Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 91

Thread: Syria

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Syria

    Why are we getting involved in Syria now. Do we really know who used the chemical weapons? Something tells me Assad maybe allot of things but being stupid isn't one of them. I would be willing to bet it was the insurgents they have everything to gain and nothing to lose. These wars have been going on for centuries and we think we can solve it? Nope!

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,877
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't you hear? Obama punted the ball to the Republicans in Congress - who aren't due back in session until next week. And they could debate the issue for weeks.

    In other words, Obama Chickened Out!

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,258
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyJet View Post
    Didn't you hear? Obama punted the ball to the Republicans in Congress - who aren't due back in session until next week. And they could debate the issue for weeks.

    In other words, Obama Chickened Out!
    Hey it's the Republicans fault that Obungler is beating the war drums..

    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journal...ria-War-Threat

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyJet View Post
    Didn't you hear? Obama punted the ball to the Republicans in Congress - who aren't due back in session until next week. And they could debate the issue for weeks.

    In other words, Obama Chickened Out!
    This is wrong, and a horrible politicization of the issue.

    Congress MUST be involved, and Congress MUST provide it's approval, period, and every Republican around WANTED that.

    To turn round when Obama gives in and does the right thing AND the thing (R) wanted.....and call his a chicken for doing so, is just so derp as to be unfathomably derpy.

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,848
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tell Obama NO, There is no national security threat!

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,877
    Post Thanks / Like
    See: Obama's Red Line re: Syria.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Posts
    4,764
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyJet View Post
    See: Obama's Red Line re: Syria.

    ...and the President feels we should act.

    So the President has asked Congress for their approval.

    So he is following the constitution.


    Article I

    Section 8

    ...


    To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;
    http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Syria is in civil war and both sides hate us. One of out 2 ton bombs can kill 1000s. I say stay out of Syria and let our enemies kill each other.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,848
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ever since Persia, Assyria, Babylon these folks have been killing each other. Why get involved. One big reason Russia, Al Quida, Hezbullah, Iran and possibly Israel getting involved. We light the bomb that blows up the Middle East.

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,515
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanPatsFan View Post
    Hey it's the Republicans fault that Obungler is beating the war drums..

    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journal...ria-War-Threat
    I am curious what you said a decade ago regarding Bush and Cheney using 9/11 as a justification to lie us into a unjust war with Iraq.

    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    This is wrong, and a horrible politicization of the issue.

    Congress MUST be involved, and Congress MUST provide it's approval, period, and every Republican around WANTED that.

    To turn round when Obama gives in and does the right thing AND the thing (R) wanted.....and call his a chicken for doing so, is just so derp as to be unfathomably derpy.
    Not sure where you are getting your information from but your statement is incorrect. Several prominent Republicans criticized the President for seeking Congressional authorization. All you needed to do was watch the Sunday public affairs shows this past weekend. For example, the most senior Republican on the Senate Intel Committee, Saxby Chambliss, was very critical of the President seeking Congressional approval.

    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    Tell Obama NO, There is no national security threat!
    The generals, i.e., experts, disagree with you.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,142
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    ...and the President feels we should act.

    So the President has asked Congress for their approval.

    So he is following the constitution.



    http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html
    this would be the FIRST time he has followed the Constitution, so his bull**** is clearly exposed. He should should have circumvented it again by executive order like he's done on everything else.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,142
    Post Thanks / Like
    " using 9/11 as a justification to lie us into a unjust war with Iraq. " == brainwashed doosh

  13. #13
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    this would be the FIRST time he has followed the Constitution, so his bull**** is clearly exposed. He should should have circumvented it again by executive order like he's done on everything else.
    LOL...so he does what you want and......it's BS!!!!

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    Ever since Persia, Assyria, Babylon these folks have been killing each other. Why get involved. One big reason Russia, Al Quida, Hezbullah, Iran and possibly Israel getting involved. We light the bomb that blows up the Middle East.
    +1 very good post. These nations are Tribal and have petty grievances that go back to Adam and Eve. Lol

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,258
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    I am curious what you said a decade ago regarding Bush and Cheney using 9/11 as a justification to lie us into a unjust war with Iraq.
    Bush/Cheney used 9-11 as justification for the Iraqi war?

