Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Russel Wilson, Andrew Luck, and RyanTannehill all had 3 interception games last year!

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Okay you know what Geno has done to make him look like Luck? Andrew Luck first game threw 3 interceptions 1td 51% and a 52.9 rating. There you have it Geno looking like the great Andrew Luck. Why don't we give Geno the ball and let him sink or swim like Andrew luck was given? Sanchez has a LONG history. A 3 interception preseason game does not mean Sanchez deserves another ****ing year to prove himself.
    Pretty sure I didn't say anything about Sanchez -- just impressed you found such a creative way to commend Geno for his spot-on Sanchez impersonation . . .

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Yeah, he was really hitting his stride as he ran right out of the end zone . . .
    Oh no his foot stepped out of the endzone as he was trying to get rid of the ball to avoid getting sacked for a safety. How dare that veteran make such a rookie mistake. Oh yea right it is Sanchez the guy who cant handle a perfect shotgun snap who is the veteran. My bad.........

Oh no his foot stepped out of the endzone as he was trying to get rid of the ball to avoid getting sacked for a safety. How dare that veteran make such a rookie mistake. Oh yea right it is Sanchez the guy who cant handle a perfect shotgun snap who is the veteran. My bad.........
    Which is why most of us are ready to show Sanchez the door.

Yet somehow when Geno does the same thing it strikes up visions of Andrew Luck . . .

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Which is why most of us are ready to show Sanchez the door.

Yet somehow when Geno does the same thing it strikes up visions of Andrew Luck . . .
    Geno is no different than Kellen Clemens or Browning Nagle until he wins. All had potential and a fan base that wanted them to excel.

I would love to see Geno have a career like McNabb. I however have no expectations.

You never really know

Let's not forget Eli Manning's rookie year (2004). In the third preseason game against the Jets, (same as Geno), Eli went 4 for 20, two ints, 1 fumble, 2 sacks, and many hurried passes that made him look lost. He went on to start that year and never looked back.

I'm not comparing the two, just pointing out a contrast. You never really know what you will really get in the regular season.

Intchez AND Genope homers? SHUT IT DOOOOOOOWN! LET'S GO HOME!

#yoloswag

Jets Insider VIP
    No it does not. Geno has been step for step with Sanchez all training camp and outperformed him last week before the game. There is evidence that rookie QB's who threw 3int game's were still ready to start. One 3int game should not exclude Geno when Russel Wilson. Andrew Luck, and Ryan Tannehill all had those same games.
    Not according to Marty Mornhinweg.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan32 View Post
    Let's not forget Eli Manning's rookie year (2004). In the third preseason game against the Jets, (same as Geno), Eli went 4 for 20, two ints, 1 fumble, 2 sacks, and many hurried passes that made him look lost. He went on to start that year and never looked back.

I'm not comparing the two, just pointing out a contrast. You never really know what you will really get in the regular season.
    Yeah but Eli was bad early on, first two years

After sitting behind Warner for like the first 7-8 games and that is the critical point here. I see very few people here even the hated Sanchez "apologists" saying that Geno is a bust and just won't make it. What I see is many people stating that he's not ready yet and needs to sit and learn some just like Eli did in his rookie year. However there's a group here that just can't accept that notion because it means Sanchez may be the starter.

These arguments sound like the same just-look-at-stats arguments Tebow fans were making for why Tebow is the greatest NFL QB and we're all idiots for not supporting him. It also sounds like the people who said Sanchez would break out in his third year because he had similar stats as Eli in their first two years.

No and no.

Statistics do not tell the whole picture unless it is going 1-0 in Super Bowls for the year. That tells you everything you need to know about that season. Geno's three INTs and self-inflicted safety do not automatically make him a bust but it's also not instilling confidence in his ability to start right now. He didn't look confident or solid out there, even if you ignore the INTs and safety. Throwing him out there as a question mark instead of coaching up his skills seems like a stupid way to invest in a player. Right now Sanchez is winning the head-to-head competition. Even if Sanchez isn't a great player the team is better off putting the (perhaps marginally) better player on the field this year and look at a developed Geno Smith as the future of the team in 2014.

