Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Visiting Canada, *****es!!!!!!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    my most refreshing beer of all time was a Labatts Blue at the Seven Dwarfs in London
    Did you go to a bar after that?

Those midge's can give you a thirst.

Freak.

-

Jets Insider VIP
    Stop by, Flush!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by titanbuoy View Post
    I live in London, Ontario. Be thankful you were just visiting.
    Lolz. All this time I thought you lived in TN.

You're on the other side of this shallow a** lake from me. I may need to stop by your shop the next time me and the GF head to CA for a weekend off.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Did you go to a bar after that?

Those midge's can give you a thirst.

Freak.

-
    i bet you thought "that's weaksauce, don't hit submit" - but you did anyway

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

i bet you thought "that's weaksauce, don't hit submit" - but you did anyway
    A. Dont know what weak sauce means, and if I did, I would pretend I didnt because it sounds like a hip hopperenism, which I wouldnt deign to admit I knew the meaning of, because that means I am weaksocks, as a person. Which Im'nt.

b. Iffin I gave a critical review of posted replies, I wouldnt have submitted my JI sign-up. The angst would have paralyzed me.

-

Jets Insider VIP
    A. Dont know what weak sauce means, and if I did, I would pretend I didnt because it sounds like a hip hopperenism, which I wouldnt deign to admit I knew the meaning of, because that means I am weaksocks, as a person. Which Im'nt.

b. Iffin I gave a critical review of posted replies, I wouldnt have submitted my JI sign-up. The angst would have paralyzed me.

-
    boy - you're really out there weaksauce...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    boy - you're really out there weaksauce...
    Exactly, Peeberg. Exactly.

And whenst Peeberg starts posting "hey +1", I know.....to put down the pipe.

Your cynical affirmation....merely emboldens me, Peerbark.

-

Hall Of Fame
    Peerbark.

-
    you had to know this was weaksauce, weaksauce.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Stop by, Flush!!
    yeah, we're gonna need the "Fly on the wall webcam" for this meetup. Please submit to the JI Tech team for further action.

This could be the best JI encounter since GJH met Kelly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    I still have a health precaution for flying.
    JSJ
    Do tell.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Do tell.
    The Staph.

I think it's the same strain that's eating Gronk's arm off as we speak. It's the sticky-icky

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Friends Don't Let Friends.®

what? I'm tired; you finish it
    Friends don't let friends visit Canada.

my most refreshing beer of all time was a Labatts Blue at the Seven Dwarfs in London while my Dad and I were driving through on a blistering hot day.

thirty years later I still remember that damn beer
    http://dotydocs.theatreinlondon.ca/A...day/dwarfs.htm

The Seven Dwarfs
    by Christopher Doty

The Seven Dwarfs restaurant was born into a culinary wilderness.

Just after World War II the isolated stretch of highway between London and Lambeth was home to just two other eateries - if you didn't count the burger joints doubling as gas stations. But there was something special about the Seven Dwarfs from the start.

Built by Joe Raymond, his brother Cy and Ted Blainey, the English-style inn was inspired by the popular Walt Disney film. Boasting a "Hearth Room" and a sunken dance floor, the Seven Dwarfs first opened its doors to the public on October 5, 1946.

Londoners, who had been starving for a new dining experience for nearly a decade, overwhelmed the place. There wasn't a table to be had and the modest kitchen staff was quickly swamped with orders.

"We were just besieged and, eventually, we got a bad name for service," Raymond recalled in 1975.

The Monday after the opening, management published an apology for the poor service and canceled noon lunches to give the waiters and cooks time to catch their breath between sittings. Things eventually leveled off and the service at the Seven Dwarfs reflected the industriousness of their namesakes. As a bonus, Joe met his future wife and business partner, Ellie, when he horned into her date at his restaurant.

Boasting "good food, good music and dancing," the Seven Dwarfs soon became better known as an after-hours spot, even though it didn't have a liquor license. Prior to 1968 Westminster Township was dry, meaning patrons had to smuggle in their own booze. When former 1920s heart throb Rudy Vallee dined at the place in the early 1960s, he brought along a portable bar and mixed cocktails at his table.

While the arrangement worked for a while, the OPP began conducting raids in 1963 after a rival restaurant owner filed a complaint against Raymond. The constant police checks spooked patrons who began avoiding the place like a speed trap.

The Seven Dwarfs nearly went bankrupt during this time. Joe took out a second mortgage on the place and unpaid bills often meant that items on the menu - and even electricity - weren't available. Ellie Raymond would cover by telling guests not to order a nonexistent dinner of roast beef because the meat was too tough.

After the township went wet, Ellie was one of the first restaurant owners in Westminster to secure a liquor license. The Seven Dwarfs sailed into the 1970s with a new lease on life.