    Where did you hear that, Ed Schultz? Chrisy(Tingles)Matthews?

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,679
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanPatsFan View Post
    Bush/Cheney used 9-11 as justification for the Iraqi war?

    Where did you hear that, Ed Schultz? Chrisy(Tingles)Matthews?
    Yes he used 9-11 along with other BS reasons to justify invading Iraq...Saddam posing an imminent threat to the USA, warnings of mushroom clouds, Saddam supporting/hiding Al Queda (that one was laughable), Saddam's secret WMD stash that no one could find, gassing his own people (which we supported in the 1980s when the Iranians were the ones he was gassing)

    That said. I dont agree with getting involved in Syria. Its dumb. There is no scenario that I can see that would benefit the USA. Do you help the rebels who are supported by Islamists and terrorists or do you back Assad who is backed by Iran. Its a lose/lose proposition. Syria is a civil war. Let them fight it out and determine themselves who will run that country. If Assad is victorious, so be it.

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the strategy now is to have a limited strike over several days to wipe out key places that makes the war more winable to the rebels. A bone to the military industrial complex. It's almost like they want to test out their new weapon systems/ cruise missiles. And the Russians have a delegation inquiring about our intentions. And the President is in Russia for an economic summit. Life in the fast lane.

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,640
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Yes he used 9-11 along with other BS reasons to justify invading Iraq...Saddam posing an imminent threat to the USA, warnings of mushroom clouds, Saddam supporting/hiding Al Queda (that one was laughable), Saddam's secret WMD stash that no one could find, gassing his own people (which we supported in the 1980s when the Iranians were the ones he was gassing)

    That said. I dont agree with getting involved in Syria. Its dumb. There is no scenario that I can see that would benefit the USA. Do you help the rebels who are supported by Islamists and terrorists or do you back Assad who is backed by Iran. Its a lose/lose proposition. Syria is a civil war. Let them fight it out and determine themselves who will run that country. If Assad is victorious, so be it.
    Agreed. What is the ultimate end game with bombing Syria? Are we doing it simply as a punitive measure to punish Assad for using chemical weapons? What then? So we bomb them, they clean up the mess and then what? Assad is still in power, they still have the chemical weapons and nothing has changed. You would think we might have learned something from the past few decades when dealing with these Middle Eastern Islamic countries. Bombing to simply bomb as a punishment has proved futile in that region. As far as Syria being a threat to the U.S security?? Please, they will pose no less threat to us after we bomb them than they are right now.

    How many times are we going to back a side in a civil war only to have that regime turn on us and we then have to use military force to remove them? I am sick of getting involved in that region, I have yet to see any benefit to our country by doing so.

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Agreed. What is the ultimate end game with bombing Syria? Are we doing it simply as a punitive measure to punish Assad for using chemical weapons? What then? So we bomb them, they clean up the mess and then what? Assad is still in power, they still have the chemical weapons and nothing has changed. You would think we might have learned something from the past few decades when dealing with these Middle Eastern Islamic countries. Bombing to simply bomb as a punishment has proved futile in that region. As far as Syria being a threat to the U.S security?? Please, they will pose no less threat to us after we bomb them than they are right now.

    How many times are we going to back a side in a civil war only to have that regime turn on us and we then have to use military force to remove them? I am sick of getting involved in that region, I have yet to see any benefit to our country by doing so.
    My cousin was a mechanic in the army in Iraq. He was supposed to teach the Iraq soldiers how to repair Humvees and the like. He said they are wired differently. The brightest of the bright are teachable (10%) but everybody else is a moron and unteachable.
    He thinks they've been effectively been ruined with the religious upbringing.

    Why get involved with tribal feuds and religious minutia. It is all about oil. Syria has no oil. WTF Leave them alone.

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,848
    Post Thanks / Like
    This country has continued to screw up in the Middle East for decades. It is about time we realize there is no fixing the Middle East it what it is. We continue to clean up every pile of crap and leave our blood and body parts for what? Let Islam cleanse itself.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us