Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Simms to start, Geno sits

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Simms to start, Geno sits

Didn't see a thread on this. Is this the real chance for Simms to shine?

image.jpg

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Simms to start last PS game

Simms will start at QB for Jets in final preseason game, McElroy out with injury

Read more: Simms will start at QB for Jets in final preseason game, McElroy out with injury http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsbl...#ixzz2dHhBd5Ec

The Jetsí quarterback depth chart continues to take some hits.
    Greg McElroy re-injured his left knee this week in practice and will not play Thursday night in the Jetsí preseason finale versus the Eagles, according to a source. Matt Simms will get the start and play most, if not all, of the game.
    The Jets agreed to terms with quarterback Graham Harrell on Wednesday, a source confirmed, to give them an other quarterback for Thursday night. Geno Smith will not play and Mark Sanchez is out with an injured shoulder.
    Harrell is expected to arrive in New Jersey Wednesday morning and sign the contract.
    Harrell was released by the Packers last Saturday after three seasons with the team. He was beat out by Vince Young for the backup job to Aaron Rodgers this year. He has only played four regular-season games in his career.
    McElroy has been dealing with knee and ankle injuries and has missed the last two preseason games.
    Harrell will need to get a crash course in the Jetsí offense Wednesday and Thursday if he is going to play, but he is familiar with the West Coast offense from playing in Green Bay.
    Simms has had a nice training camp and could wind up as the teamís No. 3 quarterback over McElroy.

Read more: Simms will start at QB for Jets in final preseason game, McElroy out with injury http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsbl...#ixzz2dHh5Sk66

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsbl...#axzz2dGi4PfnI

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Didn't see a thread on this. Is this the real chance for Simms to shine?

image.jpg
    Yup vs. guys that will never play football again!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder what this says about who starts week 1.....

My guess is that Geno is the guy if Mark is not healthy....If Mark is good to go week 1 he's the starter until he chokes......

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Could be good-bye Gmac

Or a trip to the IR

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    And that explains the Graham Harrell signing.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    In other news the world was biting their nails while waiting for...

#yoloswag

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is pretty crazy and indicates they are either leaning towards starting Geno or Sanchez's injury is more serious than we think. Either way, I would imagine Geno can really use the reps tomorrow so I am very surprised he's not playing.

I wouldn't want to be making the starting QB decision right now. It seems Mark has the support of his teammates and probably should get the start. Whatever the decision, it will no doubt come with tremendous scrutiny and criticism.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good for Simms. Hopefully he makes the most of this opportunity.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty sure this means Geno is the week one starter, at least as of now. Simms is probably getting extended time to see if he should stay over Alabama Greg.

That said, I'd love to see Simms win our hearts and minds and somehow usurp the Week One start. Still feel that Geno needs a little time, and I certainly don't want to see Sanchez back there ever again.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Pretty sure this means Geno is the week one starter, at least as of now. Simms is probably getting extended time to see if he should stay over Alabama Greg.

That said, I'd love to see Simms win our hearts and minds and somehow usurp the Week One start. Still feel that Geno needs a little time, and I certainly don't want to see Sanchez back there ever again.
    Same here. If Sanchez is still hurt then Geno gets the start in Week 1. They're protecting Geno at this point.

Even Rex isn't dumb enough to risk getting both of his starters hurt in the preseason, right?

right?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Good for Simms. Hopefully he makes the most of this opportunity.
    No doubt it's the breaking point in his career...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Pretty sure this means Geno is the week one starter, at least as of now.
    yes and no... It also could just mean that Rex doesn't want to play any of his starters... He's not gonna rest his starters, and play Geno.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Could be good-bye Gmac

Or a trip to the IR
    IR would be perfect - allows them to keep Geno, McElroy, and Simms under contract for next season (assuming Geno develops enough to be comfortable with him as the No. 1 QB)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    No doubt it's the breaking point in his career...
    I don't. I think he was headed to the PS until all this QB BS started.

My question is which QB is inactive game 1? This QB they just picked up is either gone prior to the opener or is either #2/#3?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    I am very surprised he's not playing.
    Is anything really surprising anymore with the Jets?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Same here. If Sanchez is still hurt then Geno gets the start in Week 1. They're protecting Geno at this point.

Even Rex isn't dumb enough to risk getting both of his starters hurt in the preseason, right?

right?
    Prayers are going up as we speak. I am not a Sanchez apologist, but leaving him in there was not the brightest. I would rather have Sanchez as our back up than Simms or McElroy. McElroy still pisses me off. You never talk outside the team. It is bad enough you have those who are the "unnamed sources" but to blatantly go out and share the secrets of the team should get you a bus ticket out of town. "...don't ever take sides with anyone against the family again. EVER"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    This is pretty crazy and indicates they are either leaning towards starting Geno or Sanchez's injury is more serious than we think. Either way, I would imagine Geno can really use the reps tomorrow so I am very surprised he's not playing.

I wouldn't want to be making the starting QB decision right now. It seems Mark has the support of his teammates and probably should get the start. Whatever the decision, it will no doubt come with tremendous scrutiny and criticism.
    Yea this is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't situation" Jets will catch flack no matter who they name the starter..

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    It's the opportunity for Simms to nail down the 3rd QB spot, and that's all.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great opportunity for Simms to make his case to be on the Jets Roster this season. He has significantly improved his play from last season...thanks to the coaching of MM-Lee. With the extended playing time he's going to get in this game, we will all get to see a more in depth look on how he commands the offense and handles adverse situations. So far I've liked his pocket poise and his decision making...especially when he's been under pressure. Simms has shown good athleticism and escape-ability. Obviously he has a rocket arm...but his accuracy has been pretty good too.

IMO...one more impressive performance...and Simms should make this team.