Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not to beat a dead horse, but would you want Revis on the Jets next year?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Not to beat a dead horse, but would you want Revis on the Jets next year?

Before you laugh this off, consider the following:

Revis signed a massive deal with the Bucs with no guaranteed money at 16M per year.

If he doesnt play well this season, the Bucs cut him and dont lose anything.

If he plays like he always has, he could very well hold out for a better deal with guaranteed money, possibly causing the Bucs to cut him to avoid the headache.

If either of those happen, would you want Revis back at a cap charge of around what he is making now at 16M, with lets say more than $30M in guarantees? Obviously him performing not well this season because of another injury would change things. But lets say thats off the table for arguments sake, possibly he has a down year not due to a new injury. According to most accounts, if we play our cards right we may have close to $50M in cap room next season, assuming we cut Holmes and Sanchez. Problem is we will see one of the weakest free agency class in years next year, and there will be no one to spend it on. The only marquee players are Byrd from Buffalo, Orakpo from Washington, and Jimmy Graham from NO. Who knows if any of those guys will even be available depending on whether they are franchised or re-upped by their current team. We all know even a high draft pick next year wont hurt our cap because of the new rookie wage scale.

I would like to hear your thoughts, specifically because we have no proven stars on our team, while pretty much every team has one. It would also reduce the need for an elite pass rush allowing us to blitz more. Yea Cromartie is very good, but hes not a star, and Wilkerson has only had 1 great year so far.

I think the most naive argument I have seen against paying Revis $16M year is you cant have a championship team paying 16M to a position like CB. Since when? Werent we right on the cusp of being in two super bowls very recently with that makeup? People act like we were paying Revis 16M a year and we were being cheap on the most important position of QB. Well, that was certainly not the case, even if we had the wrong QB, we were still paying Sanchez nearly 14M.

I know the Millner draft pick complicates things, but honestly what are the chances of him being even half the player Revis is? I think most fans on here, rightfully so, would consider Revis the best ever at the position. Even Michael Irvin would tell you there is no comparison to primetime. As great as Primetime was, he was a superior athlete but he was never asked to go one on one with the other team's #1 receiver wherever he lined up on the field. Also, it cant hurt to have 3 good corners, especially knowing Wilson frankly just isnt good.

If you couldnt tell, I do strongly disagree with trading Revis in the first place. You dont trade away first ballot HOF's in their prime. Yes it was an ACL injury, but plenty of players come back from that. Plus Revis is not known for his unbelievable athleticism, but more for his unparalleled technique at the position, which shouldnt diminish because of an injury.
    Why did we not just resign Revis? We certainly could have afforded him if we didnt sign free any free agents this year. We signed a bunch of players who will certainly not help us be a playoff team anyway. So why couldnt we just suck this year with Revis instead of Ivory, Goodson, Landry, Winslow, Barnes etc? Dont we still even have left over cap room this season that we arent using?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to beat a dead horse, but let me start a new thread beating a dead horse.

I literally could not take you seriously anymore after "every other team has a superstar, we don't have one." No offense mate but that sounds like something a twelve year old would say. In a salary cap league, you don't need a $16 mil corner, superstar or not.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would take him back in a minute, BUT not at that crazy salary figure you are talking about! (see a certain ex NE Pats/Phil Eagles cb)
    You cant really pay any CB more than $10 Million/yr and still have your team-wide cap make sense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilkerson is a star among people who know football. Hell even Madden rated him a 96 OVR, the 3rd highest among all d-lineman.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilkerson is a potential star. He has shown he has the ability to be, but no one should get labeled as such after 1 great season. There have been countless players who have bee a fluke or a flash in the pan for 1 season and then disappeared.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse, but let me start a new thread beating a dead horse.

I literally could not take you seriously anymore after "every other team has a superstar, we don't have one." No offense mate but that sounds like something a twelve year old would say. In a salary cap league, you don't need a $16 mil corner, superstar or not.
    Yes, maybe I got carried away with the superstar comment, but you just dont trade those types of players, ever. You are acting like the Jets had no chance in recent years. They were right there 2 years in a row while paying, you guessed it, $16M to a super star CB. We weren't paying him that much money at the expense of the QB position. Sanchez was making nearly the same as Revis. Plus the fact Sanchez was the last reason on the team why we lost those 2 years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    Wilkerson is a star among people who know football. Hell even Madden rated him a 96 OVR, the 3rd highest among all d-lineman.
    He's a 94 OVR.

He's got 97 Block Shed though ! He's a beast.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty safe to say neither party would want anything to do with the other at this point.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Pretty safe to say neither party would want anything to do with the other at this point.
    +1

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    And we're really talking about Madden ratings?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would love to have Revis on the Jets (he would/should have retired a Jet if not for the insane contract demands) but that would not win this team any more games and that ship has sailed

Revis still counts 13 million on the Jets cap this year and is not on the team! the result of giving him guaranteed money, it is laughable to consider making the same mistake again

Tampa paid him another 16 million, so let's do the math, Jets probably needed to find about 13M new money this year to meet his demands (considering they already paid a 3M roster bonus) or he holds out and pushes the problem to 2014

and Ivory, Goodson, Landry, Winslow, Barnes etc consume about 4m in cap space (not 13M) so Jets had no choice, simple math

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Agreed, especially since he opened his mouth in Tampa.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    What part of "you don't pay a CB Tom Brady money" do you people not understand?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    This!

If we are willing to pay Revis in the OP's hypothetical situation, he would still be a Jet.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the Jets would pay him that, he would still be a Jet. It is IDIOTIC to pay a CB quarterback money. Unless he wants $9 million a year I have more chance of a date with Scarlett Johannnsen this weekend than the Jets resigning Mevis$

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    If the Jets would pay him that, he would still be a Jet. It is IDIOTIC to pay a CB quarterback money. Unless he wants $9 million a year I have more chance of a date with Scarlett Johannnsen this weekend than the Jets resigning Mevis$
    you can have her AFTER I am done with her this weekend...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even if he goes back to being the Revis of old he will be on the Bucs for 2 years max. If the Bucs do well they are going to have to pay Freeman and if they stink it up they are going to change coaches. Either way he won't be there in 2015.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Why not? The Jets were in back to back AFC championship games with Tom Brady money going to a CB AND nearly Tom Brady money going to their own QB in sanchez. We were not paying peanuts to Sanchez. He was one of the highest paid QB's in the league regardless of his skill set or lack thereof.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only if he doesn't tear up another knee.