Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 91

Thread: Syria

  1. #41
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    Yes. He could've ordered a military action.
    You mean his Original Plan?

    Before he found out no one in the World was with him on it, and then that the American people were leaning 80%+ against the idea?

    No U.S. action in Syria is warranted.....unless you are a Bush-ite NeoCon.

  2. #42
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,523
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since when is Obama so blood thirsty? This idiot was supposed to get us out of these wars. Now he is getting us into another one. If anyone thinks that this will be over in days rather than weeks then you are an idiot and I have a bridge to sell you.

    Lets create another power vacuum so another country can fall to radical Islam. These dictators are the lesser of two evils, we just need to realize unfortunate truth that and move on. Hit them in their purse strings and hope for the best.

  3. #43
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,312
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    You mean his Original Plan?

    Before he found out no one in the World was with him on it, and then that the American people were leaning 80%+ against the idea?

    No U.S. action in Syria is warranted.....unless you are a Bush-ite NeoCon.
    I wouldn't trust this idiot to handle the bombing correctly anyway.

  4. #44
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,552
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    Yes. He could've ordered a military action.
    Lol. As if that wasn't his original plan. Until he realized he would have been impeached (as his Biden promised he would to Bush).

  5. #45
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Farmingdale, NY
    Posts
    2,520
    Post Thanks / Like
    The fact that we haven't acted yet is good.

    Alls I'm sayin', Potato.

  6. #46
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Posts
    4,779
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Another terrible choice by him, not only policy-wise, but also politically.
    I am opposed to getting involved in Syria. Syria has a "damned if we do, damned if we don't" written all over it

    But saying this is bad policy is far fetched. If the hammer is dropped on folks who use chemical weapons chances are it won't happen again. I imagine their are lots of South Koreans who want us to blow Syria's sh!t up.... historically, there were reasons why Nazi Germany did not use chemical weapons... Think of how devastating this would have been to the British Army bottled up in Dunkirk... it may have changed everything

    And in political terms...If the House votes no it can be used to cut the Pentagon budget.
    What would be the reason for to continue to have a $520+ billion budget if we relinquish our duty as policeman of the world?

    And if General Dynamics loses contracts the GOP looses funding
    Last edited by Buster; 09-07-2013 at 11:34 PM.

  7. #47
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Since when is Obama so blood thirsty? This idiot was supposed to get us out of these wars. Now he is getting us into another one. If anyone thinks that this will be over in days rather than weeks then you are an idiot and I have a bridge to sell you.

    Lets create another power vacuum so another country can fall to radical Islam. These dictators are the lesser of two evils, we just need to realize unfortunate truth that and move on. Hit them in their purse strings and hope for the best.
    Since he painted himself into a corner with his whole "red line" comments.

  8. #48
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    So it appears today that all of the US's Bushian Sabre-rattling did nothing, and teh solution came from Putin and the Russians of all places.

    Will be interesting to hear the spin from (D) about how it was really all a credit to Obama, that he's so awe inspiring a leader, he doesn't even HAVE to fire to get what he wants. Lol.

  9. #49
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    So it appears today that all of the US's Bushian Sabre-rattling did nothing, and teh solution came from Putin and the Russians of all places.

    Will be interesting to hear the spin from (D) about how it was really all a credit to Obama, that he's so awe inspiring a leader, he doesn't even HAVE to fire to get what he wants. Lol.
    LOL...the president is being made a fool of by Putin right now. This administration is all over the place. The lack of leadership displayed by this president and administration is comical, they are twisting in the wind now and are relying on the Russians to broker a deal with Syria. Good luck finding and securing all those chemical weapons while a civil war is going on.

  10. #50
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,445
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Since he painted himself into a corner with his whole "red line" comments.
    Seems like the painting into a corner really pressured a Russian solution. The chemicals will be turned over to an International group to dispose of it. Good solution I think.

