Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: " Bring on the Bucs " ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

Cool " Bring on the Bucs " ~ ~ ~

Bring on the Bucs

The 2013 New York Jets regular season is here.

An interesting preseason reached its conclusion Thursday night at MetLife Stadium and little more than a week remains before the ball is kicked on Sep. 8. There are a lot of things we know about this team and there are many questions.

"The one thing I’m extremely happy about is how I feel this team is coming together," said head coach Rex Ryan after his club closed its summer slate 3-1 with a 27-20 triumph over the Eagles. "I think this team is really meshing together. And as I said before, this is what you want as a football team — you want your whole to be greater than the sum of its parts, and I think that our team is, and we’re going to need to be. We recognize that, but we have to be all in together, and I feel like our team is really coming together like that."

The Green & White could have one of the best defensive fronts in football with Muhammad Wilkerson leading the way. Rookie Sheldon Richardson, a Missouri product who legions questioned when the Jets took him the No. 13 overall selection, had a mammoth summer with 18 tackles in three preseason games and possesses outstanding versatility. How long will hybrid Quinton Coples be out and has Damon “Snacks” Harrison earned a starting job at the nose while Kenrick Ellis continues to battle a back injury?

Demario Davis steps into the spotlight next week beside David Harris at inside linebacker. The secondary has talent, but it is a young group. Cornerback Dee Milliner, who appeared in only two preseason contests, will be challenged immediately on opening day. Dawan Landry is the grizzly vet and he’ll be joined by either Jaiquawn Jarrett (who was all over the field against his former team) or the rangy Antonio Allen.

"I think it’s maybe a little too close to call. We’ll see," Ryan said of the young duo. "Certainly, we’ll evaluate it all on tape. We know we have a couple good football players there. Both guys had their moments today as well. So, we’ll look at it, study who the opponent is and maybe it comes down to opponent-specific as well, but we’re happy with both those guys."

Heading into the preseason finale, offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg had the Green & White in the summer top five for scoring (26 points an outing), total offense (385.7 yards per game) and passing yards (301.7 a contest). He is creative and finds the mismatches, using a variety of personnel along with multiple formations and shifts.

The Jets break in two new guards on the offensive line as veteran Willie Colon has a championship pedigree and Vladimir Ducasse really had a nice summer. Tight end looks solid with the veteran Kellen Winslow Jr., an improved and more explosive looking Jeff Cumberland and a jack of all trades that is Konrad Reuland.

Wide receiver is not void of talent either and the Jets will get a major boost when Santonio Holmes returns to the lineup. Jeremy Kerley is a magnificent route runner, Stephen Hill is more polished and Clyde Gates is a burner. Roster cuts will be interesting at this position because Lehigh product Ryan Spadola (minus a fumble tonight) was productive and Ben Obomanu has a reputation for his special teams ability.

Speaking of special teams, Gates takes over Joe McKnight as the top kick return man. New York’s AFC representative brought in two veteran kickers — Billy Cundiff and Dan Carpenter — to challenge Nick Folk. Will the incumbent hang on?

But the biggest question remains. The situation at quarterback is unsettled. Mark Sanchez wasn’t perfect this summer, but he had a solid camp. Yet Sanchez is day-to-day with a shoulder injury. Rookie Geno Smith experienced plenty of ups and downs, suffering an ankle injury and also transitioning to a West Coast system that requires quick reads and progressions. Matt Simms had a hell of a summer, Greg McElroy has been slowed by a leg injury and even Graham Harrell joined the fray.

The Pewter Pirates are coming to town and they’re bringing No. 24 with them. After four exhibition contests Off Broadway, the Jets are back on the big stage next week

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...a-5de89d963958

Hall Of Fame
    Sources: Geno Smith likely to start

The New York Jets are leaving the quarterback job open for Geno Smith, and he may get an opportunity to claim it in Week 1.

With incumbent Mark Sanchez rehabbing a bruised joint in his throwing shoulder, the Jets likely will start Smith against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sept. 8, sources said Friday.

Sanchez is listed as day-to-day, but he could miss a few weeks, sources told ESPN's Ed Werder.

Coach Rex Ryan provided no update Friday on Sanchez's condition, but he dropped a few clues as to the organization's thinking. He said it would be "an assumption" to label Sanchez the ostensible starter, adding, "until there's an announcement, the competition is ongoing."

This was billed as a "fair and open" competition, but even though Sanchez outplayed Smith in the preseason, Ryan still doesn't feel comfortable in naming a starter. He wants to leave wiggle room, knowing he probably will open the season with Smith. If the rookie plays well, Ryan can leave him in the lineup without having to break a commitment to Sanchez.

Ryan acknowledged the competition could remain open into the season.

"I guess it's a possibility," he said. "When we feel good about it, we'll make that decision. Certainly we haven't put a timetable on it as far as naming a starting quarterback. When we feel [good] about that decision as an organization, we'll make it."

As of Friday, no decision had been made with regard to Week 1. Sanchez, who hadn't resumed throwing as of Thursday night, is scheduled to be examined over the weekend. By then, Ryan and general manager John Idzik will have a better handle on the situation.

Barring a dramatic recovery by Sanchez, the Jets will go into the season with a quarterback whose NFL résumé consists of only 69 preseason snaps -- roughly the equivalent of one game. And they weren't 69 good snaps.

