Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: I just don't see us being bad this year

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Your RB is a major question mark(never carried the load) and your running backs are better than a lot of teams Okay.(only in your dream world) Chris Ivory isn't even better than raiders FB marcel reece.

WR Let look at the numbers- Stephen Hill 21 receptions for 252 yards 12.0 average 3 TD. ( That a beast that would start on a lot of teams )
    Clyde Gates 16 receptions 224 yards 14.0 average
    Mohammad Massaquoi - 17 receptions 254 14.9 average
    Ben OBomana - 4 receptions for 58 yards 14.5 average
    Santonio Holmes--20 receptions for 272 yards 1 TD. Coming off devasting linsfranc injury and a poor 2011 season.
    Ryan Spadola- undrafted Fa. who knows.
    I don't need to explain anything as you can see by the numbers that group is hot garbage.

What next Geno Smithy/ Sanchez are a top three Qb in this league. ( since your going for laughs , unleash that one on the board)
    McFadden has never held the load either and couldnt do anything last year. I loved McFadden out of that draft but he is done. Reece you have to be kidding me Ivory is not a FB. Try watching game game. Hill was open deep a lot Sanchez just never threw him the ball. The guy is a 2nd year WR and look solid. Oakland doesnt even have a WR that would make this team so go crawl back under your rock. Your using stats for guys that havent had a QB and where 1st time starters last year or in college. The Jets are building a WR core that is what good team do. You've been watching the Raider too long. The talent is there in a big way with this WR core right now.

Geno is a rookie your going to get rookie play. He was the top rated rookie in this class and over the last 10 years 1st time rookie starters have done very well. Sanchez ranked below 4 rookie starters last year and 3 the year before. Rookie or not chances are he is better then Mark.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    That just shows how screwed up some of this fanbase is. Sane fans realize Sanchez is not a franchise QB and long term answer, but they also realize its stupid to rush a raw rookie into the spotlight before he's ready.

The fans who just want Sanchez out at all costs regardless if he still represents the Jets best chance of winning in the present are simply irrational. They act like Sanchez personally slept with their wives or cheated them out of millions of dollars.

Bottom line the NFL is about winning, no coach especially one on the hotseat will sacrifice wins to give someone a shot who is just not ready, and they'll certainly not give in to the fan and media agenda pressure.
    Sanchez is not a NFL QB. He just doesnt have the skills. He has been out played by pretty much every rookie in the league who started over the last 4 years except guys like Lindley. Guys like McCoy and Gabbert have played better then him. I'd say the odd are pretty good Geno is an upgrade. Dont get the Sanchez support anymore he has never proven he can play at this level and is restarting all over again. He is no where near ready and will likely never play for this team again. I said that before the draft and I still believe it. The only reason he is even still on the team is because Garrard couldnt take over.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree,he has to prove iy,but we saw him coming on towards the end of the season,then he got hurt.Barring injury, Hill has a big year,hopefully with Geno behind center.But your right,he has to prove it.I like the fact he's a hard worker and doesn't mind throwing his body around to block .To me,that bodes well,considering his obvious ability

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    I don't think this team is 2-14 or 3-13 bad....but another 6-10 isn't out of the realm of possibility.....

I think the floor is 6-10.....the ceiling if all the stars align is 9-7 and a wildcard berth.....

I agree with this. I think our ceiling is maybe 11 but our floor is 6. We will have a good D and the O will be better then it has in years now that we have a viable OC. When we hired Spags I honestly didnt like it because I always said he ran a gimmic O. I think most of us thought it still had to be better then Shotty who was just horrid. I just dont see the O being bottom 10 this year so if the D plays the way they have the last 4 years we will have a good record. Even if the O plays average ball 9-7 should be easy for this team. Teams with no D go 3-13 4-12 not ones with top ten D.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That just shows how screwed up some of this fanbase is. Sane fans realize Sanchez is not a franchise QB and long term answer, but they also realize its stupid to rush a raw rookie into the spotlight before he's ready.

