Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ...Revis likes new island, ready to 'take care' of Jets ~ ~ ~

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Isn't the best CB in football kind of meaningless in the WC offense?
    wat

Quote Originally Posted by CGJET View Post
    I'll give him his due as the best in the game, at this time. However, the Jets always paid him fairly in my opinion. He could have stayed and been loved and gone down as one of the greatest Jets of all time. The money wasn't enough so have fun with a team going no where in sunny Florida.
    Plus none of the mega contract money is guaranteed IIRC... The Jets world has moved on... can't wait for Gates/Hill to burn him deep

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Plus none of the mega contract money is guaranteed IIRC... The Jets world has moved on... can't wait for Gates/Hill to burn him deep
    LOL. The Jets won't even throw in Revis' direction

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by w0mbat View Post
    LOL. The Jets won't even throw in Revis' direction
    He'll go down with a hamstring on his own trying to chase down Hill.

Practice Squad
    Stay classy, Revis.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    A terrific player - one of the best ever at his position - but no longer a Jet, so of little interest.

Best of luck to you personally with your return from injury, Darrelle, but may your team fail spectacularly in week 1.
    yup...exactly

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    It's been a long time since he played on this field...I stooped missing him the day he got traded....I moved on quickly...aside from the game with the bucs, my recollection of the trade will be to see when the Jets have with their 2 number 3 picks next year.

Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    If the guy loved us back it could've been epic. I miss him on the field but for better or worse his uncle Sean Gilbert (who sat out a year over money) made sure he was a mercenary from day 1 in this league...maybe it's the smart way to go but it's sterile and a little soulless and certainly actually makes me a small bit relieved this HOFer in his prime plays for a different team.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    It's been a long time since he played on this field...I stooped missing him the day he got traded....I moved on quickly...aside from the game with the bucs, my recollection of the trade will be to see when the Jets have with their 2 number 3 picks next year.
    trade-up in the draft

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Hey Mevis, most fans support management!
    WHAT?!

Only a clueless fan supports this team's management, which is among(if not the) worst in sports.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    WHAT?!

Only a clueless fan supports this team's management, which is among(if not the) worst in sports.
    worst ? ?...oakland

Hall Of Fame
    A Rebuilt Revis Is Looking Ahead, Not Back

The Buccaneers' Darrelle Revis vowed that he was “way past” the bitter circumstances regarding his departure with the Jets.

TAMPA, Fla. — Darrelle Revis leaves his waterfront residence downtown every morning and drives to an office whose entrance is flanked by palm trees. It is always warm, always sunny, and even if it isn’t, it still seems that way to Revis. Sometimes, he said with a laugh, he has to tell himself that he isn’t on vacation.

In theory, that should not be so difficult. Reminders are scattered throughout One Buccaneer Place, Revis’s workplace since the Buccaneers acquired him from the Jets in April.

He sees coaches who tutored him years ago at the University of Pittsburgh, long before he evolved into the N.F.L.’s best cover cornerback. He sees teammates who treat him with equal parts reverence and respect, with some admitting to being so captivated by his skills that at times they have watched only him at practice. He sees members of an organization that coveted him, then chased him with vigor, willing to bet that he would resume blanketing receivers and tormenting quarterbacks just as soon as his surgically repaired left knee would let him.

“Sure, it’s a big risk on them,” Revis said of the Buccaneers in an interview. But he added: “I’m betting on myself. Wouldn’t you?”

Revis’s expectations are matched only by the anticipation concerning his return. Mark Dominik, the Buccaneers’ general manager, went to pay for his gas recently and was greeted by an attendant who did not offer so much as a “Hi, how are you?” before grilling him on Revis’s status. On Aug. 19, after Revis was cleared to participate for the first time in 11-on-11 drills, going full speed against Vincent Jackson, the defensive backs meeting room erupted when he walked in. They chanted, “Oh, Revis Island’s back, Revis Island’s back.”