Smith played poorly against the New York Giants, throwing three interceptions and taking an unnecessary safety. He missed two games, the first because of a sprained ankle. On Thursday night, Smith was rested against the Philadelphia Eagles because the Jets didn't want to get him hurt, knowing he might have to start the opener.

Ryan didn't sound thrilled by the prospect of starting a second-round rookie.

"He started out like gangbusters [in training camp] and, obviously, he had the ankle injury, so that set him back," Ryan said. "[He] got the game in against the Giants. Obviously, it was a very up and down performance. He had a good week of practice. We'll see where he is from there."

Sanchez completed 67 percent of his passes and compiled a 90.0 passer rating -- he called it his best camp ever -- but he committed three turnovers, conjuring up bad memories from the past two seasons. He was injured Saturday against the Giants when Ryan, in a controversial decision, played him in the fourth quarter behind the second-team line.

Statistically, the Jets' best quarterback was Matt Simms, who beat the Eagles with a 33-for-44, 285-yard outing. Of all his quarterbacks, Ryan gushed most about Simms.

"This young man has really improved now ... oh, my goodness," he said. "Clearly, he has arm talent to play in the league. Quite honestly, I don't think I've ever seen anybody make the improvements he's made."

Simms, who may have locked up the No. 3 job, isn't a consideration to start. He has no experience with the first-team offense and played against second- and third-stringers in the preseason.

> new-york-jets-geno-smith-likely-start-week-1-mark-sanchez-rehabs-sources-say

Hall Of Fame
    Rex Ryan admitted as much Friday: Since John Idzik became the Jets’ general manager in January, the tenor in Florham Park has centered on a single word -- competition.

Idzik’s mantra in retooling the team can be seen in the starting lineup. When the Jets begin the 2013 regular season, they will feature seven new starters on defense, two new starters along the offensive line, two more in the backfield and, most likely, a fresh face at quarterback. At Jets headquarters this preseason, personnel has turned over so quickly that the team’s equipment staff can’t clear out vacated lockers fast enough to keep up with the guy upstairs.

The Jets understood something like this would happen, even if Rex Ryan was retained as head coach following a rocky 6-10 season. Idzik’s intention is to haul the Jets back to the top of the AFC, and will do so as he sees fit. Though his public statements are infrequent, it is evident by the team’s moves thus far that Idzik is leaning on certain veteran additions at cut-rate prices and providing younger players an opportunity to step forward.

Kellen Winslow, once the NFL’s highest-paid tight end, will play a significant role in the offense playing on a one-year, $840,000 contract. Veterans such as Stephen Peterman were cut so that Vladimir Ducasse, a 2010 second-round pick, and rookie Brian Winters could compete to start at left guard. Ryan Spadola, an undrafted rookie from Howell, made the squad at wide receiver while Braylon Edwards, a 30-year-old veteran and strong locker room presence, could not survive his third stint with the team.

“You never want any of your guys or anybody that’s going to be playing out there to feel comfortable in that role,” Willie Colon, the Jets’ right guard, said. “You always want guys to feel like they’re on the edge and realize that the next guy behind them is just as capable.”

But while competition could be expected during camp and throughout four preseason games, the questions still lingering over the Jets as they embark today on Week 1 are surprising, even startling. Publicly, little has been resolved since players reported to camp in Cortland, N.Y., on July 25.

The key conundrum headed into Sunday afternoon’s game is the same issue that has hung over the Jets all offseason: Who will start at quarterback? Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith have jockeyed for the job, but Sanchez has not practiced since injuring his shoulder against the Giants Aug. 24 -- seemingly an opening for Smith.

Ryan has refrained from announcing a starter, but the Jets retained four quarterbacks -- Matt Simms and Graham Harrell also made the 53-man roster -- an indication that Sanchez won’t be healthy enough to play Sunday.

“I think there’s a lot of speculation out there on several topics, I’m sure,” Ryan said. “But again, only the people in the building know the (entire) situation.”

In the void created by Ryan’s vague language about his quarterbacks -- Ryan said a winner of the competition might not be named at all -- reports sprang over the weekend that the Jets brain trust has committed to Smith, April’s second-round draft pick. In his only start this preseason, Smith threw three interceptions and took a safety.

Other position battles are also unresolved. Ducasse tops Winters on the depth chart but Ryan said after Thursday’s preseason finale that the young linemen will continue to wrestle for the left guard job. At safety, a battle between Antonio Allen and Jaiquawn Jarrett is also ongoing. According to Ryan, the starter might be determined based on the week’s opponent.

Despite the uncertainty, some Jets feel the spirit of competition is a benefit for a team doubted by many outside the organization.

“I think that just builds depth, it builds a team chemistry and it builds a team fight when all guys are on alert and fighting for their jobs,” Colon said.

Jets players have avoided taking sides on the position battles still up in the air, and are eager to set the debate aside and start the season.

“I can’t wait until the bullets start flying and the wins and losses start to count,” Muhammad Wilkerson said.

Whether a detriment or benefit, the competitions that have framed the Jets thus far in 2013 have deflected the ultimate question hanging over the team this season: Will Ryan be around to embark on another season this time next year?

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...ns_linger.html

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    “I think that just builds depth, it builds a team chemistry and it builds a team fight when all guys are on alert and fighting for their jobs,” Colon said.