The fans who just want Sanchez out at all costs regardless if he still represents the Jets best chance of winning in the present are simply irrational. They act like Sanchez personally slept with their wives or cheated them out of millions of dollars.

Bottom line the NFL is about winning, no coach especially one on the hotseat will sacrifice wins to give someone a shot who is just not ready, and they'll certainly not give in to the fan and media agenda pressure.
    He doesnt. A guy that has been consistently bad for 4 years doesnt give you a better chance of winning. Your HOPING he progressed enough to play better then a rookie. So far he hasnt shown he can do that. Geno will get better as the year goes on. Sanchez is what you see and that is average promising rookie play at best. Why not just play the promising rookie?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    He doesnt. A guy that has been consistently bad for 4 years doesnt give you a better chance of winning. Your HOPING he progressed enough to play better then a rookie. So far he hasnt shown he can do that. Geno will get better as the year goes on. Sanchez is what you see and that is average promising rookie play at best. Why not just play the promising rookie?
    +1

At least Geno has shown he can at least make PROGRESS and learn from his mistakes... so far

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with this. I think our ceiling is maybe 11 but our floor is 6. We will have a good D and the O will be better then it has in years now that we have a viable OC. When we hired Spags I honestly didnt like it because I always said he ran a gimmic O. I think most of us thought it still had to be better then Shotty who was just horrid. I just dont see the O being bottom 10 this year so if the D plays the way they have the last 4 years we will have a good record. Even if the O plays average ball 9-7 should be easy for this team. Teams with no D go 3-13 4-12 not ones with top ten D.
    Yea I think the D is top 10 at least and the O will finish in the middle of the pack and will be up and down the whole season.....we will just have to wait and see what record that adds up to.....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reason why,[even with Sanchez at QB],i believe our offense will be better is our two guards are a big upgrade in the running game.With Ivory, Goodson, and those guards our running game will be much improved.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez is not a NFL QB. He just doesnt have the skills. He has been out played by pretty much every rookie in the league who started over the last 4 years except guys like Lindley. Guys like McCoy and Gabbert have played better then him. I'd say the odd are pretty good Geno is an upgrade. Dont get the Sanchez support anymore he has never proven he can play at this level and is restarting all over again. He is no where near ready and will likely never play for this team again. I said that before the draft and I still believe it. The only reason he is even still on the team is because Garrard couldnt take over.
    Gabbert and McCoy? Really? Like really? I just don't understand this "everyone else on other teams are better than our guy/guys, oh woe is me" mentality some of you have. The grass is always greener someplace else to some of you.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    And your hangin your hopes on a talented yet raw rookie. You say Sanchez has not outplayed Geno , I say he has its not really that close.

You say Sanchez has been consistently bad for 4 years. I'll ask you 1 simple question, do you notice a marked improvement in our offense this preseason. Sanchez and Geno are coming into this season like they were both rookies facing a brand new offense , in my eyes Sanchez has looked much smoother , more decisive and generally more comfortable running this offense and that is in no small part due to MM. You can look at the past 4 years , but what I saw was an outdated offense that desperatly tried to run at all costs. As a result our QB was hung out to dry, I'm sure almost any NFL QB in that system would have looked like crap. But you can rely on the past to predict the future , I look at the present and in the present Sanchez is a better QB than Geno.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    The difference between Mark and Geno is not as big as some are trying to make it out to be. We're basing all of our Geno critique on one game!!! That one game came against the toughest team we faced so far, in a the only game played like it was a real game. Game 3 is always the toughest game and the game teams take the most seriously and that was the game Geno got the bulk of his reps in. Mark had all his reps in the lame ass games against awful teams. With that said when you look at the stats they aren't that heavily in favor of Mark if you factor in strength of competition. We all understand why Geno looked shaky, but why didn't Mark absolutely dominate those awful defenses? Why was Mark throwing picks against loser teams who weren't even playing full tilt? The Giants were playing full tilt and running more complex defenses at Geno. So what was Mark's excuse for his mistakes?

