Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I just don't see us being bad this year

I just don't see us being bad this year

Man listening to the media, you would think we have no chance to win more than 4 games and are pretty much neck and neck with Oakland for the first pick. I realize I am a Jets homer, but I just do not see it. We won 6 games with Sanchez and the worst offense in the league last year, and a bunch of old slow guys with injury concerns on the defense.

Seems to me, despite the cap purge we had to do, we are a significantly better team than last year.

On the line, Richardson looks like a beast, Coples once healthy should improve from last year and Damon Harrison and Kendrick Ellis both looked poised to have breakout years and are upgrades over Pouha and Devito.

I have to be honest, I am concerned about Milliner. I was not a huge fan of the pick, and I worry that he will be very injury prone and not as good as his draft position, but I think Walls and Lankster have played really well and the secondary which played fine last year will be OK. Safety a bit of a concern, but I think they are solid.

LB is our weak spot, but Rex is good at hiding it. Scott was bad last year, and Davis although not looking like a pro bowler, is still an improvement.

I think the defense will be better.

On offense I think our skill positions look way way better than anyone imagined at the start of the preseason. Spadola looks to be a real find, and a terrific 2nd/3rd receiver that is still just learning the game. Gates has looked dramatically improved. And Hill is coming around. It may be another year before he is a true 1 but the improvement in Hill in all areas is dramatic. Kerley is a very good slot receiver (hopefully last week was an isolated event in drops) and Winslow and Cumberland and Reuland give us competent, if not flashy TEs.

RB is a bit of a question mark still but Powell has stepped up, and Bohannan looks to be a terrific late round find that can help in a lot of areas. Remains to be seen what we get from Ivory who has not looked good, and if Goodson every actually plays. Still I think we are slightly better in this area than last year.

OL looks to be significantly improved. Ducasse is a surprise, Colon is solid and the three incumbents are above average. Right now we seem to be very good at pass protection but still need work on run blocking. We have been very pass happy because of QB competition but I think run blocking will come around a bit

QB -well I think Geno has to start, and is the key to our season. He has more upside than Mark, and though he will struggle early I think we win more games with Geno than Mark who is the same player he was

But the big difference is MM. It is extremely obvious that our offense under MM through scheme alone is a vast improvement. Receivers are open, sometimes wide open often. We have been scoring quite a bit in preseason despite lots of turnovers by both QBs, and with the improved skill players I think we will score some points and be a middle of the pack offense at worse.

I just do not see us being at the bottom of the pack this year. I think we are a much improved team over last year.

I see us winning 7-9 games with Sanchez, maybe 8-11 with Geno and a good chance for a playoff spot.

I'm up and down, last year I bought into us when the media said we would stink and they got it right.

We have made massive strides this year on and off the field, I was confidant after the giants game, but the media has me a little more reserved this year.

I'm just going to sit on the couch week 1 and expect the worst, I'm trying not to let the team reel me in this year although i so want them too.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Man listening to the media, you would think we have no chance to win more than 4 games and are pretty much neck and neck with Oakland for the first pick. I realize I am a Jets homer, but I just do not see it. We won 6 games with Sanchez and the worst offense in the league last year, and a bunch of old slow guys with injury concerns on the defense.

Seems to me, despite the cap purge we had to do, we are a significantly better team than last year.

On the line, Richardson looks like a beast, Coples once healthy should improve from last year and Damon Harrison and Kendrick Ellis both looked poised to have breakout years and are upgrades over Pouha and Devito.

I have to be honest, I am concerned about Milliner. I was not a huge fan of the pick, and I worry that he will be very injury prone and not as good as his draft position, but I think Walls and Lankster have played really well and the secondary which played fine last year will be OK. Safety a bit of a concern, but I think they are solid.

LB is our weak spot, but Rex is good at hiding it. Scott was bad last year, and Davis although not looking like a pro bowler, is still an improvement.

I think the defense will be better.

On offense I think our skill positions look way way better than anyone imagined at the start of the preseason. Spadola looks to be a real find, and a terrific 2nd/3rd receiver that is still just learning the game. Gates has looked dramatically improved. And Hill is coming around. It may be another year before he is a true 1 but the improvement in Hill in all areas is dramatic. Kerley is a very good slot receiver (hopefully last week was an isolated event in drops) and Winslow and Cumberland and Reuland give us competent, if not flashy TEs.

RB is a bit of a question mark still but Powell has stepped up, and Bohannan looks to be a terrific late round find that can help in a lot of areas. Remains to be seen what we get from Ivory who has not looked good, and if Goodson every actually plays. Still I think we are slightly better in this area than last year.

