Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ** BREAKING ** Report: Bill Belichick knew Aaron Hernandez felt 'life was in danger'

** BREAKING ** Report: Bill Belichick knew Aaron Hernandez felt 'life was in danger'

This is Shocking news.

(maybe not)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-was-in-danger

By Will Brinson | NFL Writer

August 28, 2013 11:10 am ET

On Tuesday, not long after Aaron Hernandez was officially scheduled for a September 6 arraignment on first-degree murder charges, Rolling Stone dropped a teaser about an upcoming article on the former Patriots tight end. That teaser is now a full-blown article as Rolling Stone dropped the proverbial bombshell on Wednesday.

Titled "Gangster in the Huddle," it's a behemoth of an article that alleges a lot of pretty incendiary stuff. For instance, Rolling Stone reports that Hernandez flew to the 2013 NFL Combine to see Bill Belichick and tell the coach that the tight end felt his life was in danger.

"According to a source close to Hernandez, he flew to the NFL Combine in Indianapolis this past February and confided to Belichick that his life was in danger," Paul Solotaroff and Ron Borges write. "Hernandez was trying to break away from the gangsters he'd befriended. He worried 'they were actually trying to kill him,' says the source."

Putting aside why Hernandez was paranoid for a moment (we'll get to that), this would be a major, major deal if true. The Patriots -- or, at least, Patriots owner Robert Kraft -- claim they were "duped" by Hernandez. But if Belichick knew that Hernandez felt his life was in danger, well, it might shift some liability in this matter, moral or otherwise.

It's only alleged or reported or whatever word you need, so it might not be relevant, especially when you consider that one of two people actually know about this conversation between Belichick and Hernandez. One of those people is currently in jail and the other is the head coach of the Patriots.

But it's worth watching either way especially when two previous Patriots beat writers -- both of whom are writers for national sites -- confirmed the conversation between Belichick and Hernandez. (And as our own Pete Prisco noted, Hernandez was in Indy during the combine.)

SI.com's Greg Bedard also told me on Twitter he heard of the conversation but couldn't find a second source to confirm the story. So, yeah, wow.

Back to Hernandez paranoia. Rolling Stone alleges that Hernandez, according to friends, became a heavy "angel dust" user. (Angel dust, for you squares that don't know, is PCP.) Using this "maniacal" drug, Hernandez became insanely paranoid, RS reports, and was "carrying a gun wherever he went."

"In exclusive conversations with Rolling Stone, those friends, who insisted they not be named, say Hernandez was using the maniacal drug angel dust, had fallen in with a crew of gangsters and convinced himself that his life was in danger, carrying a gun wherever he went," the magazine reports. "Sources close to the tight end add that throughout the spring, when players are expected to be preparing themselves for the marathon NFL season, Hernandez had missed workouts and sessions with a rehab trainer, and had been told by his head coach, Bill Belichick, that he was one misstep from being cut."

The magazine also reports later in the feature that during the 2013 offseason, things got pretty bad with Hernandez and the Patriots. The tight end reportedly "blew off sessions with his therapist, Alex Guerrero, and stood up Tom Brady, who was running a camp for Pats receivers."

After a domestic dispute between Hernandez and his fiancee Shayanna Jenkins, the mag reports that Belichick became so upset he "exploded" and threatened to dump Hernandez after 2013.

"No arrest was made, but word got back to Belichick, who exploded and tendered notice: Any more disruptions and he'd be traded or cut at the end of the 2013 season," the magazine writes.

Again, pretty heavy stuff here, but also stuff that wasn't reported anywhere during the offseason. You're telling me this information didn't leak out at all to the media? Because that's a lot of incidents occurring that, one would think, might find their way to the press during the offseason.

And then there's maybe the weirdest thing of all: Rolling Stone alleges, "per a close Hernandez associate," Bill Belichick told Hernandez "to lay low, rent a safe house for a while."

I mean, WHAT? That sounds a lot more like advice from Ron Burgundy than it does Bill Belichick. But that's how, allegedly, Hernandez ended up renting his now infamous "flop house."

Seriously I'm flummoxed by all of this. The article's a complete bombshell assuming it's all true. I have a difficult time believing that Bill Freaking Belichick was told by one of his players that the player felt his own life was in danger, Belichick didn't do anything about it, so the player started skipping a bunch of workouts, then Belichick got mad and then, finally, Belichick told the player to rent a safe house and "lay low."

It's pretty implausible right? But then again, so is everything else that's happened with Aaron Hernandez over the past six months.

