Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: HUGE JetsInsider Radio show tonight with Manish Mehta and Ian Eagle 8PM

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    blind squirrel theory. I joke! I JOKE!!!!
    I am sure you have blinded many squirrels, trying to "prove" your "theories".

One of the many reasons you are a rabid fan.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I used to say to myself, who the hell names his kid IRON ?
    Iron Eagle is nazi easy to talk about

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Mehta gets pressure from the NYDN to make headline articles and stories. I remember when he was with the Ledger and everyone here loved him because we were so used to Cimini with the News. He just reported non objectively on the team and everyone on JI loved him. Ever since he took the job with NYDN he's done a total 180 on journalism.

The Daily News not only has to compete with the Post and the Times to make headlines in NY, but the newspaper itself has to be relevant enough to buy because the industry has gone to crap.

Idk just my 2 cents. Could be totally wrong.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I am sure you have blinded many squirrels, trying to "prove" your "theories".

One of the many reasons you are a rabid fan.
    I understand that Gerbils may be in short supply in New England so squirrels probably makes sense in this instance.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Some notes:

Sean and Jim went soft, but they had to, they are professionals, they can't undercut their own, there is a relationship there they need to preserve, I can respect that.

But...

- To say that Mehta and his "sources" have never been wrong is a farce, he contradicted himself with those same "sources" by proclaiming that the Jets QB competition was rigged and that Geno was going to get the job, and a week later, did a 180. He used the word disingenuous, it applies to him in many ways. The reason why Mehta gets the negative attention that he does is because he is a hack, it's no longer about covering the team, it's about TMZ ratings, and the media creates the circus atmosphere and Manish is a main player.

- The fact that Manish admitted he was emotional with his "Rex should be fired" proves how much of a farce he truly is. He claims to be objective, isn't a fan, then why get so emotional, what the hell is he getting emotional about? The reason why he is emotional is because the Jets are making it harder for him to do his job. But Manish fails on another level, Journalism 101, don't be the news, report it, Manish fails this miserably, there is no question he goes out of his way to be the news, you can tell from the reactions of other beat reporters, that they don't have a lot of respect for him, which is why fans lose respect for him. Manish comes across as a sniveling weasel, who was always the one that got picked last on the high school dodge ball teams.

- Disappointed they didn't put Manish to task for his over the top attacking of Rex and the Jets, he did it with Idzik a couple of weeks ago, nothing asked. But again, I respect the fact that Sean and Jim have to preserve that relationship, they have to remove any emotion or personal feelings, biased or not.
    Excellent post Ray.

I occurs to me that we may be guilty of the same motivation that constrained Sean here. We the posters on this board derive benefit from our relationship here at JI and so we are not as likely to speak unvarnished truth to power. Same thing with Sean and his Mehta interview. He goes lightly on Mehta because of the whole "journalist club" thing. The problem with that is if a "journalist" is conducting himself in unethical ways, the rest of the community of journalists are reluctant to criticize this behavior. Either because they are guilty to some degree of doing the same thing or, more because they simply do not want to attack one of their own.

That is what made the Olberman piece so refreshing and I think a seminal event of sorts. It was a crack in the journalistic wall of silence on this issue. Mehta's career is essentially over at this point IMO. Yes, he has had (and is having) his five minutes of fame and he is doing the talk show circuit now but as I said yesterday, even among his defenders the only real disagreement here is whether or not Mehta is BOTH unethical and incompetent or simply incompetent. I do not believe any "journalist" can survive such a public debate.

I believe that the warning shots fired this week will serve as a wake up call of sort which might actually bring the rest of the community closer towards a more traditional straight and narrow course. For this if nothing else Chris Christie and Kieth Olberman should be thanked.
    Last edited by EM31; 08-29-2013 at 08:37 AM.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Here's the episode for anyone that missed it.

CLICK HERE

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I understand that Gerbils may be in short supply in New England so squirrels probably makes sense in this instance.
    Yes, that is right. New ENglanders prefer the ones with the fluffy handle.

Glad you caught that.