Jets players have avoided taking sides on the position battles still up in the air, and are eager to set the debate aside and start the season.

I can’t wait until the bullets start flying and the wins and losses start to count,” Muhammad Wilkerson said.

Whether a detriment or benefit, the competitions that have framed the Jets thus far in 2013 have deflected the ultimate question hanging over the team this season: Will Ryan be around to embark on another season this time next year?

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...ns_linger.html
    Me too. Can't wait for game 1. I hope Geno got all those INTs in game 3 out of his system.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Me too. Can't wait for game 1. I hope Geno got all those INTs in game 3 out of his system.
    i hope he did too !
    i think our coaching staff is going to keep our
    O game plan VERY basic.
    we are NOT going to ask geno to do alot...
    i believe we're gonna see alot of " ground & pound " ( geno handing off to our rb's ) .

cheers ~ ~

Jets Insider VIP
    i hope he did too !
    i think our coaching staff is going to keep our
    O game plan VERY basic.
    we are NOT going to ask geno to do alot...
    i believe we're gonna see alot of " ground & pound " ( geno handing off to our rb's ) .

cheers ~ ~
    The Bucs have a good pass rush. I think the play calling will help Geno. Running, screens,short passes in the first Quarter.

Hall Of Fame
    The Bucs have a good pass rush. I think the play calling will help Geno. Running, screens,short passes in the first Quarter.
    cool ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    Geno Smith aims for solid debut as NY Jets quarterback despite what history says

In the last 10 years, 13 rookie quarterbacks made their debut in Week 1 and most averaged more interceptions than touchdowns. Mark Sanchez was an exception, but he will watch from the bench as Geno Smith makes his debut.

History indicates Geno Smith is in for a rough Week 1 start against the Bucs.

If recent history is any real indication, Geno Smith will throw twice as many interceptions as he will touchdowns on Sunday, en route to a Jets loss to the Bucs. Smith, in all likelihood, will join the ranks of recent quarterbacks who make their first NFL start in Week 1 of their rookie season, and while many of those have gone on to have fine years, their debuts haven’t been so rosy.

In the past decade, 13 quarterbacks have made their first NFL starts in Week 1. The average stat-line from those starts was: 56.6% completion percentage, 214 yards, .77TDs and 1.54 INTs Five of the 13 quarterbacks won their starting debuts.

A counter-example, a rookie who played well in his Week 1 debut, was Mark Sanchez, who began his career in 2009 with a win over the Texans in which he threw for 272 yards with a TD and a pick. Five years later, Sanchez will likely watch from the bench as his presumed successor takes his first NFL snaps.

Clearly, it simply takes time to decipher a quarterback’s ability, whether they start strong or not. John Elway completed just one of eight pass attempts in his Week 1 debut. The Cowboys lost all 11 games Troy Aikman played in in his rookie season.

The Daily News reported Saturday that Rex Ryan and John Idzik were on board with starting Smith back before both quarterbacks got hurt, but regardless, Ryan has no choice but to roll Smith out there against Darrelle Revis & Co.

Ryan was asked last week what he would hope to see out of Smith if he played against the Eagles last Thursday. That didn’t happen — so the work Ryan wanted to see then will have to play out at MetLife on Sunday.

“You look for guys making the improvements, not making the same mistakes, putting the ball in front of receivers, those types of things that he needs to see (and) needs to recognize,” Ryan said, also bringing up Smith’s failure to realize that Justin Tuck dropped into coverage on the play when the defensive lineman picked off the rookie. “Tuck was an example out of that. That is maybe a little unusual, (but) we’re going to see a lot of those, obviously.”

If Smith can’t beat the odds, and is beaten by the Bucs, he won’t have long to recover and make adjustments: the Jets play the Patriots just four days later in New England.

MAC ON THE MOVE: Greg McElroy, who was cut by the Jets on Saturday, will fly Monday to join the Cincinnati Bengals practice squad, according to a source.

McElroy, who was a 2011 seventh-round draft pick, sent out a message via Twitter thanking the Jets. . . . The Jets made three waiver claims: RB Alex Green from the Packers, T Ben Ijalana from the Colts and LB Scott Soloman from the Titans. The team released RB Kahlil Bell and LB Danny Lansanah and placed LB Josh Mauga (back) on IR.

WR Michael Campbell, LB Troy Davis, DT Tevita Finau, S Rontez Miles, TE Chris Pantale, T J.B. Shugarts and C Dalton Freeman were added to the practice squad. Lansanah, who impressed throughout training camp and the preseason, would make sense to fill the final practice squad spot, assuming he clears waivers.

> http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1443301

All League
    The Bucs dont have a good pass rush. Still screens and short passes would be good for his confidence first game..

Buccaneers want improved pass rush
    September, 2, 2013
    Sep 21:49PM ETBy Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com Recommend0Tweet6Comments0EmailPrintTAMPA, Fla. -- Perhaps the biggest question mark remaining for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers is their pass rush.

It wasn’t very good last year and it’s not like the Bucs brought in any marquee players in the offseason. But the Bucs can’t afford to have a pass rush similar to last year’s.

"That’s not really an option," defensive end Adrian Clayborn said. "We have to get the pass rush going. The coaches expect it of us and we expect it of ourselves."