I think Geno will get better and better from here. He needs reps!!! Geno needs MM to give him a game plan that will maximize his strengths and I believe he will.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the O will be better than last year. That's not saying much, though.

#yoloswag

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    And your hangin your hopes on a talented yet raw rookie. You say Sanchez has not outplayed Geno , I say he has its not really that close.

You say Sanchez has been consistently bad for 4 years. I'll ask you 1 simple question, do you notice a marked improvement in our offense this preseason. Sanchez and Geno are coming into this season like they were both rookies facing a brand new offense , in my eyes Sanchez has looked much smoother , more decisive and generally more comfortable running this offense and that is in no small part due to MM. You can look at the past 4 years , but what I saw was an outdated offense that desperatly tried to run at all costs. As a result our QB was hung out to dry, I'm sure almost any NFL QB in that system would have looked like crap. But you can rely on the past to predict the future , I look at the present and in the present Sanchez is a better QB than Geno.
    Its the turnovers dude.Once Mark fumbles the snap,throws into triple coverage in the red zone,or loss the football without hardly getting touched,its over for him.You can blame a low completion percentage,and average passing stats on lack of talent around him, but you can't get past those drive killing turnovers

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Its the turnovers dude.Once Mark fumbles the snap,throws into triple coverage in the red zone,or loss the football without hardly getting touched,its over for him.You can blame a low completion percentage,and average passing stats on lack of talent around him, but you can't get past those drive killing turnovers
    And so far his main competition hasn't proven he can eliminate the turnovers either. Look I understand Geno will be the starter eventually, right now Sanchez is the right choice.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsluva View Post
    The difference between Mark and Geno is not as big as some are trying to make it out to be. We're basing all of our Geno critique on one game!!! That one game came against the toughest team we faced so far, in a the only game played like it was a real game. Game 3 is always the toughest game and the game teams take the most seriously and that was the game Geno got the bulk of his reps in. Mark had all his reps in the lame ass games against awful teams. With that said when you look at the stats they aren't that heavily in favor of Mark if you factor in strength of competition. We all understand why Geno looked shaky, but why didn't Mark absolutely dominate those awful defenses? Why was Mark throwing picks against loser teams who weren't even playing full tilt? The Giants were playing full tilt and running more complex defenses at Geno. So what was Mark's excuse for his mistakes?

I think Geno will get better and better from here. He needs reps!!! Geno needs MM to give him a game plan that will maximize his strengths and I believe he will.
    You at it again with that Giants ( 85 Bears) defense . The Lions Dline makes the Giants look like a grade school team. Keep throwing **** at the board someday something will stick that makes sense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    McFadden has never held the load either and couldnt do anything last year. I loved McFadden out of that draft but he is done. Reece you have to be kidding me Ivory is not a FB. Try watching game game. Hill was open deep a lot Sanchez just never threw him the ball. The guy is a 2nd year WR and look solid. Oakland doesnt even have a WR that would make this team so go crawl back under your rock. Your using stats for guys that havent had a QB and where 1st time starters last year or in college. The Jets are building a WR core that is what good team do. You've been watching the Raider too long. The talent is there in a big way with this WR core right now.

Geno is a rookie your going to get rookie play. He was the top rated rookie in this class and over the last 10 years 1st time rookie starters have done very well. Sanchez ranked below 4 rookie starters last year and 3 the year before. Rookie or not chances are he is better then Mark.
    Opinion are like arseholes, everyone has one. Until you can produce the stats to back up your opinion..(without those stats is just your hope. An Undrafted FA Rod streater who didn't even start had 39 receptions for 584 yards 15 yards average 3 Td's . Now compare that to 2nd round pick S Hill 21 receptions 252 yards 12 yard average. (was a starter) Which one would you take. Looking at that I could make a case that Rod streater is the real beast and would start on any team.