Albert Breer ✔ @AlbertBreer

And as I said in July, that February conversation in Indy between Belichick and Hernandez about Hernandez's fear 100 percent happened.

11:21 AM - 28 Aug 2013

Bewildered Beast
    so it might not be relevant,

wHO SAYS JOURnalistic integrity is dead?

The white wing dove? WHOOO
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 08-28-2013 at 11:46 PM.

His life wasn't in danger. He was just being a biach who couldn't handle the dust ha.. He was the danger to people, how many people is he accused of shooting?

What a circus, it's only going to get worse.

This is big because I can see Belichick now being brought into the investigation and quite possibly or even probably, the murder trial.

but, but, but, the Patriot Way? Maybe now we can stop hearing about how the Patriots are the classy and model franchise and can never do wrong.

Bewildered Beast
    Set out playin' but can't take my time
    Friend of the devil is a friend of mine
    If I get home before daylight
    Just put a chump to sleep....tooniiiiight

Got two reasons why I lie
    awake each lonely night
    first is coach belichick
    he is such a fright
    second one is prison babe, the law is on my trail
    oops they got me;

I'm locked down

where the air

gets

really

stale.

So, I guess Heisinbill is about that life.

the full article in Rolling Stones is nuts.

probably less than half of it is true, but even then, total circus they've got going up theres in Foxboro.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/th...eing-a-scumbag

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    the full article in Rolling Stones is nuts.

probably less than half of it is true, but even then, total circus they've got going up theres in Foxboro.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/th...eing-a-scumbag
    Under what grounds are you refuting anything in the article?

Here's the article on this on ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/...id-report-says

I love how the title doesn't point out the conversation with Belicheck. If this happened with the Jets the headline would have most certainly been some type of swipe at Rex. Something like "REPORT: Hernandez tells Ryan of death threats, Ryan tells Hernandez to lie low."

The media bias is nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Under what grounds are you refuting anything in the article?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    I asked you a simple question because I am a lawyer and there are legal ramifications for patently false statements such as for defamation...

And so your mature response to my reasonable request for some facts behind your naked assertions is to post a pic of a patently false UFO....

Yeah that makes sense...

Good Grief!!!!!!!!!

All League
    I asked you a simple question because I am a lawyer and there are legal ramifications for patently false statements such as for defamation...

And so your mature response to my reasonable request for some facts behind your naked assertions is to post a pic of a patently false UFO....

Yeah that makes sense...

Good Grief!!!!!!!!!
    Under what grounds are you refuting anything in the UFO pic?

Lighten up Francis

Man, I hope the trial happens during the season and BB has to testify. I also hope Court TV covers this. Can you imagine mumbles on the stand sparring with the attorneys LOL. Kraft will probably use his juice to get the trial scheduled during the off season though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    What a circus, it's only going to get worse.

This is big because I can see Belichick now being brought into the investigation and quite possibly or even probably, the murder trial.
    Lol! It'll be hilarious to hear Mumbles answers' to the DA's questions. If he answers the DA the way he usually gives answers at his pressers...he could be charged with obstruction of justice.

Yeah that makes sense...

Good Grief!!!!!!!!!
    whoa, settle down.

in case you missed it, I was the one who originally posted this story on the board today. I want it to be true with regards to the Patriots*, hence the "I want to believe" pic. It was also meant to be light-hearted and in good fun, like most of the **** I post in JI, forgive me if you felt insulted in any way.

as to why I believe theres a chance some, if not most, of the story is made up or embellished in some way, I can think of a few reasons:
    - a player who supposedly smokes weed to and from practice, and who regularly indulges his Angel Dust habit, has also never failed an NFL drug test. not saying AH didn't use drugs, but probably not in the amount and variety as described here.
    - Ron Borges is a sports reporter for the Boston Herald. why didn't the paper run this huge scoop, instead of taking it to Rolling Stone? maybe the paper didn't think it checked out.
    - anonymous sources, we criticize them all the time when they're used against the Jets, but we're supposed to believe everything some alleged folks with equally-troubled histories have to say about Hernandez? It may all be true, but the sources aren't credible.

I'm not saying its all fake, I just think a lot of it seems far-fetched and may have been augmented by the sources or the writers (or all of them). like I said, I WANT TO BELIEVE that everything in the story that ties the Pats* to this mess is true

Yeah that makes sense...

Good Grief!!!!!!!!!
    Dude... let me run you through someone with a sense of humor's thought process.

Rolling Stone isn't very reputable.