Clayborn might be the closest thing the Bucs have to an established pass-rusher. He had 7.5 sacks as a rookie in 2011. But Clayborn missed most of last season with an injury. When the Bucs let last year’s leading sacker, Michael Bennett, depart as a free agent, they gambled that Clayborn would be healthy and that third-year defensive end Da'Quan Bowers would emerge as more than a situational player.

Clayborn appears to be healthy. But Bowers remains a big question mark. Coach Greg Schiano has said several times that he would like to see Bowers play at a higher level more consistently. It’s unclear if Bowers even will be a starter. Daniel Te’o-Nesheim was working with the first team early in camp and the newly-acquired Trevor Scott has made a positive impression.

The Bucs also have Pro Bowl defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, who can provide a pass rush from the interior. But Clayborn said the addition of cornerback Darrelle Revis and safety Dashon Goldson will have an impact, too.

“We have a guy like Revis and a guy like Goldson, that helps the rush out," Clayborn said. “It makes a guy pump fake or bring the ball down for a second, that’s when you get those coverage sacks."

Clayborn said it's up to the Bucs to silence the critics of the pass rush.

"We haven’t rushed that good in the past so they have reason to," Clayborn said. "We just have to prove them wrong."

Jets Insider VIP
    My bad, thanks.

Hall Of Fame
    Darrelle Revis likely will make his debut for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers against the star cornerback's old team, the New York Jets.

Although there's been no official announcement, the three-time All-Pro has been practicing without any reported setbacks and teammates are confident Revis will start Sunday's season opener.

"We're going to have all our pieces, finally, and it should be good," defensive end Adrian Clayborn said Monday. "We'll see."

Revis is recovering from knee surgery that sidelined him most of last season with the Jets. The Bucs gradually increased his workload in practice during training camp, however the seventh-year pro did not see any game action during the preseason.

Coach Greg Schiano is not concerned.

The objective since late April, when Revis was acquired in exchange for the 13th overall pick in the draft, has been to not rush the rehabilitation process in hopes of having him ready to face his old team.

"As long as there are no setbacks" that remains the plan, Schiano said.

Revis and All-Pro safety Dashon Goldson were brought in this offseason to bolster a secondary that nearly set a NFL record for passing yards allowed in 2012. Revis was given a new six-year, $96 million contract, and Goldson received a five-year, $41.25 deal in free agency after helping San Francisco reach the Super Bowl last season.

Rookie Johnthan Banks, a second-round draft pick competing for the cornerback job on the side opposite Revis, feels the secondary has played together enough in practice to be effective as a unit in the opener.

"We've been together since OTAs and we know what Revis can do," Banks said. "He's been practicing with us the past two weeks. We pretty much know each other. It will grow as the season goes."

The Bucs reconvened for practice Monday after having the weekend off. Schiano said it's too early to tell if another projected starter, guard Carl Nicks, will play against the Jets.

Nicks missed the final nine games of last season and is recovering from surgery on his left big toe. His comeback stalled last month when he was diagnosed as having a MRSA infection in a blister on the side of his left foot. He hasn't practiced since.

Like Revis, Nicks did not play a down during the preseason.

The Bucs are exploring a number of different options, including the prospect of moving center Jeremy Zuttah to left guard, if Nicks is out. Tackle Gabe Carimi and backup center Ted Larsen are other possibilities.

"We have guys on our roster, we'll just choose one of them. They all can play guard," Schiano said

> http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/09/0...#storylink=cpy