Nearly a year after Revis tore his anterior cruciate ligament in a Week 3 game at Miami, his eponymous island — that fictitious place where opposing wideouts vanish — has been cleaned up, restored and relocated to the N.F.C. South, a division of productive passers and dangerous receivers. Revis has begun dissecting game film from 2009, when he last played against the Atlanta Falcons, the Carolina Panthers and the New Orleans Saints, reviewing how he covered Roddy White, Steve Smith and Marques Colston then and how he expects to do so again in a new defensive system.

Because he will be covering them. If teams want to test his knee by throwing in his direction early and often, Revis, with a smile, said he would be ready.

“I have no doubt that he’ll be everything we expected,” said Bill Sheridan, the Buccaneers’ defensive coordinator.

The rebuilt Revis looks and sounds much the same in pewter and red as he did in green and white: intense, disarmingly confident and with his beard in full bloom. Dominik observes him at practice and marvels at his route mastery, his ball skills, his spatial awareness. People who know him well, though, say that Revis was humbled by his injury. At the time, he said, he was worried whether it had robbed him of more than just his 2012 season.

Perhaps that was a reason Revis was in a reflective mood one recent afternoon, professing that he cares more about competing again — “Just taking the steps out that tunnel and having the chance to play the game I love,” he said — than avenging his contentious breakup with the Jets when Tampa Bay opens its season against them Sept. 8 at MetLife Stadium.

Affixed to a wall at the far end of the Buccaneers’ locker room is a digital clock ticking off the days, down to the second, until that game. Revis said he forgot the clock was even there. He said he hadn’t looked at it in 16 days.

Buccaneers Coach Greg Schiano, in an interview, said: “This is a long-term relationship. It’s not about one game, although I know he wants to play against the Jets, desperately.”

Revis said he would not derive any additional pleasure from intercepting a pass or breaking up a potential touchdown next Sunday. He vowed that he was “way past” the bitter circumstances regarding his departure, but it took him awhile to accept them. With the Jets unwilling to accede to his contract demands, General Manager John Idzik, faced with the possibility of receiving only a compensatory draft pick if Revis left as an unrestricted free agent after the season, shipped him to the Buccaneers for two draft picks. Tampa Bay signed him to a six-year, $96 million contract, with no guaranteed money.

Revis felt underappreciated by the Jets, if not a bit betrayed. Not that he was necessarily entitled to regular updates on his status, but, he said, whenever he sought clarity, he never received it. Not from Coach Rex Ryan, not from Idzik, not from the owner, Woody Johnson.

“I kept hearing that I was on the trading block, but I was just getting all that off of TV,” Revis said. “I wasn’t getting the real answers from Coach Ryan. I didn’t ever talk to Woody. He was nowhere to be found. Not even a ‘Hey man, we appreciate what you did here. We’re feeling this way.’ Just be a man about it. I think, in that aspect, they made me feel like an outsider.”

At the Jets’ facility, Revis’s old locker is now occupied by Chris Ivory. His No. 24 went to John Griffin, then to Kahlil Bell. His name is invoked only by reporters asking about the impact of his absence.

“Why do we have to talk about him?” said the Jets’ defensive coordinator, Dennis Thurman, who had been Revis’s position coach the last four seasons. “The whole team feels that way. The whole organization feels that way. You coach who’s here, you work with who’s here, you wish him the best, and that’s it.”

The day Revis learned he tore his A.C.L., the Jets were dejected, and he was numb. He received a call from his defensive backs trainer, Will Sullivan, who was surprised that Revis even answered the phone.

Sullivan’s first question: Where’s your head?

Revis’s answer: I’m good, I’m good.

During his workouts with Sullivan, there had always been an unwritten rule, one that would apply this off-season even more: never discuss last season. Their emphasis would be that day’s agenda, nothing beyond.

In previous off-seasons, Revis would spend many an afternoon analyzing game film of receivers he expected to neutralize; he was known for writing their names on a blackboard beside the Jets’ corresponding opponent. Now he concentrated on himself.

