Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: Mark Sanchez has thrown 3 or more interceptions in a game eight times in his career.

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    So is the point you're making is...How much worse can Geno really be?

    Sanchez is what he is, he'll have about the same amount of TDs as INT's - completion % just over 50 - and rank in the bottom 5 in QBR. So Geno had a poor performance in his first pre-season game. So what??? How much worse can he really be than Sanchez?
    agreed. and for all who think sanchez looks so much better this preseason, well, the stats continue to be the same. there's a turnover for every td.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I am having a hard time understanding these media idiots who want to anoint Sanchez as the starter simply because Geno threw 3 picks in his first preseason game. When Mark threw 5 picks against the Bills why wasn't he benched for Clemens? I mean 3 picks is such a disaster of epic proportions that proves Geno isn't ready right so what does 5 picks in a real game mean? A QB who threw 3 or more int 4 times in his rookie year was never benched and "took" them to the AFC championship game right? If you actually bothered to analyze the game and count the 4 drops Geno threw well over 60% and proved enough to get the nod opening day.
    I want Geno to prove to me he's not Sanchez 2.0 before I see him on the field with the opportunity to prove that he is . . .

  3. #23
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I am having a hard time understanding these media idiots who want to anoint Sanchez as the starter simply because Geno threw 3 picks in his first preseason game. When Mark threw 5 picks against the Bills why wasn't he benched for Clemens? I mean 3 picks is such a disaster of epic proportions that proves Geno isn't ready right so what does 5 picks in a real game mean? A QB who threw 3 or more int 4 times in his rookie year was never benched and "took" them to the AFC championship game right? If you actually bothered to analyze the game and count the 4 drops Geno threw well over 60% and proved enough to get the nod opening day.
    Maybe another way of looking at it is that the Jets made a mistake of naming Sanchez the starting QB in 2009 as a rookie and they should avoid doing the same thing with Geno?

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    sanchez has 69 ints and 26 fumbles in 4 seasons (17 lost). in 4 years his overall qb rating is 71.7 and his completion % is 55.1. he has 68 passing tds and 12 more rushing, for 80 total. so that's 86 turnovers and 80 tds. this preseason he's got 2 td passes, 2 picks and a fumble.

    based on last year's stats, his 71.7 rating ranks him 31st (where he was last season) among qbs in 2012 and his completion % ranks him 29th.
    All your stats are meaningless, its like looking at Geno's stats from WVU and sayin he's gonna throw 71 td's this year or whatever crazy number he put up last year.

    What can you take away from them ,yes Sanchez has had an issue with turnovers previously in a different offense with completely different offensive coaches.

    You can't predict future stats based on prior stats unless all the conditions remain the same.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    All your stats are meaningless, its like looking at Geno's stats from WVU and sayin he's gonna throw 71 td's this year or whatever crazy number he put up last year.

    What can you take away from them ,yes Sanchez has had an issue with turnovers previously in a different offense with completely different offensive coaches.

    You can't predict future stats based on prior stats unless all the conditions remain the same.
    as a statistician, i disagree with your assertion.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    as a statistician, i disagree with your assertion.
    Enlighten me how so ??

  7. #27
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,492
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    All your stats are meaningless, its like looking at Geno's stats from WVU and sayin he's gonna throw 71 td's this year or whatever crazy number he put up last year.

    What can you take away from them ,yes Sanchez has had an issue with turnovers previously in a different offense with completely different offensive coaches.

    You can't predict future stats based on prior stats unless all the conditions remain the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    as a statistician, i disagree with your assertion.
    I can see where Mehl is coming from.

    I've contended all along, not in hindsight, that we never had a system in place that played to Sanchez' strengths on a consistent basis.

    He had one OC for 3 years who had no idea how to make in-game adjustments and he had one OC last year who made Rex Ryan look like an offensive genius.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Enlighten me how so ??
    in short, the more evidence you have, the less likely something will radically change. the jets don't have many proven weapons, the running game looks weak, and sanchez has turned it over 3 times vs. 2 tds this preseason alone. sure, the new offense may improve every qb's stats - lost in geno's 3 picks and safety was that he led 2 td drives - but that doesn't mean sanchez will improve to the extent to approach even an average qb.

    as points of reference, in 2012, the 16th best qb rating was 85.3 and the 16th best completion % was 60.6%. odds are sanchez does not suddenly get to these metrics, especially with his supporting cast. if you give the jets calvin johnson and adrien peterson and jason witten, then i would think there's a chance to see substantial improvement. but then again, if you gave the jets those guys, i think most qbs would still be better than sanchez.

  9. #29
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    northern jersey
    Posts
    3,165
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    agreed. and for all who think sanchez looks so much better this preseason, well, the stats continue to be the same. there's a turnover for every td.
    Aug, you have been the leader of "the Jets have not drafted offensive playmakers" bandwagon, yet you continue to bash Mark as though he's had them. And of course let's not forget that the fact that the Offensive coaching has been abysmal.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Aug, you have been the leader of "the Jets have not drafted offensive playmakers" bandwagon, yet you continue to bash Mark as though he's had them. And of course let's not forget that the fact that the Offensive coaching has been abysmal.
    not having offensive playmakers is one thing. but throwing the pick 6 and the fumbled snap have nothing to do with that. those are blatant qb mistakes.

