just coming of his FIRST start.