Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The "Just what kinda insect/reptile/animal/alien am I dealing with here?" Thread

Jets Insider VIP

The "Just what kinda insect/reptile/animal/alien am I dealing with here?" Thread

Thanks for the help. Confirmed with exterminator that its not a Brown Recluse. Yes, we get all kinds of creepy crawlers out here including Bark Scorpions.

lolz on the rage comic!

"The Hampur - Good for a laugh, legal and medical advice, and all your pest control needs!"

Sooth is sitting on a self help gold mine here!

TappaLappinAndClappin'WhileFappin' via TapaTalk

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Thanks for the help. Confirmed with exterminator that its not a Brown Recluse. Yes, we get all kinds of creepy crawlers out here including Bark Scorpions.

lolz on the rage comic!

"The Hampur - Good for a laugh, legal and medical advice, and all your pest control needs!"

Sooth is sitting on a self help gold mine here!

TappaLappinAndClappin'WhileFappin' via TapaTalk
    Did he tell you what kind of spider it was?

Jets Insider VIP
    It is a commando 7 bug.

So I'm on route 7 outside Bennington VT and I see this guy in the middle of the road waiting to get splattered by a Mack truck. So I pull over , get him out of the road, put him in the trunk (where you can see him trying to creep out), and I get him to a riverside. Obviously picked him up from behind with a towel, but it was pretty scary when it's head would pop out and snap forward super quick. Anyone know their turtles?
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    So I'm on route 7 outside Bennington VT and I see this guy in the middle of the road waiting to get splattered by a Mack truck. So I pull over , get him out of the road, put him in the trunk (where you can see him trying to creep out), and I get him to a riverside. Obviously picked him up from behind with a towel, but it was pretty scary when it's head would pop out and snap forward super quick. Anyone know their turtles?
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    You are correct. That's definitely a turtle.

Jets Insider VIP
    i got bit by a recluse if it has a violin marking thats it. looks like a pimple when u get bit then eats your skin like battery acid. I waited two days as i was living in florida and was unfamiliar with these Godless Killing Machines. Call a exterminator u might have a nest

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Pretty sure it's the kind Timmy makes soup with y'know.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigragu View Post
    i got bit by a recluse if it has a violin marking thats it. looks like a pimple when u get bit then eats your skin like battery acid. I waited two days as i was living in florida and was unfamiliar with these Godless Killing Machines. Call a exterminator u might have a nest
    Wow! What haven't you been through Rags?

Jets Insider VIP
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Definitely a snapping turtle.

We had one show up on our lawn one day, checking to see if I can find the pics - yours is way bigger and much more menacing though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    yours is way bigger and much more menacing though.
    Thats what she said

Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Pretty sure it's the kind Timmy makes soup with y'know.
    I figured he'd know what beer to pair it with at least by now.

We had one show up on our lawn one day, checking to see if I can find the pics - yours is way bigger and much more menacing though.
    That'd account for the snapping! Thanks for the ID.
    I have no frame of reference but this guy looked really old to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dmitexxi View Post
    Thats what she said
    I do get that a lot.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    I'm not sure it's a Snapping Turtle. Does it have webbed feet and a long tail?

http://www.chelydra.org/snapping_tur...ification.html

Yep, nothing else really like it in the U.S., and yes, their bite can and will snap through your glove, your finger, and your bone like it was a dry kindling twig. Serious business bite.

Some folks make them into soup, I hear it's solid country-folk food, but have never tried it.

Caught one once (whilst Catfishing) that was about a 3 feet diamiter shell. I cut the fishing line and let that boy go his merry way.

Have saved at least two from roads over the years, always grab their shells at the back (away from head), but be mindful, their claws can cut you too (superfiscial tho generally) and their necks are actually suprisingly long for such meaty thick bastards.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Yep, nothing else really like it in the U.S., and yes, their bite can and will snap through your glove, your finger, and your bone like it was a dry kindling twig. Serious business bite.

Some folks make them into soup, I hear it's solid country-folk food, but have never tried it.

Caught one once (whilst Catfishing) that was about a 3 feet diamiter shell. I cut the fishing line and let that boy go his merry way.

Have saved at least two from roads over the years, always grab their shells at the back (away from head), but be mindful, their claws can cut you too (superfiscial tho generally) and their necks are actually suprisingly long for such meaty thick bastards.

A gif for you all

Quote Originally Posted by 1greenNUT View Post
    You are correct. That's definitely a turtle.

TROLOLOL

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Lady View Post
    We found this guy with a huge web on the bushes by the front of the house. It was a few years ago and haven't seen anything like it since. Should we be worried?

Attachment 4104
    LOL

I have a lemon tree and cacti...those guys are all over my business; I'm scared I'll get one down my neck, or my wife will. REALLY scary looking.

Jets Insider VIP
    so we went from being scared of a spider to a frigging turtle??? Not like its going to chase someone down. some you you need to nut up and man up here

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I'll start. Any entomologists or arachnid identifiers here? Found this guy on a glue board in the laundry room.

Attachment 4096

For reference, he's about the size of a fingernail.
    These guys are staring at me right now; open wood frame ceiling; property abuts a mountain (lol)...up in the wine country, our "dad shower" is always full of daddy LL...keeps my wife out of my business for a few precious moments in between cutting, cleaning and that.

Anyway, at least once a year I wake up to one of these ^ spiders zooming across my chest as I awake; I have never been sickened by these guys...although I have plenty of SF friends that have been sickened for months with some oscillating virus behavior from SOME spider...that's scary.
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 10-08-2013 at 12:44 PM.