But the return of big crowds created another problem. On busy nights, the one and a half acre parking lot was easily filled, forcing dinners to park on either side of the highway outside. When two men were fatally run over in the late 1960s, the OPP cited the overflow parking as a traffic danger. A coroner's jury later recommended parking restrictions.

Over the years, the Seven Dwarfs claimed celebrities like Nat King Cole, The Glenn Miller Orchestra and Johnny Cash performed for dancers. They're great stories - but probably just that. Although it boasted a modest dance floor, the Seven Dwarfs was too small - and too remote - to accommodate major artists who were just ten minutes away from much larger venues in London.

Chances are these greats stopped by for no more than a couple of dry martinis and an order of prime rib while seated alongside visiting hockey greats like Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito and Gerry Cheevers.

Gus and John Liabotis purchased the restaurant in July 1975 and added a major addition ten years later, complimented by a vintage neon sign sporting the most popular of the Disney dwarfs, Dopey.

However, as the Seven Dwarfs entered its second half century in 1996 it began to look more like a cafeteria at a retirement home. The live music disappeared, the dance floor fell into disuse and the restaurant's buffet devolved into a bland palette of Tim Horton's donuts and rice pudding. Younger diners can be forgiven for assuming you had to be a senior citizen to get into the place.

"They must be going home to catch 60 Minutes," quipped one patron as he surveyed the place emptying out early one Sunday evening. In April 2004, the Seven Dwarfs shut its doors. Mounting debts were too much for its third owner, Pat Liabotis.

However, like the fairy tale it was based upon, the Seven Dwarfs would have its happy ending. In March 2005 the restaurant reopened after extensive remodeling. The Dwarfs memorabilia is back in place and new owner John Panos is promising the create a wall of fame of all the celebrities who have "performed" there over the years.

But for this writer the most unique thing about the Seven Dwarfs is that it has sailed through nearly 60 years of service without receiving a single legal challenge from the Walt Disney Company for using its characters. Perhaps the statute of limitations ran out a long time ago - or perhaps those lawyers in California just appreciate good food.
    Last edited by titanbuoy; 08-30-2013 at 11:17 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by titanbuoy View Post
    I live in London, Ontario. Be thankful you were just visiting.
    Taking the high road here (for the nonce) , when I get to the travelogue posts everyone will see a glimpse of how underwhelming things are there.

Seems like an OK, quiet place to live outside of the constant T-storms and mountains of snow.

And the corrupt mayor and exodus of major corporations.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Why?
    Whyyyyy not? It makes for conversation, and others relate with their own experiences.
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 08-31-2013 at 05:25 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by leftturn3 View Post
    And your bragging about this why?
    I'm telling, not bragging to my friends here, not you

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Jungle, you are in MY neck of the woods! I live fifteen minutes from London, and will be working tonight (work in a bar at the University)! Too bad you can't come by, I'd buy you six beers. But you're an American, so six micro-beers from Canada might kill you. You better keep driving.
    Thank you very much for the kind invite CanadaSteve. Due to circumstances I was just passing through but I would have taken you up on it.
    I never cared much for the ON beer selection and this time was no exception , but I did get an assortment of mundane brews from Beer Store, LCBO and Duty Free, as will be seen shortly. As an aside prices for everything, everywhere outside of sales seemed higher than here.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boston Patriot View Post
    Can you go by Timmeeeessss house/coop on the way home and pick up some peaches for the hampur oktoberfest party? You might also check and see if he has come to from the latest bender.
    On my way home I did not go anywhere near VT but if Timmy wants me to stop by on my next trip to PQ I will. Peaches, or no.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Stop by, Flush!!
    Thank you very much for the kind invite PK. Due to circumstances I was just passing through but I would have taken you up on it.

All Pro
    Now for the trip recap.

Drove on Rte 80, which is direct but a) fairly dull b) loaded with a lot of fast moving Oversized Loads.
    And no wonder since it is a truly Trans-Continental Highway.
    Also much of OH Turnpike, a long stretch was under construction and high speed travel against these
    monsters in narrowed 2 lane highways in a Kia Forte was no Sunday drive.

I thought I had seen everything but I saw a cab pulling 3 other cabs hooked up at 45 degree angles, homes,
    what looked like munitions (brass/bronze colored shells something like giant Whip-It cartridges),
    meat freezers that go inside warehouse clubs, a giant tank that looked like Mothra with sun poisoning...

PA, Tuesday 8/27

At PA/OH border in driving rain

Around 5 things sunny and got hotter as I drove W - just farms and trucks with the occasional rest stop

7 PM Chicago on the horizon on the way to Lake Zurich. @ 94 Degrees F

Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 08-31-2013 at 09:02 PM.