All League

Didn't the giants wait until later in the season to start him?

Last time I checked Sanchez has had 2 interceptions this preseason to Geno's 3. Not that far off your boy. Don't worry though, if the Jets are stupid enough to bow to public pressure to start Stinkchez he will just prove once again why he is the laughing stock of the NFL.
    Geno must be better because he threw them in one Game...hahahahahahahaahahahaha
    Geno is not ready face it hater why kill the kid

Quote Originally Posted by rammagen View Post
    Geno must be better because he threw them in one Game...hahahahahahahaahahahaha
    Geno is not ready face it hater why kill the kid
    You are saying Geno is not ready based on what exactly? You better not tell me your "evaluation" is based on Geno having 3 turnovers in his first start of a preseason game. Andrew Luck had 3 interceptions and 51% his first start of the year yet no one is saying he wasn't ready. If you counted the 5 blatant drops as catches Geno's completion percentage jumps to 70% for the game.

I also noticed how some beat writers intentionally combined Sanchez two previous preseason games to jump start his stats from the 56% he threw in the second game to the inflated 64%. Interesting how just as Sanchez % was inflated by the abnormal high completion percentage in his first game you could do the same with Geno but no one did. I still don't get how Sanchez can have 3 turnovers this preseason combined with the league leading 52 he has had the previous 2 years and people still want to anoint Sanchez because Geno had the same amount in his first start? WTF!?!?
    Last edited by Magnus; 08-27-2013 at 07:43 AM.

It feels like some of us are trying build up another fake franchise quarterback. I know I am.

Yet the facts are:
    Geno is a guy coming off a losing streak in college after a fast start, not unlike Mark Sanchez letting the playoffs slip away late in the season the last two years.
    There were lots of questions about his maturity even before he was a Jet, not unlike what the Jets have suffered through with Sanchez the last four years.
    He's made a couple of big gaffes in the games he's played (I'm including that open field ankle sprain, the safety and the interceptions), not unlike Sanchez the last four years.

It's just not a good trend. Can he turn it all around? God I hope so.

You are saying Geno is not ready based on what exactly? You better not tell me your "evaluation" is based on Geno having 3 turnovers in his first start of a preseason game. Andrew Luck had 3 interceptions and 51% his first start of the year yet no one is saying he wasn't ready. If you counted the 5 blatant drops as catches Geno's completion percentage jumps to 70% for the game.

I also noticed how some beat writers intentionally combined Sanchez two previous preseason games to jump start his stats from the 56% he threw in the second game to the inflated 64%. Interesting how just as Sanchez % was inflated by the abnormal high completion percentage in his first game you could do the same with Geno but no one did. I still don't get how Sanchez can have 3 turnovers this preseason combined with the league leading 52 he has had the previous 2 years and people still want to anoint Sanchez because Geno had the same amount in his first start? WTF!?!?
    I'm with you Magnus, amazing how the Sanchez apologists just brush away his 4 years of suck, his pass to the lion defender, his fumbled snaps. And this is from a 5th year starter!
    There is no way in hell that this Jet team has any confidence in Sanchez any more than they have in Geno.
    We finally have the coaches here in MM & Lee to teach the young man how to play the position. Believe me, if Sparano was still here I'd want the kid to sit & let Sanchez get killed.
    I don't care what any Jet fan thinks, we ain't going no where this season. This year is about finding a damn QB, the most important position on the field. We have 12 picks next year & Sanchez & Holmes will be long gone.
    Geno will have his lows, but he will have his highs & those moments are what bring a young team together. The NFL is so different than it was, QBs are protected like children riding a bike.
    Guys get open easier you can't blow anyone up without a penalty or a fine.
    So far the Oline has looked pretty good in pass D, & the Giants & Lions are no slouches, ask the Pats.
    Let it rip Geno!