Hall Of Fame
    QBs: Some Early Study on the Buccaneers

Transcript of Mark Sanchez's and Geno Smith's news conferences in the locker room following the Jets' Monday afternoon practice at the Atlantic Health Training Center:
    QB GENO SMITH
    On if he has been told if he will start on Sunday…
    No, not yet. It’s only Monday so we’ll see as the days go by.
    On how he prepared over the weekend…
    This weekend was pretty simple. I had some time off. I came in, got treatment, did little things to get myself better for the week. Other than that, I had some time off, tried to relax a little bit, kind of tone down. I’ve been going really hard throughout camp so I just had some time off.
    On if the ankle is closer to 100 percent…
    Getting there. It’s getting better. I’ve been treating it daily. Every single day it’s felt better. I’m able to do a lot more now than I was able to do then. It’s just constantly getting better and it’s something that I’ll continue to look at and continue to work at.
    On if he feels ready to start…
    Yes, sir. I’ve been preparing extremely hard and I think I’ve gotten a lot better. Like I said, this is only the beginning. I’ve got a lot to learn and I’m preparing for everything that comes my way. If my chance is Sunday, I’m going to go out there with the intent to lead my team to victory and that’s just the way it is. I’m always going to play like that, be aggressive. I’m never going to hesitate, never going to shy away from anything, and just go out there and play ball.
    On his progression throughout the preseason…
    I think it went well from a standpoint of just tremendous growth mentally, the physical things that come along as you continue to rep it and get better at it on the practice field. Coach [David] Lee does a great job at constantly drilling us and making sure that my footwork, where my eyes are, all of that stuff is right on point. But mentally I feel a lot better in the offense. I’m able to get us in and out of plays, I’m able to check into different protections, and that’s something that I couldn’t do when I first got here. It’s all a part of the progression. It’s only going to get better as long as I continue to study.
    On if he has been pleased with the feedback from the coaching staff…
    Yeah, it’s honest. We’re all in this thing together. I’m my own biggest critic but I do have coaches who stay on me daily. I respect that. They’re honest and they always give it to us the way that it should be, which is the absolute honest response that you need and it’s only going to help us get better as players.
    On his relationship with coordinator Marty Mornhinweg…
    We have a great relationship. Marty’s a guy who I respect a lot. He’s well respected in the NFL, one of the best OCs out there. He’s a great guy to learn from and he’s coached a number of tremendous quarterbacks, some guys that hopefully I can be mentioned amongst their names. Like I said, I have a tremendous amount of respect for him and he’s my coach and I listen to him and take heed to every single thing he says.
    On his biggest strength and weakness…
    I don’t want to put too much emphasis on strengths and weaknesses. I think my game as a whole is something that’s steadily improving. Like I said, it’s only going to get better. I think right now, at the point that I’m at, I’m in a pretty good spot. I have a lot of opportunity here to showcase my talents and we’ll be able to evaluate strengths and weaknesses based on my play in the games.
    On if he has studied Tampa Bay on game video from this preseason or from last season…
    Both. I watched last year’s tape, some of the final games they played in which were a lot of close games, some NFC games. They were playing some spread teams with some similar looks to what we have. I also watched the preseason. That’s pretty much the gist of it, just watched every single thing I could get my hands on.
    On if his teammates have given him tips on facing Darrelle Revis…
    We all know about Revis. Basically from talking to Mark [Sanchez], talking to our personnel guys around here. If you talk to anyone in this locker room, they’ll let you know when healthy he's one of the best if not the best corner in the game. He’s the guy you definitely have to pay attention to on the field.
    On if he watched any Jets defensive video of Revis…
    I mean, I don’t think it’s necessary. Maybe I will, maybe I won’t. You pretty much get the idea of what kind of player he is based on his reputation.
    On when he started watching video on the Buccaneers…
    Some time last week, about when I got the word that I wouldn’t be playing in the final preseason game. I took it upon myself to go ahead and get some early studying in.
    On if he started studying the Buccaneers by himself…
    Yeah, I got in by myself. But I do have resources around here that I lean on, Coach Lee, Mornhinweg, even the media guys, whoever. Anybody that I can get an honest response out of that can help me leading up to this game.
    On what makes him think he is ready to start…
    Well, I’ve been preparing. Physically I think I’ve always been ready. I think I have some things which is the reason why they drafted me here, to bring some of that stuff to the table. But I think mentally I’ve grown a lot. My grasp of the offense is to the point where I know I can get out there and execute and be out there and leading this offense and leading this team. That’s something that’s going to continue to grow, as I stated. At this point I’m ready for it.
    On the biggest lesson he learned from the Giants game…
    A number of lessons. The biggest one I’ll say is some big plays are going to be there but you’ve got to minimize the mistakes, especially with the defense like the one that we have, one of the best, I think, in the league. Minimizing mistakes but still being aggressive. I’m a naturally aggressive player and that’s one of the reasons why they like me here. As long as I continue to be aggressive while minimizing mistakes, not putting us in terrible situations, not turning the ball over, all of those key things, we’ll be fine.
    On how much better he feels throwing the football with a healthier ankle…
    It’s night and day. Leading up into the injury I was spinning the ball pretty good and then I got injured. You can never really tell how much it affects you until you don’t have it anymore. That drive I always had, and it’s something that’s natural. About a couple practices ago I stepped out on the field and was able to drive it again and the ball is flying out of my hands again and it just felt extremely great to have that back and it also builds the confidence when you’re out there throwing the ball.
    On if he has gained the confidence of those around him…
    I believe so. When I’m in the huddle, when I step on the practice field, when I come in this building, guys are greeting me. I had Antwan [Barnes], who texted me and was all happy-go-lucky and telling me how much he was excited for me and all of those things. I think the guys around here respect the fact that I just work hard. I’m never going to let anything outside of this building affect me. I don’t pay attention to anything else besides my teammates and my coaches.
    On how he moved past the Giants game…
    Well, it’s easy to move past a game like that. As a quarterback you’ve got to have a short memory. You can’t let what happens in the past affect you in the future. I took it as a learning experience, another steppingstone in my career, and was able to move on from it pretty easily.
    On if he has been told he will start Sunday…
    Not yet.
    On if he knows he will start based on Sanchez’s injury…
    Mark’s status, I’m not 100 percent sure on, but I’ll always prepare as a starter and that’s kind of the way I’m going to go about things here. We’ll find out in a couple days. I think Mark’s status is very uncertain right now but we’ll see.
    QB MARK SANCHEZ
    On how he is feeling…
    I’m feeling better each day, just keep rehabbing and hopefully I’ll be back soon.
    On the Jets signing Brady Quinn…
    I know that they just got rid of Greg [McElroy], he went to Cincinnati. I don’t know, just keeping a veteran guy around as an emergency guy, a guy who’s played quite a bit. Hopefully he’ll help us.
    On if he is still day-to-day opposed to week-to-week…
    Same.
    On if he is still aiming to start on Sunday…
    I’m trying, I’m trying. We’ll make a good push this week and see where I’m at. You just want to take this thing slow, take it the right way, make the right progression without reinjuring yourself.
    On what he was able to do in practice…
    I’m not going to get into the rehab process or what stage we’re at. I just know it's feeling better every day.
    On if he thinks he could be out for a month…
    I don’t know. It’s day to day
    On if he is able to throw…
    I’m not going to get into the rehab process, just know it’s getting better every day
    On if he is worried about losing his roster spot…
    No, I don’t really think about that. I just think about getting out on the field as soon as possible.
    On his frustration level…
    You never want to be injured, especially when things are going well, things are heading in the right direction. It’s just too bad that had to happen.
    On if he needs a certain number of throws or practice days to be game-ready …
    I can’t really speak to that. I’m just taking it day to day and doing everything I possibly can to get back on to the field.
    On if he ever thinks about getting a fresh start somewhere else…
    No. I don’t really think about that. I just think about getting back on the field as soon as I can and helping this team.
    On if he has been preparing for Sunday’s game against Tampa Bay…
    Of course, we started watching film last week as soon as that last game was over. It’s a good group, a really good group, a tough defensive front. They really improved their defensive backs and their back end there. It’s going to be fun to see Darrelle [Revis] and all those guys playing.
    On if he has shared his insight about Revis to his teammates…
    Everything you know about the guy, you try and pass around to the other guys and make sure they know. But a lot of them have been here and played against him. We’ll be as best prepared as we can. We know that he’s one of the best in the league, if not the best. If anybody can come back strong, it’s him.
    On if Revis has a weakness that they can try to exploit…
    I don’t know. He’s one of the best I’ve ever seen. Like I said, he came back from a hamstring injury pretty strong. He’s one of those guys that’s just such a competitor. He’ll will his way back and will his way to make plays like he always has. He’s never going to lose his instincts — he’s one of the most instinctual players in the game. He’s good. They have [William] Gholston, they have [Mark] Barron, who looked pretty good last year as a rookie and now he’s going into his second year, so now he’s going to be more comfortable. It’s a good group.
    On if he is concerned he is losing the starting job due to his injury…
    No, not really. I've just got to come back as soon as possible and keep rehabbing.
    On if he feels like he is in limbo…
    Not really. I feel like I’m rehabbing.
    On if he has a timetable in his head for when he will be back on the field…
    It’s the same thing I’m telling you, day to day. I’m trying to get back every day.
    On what the downside is to revealing if he is able to throw…
    I don’t know. I’m not really getting into it.
    On what his pain level is…
    I guess I’ll just say its feeling better every day. Every day, with more and more time, it gets better and better.
    On if his injury is being measured by how he feels or with a medical diagnosis…
    We’ll let you know as soon as we can.
    On if he has been told not to reveal details about his injury…
    I’m not going to get into any of that, any of the rehab stuff, what the injury is. I just told you I’ll try to be back every day.
    On how much he is in control of the pace of his rehab…
    Listen, I trust the trainers, I trust our doctors, I trust knowing my body. We’ll take all of those things into account, what’s best for me, what’s best for the team and move forward at a day-to-day pace.
    On if it would be frustrating to lose the starting job due to his injury…
    There’s nothing I can do about it. I've just got to keep rehabbing and try to come back as soon as possible.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...7-18111e4567a8

