Thread: Anyone catch this Saturday night?

Jets Insider VIP

Anyone catch this Saturday night?

Coughlin ices Folk in the 4th quarter of a preseason game.

The vaGiants announcers try to justify by saying it "needs to be practiced". lol - sure it does. Coughlin was being a dick.

So , after the deep pass to Spadola, to the NYG 20 yd line, Rex sends out the FG team on 2nd down, anticipating more dooshbaggery from Coughlin, and Coughlin of course, does a cockgobble trying to ice Cundiff.

Then Rex puts Simms back in to get closer. I know Rex planned that. Made Coughlin burn his timeout and he ended up not being able to pull that dopey sh1t again.

I think one of the vaGiants CS caught on ,because he whispered something to Rex during the handshake and Rex smiled. Unless he tried to stick his tongue in Rex's ear, but that seems unlikely.

I noticed. I also noticed Coughlin, IMO, playing for overtime, to "win the game". And a vaGiants player got hurt.

But Rex gets called out on it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    I noticed. I also noticed Coughlin, IMO, playing for overtime, to "win the game". And a vaGiants player got hurt.

Did Stevie Brown get hurt on an INT return? I honestly cant remember.
    Every year someone in this game gets lost for the season it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Did Stevie Brown get hurt on an INT return? I honestly cant remember.
    He did - non contact injury - just planted and no one really touched him. But I could swear I also read someone got hurt on the Giants during OT.

Rookie
    He did - non contact injury - just planted and no one really touched him. But I could swear I also read someone got hurt on the Giants during OT.
    Yeah, it was D. Scott, KR and DB, I believe.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post

The vaGiants announcers try to justify by saying it "needs to be practiced". lol - sure it does. Coughlin was being a dick.

So , after the deep pass to Spadola, to the NYG 20 yd line, Rex sends out the FG team on 2nd down, anticipating more dooshbaggery from Coughlin, and Coughlin of course, does a cockgobble trying to ice Cundiff.

Then Rex puts Simms back in to get closer. I know Rex planned that. Made Coughlin burn his timeout and he ended up not being able to pull that dopey sh1t again.

I think one of the vaGiants CS caught on ,because he whispered something to Rex during the handshake and Rex smiled. Unless he tried to stick his tongue in Rex's ear, but that seems unlikely.
    I think you're giving Rex waaay too much credit.

He simply realized he was making the same mistake twice.

If anything, if that was a real game, Rex would be hammered (and rightfully so) for pulling a Herm Edwards and settling for a non-chip shot FG instead of getting closer.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

I had forgotten this in the din over Rex and Santres.

Didnt we nearly decapitate Manning a few years back? I actually gained alot of respect for him for bouncing back after we bloodied the shyte out of him.

-

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I think you're giving Rex waaay too much credit.

He simply realized he was making the same mistake twice.

If anything, if that was a real game, Rex would be hammered (and rightfully so) for pulling a Herm Edwards and settling for a non-chip shot FG instead of getting closer.
    If nothing else, Rex is clever. And that was a clever move.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I just read it as a "OK....**** you" type thing. Because Coughlin could have just as easily faked the TO as he could have called it. After his kickers missed the second one, I think he just said, "**** it - lets get closer"....which is what he should have done in the first place.

I think the icing the kicker was BS but what should Coughlin have done at the end of the game? YOu want to give your guys som real game experience - getting the FG unit out there seems reasonable enough. If it was a decision between going for the extra point to tie or the 2 pter to win, sure, you go for the 2 pter. But in this instance, I can't kill him for kicking the FG as that is the only real football move to make. To try and score a TD there is basically changing the game.

Jason Seahorn confirms.

Veteran
    I agree on the injury statement. Since they killed Penny way back when, it seems as if someone gets hurt and lost for the year, everytime there's a Battle for the Big Apple.
    The simple fact that this game has a trophy and is coach by Rex and Tom C tells me that this won't be "just another pre-season game" anytime soon.