OL looks to be significantly improved. Ducasse is a surprise, Colon is solid and the three incumbents are above average. Right now we seem to be very good at pass protection but still need work on run blocking. We have been very pass happy because of QB competition but I think run blocking will come around a bit

QB -well I think Geno has to start, and is the key to our season. He has more upside than Mark, and though he will struggle early I think we win more games with Geno than Mark who is the same player he was

But the big difference is MM. It is extremely obvious that our offense under MM through scheme alone is a vast improvement. Receivers are open, sometimes wide open often. We have been scoring quite a bit in preseason despite lots of turnovers by both QBs, and with the improved skill players I think we will score some points and be a middle of the pack offense at worse.

I just do not see us being at the bottom of the pack this year. I think we are a much improved team over last year.

I see us winning 7-9 games with Sanchez, maybe 8-11 with Geno and a good chance for a playoff spot.
    All you have to look at is your Qb situation and know most likely it's going to be a very tough year for the Jets.( could be that bad) For the Jets to surprise in 2013, Geno Smith going to have get up to speed a lot faster than he has looked so far this training camp, and in the preseason games.( nfl defenses only get more complex once they start playing for real.

Can you win with your Qb just a game manager. Yes but your defense better be dominating and have a consistent running game. Jmo I don't see the Jets having either of those things. Again the season hasn't started yet so you should have hope that the Jets will be much better than people are saying , just understand that there a good chance you're going to be very disappointed in the outcome.( that just the reality of the situation)

If the Jets do anything this year ,the one thing is you want to find is your Qb. You find that and this season will be a success , no matter what your final record is.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    All you have to look at is your Qb situation and know most likely it's going to be a very tough year for the Jets.( could be that bad) For the Jets to surprise in 2013, Geno Smith going to have get up to speed a lot faster than he has looked so far this training camp, and in the preseason games.( nfl defenses only get more complex once they start playing for real.

Can you win with your Qb just a game manager. Yes but your defense better be dominating and have a consistent running game. Jmo I don't see the Jets having either of those things. Again the season hasn't started yet so you should have hope that the Jets will be much better than people are saying , just understand that there a good chance you're going to be very disappointed in the outcome.( that just the reality of the situation)

If the Jets do anything this year ,the one thing is you want to find is your Qb. You find that and this season will be a success , no matter what your final record is.
    Yet I don't think we will be as disappointed as your going to be oh-delusional one.

Get off your high horse and go thrash out the problems from your own sh1t show of a team.

6 wins tops, and rex gets fired

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Yet I don't think we will be as disappointed as your going to be oh-delusional one.

Get off your high horse and go thrash out the problems from your own sh1t show of a team.
    Were going to find that out when they start playing for real. Let's see which one of us is going to be more disappointed. Right now who do you have more confidence in Geno Smith or T Pryor. (Neither might not start the season but only matter of time before they assume the starting job)
    Preseason means very little - see Browning Nagle(look like next Joe Namath) only to bomb when they started to play for real.

I think just having MM running the O is enough for 3 additional wins

Quote Originally Posted by Utah Jet View Post
    I think just having MM running the O is enough for 3 additional wins
    One problem is your assuming this year schedule is the same as last year. It isn't.

One problem is your assuming this year schedule is the same as last year. It isn't.
    Really??? Thanks for clearing that up....

Were going to find that out when they start playing for real. Let's see which one of us is going to be more disappointed. Right now who do you have more confidence in Geno Smith or T Pryor. (Neither might not start the season but only matter of time before they assume the starting job)
    Preseason means very little - see Browning Nagle(look like next Joe Namath) only to bomb when they started to play for real.
    I've watched all your pre-season games and you stink, by far the worst team in the NFL.

You have some front coming on here lecturing us as a fan of the ar$e hole of the NFL.

Oh I thought you might all of a sudden put T Pryor in the same class as C Palmer, Jmarcus fat and Jason Campbell and all the other losers you proclaimed as the next coming of Joe Montana.

It was you who had "just Flynn baby" as your sig not to long ago yeah?

Zero credibility here, please do yourself and all of us a favour and leave.