In his three-hour morning sessions at the Fischer Institute of Physical Therapy and Performance in Phoenix, Revis focused on strength and conditioning. In the afternoon, he watched video for two hours, comparing his progress to his pre-injury form, then spent another two hours doing speed, agility and defensive back drills. Every milepost he reached on schedule, at times overcoming nerves laced with self-doubt so he could be healthy when training opened in late July. (The day in May he was asked to cut for the first time, Revis said he told Todd Toriscelli, the Buccaneers’ head trainer, “I don’t want to” before relenting.)

“Our goal was never to bring him back to where he was,” said Brett Fischer, the owner and founder of the Fischer Institute. “It was to bring him back even better.”

Early on, Fischer explained that objective to Revis, not to pump him up, but because he believed it would happen. Revis, Fischer said, approached his rehabilitation with a ferocity that bordered on obsessive. He began his upper-body weight lifting months earlier than usual. He demanded the training staff correct every mistake until his form was pristine. He adhered to a strict diet, eating three organic meals daily that were supplied by a local catering service.

Revis still abides by that dietary change. One afternoon, the rookie cornerback Johnthan Banks hollered, “KFC? Taco Bell?” to him from across the locker room. Revis laughed and said, “You know I don’t eat that stuff no more.”

Later, Banks said: “I knew the answer before I asked him. I was just doing my rookie duties.”

Another rookie duty for Banks is following around Revis, whom Dominik has taken to describing as the E. F. Hutton of cornerbacks. “When Darrelle talks,” Dominik said, “people listen.” Banks credits Revis with pointing out flaws in his technique. Leonard Johnson, a second-year cornerback, said Revis helped him to recognize hash-split alignments and better read receivers’ hips.

At first, Johnson was so intimidated by Revis that he did not talk to him. “I was star-struck,” Johnson said. “I just didn’t want to cross any boundaries.” By the first week of training camp, Johnson was calling him Grandpa. Revis asked Johnson how old he thought he was. About 33, maybe 34, Johnson told him. Revis turned 28 in July. Oops.

“I’m old?” Revis said. “I’m only going into my seventh year.”

He gave a long, deep laugh and shook his head. He is surrounded by younger men, but he has a new knee and a new opportunity. Football begins again for Darrelle Revis, and he is glad to have it back.

> http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/01/sp...s&emc=rss&_r=0

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    One afternoon, the rookie cornerback Johnthan Banks hollered, “KFC? Taco Bell?” to him from across the locker room. Revis laughed and said, “You know I don’t eat that stuff no more.”

Later, Banks said: “I knew the answer before I asked him. I was just doing my rookie duties.”
    Well, that's one Rex Ryan-ism that rubbed off on him.

All League
    I liked him, and wish him well but he's gonna be irrelevant in Tampa. See ya

Jets Insider VIP
    WHAT?!

NO SIR....this move, to walk away from MEVIS was gutsy and is supported by most fans. Great franchises have the support of the fans. WE are not great.... But Steelers, Packers, Giants fans don't question management in most decisions.

WHAT?!

The Jets should have gotten more for Revis, but the Jets made the right decision on getting rid of him. Out of curiosity, with the Jets $9m or so under the cap (and with Miliner not there as a bonus pick) , who would you trim to get the other $8m under the cap.

No matter how good, a $16m CB is a liability (coming off a season ending injury) , not a asset.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    NO SIR....this move, to walk away from MEVIS was gutsy and is supported by most fans. Great franchises have the support of the fans. WE are not great.... But Steelers, Packers, Giants fans don't question management in most decisions.
    The. Steelers, Giants, and Packers have Super Bowl wins in the last decade. The Jets have multiple visits to the AFC Championship game. There would be less reason to question their management

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    The. Steelers, Giants, and Packers have Super Bowl wins in the last decade. The Jets have multiple visits to the AFC Championship game. There would be less reason to question their management
    yup ^ ^

Great player...he'll make the HOF if he comes back strong. But...IDK anymore about him. Holding out and renegotiating contracts...aiming for ridiculous QB money...was always more important to Revis then wearing the Green 'n White...

Jets Insider VIP
    Oh what I wouldn't give to see Hill torch his ass for 70 yards on the first play of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Oh what I wouldn't give to see Hill torch his ass for 70 yards on the first play of the game.
    Amen brother