Your basing your whole argument solely on stats, stats only tell part of the picture. Things not showing up in stats - staring down your receiver, slow delivery, almost seems to be pushing the ball at times, antsy footwork. But you go ahead hold fast to your belief that he's ready and keep reading those stats until they look worse than Sanchez's then look for your next excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I'm with you Magnus, amazing how the Sanchez apologists just brush away his 4 years of suck, his pass to the lion defender, his fumbled snaps. And this is from a 5th year starter!
    There is no way in hell that this Jet team has any confidence in Sanchez any more than they have in Geno.
    We finally have the coaches here in MM & Lee to teach the young man how to play the position.
    Believe me, if Sparano was still here I'd want the kid to sit & let Sanchez get killed.
    I don't care what any Jet fan thinks, we ain't going no where this season. This year is about finding a damn QB, the most important position on the field. We have 12 picks next year & Sanchez & Holmes will be long gone.
    Geno will have his lows, but he will have his highs & those moments are what bring a young team together
    . The NFL is so different than it was, QBs are protected like children riding a bike.
    Guys get open easier you can't blow anyone up without a penalty or a fine.
    So far the Oline has looked pretty good in pass D, & the Giants & Lions are no slouches, ask the Pats.
    Let it rip Geno!
    Yes we do finally have the coaching to develop a QB, why rush him , let him be developed so he can possibly flourish unlike Sanchez.

He'll have highs and lows and some bright moments and some ****ty moments - are you talking about a potential franchise replacement or Sanchez 2 , please let the kid develop properly.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    /thread
    Quoted for truth

Russel Wilson had one game, Andrew Luck had three games, and Ryan Tannehill had two games where they threw for 3 interceptions. Now tell me again why 3 interceptions by Geno in a preseason game is a disaster that shows he cant possibly be ready and has no chance to get the starting gig?
    I want Geno to win as much as you do, but the rookies you mentioned had those games AFTER they had won the job, not while they were competing for the starting job, which is a big difference. Honestly, you can't name Geno the starter right now and make the competition look legitimate.

That being said, I don't believe that Geno looked as lost as most are making him out to be. Of his 3 picks, the first was arguably a fumble as Spadola looked to have the ball in his hands before it was ripped out. The second pick wasn't a bad decision, he just didn't step into the throw. The third pick was a nice play by Tuck on a zone blitz, which Geno probably did not see very often in college. 3 picks are 3 picks, but picks happen. The worst play Smith had was the safety. Most of his passes were on the money and he had at least 3 drops that I have remember.

The difference with Sanchez is that he makes stupid mistakes as a 5th year starter, mistakes I did not see Smith make (other than the safety). Getting picked off by a DL on a screen pass when your intended target in sprawled out on the floor is moronic (this was the Detroit interception). The second pick in the Jaguars game did not upset me nearly as much as his inability to manage the clock at the end of the half. Sanchez keeps making the same mistakes he made as a rookie.

Sanchez won the competition, but that does not mean I have to look forward to watching him play this year.

Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    It feels like some of us are trying build up another fake franchise quarterback. I know I am.

Yet the facts are:
    Geno is a guy coming off a losing streak in college after a fast start, not unlike Mark Sanchez letting the playoffs slip away late in the season the last two years.
    There were lots of questions about his maturity even before he was a Jet, not unlike what the Jets have suffered through with Sanchez the last four years.
    He's made a couple of big gaffes in the games he's played (I'm including that open field ankle sprain, the safety and the interceptions), not unlike Sanchez the last four years.

It's just not a good trend. Can he turn it all around? God I hope so.
    The 5 game losing streak in college? WVU put up 14, 14, 38, 34, and 49 points in those games. Did you want him to play defense as well? The maturity questions were spearheaded by the same bigot who raised similar concerns about Cam Newton and RG3. Give the kid a chance.