Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: For Non-NY Fans: Did Simms Win the #3 QB Job Tonight?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    3rd string? He's the best qb on the roster as of today..
    Maybe as he played a 2nd,3rd string philly team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Here's the thing - Smith right now is too much of a project to even be considered a starter.

Tonight we saw more poise, accuracy, and arm strength from Simms than we've seen from Sanchez throughout all of training camp and the preseason. To non-NY fans, he was as good as the stats suggest. Maybe even better, because as other mentioned there were several perfectly thrown balls that were dropped. He also got roughed around quite a bit. I'd like to see him behind the starting o-line to see how good he could be.

I'm not ready annoint him savior yet, but he looked a hell of a lot better than a #3 back-bencher, and even better than our 5th year starter. It would be a mistake to just brush him aside because he's not the incumbent and he's not the news making 2nd round pick.
    I didn't see the game but will do so when I get home from vacation. I'm excited about your evaluation of Simms.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    I just feel darn good that we have Simms as a backup.
    It is going to be an interesting season for sure. Let's see how the coaches handle things.

I have not seen the game yet, but....

8.6 yards per completion is terrible. Worst in the league terrible (Ponder was the only QB under 10 ypc last year, at 9.8). You'd have to complete an insane percentage of passes to offset that. And even with the 75% completion rate, his yards per attempt was still just 6.5 (0.1 better than Sanchez last year). I don't see how this performance against a 3rd string defense gets more than an "OK."

I'm about to watch the game right now, maybe I'll see something that's not present in the numbers (like being great on 3rd down).

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Maybe as he played a 2nd,3rd string philly team.
    The Philly D is as bad as it ever has been. They really have nothing in that secondary and their LBs make ours look great. They should have traded Cole for someone that can play a 3-4. We have BUs that are better then their starters. Cox may be the only better then average player they have on that D. Williams maybe but he slacked off this off season. Dude got paid then all of the sudden didnt care about football. That O better score like 40 points a game or it may be a long season in Philly.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post

8.6 yards per completion is terrible. Worst in the league terrible (Ponder was the only QB under 10 ypc last year, at 9.8). You'd have to complete an insane percentage of passes to offset that. And even with the 75% completion rate, his yards per attempt was still just 6.5 (0.1 better than Sanchez last year). I don't see how this performance against a 3rd string defense gets more than an "OK."

I'm about to watch the game right now, maybe I'll see something that's not present in the numbers (like being great on 3rd down).

If this were even a real game I would say it's one game. Not sure how you can complain about the numbers he put up tonight though.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    Smith is far from a project.....last year in pre season luck-Wilson, and another rookie had a 3 interception pre season game...perhaps you need to watch the game again...he looked good on many other plays.
    He did, but the mental errors were discouraging. Watching him run out of the back of the endzone was cringe-worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    If this were even a real game I would say it's one game. Not sure how you can complain about the numbers he put up tonight though.
    Not complaining about Simms.

I don't understand how such a performance gets praise.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Indeed. His stats are more impressive when you consider he got sacked around 7 times.
    There is a ton of potential in Simms golden arm. I love his laser beams!

Jets Insider VIP

Look at the final score and see we won with a raw QB leading second and third stringers. He moved the ball and made Sanchez passes look lazy. The kid can be developed!

Jets Insider VIP
    He did, but the mental errors were discouraging. Watching him run out of the back of the endzone was cringe-worthy.
    Be realistic. Perfection from a kid who barely played I. College to do great in his first start , well I think he did fine. Sanchez has been here 5 years and does the same things and he can not throw with Simms!

Jets Insider VIP

Receivers got to catch the ball when it's perfectly thrown!

Jets Insider VIP

He converted a 3rd and 19 for a first down. I don't know if I've ever seen that since watching this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    He converted a 3rd and 19 for a first down. I don't know if I've ever seen that since watching this team.
    Your memory is shot.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by david1023 View Post
    Your memory is shot.
    Typically here, 3rd and 19 would have been the down where you know the next one you'll be punting.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 08-30-2013 at 08:47 AM.

It was an extremely strong performance by Simms. There were a few bad drops that would have padded his stats.

Quote Originally Posted by david1023 View Post
    Money. You don't pay a guy to play third string qb without giving him a chance.
    That is the beauty of picking Smith in the 2nd round ... He is making peanuts,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

He outperformed every QB on our roster ... By miles ... In just about every checkbox

One mental error really ... The safety .

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    The Philly D is as bad as it ever has been. They really have nothing in that secondary and their LBs make ours look great. They should have traded Cole for someone that can play a 3-4. We have BUs that are better then their starters. Cox may be the only better then average player they have on that D. Williams maybe but he slacked off this off season. Dude got paid then all of the sudden didnt care about football. That O better score like 40 points a game or it may be a long season in Philly.
    You know what was really bad tonight ? The Jets OL.