Hall Of Fame
    Week one of the NFL season is just about here, finally. The Jets return to action this weekend against the Tampa Bay Bucs from Met Life Stadium. The road to MetLife Stadium begins. Saturday morning, we will have a full game preview from our good buddy JETSerious. Today, I have some early thoughts on the upcoming centering on guy. This player is the Tampa lead running back, and stopping him will be one of the major keys to an opening day win.
    That player is Doug Martin.
    Martin took the league and his team by storm in 2012, earning the starting RB job from LaGarrette Blount. He made the use of all of his opportunities, rushing the ball 319 times for 1,454 yards, 11 TDs, and 4.6 average yards per carry. Here are some highlights of Martin from last year:

Doug Martin is the type of running back that has given the Jets fits in the past. He has a combination of power and speed that makes life tough for the Jets, as it has done already with the likes of Darren McFadden.
    Martin can run around you, or go through you. He has a terrific burst of speed, is adept with the “stiff arm”, and has great balance. Doug makes people miss, and doesn’t slow down after contact, with the ability to rack up yardage after contact. Martin is tough.
    The big test will be on the Jets’ defensive front seven. First will be on their ability to tackle. Look at the tape. If you get your hands on this guy, you had better wrap him up and bring him down, or he is going to break out and put up many extra yards on you. His deft balance allows him to rebound from hits as well as anyone in this league. The ability to tackle will be under scrutiny on Sunday. Finish this guy off when you get to him or he is going to burn you.
    The secondary key to stopping Martin is one that the Jets’ have had difficulty with over the past couple of years. That is the ability to keep assignments and contain on the outside. Too often have the Jets’ defenders been sucked into the middle of the offense, leaving running lanes on the outside for speed backs. Allow this to happen and Doug Martin will have his way with the Jets’ defense.
    This will be a huge test for guys on the outside, such as Quinton Coples, Calvin Pace and Garrett McIntyre. These guys, among others, must keep their assignments on the outside in order to limit Martin’s explosiveness. It could be a long afternoon if they don’t.
    What do you think are some of the keys to the game on Sunday?

> http://thejetpress.com/2013/09/03/ea...s-doug-martin/

Hall Of Fame
    Inside Edge : Buccaneers-Jets

video :

> http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9637426

Hall Of Fame
    Five nuggets of knowledge about Sunday’s matchup between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and New York Jets :

Since leading the Bucs to a 10-6 record in 2010, quarterback Josh Freeman is 11-20 as a starter with 39 interceptions.