Even so, I'll make an exaggerated estimate of "less than 50% of the story probably being true" as to highlight the fact that even if 40% of said story was true it's still highly damning for the Patriots.

When asked a pointed question of "under what grounds are you refuting anything in the story" instead of replying "Because it's Rolling Stone magazine using anonymous sources you jackass" I instead tried to join forces with a fellow Jets fan employing a funny picture stating "I want to believe everything about the Patriots being ****ty is true!" Implying camaraderie of all of us hating the Pats.

Fellow Jets fan has joke and empathy fly completely over their head then calls me out for being immature and has to reveal his profession as well as the legal ramification of fabricating a story... like no publication has ever used "a source close to the person" without proof and gotten away with it. Also, patently false UFO. You think!?

Good grief!!!!

Edit: I did not see DirtStar's response when writing this.

Hall Of Fame

REPORT: Hernandez took PCP

As the layers of the onion begin to get pulled back.

Aaron Hernandez was using angel dust, had become paranoid to the point of carrying a gun everywhere and was told by New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick to lie low or he'd be cut in the year before being accused of murder, according to a story in an upcoming issue of Rolling Stone.

The Bristol County District Attorney's office, which is prosecuting the first-degree murder case involving Aaron Hernandez, has alleged a detailed timeline of events that occurred the night of Odin Lloyd's death.

Citing longtime friends of Hernandez who did not want their names used, the magazine describes a young man who was protected and pushed by his father in Bristol, Conn. But when his father, who had his own run-ins with the law but had gone straight, died unexpectedly, Hernandez's life teetered between great accomplishments on the field and trouble off it.

He escaped scrapes with the law while a star player at Florida and even convinced the Patriots he was worth drafting, but especially after signing his five-year, $40 million contract extension in 2012, Hernandez hung out almost exclusively with a rough crowd.

Friends called the people gangsters, and even Hernandez expressed concern, according to the magazine. In February, according to the report, he flew to the NFL combine in Indianapolis to tell Belichick that his life was in danger. He had been carrying a gun, fearing that the people he had been hanging out with were going to kill him.

He did not reveal that he had been using PCP (angel dust), according to Rolling Stone, nor that he often smoked marijuana after games, which is what friends told the magazine.

According to the report, this past spring Hernandez skipped workouts to rehab an injury in California. But the partying followed him there, he missed rehab sessions and the police were even called to his rental home after a loud dispute.

Belichick then told Hernandez that he had better lie low and that any more problems would result in the tight end being cut. Hernandez rented an apartment in Franklin, Mass., according to the report, creating distance from the North Attleborough mansion where he'd entertained the rough crowd.

Friends told the magazine, however, that drugs and emotional instability based on Hernandez's loss of his father led to paranoia and Hernandez's ultimate unraveling.

"Don't matter what it's about: Aaron's out of his mind," a friend of the family said, according to Rolling Stone. "He's been twisted on dust now for more than a year, which is when all of this crazy s--- started."

In the aftermath of Hernandez's arrest, it was revealed that he was a suspect in the murders of two other men in Boston and that he was facing a civil suit for shooting another man in the face.

The Bristol district attorney's office announced Tuesday that Hernandez is scheduled to be arraigned on Sept. 6 in Fall River (Mass.) Superior Court on a first-degree murder charge in the death of semi-professional football player Odin Lloyd. Hernandez was indicted Thursday.

Lloyd was found fatally shot June 17 near Hernandez's North Attleborough home. Prosecutors say Hernandez orchestrated Lloyd's killing because he was upset at him for talking to people Hernandez had problems with. Hernandez's lawyers say they are confident their client will be exonerated. Hernandez is being held without bail at a county jail.

Prosecution's Murder Timeline

Times Events
    9:00p* Hernandez asks friend to hurry to MA from CT
    9:05p Hernandez texts Lloyd, says he wants to get together
    1:12a Hernandez and friends leave his North Attleborough house in rented car
    2:32a Hernandez and friends arrive at Lloyd's home in Boston; Lloyd's sister sees him enter car
    3:07a Lloyd texts sister, asks if she saw who he was with
    3:22a Lloyd responds to sister's text: "NFL, just so you know."
    3:23a Rental car enters industrial park where Lloyd's body was found
    3:24-3:26a* Gunshots heard by employees in nearby building
    3:27a Rental car leaves industrial park
    3:29a Hernandez and friends arrive at his house; Hernandez and friend both seen holding guns
    * -- Approximate times, according to prosecution