Thread: New Story: Preseason Preview Jets v. Eagles: Who will fly?

Post New Story: Preseason Preview Jets v. Eagles: Who will fly?

Leave it to the Jets to put excitement into preseason games, especially the fourth preseason game, which is usually a battle between the backups. The roster needs to be cut down to the final 53 by Saturday night.

WHEN: Thursday, August 29, 2013, 7:00 p.m. EST (TV-WCBS, Radio-ESPN New York 98.7FM)

WHERE: MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ

WHAT TO WATCH FOR:

- *Matt Simms will start...and I'm excited about this. The QB with the big arm, who's basically a prince in the NFL based on his genetic make-up, has been impressive every time he's hit the field. He has a 137.5 passer rating. That's...

More...

Hall Of Fame
    Glad to see Simms getting a shot. He earned it. I hope he makes the team. Spadola is not the typical UDFA that makes some noise in TC and is never heard from again. He actually has the talent to stick with the team and be an impact player for us. If he becomes half the player Cruz is then he will be a steal for us.

Simms plays well tonight he better be our # 3. All year long we heard about competition and the best man will play or make the team. McCelroy is not some high draft pick nor has he shown he can be a # 1, so the competition between him and Simms is about this pre-season

Quote Originally Posted by Sec340 View Post
    Simms plays well tonight he better be our # 3. All year long we heard about competition and the best man will play or make the team. McCelroy is not some high draft pick nor has he shown he can be a # 1, so the competition between him and Simms is about this pre-season
    Simms is a better physical specimen, with a vastly superior arm, who has stayed healthy thus far, played very well in his opportunities, and (it can't be ignored) comes from a great NFL/NY QB in his Dad.

McElroy is a media-leaker, with very limited physical tools, a severely below-average NFL arm, with a history of injuries/fragility, who has been hurt/unavailable almost the entire preseason this year, and who failed to impress in his big chance in the regular season last year. He is smart tho, I hear.

If we're going to have a developmental 33 QB, it's far better to work developing Simms, who has what cannot be taught in size and arm, than to hope the "smart" McElroy can grow into a much better arm.

If McKnight was cut. And Edwards was cut. McElroy MUST be cut.

Veteran
    I too think its time to move on from McElroy. Simms is better.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorJet View Post
    I too think its time to move on from McElroy. Simms is better.
    I don't know about better, but he is healthier.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Simms is a better physical specimen, with a vastly superior arm, who has stayed healthy thus far, played very well in his opportunities, and (it can't be ignored) comes from a great NFL/NY QB in his Dad.

McElroy is a media-leaker, with very limited physical tools, a severely below-average NFL arm, with a history of injuries/fragility, who has been hurt/unavailable almost the entire preseason this year, and who failed to impress in his big chance in the regular season last year. He is smart tho, I hear.

If we're going to have a developmental 33 QB, it's far better to work developing Simms, who has what cannot be taught in size and arm, than to hope the "smart" McElroy can grow into a much better arm.

It's not often that a dad that has played also have 2 sons make it to the NFL.. You can't beat the Mannings though Dad was the 2nd pick of the 1971 draft(Jim plunkett was 1st) but his boys were the first player taken in their drafts.. In the Simms case Phil was a 1st rd pick(number 7) Chris was a 3rd rd pick and is gone from the league and Matt was a UDFA.. Both the Manning boys are Bowl winners it would be a nice story if Matt joins his dad as a bowl winner some day as a Jet..

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post

And so it was written and so it was done.