Tampa Bay’s secondary was historically bad last season. The Bucs allowed an average of 297.4 passing yards per game. Only the 2011 Green Bay Packers allowed more yards (299.8). But Tampa Bay went to great extremes to correct the flaws in the defensive backfield. They traded for cornerback Darrelle Revis, signed safety Dashon Goldson and drafted cornerback Johnthan Banks.

Let’s see if Tampa Bay receiver Mike Williams can continue the hot streak he was on at the end of last season. Williams had a touchdown catch in four of the final five games and that helped earn him a large contract extension.

Including quarterback Geno Smith, the Jets are expected to start five rookies Sunday. According to Elias Sports Bureau, the last time the Jets started five rookies in a season opener was in 1976.

The storyline of Revis going against his old team has been told plenty of times this week, but there’s one statistic that’s worth revisiting. Over the past two seasons, the Jets allowed 15 passing touchdowns and had 23 interceptions when Revis was on the field. When Revis wasn’t on the field, the Jets allowed 20 touchdown passes and came up with only seven interceptions.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/tampa-bay-bu...by-the-numbers

Hall Of Fame
    ... Friday, Sept. 6
    Friday will become “Green & White Friday” as the Jets ask fans to wear their best Jets gear or green and white to work, school, or anywhere around town! To help kick off the workday, the Jets are greeting fans on their Friday morning commute at major transportation hubs around Manhattan. Starting on Monday, Sept. 2, clues to the specific locations will be announced on Jets social media. From 7:30–9 a.m., lucky fans who are dressed in Jets gear have a chance to win a pair of tickets to the home opener. Plus, members of the Jets Flight Crew will be taking photos with fans, while Jets Green Team members will be on site with giveaways, including Jets eye black and Dunkin’ Donuts gift cards.
    Also on Friday, tune in to ESPN New York 98.7 FM live at MetLife Stadium from 6-10 a.m. as Mike & Mike kick off the NFL season inside the stadium's Toyota Coaches Club. Season ticket holders interested in attending this event should contact their account representative. Space is limited.
    Then on Friday night, Kickoff Week celebrations continue across the river in downtown Hoboken, N.J., outside at Pier A Park. Fans can come kick off the home opener weekend after work from 5:30–8:30 p.m. The night will feature entertainment hosted by Joe Pardavila from 95.5 WPLJ with live band “Ready in 10,” meet and greet with Jets alumnus wide receiver Wesley Walker, No. 85, and performances by the Flight Crew Cheerleaders and Jets Aviators Drumline. Food Truck City will offer a variety of concessions from local vendors and the Bud Light beer garden will be open for guests 21 and older. Plus, for kids Jets Fest inflatable rides will be open and the Liberty Science Center will have a fun exhibit.
    The Jets are giving away eye black and foam fingers and conducting a raffle for great prizes, including pairs of tickets to the home opener, family four-pack tickets to the Liberty Science Center, and gift certificates to local Hoboken restaurants and bars. Once the entertainment winds down, fans are encouraged to continue the celebrations at local restaurants and bars in Hoboken — fans wearing their Jets gear or a bracelet from the event can take advantage of drink specials. Registration for the Fan Fest at Pier A Park is free but tickets are required.
    In addition, Carlo’s Bakery in Hoboken is designing a Jets kickoff cake featuring the Jets kicking off, the Flight Crew supporting the team, and fans in the stands cheering them on. The cake will be featured at the Hoboken event as well as on gameday so fans and season ticket holders can see their masterpiece!
    Saturday, Sept. 7
    To close out the festivities, the Jets are calling all runners to MetLife Stadium on Saturday for the Jets Back to Football 5K Run. The race will support the Alliance for Lupus Research and runners will have the opportunity to finish their run on the 50-yard line and receive an official performance race T-shirt and race medal. Plus, runners will enjoy a post-race tailgate party with live entertainment on the plaza, including a meet & greet with members of the Jets Flight Crew. Fans can sign up at nflrunseries.com/jets/register.
    Times of events may be subject to change, and in case of inclement weather events may be canceled. A full list of events and detailed information on 2013 Kickoff Week can be found at newyorkjets.com/kickoff.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...6-0eb231eb8392

Hall Of Fame
    Week 1 Prediction: Jets vs. Buccaneers

The New York Jets open the season vs. the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at home with rookie Geno Smith under center. For more coverage, visit:
    ESPN New York ... on Twitter | Clubhouse | Schedule | Roster | Standings

ANALYST

PREDICTION

WINNER

Rich
    Cimini

BUCCANEERS 24, JETS 20
    The Jets have more talent than people realize, but Smith will make a few costly mistakes and that'll be the difference in the game.

Ian
    O'Connor

BUCCANEERS 20, JETS 13
    Smith will have his moments, but Darrelle Revis will get a homecoming pick (and maybe a pick-six) in what should be a fairly ugly game.

Ohm
    Youngmisuk

BUCCANEERS 20, JETS 10
    Revis and Co. will feast on a rookie QB and the Jets' offense will have a tough time supporting Rex Ryan's defense.

