Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: For Non-NY Fans: Did Simms Win the #3 QB Job Tonight?

Simms is currently the best QB on the roster and as such should be the starter until proven otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentide View Post
    Simms is currently the best QB on the roster and as such should be the starter until proven otherwise.
    +1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jets Insider VIP
    once Idzik makes the best final decision for the Jets QB situation and puts the TO machine on the IR for the final season of his Jet career, starts Smith and makes Simms the backup for the 2013 season, good things can start to happen for the Jets offense in 2013

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Not complaining about Simms.

I don't understand how such a performance gets praise.
    In the post-Buttfumble/Tebow era Simms preseason play doesn't deserve praise - he deserves a statue at Florham Park.

And if you think I'm being silly, keep in mind you're the one who's describing Simms' play as "worst in the league terrible".

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    what has Smith shown that you would put him ahead of Simms?
    TOUCH,Simms throws one speed.I like him alot though,he'as our #2 next year when we wave by by to Mark.He also doesn't have Geno's escapability,but i like him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    He did, but the mental errors were discouraging. Watching him run out of the back of the endzone was cringe-worthy.
    Yeah, but Simms was similar. Smith threw ball away w/ 1 foot on the line. Simms threw ball away w/ one knee on the ground. We don't even need to go into Sanchez cringe-worthy history.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Maybe as he played a 2nd,3rd string philly team.
    Well anyone with football logic could tell he was throwing bullets in the belly of recievers, something the other 2 cannot physically do.. I didn't see him throw a ball that had a high chance of being picked off (something the other 2 do well). Basically that's what we need, a qb who doesn't turn the ball over.. Geno and of course Sanchez haven't figured that out yet

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I have not seen the game yet, but....

8.6 yards per completion is terrible. Worst in the league terrible (Ponder was the only QB under 10 ypc last year, at 9.8). You'd have to complete an insane percentage of passes to offset that. And even with the 75% completion rate, his yards per attempt was still just 6.5 (0.1 better than Sanchez last year). I don't see how this performance against a 3rd string defense gets more than an "OK."

I'm about to watch the game right now, maybe I'll see something that's not present in the numbers (like being great on 3rd down).
    Lol we have been carrying the worst qb in NFL for past two years and your nitpicking about yards per completion ? Lol. I saw a kid throw for a good amount of yards and not turn the ball over.. That's like impossible for a jet qb to do.. This kid has took every chance he's been given and come through.. Can u count on 100 fingers how many chances Sanchez has been given and failed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Here's the thing - Smith right now is too much of a project to even be considered a starter.

Tonight we saw more poise, accuracy, and arm strength from Simms than we've seen from Sanchez throughout all of training camp and the preseason. To non-NY fans, he was as good as the stats suggest. Maybe even better, because as other mentioned there were several perfectly thrown balls that were dropped. He also got roughed around quite a bit. I'd like to see him behind the starting o-line to see how good he could be.

I'm not ready annoint him savior yet, but he looked a hell of a lot better than a #3 back-bencher, and even better than our 5th year starter. It would be a mistake to just brush him aside because he's not the incumbent and he's not the news making 2nd round pick.
    Not quite - he also threw two should-have-been picks (hit the defender in the numbers with one) and a few more throws that probably would be in that category against better defenders. But overall, he looked damn good and must be on the roster. McElroy to IR

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Well anyone with football logic could tell he was throwing bullets in the belly of recievers, something the other 2 cannot physically do.. I didn't see him throw a ball that had a high chance of being picked off (something the other 2 do well). Basically that's what we need, a qb who doesn't turn the ball over.. Geno and of course Sanchez haven't figured that out yet
    His first throw of the game hit a defender in the numbers for a dropped pick six. Towards the end of the game, Kurt Coleman should have had a second one.

People are getting crazy about a very good performance against a bad third string D. Simms tonight showed excellent potential. Take that and run.

And for those going crazy about Geno and loving Simms, keep in mind that Geno showed more this preseason than Simms did last.

Veteran
    No option but to have him on the final roster, he won't clear waivers to get to the PS. He's shown copious amounts of arm talent and hasn't turned the ball over which is a breath of fresh air. Far more upside than Gmac also.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    Down at Disney, so I missed the game, but followed on my iPhone and stats don't lie and he did not get hurt so he has to stick. Also tons of potential lineman here. Amazing the size of some humans...
    While I think he earned the roster spot based upon his play this preseason, he is also healthy. I don't see how they can go into the season with McElroy and Sanchez both being banged up along with Geno who is also coming off of the ankle injury. Simms has to have a spot.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by david1023 View Post
    He looked very impressive, but I'm not ready to annoint him the Brett Ratliff award just yet.
    Hopefully, he DOESN'T get the Brett Ratliff Award.

Won the #3 QB spot?

I think he won the starting spot straight up. He's our best QB. Rex doesn't have the balls to make the right decision here though.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Hopefully, he DOESN'T get the Brett Ratliff Award.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. But he still earned a spot on this roster.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Not quite - he also threw two should-have-been picks (hit the defender in the numbers with one) and a few more throws that probably would be in that category against better defenders. But overall, he looked damn good and must be on the roster. McElroy to IR
    You're right, I forgot about that. He had so much heat on the ball though that the defender couldn't hang on to it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    All I care about is finding a 1, could be Mickey Mouse.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    Down at Disney, so I missed the game, but followed on my iPhone and stats don't lie and he did not get hurt so he has to stick. Also tons of potential lineman here. Amazing the size of some humans...
    Scouting for our next QB?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    Sanchez got destroyed playing with the same guys in offense, against the same guys on defense
    And Simms was sacked 7 times. Perhaps he was lucky to come out of it unscathed?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Scouting for our next QB?

No, beat sweating like a rented mule... Hot down here!

Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    TOUCH,Simms throws one speed.I like him alot though,he'as our #2 next year when we wave by by to Mark.He also doesn't have Geno's escapability,but i like him.
    He showed a lot of escapability yesterday - he ran for a first down or two, without twisting his ankle