  11. #31
    Why are people ignoring the fact that Sanchez has been extremely mediocre in all of his action in the preseason. He is extremely lucky to have only thrown 2 picks, while Geno could have made the same throws and only had 1 or 2. He has shown himself to be the same player this preseason as he always has, so there is no logical reason to think he will improve. It is logical to think that a rookie QB will learn from his mistakes and improve. Sanchez had a chance last week to seize the competition and failed, just like Geno failed Saturday. But since there is no separation you go with the rookie. A rookie by the way that showed better mobility than Sanchez, better accuracy, better ball placement, the ability to throw a screen, and the ability to recover from turnovers. Sanchez has lost his composure and went into the tank each time he threw a pick. Playing Sanchez again is completely idiotic.

  12. #32
    Bottom line - Geno has the potential to learn from his mistakes and be an outstanding QB. For Sanchez, sadly, that ship has sailed.

  13. #33
    Neither QB is playing well. It isn't useful to discount Sanchez's performance this year based on what he did in prior years, especially when those were under very different offensive systems. It is equally useless to discount Smith's bad performances (apparently both in games and practice) because he's a rookie or because he's not Sanchez. Sanchez, it seems, is winning the competition in the eyes of the CS.

    If Smith is not substantially outperforming Sanchez then I would rather see the team make the investment in Smith that it didn't make in Sanchez (or many other players drafted) by sitting him on the bench and letting him learn the NFL, observe the game and work with a QB coach. It doesn't make sense to play the QB who is performing worse and it especially doesn't make sense in the long term to keep throwing QBs on the field right out of the draft in hopes that we drafted a Luck or Wilson and that the QB will continue to perform well instead of giving us a couple good years and hitting a plateau. The underlying problem at QB isn't that we have several guys who are impressing, it's that we don't have a way out of that problem. Build a system to develop QBs, whether you are drafting them, trading for them, or signing out of FA.

    Lacking a system to develop players is this team's biggest problem right now. I don't know how much of that is CS vs. FO vs. owner not wanting to cough up the cash but that is definitely the #1 problem to address. Tanny's method was to try to buy talent but as we have seen, it is neither an effective system nor a sustainable system. I don't know how much Rex controls that process but if he is still trying to hawk that system then he needs to knock it off or get replaced.

  14. #34
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    L.I. NY (where the Jets used to be from)
    Posts
    13,412
    Smith shouldn't start the season for one simple reason.

    Whoever starts this season is going to get killed and look bad doing it.

    At this point who cares how Sanchez feels after each crappy bone-rattling performance?

    Let watch and learn for a while before he has to take his lumps.

    It might save his careeer, both physically and psychologically.

  15. #35
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,112
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Mark won the competition. He should start simply because of that. You can't have a competition and deny the rightful winner of his prize simply because you don't like him.

    #yoloswag
    Only if he is healthy.

  16. #36
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,112
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Like it or not, competition over
    yep

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Only if he is healthy.
    Obviously, but that goes for everyone.

    #yoloswag

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I am having a hard time understanding these media idiots who want to anoint Sanchez as the starter simply because Geno threw 3 picks in his first preseason game. When Mark threw 5 picks against the Bills why wasn't he benched for Clemens? I mean 3 picks is such a disaster of epic proportions that proves Geno isn't ready right so what does 5 picks in a real game mean? A QB who threw 3 or more int 4 times in his rookie year was never benched and "took" them to the AFC championship game right? If you actually bothered to analyze the game and count the 4 drops Geno threw well over 60% and proved enough to get the nod opening day.
    It's quite simple ... Mark was the 5th pick overall ... Smith was 39th ... And the third pick for the Jets.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    Smith shouldn't start the season for one simple reason.

    Whoever starts this season is going to get killed and look bad doing it.

    At this point who cares how Sanchez feels after each crappy bone-rattling performance?

    Let watch and learn for a while before he has to take his lumps.

    It might save his careeer, both physically and psychologically.
    The Oline has actually been very good in pass protection so far & that is without setting on the guard positions. Listen, you make it sound like each & every team we play will be great defensively.
    There are 2 teams with great defenses left in this league, the Niners & Seahawks. All the rest Blah.
    He won't be facing the same Steelers team, or the same Saints with Roman Harper, other than the Bengals & Texans most of the defenses in the AFC are average.
    There are no fearsome foursome, or sack exchange, or doomsday defenses anymore.
    This league has been pussied down so you can throw guys out there.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    It's quite simple ... Mark was the 5th pick overall ... Smith was 39th ... And the third pick for the Jets.
    Did he take into account the Dan Orlovsky move?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us