Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Rex No D

No Rex No D

I think Rex Ryan is a good coach. He's a guy that players want to play for. He is a defensive mastermind and he accepts the fact that he needs help on offense. To that point, last year, the team brought in a former HC to run the offense (albeit the wrong one) and this year they brought in an established offensive coordinator who has HC-ing experience.

I think he sucks with the media. He can't explain himself. Forget about the last exchange where he was right to get angry, he often thinks they're his friends. He jokes with them and he shouldn't.

I think this whole thing is overblown. He hasn't lost his grip on the team.

His decision to play Sanchez with the backups was fine. It was backups vs backups and we've been told that Sanchez is competing for the starter position. No one had a problem with Geno playing with backups the first preseason game.

I only read articles about football. I don't read articles about speculation or made up opinions. Anonymous sources are stupid.

Get rid of Rex and you get rid of a top 10 defense year in and year out.

I feel much better now. Thanks.

You didn't hear? Defense doesn't matter anymore

Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    I think Rex Ryan is a good coach. He's a guy that players want to play for. He is a defensive mastermind and he accepts the fact that he needs help on offense. To that point, last year, the team brought in a former HC to run the offense (albeit the wrong one) and this year they brought in an established offensive coordinator who has HC-ing experience.

I think he sucks with the media. He can't explain himself. Forget about the last exchange where he was right to get angry, he often thinks they're his friends. He jokes with them and he shouldn't.

His decision to play Sanchez with the backups was fine. It was backups vs backups and we've been told that Sanchez is competing for the starter position. No one had a problem with Geno playing with backups the first preseason game.

I only read articles about football. I don't read articles about speculation or made up opinions. Anonymous sources are stupid.

When after 4 years ???

Well.... a top ten D means nothing when you are below 500.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Well.... a top ten D means nothing when you are below 500.
    agreed and not winning Super Bowls!

Jets Insider VIP
    Yes, because Rex is the only coach on planet earth who can coach defense. makes sense. Give him a lifetime contract.

Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    When after 4 years ???
    Since the very beginning?? Rex brought in his defensive coaches when he was hired, but kept Schottenheimer because the offense is obviously not his forte. If I remember correctly, the fans were the ones who, early on, complained about Rex's lack of offensive input.

But I guess, like "the customer," "the fan" is always right; Criticize him in the beginning for not being more involved in the offense, and after he obliges, criticize him for being involved at all. And when he backs off, criticize him again for not doing it sooner.

Rex is not the problem. The lack of a good franchise QB is.
    Tom Coughlin was just average until he got Eli Manning.
    Same for Belichick, Dungy, etc etc

IMO it would be a mistake to let go a defensive mastermind just because Mark Sanchez underachieved and Tannenbaum made some horrible decisions. Sure Rex has made mistakes but so does every HC in their first five years.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Rex is not the problem. The lack of a good franchise QB is.
    Tom Coughlin was just average until he got Eli Manning.
    Same for Belichick, Dungy, etc etc

IMO it would be a mistake to let go a defensive mastermind just because Mark Sanchez underachieved and Tannenbaum made some horrible decisions. Sure Rex has made mistakes but so does every HC in their first five years.
    True about the QB, but Coughlin was good w/o Eli. Went to AFCCG. Beli has a losing record w/o Brady

Quote Originally Posted by Refuel View Post
    Since the very beginning?? Rex brought in his defensive coaches when he was hired, but kept Schottenheimer because the offense is obviously not his forte. If I remember correctly, the fans were the ones who, early on, complained about Rex's lack of offensive input.

But I guess, like "the customer," "the fan" is always right; Criticize him in the beginning for not being more involved in the offense, and after he obliges, criticize him for being involved at all. And when he backs off, criticize him again for not doing it sooner.
    Make no mistake Rex mandated G&P the 1st 4 years he was here , that's all he gushed about when talking offense. He knew one way and one way only . Sure he looked like a genius year 1 when he had the Oline and Rb's and a raw rookie QB. Because of that early success he stubbornly held steadfast to that philosophy and never adapted to his personel. He's as much to blame as Sanchez & the FO for the ****ty O we've had to witness the past few years. This year with his job on the line he conviently has an epihanny and admits he made a mistake and the O needs to be more of an attacking style - and lo and behold MM & Lee are hired. If Rex gave his OC's complete authority or if MM & Lee were here from 2010 , I think we'd be feelin a lot better about Sanchez and the overall Jets O right now.

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    True about the QB, but Coughlin was good w/o Eli. Went to AFCCG. Beli has a losing record w/o Brady
    Ok, so you're saying A) Sanchez is not a franchise QB, and B) going to the AFCCG without a franchise QB is an indication of a good head coach, ie Tom Coughlin.