  11. #51
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Seems like the painting into a corner really pressured a Russian solution. The chemicals will be turned over to an International group to dispose of it. Good solution I think.
    Right, of course they will, I'm sure they will turn over ALL their weapons on their own. We should just take the Syrians and Russians word for it too right? Like I said earlier, good luck finding and securing all those weapons.

  12. #52
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,445
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Right, of course they will, I'm sure they will turn over ALL their weapons on their own. We should just take the Syrians and Russians word for it too right? Like I said earlier, good luck finding and securing all those weapons.
    There is supposedly an international inventory database for all manufactured Chemical weapons. From what I understand Syria got most of this stuff from Russia to begin with.

    I hear you on the trust stuff but Bashar al-Assad is not wanting a death wish via a cruise missile.

  13. #53
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    There is supposedly an international inventory database for all manufactured Chemical weapons. From what I understand Syria got most of this stuff from Russia to begin with.

    I hear you on the trust stuff but Bashar al-Assad is not wanting a death wish via a cruise missile.
    LOL...you think Syria has cataloged a detailed inventory data base of all of their chemical weapons???

  14. #54
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,445
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    LOL...you think Syria has cataloged a detailed inventory data base of all of their chemical weapons???
    Yes. All the sales from Russia are documented. They have signed the OPCW. I don't think Syria has though.

    With the entry-into-force of the Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC) on 29 April 1997, the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) was formally established.

    The OPCW Technical Secretariat is located in The Hague, the Netherlands. Currently, 189 nations, representing about 98% of the global population, have joined the CWC. The OPCW mission is to implement the provisions of the CWC and to ensure a credible, transparent regime to verify the destruction of chemical weapons; to prevent their re-emergence in any member State; to provide protection and assistance against chemical weapons; to encourage international cooperation in the peaceful uses of chemistry; and to achieve universal membership of the OPCW. The cooperation between the United Nations and the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons is regulated by the relationship agreement between both organisations adopted by the General Assembly in September 2001.


    If the Chemicals are being picked up by the UN, they can compare to Russian sales and other documented sales.
    Last edited by RMJK; 09-10-2013 at 11:55 AM.

  15. #55
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,901
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    So it appears today that all of the US's Bushian Sabre-rattling did nothing, and teh solution came from Putin and the Russians of all places.

    Will be interesting to hear the spin from (D) about how it was really all a credit to Obama, that he's so awe inspiring a leader, he doesn't even HAVE to fire to get what he wants. Lol.
    Just as it will be interesting to hear the spin from (R) about how Obama had nothing to do with it.

    If it wasn't for the American threat of force, the "solution" from the Russians would have never come to fruition. The United States, specifically the executive branch's public desire of launching a strike against al-Assad, is the driving factor here.

  16. #56
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Yes. All the sales from Russia are documented. They have signed the OPCW. I don't think Syria has though.

    With the entry-into-force of the Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC) on 29 April 1997, the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) was formally established.

    The OPCW Technical Secretariat is located in The Hague, the Netherlands. Currently, 189 nations, representing about 98% of the global population, have joined the CWC. The OPCW mission is to implement the provisions of the CWC and to ensure a credible, transparent regime to verify the destruction of chemical weapons; to prevent their re-emergence in any member State; to provide protection and assistance against chemical weapons; to encourage international cooperation in the peaceful uses of chemistry; and to achieve universal membership of the OPCW. The cooperation between the United Nations and the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons is regulated by the relationship agreement between both organisations adopted by the General Assembly in September 2001.


    If the Chemicals are being picked up by the UN, they can compare to Russian sales and other documented sales.
    Syria is not part of the CWC. Plus the origin of Syria's chemical weapons is not 100% known.

  17. #57
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont care who gets credit.

    We aren't going in there and thats good.

  18. #58
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,772
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I dont care who gets credit.

    We aren't going in there and thats good.
    +100

    Just hope it all works out.

  19. #59
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,445
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Syria is not part of the CWC. Plus the origin of Syria's chemical weapons is not 100% known.
    I stated just that and nothing is 100%.

  20. #60
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,445
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I dont care who gets credit.

    We aren't going in there and thats good.
    me too.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us