I think we will do well as long as Sanchez isnt the QB. People seem to forget we where in the PO race until week 15 and actually looked good out side of QB. Those last 3 games really felt some players just stop trying. If Geno can give them something to play for this is not a bad team. Leadership seems to be a big issue and it all starts with our cry baby QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I think we will do well as long as Sanchez isnt the QB. People seem to forget we where in the PO race until week 15 and actually looked good out side of QB. Those last 3 games really felt some players just stop trying. If Geno can give them something to play for this is not a bad team. Leadership seems to be a big issue and it all starts with our cry baby QB.
    100% agree. Though I do think Rex still wants Sanchez out there. Hopefully Woody interevenes

It really just depends on the offense and the QB play. If we can get good play out of the QB and just be a league average offense, then I have faith the Rex's defense to keep us in games and give us a shot.

Geno fits very well into the WC system, IMO, and he should get better as the season goes on. The downside might be that, the defense needs to gel since there are a lot of new parts and roles this year, and that might mean our defense could get exposed the first 3-4 weeks and put us in a hole. Hopefully, Rex can fix that or prevent it, but most teams with major overhaul seem to have an adjustment period.

As long as Sanchez is the starter, this team has a ceiling at perhaps six wins maximum, purely based on the lack of capabilities he affirms with his turnovers.

Hall Of Fame
    A black hole is something that sucks sooooo freakin' hard, that not even light nor hope can escape it.

just sayin'.

1. We dont have a good starting QB
    2. Our running game hasnt looked too good (Bilal Powell is our starting RB!!)
    3. Our starting RG and TE are injury prone and havent played a full season in like forever
    4. Our Starting WRs wouldnt start on most teams and the rest of the receiving corps is made up of castoffs, journeymen and UDFA hopefuls
    5. Our safeties are slow and unathletic
    6. We have a small school "rookie" starting at ILB next to a slow, past his prime David Harris.
    7. Until Coples returns our OLBs are Calvin Pace, one dimension Barnes, Sapp, and McIntyre
    8. We have a rookie CB starting across from cromartie
    9. we have a lame duck HC who is a buffoon and only cares about defense

....and yet you dont see us as beig bad this year?? Really?
    I think we will be lucky to be 6-10 with this group

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    As long as Sanchez is the starter, this team has a ceiling at perhaps six wins maximum, purely based on the lack of capabilities he affirms with his turnovers.
    And if any of our other QBs is named Starter we will be lucky to get 4 wins

Jets Insider VIP
    easiest Jets Insider vacation for me yet since it happened to coincide with a real vacation on a cruise ship to the Baltic for the last 2 plus weeks.

After reading the frantic and panicked reports on the Jacksonville and Giant preseason games I was reluctant to even watch the two games DVRed expecting debacles in which the Jets were destroyed on the field

But I watched them anyhow today

Brief summaries

Jacksonville -- Sanchez was Sanchez pissing away at least 6 points with his pick in the endzone and his incredibly incompetent clock running out scramble in the red zone at the end of the first half, Nice touchdown but more bad good and terrible for a fifth year starting QB. Simms played a very nice fourth quarter and may have played himself into a roster spot. The defense and the running game looked like they were both starting to get things in shape. Spadola looked like the best receiver on the field, almost Welker like. Kyle Wilson still appears clueless most of the time. Special teams looked fine. A nice win, albeit over a team that will probably win 3 games this season

Giants -- Smith had three interceptions in the first half as Bob Crappa and Carl Skanks managed to report at least 25 times in their horrible coverage. The first was clearly the fault of the receiver, the second a bad overthrow and the third a rookie failure to read a defensive lineman dropping into coverage. The three interceptions cost the Jets a total of 3 points. Smith did outplay one QB clearly in the first half, something Crappa and Skanks failed to report, that QB being Eli Manning who was just awful. The defense played it's best game so far other than the one run for 84 yards on the Giant's first play. Special teams were also fine and even included Jeremy Kerley actually returning a number of punts.

If Simms has another good game against the Eagle scrubs tomorrow night, he should be the backup to Smith with Sanchez the number three unless he is placed on the IR and McElroy heading off to the waiver wire along with the new guy picked up this week

The three S QB depth chart --- Smith, Simms and Sanchez

Smith is the better of the two Jet QBs in this competition as clear as the sun shining in the day time and should be the Jets starter against the Buccaneers

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah Jet View Post
    Really??? Thanks for clearing that up....
    Well you don't seem to have taken into account. While the team may be marginally better, the increased difficulty of the schedule will probably knock them back down to the same place. Assuming no injuries, and already that looks like a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Well you don't seem to have taken into account. While the team may be marginally better, the increased difficulty of the schedule will probably knock them back down to the same place. Assuming no injuries, and already that looks like a problem.
    I don't know , I look at 3 of the first 4 games as possible wins. I'm also not that terrified with the backend of the schedule. There's a stretch in the middle that's tough but I wouldn't call it a killer schedule