I'm thinking of another head coach who went to the AFCCG without a franchise QB. Twice. In a row.

I don't believe that. I think the Jets defense as it is built today would be terrific in a Tampa 2 4-3 scheme.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Refuel View Post
    Ok, so you're saying A) Sanchez is not a franchise QB, and B) going to the AFCCG without a franchise QB is an indication of a good head coach, ie Tom Coughlin.

I'm thinking of another head coach who went to the AFCCG without a franchise QB. Twice. In a row.
    I agree. Rex will be back, he will be on a mission this year

Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Make no mistake Rex mandated G&P the 1st 4 years he was here , that's all he gushed about when talking offense. He knew one way and one way only . Sure he looked like a genius year 1 when he had the Oline and Rb's and a raw rookie QB. Because of that early success he stubbornly held steadfast to that philosophy and never adapted to his personel. He's as much to blame as Sanchez & the FO for the ****ty O we've had to witness the past few years. This year with his job on the line he conviently has an epihanny and admits he made a mistake and the O needs to be more of an attacking style - and lo and behold MM & Lee are hired. If Rex gave his OC's complete authority or if MM & Lee were here from 2010 , I think we'd be feelin a lot better about Sanchez and the overall Jets O right now.
    I agree that Rex enjoyed early success with the G&P philosophy, although we haven't exactly had the personnel for anything more explosive lately. But I'll concede that he played a role, with Tannenbaum, in shaping the offense leading up to the regular season. Perhaps now he's taken a much smaller role in that, too. I still feel the offensive hierarchy (Schottenheimer/Sparano, now MM and David Lee) ran the offense with very little micromanaging from Rex. Unfortunately, after Schottenheimer got ran out of town, Sparano (in hindsight) was an even worse choice. It is what it is. You're right that if we had Marty and Lee here years ago, the offense would be in much better shape.

All League
    Rex has has had one mediocre and one bad year...that is IT. If the coaching decision was up to a poll of Jet fans, the Jets would continue to endure their 3 years and out coaching carousel which has marked this poorly run franchise from their start.

Consistency is key in the NFL and Rex is an above average coach. He isn't fantastic but he isn't mediocre and fans fail to realize that it is difficult to find above average coaches in the NFL.

Not to mention, you get rid of Rex and you are likely looking at a new defensive scheme. When new coaches come in, all of a sudden star players begin to be sold off in the hopes of stockpiling picks and rebuilding (most recently Vilma and Abraham with our last 2 coaching changes). Who are you willing to lose on D when the new DC wants to implement his system?

Quote Originally Posted by JetFreak89 View Post
    Rex has has had one mediocre and one bad year...that is IT. If the coaching decision was up to a poll of Jet fans, the Jets would continue to endure their 3 years and out coaching carousel which has marked this poorly run franchise from their start.

Consistency is key in the NFL and Rex is an above average coach. He isn't fantastic but he isn't mediocre and fans fail to realize that it is difficult to find above average coaches in the NFL.

Not to mention, you get rid of Rex and you are likely looking at a new defensive scheme. When new coaches come in, all of a sudden star players begin to be sold off in the hopes of stockpiling picks and rebuilding (most recently Vilma and Abraham with our last 2 coaching changes). Who are you willing to lose on D when the new DC wants to implement his system?
    But in essence the problem is that for the past decade or so the Jets have hired HC's whose primary focus in football has been defense. In an era where the NFL blatantly shifted its rules to benefit the offenses, the Jets have all but turned their noses at offensive football. Yet , fans here complain that our QB sucks , we have no RB's , our Wr's are JAG's and still steadfastly stand behind their illustrous HC ummm DC . Sure this year when his job in jeopardy Rex admits he made some mistakes and wants an attacking O - welcome to the party Rex. Do I believe Rex is teh worst HC , no in fact I rellay like how he approaches defense, its just too bad for the past decade we haven't had anyone to attack offenses the same way.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    I'm the biggest pro D guy here, also pro Rex, he phukin pissed me off with that Sanchez move and almost lost one of his biggest fans as far as D goes it's always valuable most especially here and now due to the lack of O. You can also look to the SB Saints their D sucked then, before, and after. Not many teams can win the SB with only a superior O, however, it is more likely with a D ruling the roost.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/...yfp-t-774&tt=b

Words of wisdom from my hero to Rex about how to handle the press.
    Last edited by Dreamers; 08-26-2013 at 05:43 PM.

After year three he hired sporano
    Last edited by JFB; 08-26-2013 at 05:50 PM.