Again the Jet wr corps out perform raiders wr corp this year, than come back and make your case whose is better. Until than your just throwing your opinions out there and want me to accept them as fact. ( have nothing tio support your position)
    There isn't a thing Marcel Reece can't do better than Chris Ivory. HE bigger , faster and catches the football much better than Ivory. Fact. A better runner too.

I not even going to waste my time arguing Mcfadden is better (maybe when he puts 170 more on Jets defense again) There is no need as self explanatory,.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 08-29-2013 at 03:04 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    And so far his main competition hasn't proven he can eliminate the turnovers either. Look I understand Geno will be the starter eventually, right now Sanchez is the right choice.
    I change my mind every day about who should start the season.One thing that leans me in Genos direction is his apparent chemistry with Hill.Sanchez and Hill don't appear on the same page.Sanchez hasn't learned from his mistakes, thats why Geno might get his shot before he's fully ready.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I think the O will be better than last year. That's not saying much, though.

#yoloswag
    Exactly! And we STILL won 7 games and led the league in turnovers... People are crazy with this 3-4 win nonsense. I don't think they are Jets fans, actually... 3 wins... Sure.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We won 6 games, but I get your drift.

#yoloswag

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Man listening to the media, you would think we have no chance to win more than 4 games and are pretty much neck and neck with Oakland for the first pick. I realize I am a Jets homer, but I just do not see it. We won 6 games with Sanchez and the worst offense in the league last year, and a bunch of old slow guys with injury concerns on the defense.

Seems to me, despite the cap purge we had to do, we are a significantly better team than last year.

On the line, Richardson looks like a beast, Coples once healthy should improve from last year and Damon Harrison and Kendrick Ellis both looked poised to have breakout years and are upgrades over Pouha and Devito.

I have to be honest, I am concerned about Milliner. I was not a huge fan of the pick, and I worry that he will be very injury prone and not as good as his draft position, but I think Walls and Lankster have played really well and the secondary which played fine last year will be OK. Safety a bit of a concern, but I think they are solid.

LB is our weak spot, but Rex is good at hiding it. Scott was bad last year, and Davis although not looking like a pro bowler, is still an improvement.

I think the defense will be better.

On offense I think our skill positions look way way better than anyone imagined at the start of the preseason. Spadola looks to be a real find, and a terrific 2nd/3rd receiver that is still just learning the game. Gates has looked dramatically improved. And Hill is coming around. It may be another year before he is a true 1 but the improvement in Hill in all areas is dramatic. Kerley is a very good slot receiver (hopefully last week was an isolated event in drops) and Winslow and Cumberland and Reuland give us competent, if not flashy TEs.

RB is a bit of a question mark still but Powell has stepped up, and Bohannan looks to be a terrific late round find that can help in a lot of areas. Remains to be seen what we get from Ivory who has not looked good, and if Goodson every actually plays. Still I think we are slightly better in this area than last year.

OL looks to be significantly improved. Ducasse is a surprise, Colon is solid and the three incumbents are above average. Right now we seem to be very good at pass protection but still need work on run blocking. We have been very pass happy because of QB competition but I think run blocking will come around a bit

QB -well I think Geno has to start, and is the key to our season. He has more upside than Mark, and though he will struggle early I think we win more games with Geno than Mark who is the same player he was

But the big difference is MM. It is extremely obvious that our offense under MM through scheme alone is a vast improvement. Receivers are open, sometimes wide open often. We have been scoring quite a bit in preseason despite lots of turnovers by both QBs, and with the improved skill players I think we will score some points and be a middle of the pack offense at worse.

I just do not see us being at the bottom of the pack this year. I think we are a much improved team over last year.

I see us winning 7-9 games with Sanchez, maybe 8-11 with Geno and a good chance for a playoff spot.
    There is the SB Winner, and every other team = bottom of the pack.