Kieran
    Darcy

BUCCANEERS 20, JETS 6
    The defense will keep Gang Green in the game, but rookie Smith simply isnt ready for Revis and Co.

Stephen A.
    Smith

BUCCANEERS 24, JETS 13
    As much as I'm rooting for Smith, he's still a rookie going up against an improved defense with Revis in the lineup. I can't see a Jets' victory in this one. Just can't.

Ryan
    Ruocco

BUCCANEERS 23, JETS 10
    Tampa's secondary is fierce -- especially with Revis in the fold now. That against a rookie QB in his first start will prove too much for Gang Green to handle.

Don
    La Greca

JETS 14, BUCCANEERS 13
    Geno will do just enough to squeak by and the defense will shine.

Michael
    Kay

BUCCANEERS 17, JETS 7
    The Tampa Bay defense is very good. I just don't know how Jets will be able to score.

Dave
    Rothenberg

BUCCANEERS 24, JETS 13
    Tampa Bay has too much for Gang Green. The Jets offense will struggle mightily.

Robin
    Lundberg

JETS 24, BUCCANEERS 20
    The Jets have been made fun of too much for them not to surprise at least once.

Bill
    Daughtry

BUCCANEERS 21, JETS 7
    Geno could show more against a lesser defense. The Bucs D is a lot more than just Revis.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...-vs-buccaneers

Hall Of Fame
    The New York Jets open the fifth season of the Rex Ryan era Sunday against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at MetLife Stadium (1 p.m. ET). A look at the top storylines :

1. There they go again: For the second time in five years, the Jets will start a season with a rookie quarterback -- this time Geno Smith. (If you can't name the other, you'd best move on.) The last time a team trotted out two rookie quarterbacks in a five-year span was 1977-78, when the Bucs started Randy Hedberg and Doug Williams in back-to-back years, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.This is a tough spot for Smith, who hasn't played in two weeks and took only 69 preseason snaps. He will face a rebuilt pass defense (ranked No. 32 last year) that includes cornerback Darrelle Revis and safety Dashon Goldson. The weak links in the secondary are cornerbacks Johnthan Banks, a rookie, and Leonard Johnson, who covers the slot in nickel situations. There will be hiccups for Smith, no doubt. How he handles them will determine success or failure. He can expect to see some exotic looks from the Bucs, so he'll have to think on his feet. Smith doesn't have to be great. The Jets can win if he's average, but they have no chance if he duplicates his performance of the preseason loss to the Giants.Marty Mornhinweg, foreground, may look to trickery to boost the Jets' chances versus Tampa.

2. Trick it up: The Jets have to protect Smith with a strong running game. Unfortunately for them, they'll be facing the top-ranked run defense from last season. The Bucs are led by defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, who could be a nightmare for left guard Vladimir Ducasse. Look for offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg to use deception in an attempt to run the ball. Unlike predecessor Tony Sparano, Mornhinweg won't be shy about breaking out the Wildcat, using Bilal Powell and Jeremy Kerley.You also could see the Pistol formation, a version of the shotgun in which a running back lines up directly behind the quarterback. That creates more play-action opportunities. The screen pass will be huge because it will allow the Jets to slow down the Bucs' aggressive front seven, which will be salivating at the prospect of devouring Smith.

3. Club Dread, an island adventure: Head coach Rex Ryan says the Jets won't make a concerted effort to attack Revis even though he's playing for the first time after major knee surgery. Do we believe him? Revis might not be Revis -- not yet, anyway -- but you get the impression the Jets still are deathly afraid of their former star. The receivers were told to place an extra emphasis on not tipping routes. If there's a tell, Revis will jump the route, and then you're looking at a potential interception.What the Jets should do is test Revis against the run. Unlike many cornerbacks, he's always been aggressive in run support. Will he be tentative because of his surgically repaired knee? Don't be surprised if they call a power sweep on the first series.

4. Here comes the blitz: You might have heard, but Ryan is running the defense again and he's promising to bring back that 2009 mentality, meaning an array of pressure schemes. He felt the Jets got too vanilla and too passive last season, and he wants to restore the attacking style. Bucs quarterback Josh Freeman is an inviting first target. He's interception-prone (39 over the last two seasons), and he starts hearing footsteps if you get to him early. To play that way, New York needs solid cornerback play from Dee Milliner, one of four rookies in the starting lineup. He missed time with an Achilles' injury and could be in for a rough debut.

5. Their least-favorite Martin: The top priority is containing running Doug Martin, who has the ability to wreck the game. The Jets see him as another Ray Rice, a double threat (1,926 yards from scrimmage last season) that can exploit them on the perimeter as a runner and receiver. Covering backs is an issue. In the preseason, linebackers David Harris and DeMario Davis allowed nine receptions for 92 yards, according to ProFootballFocus. This could be a big problem. Look for the Bucs to attack the edges, especially when outside linebacker Garrett McIntyre is in the base.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...4-jets-vs-bucs

Hall Of Fame
    It will be the shock of the new for the Jets and their fans at MetLife Stadium on Sunday against Tampa Bay. Geno Smith will become only the second rookie QB to start on opening day in franchise history. All seven draft choices could play, three or four should start. Head coach Rex Ryan has three new coordinators — OC Marty Mornhinweg, DC Dennis Thurman and STC Ben Kotwica — orchestrating all the parts, young as well as experienced. First-time general manager John Idzik will observe from pressbox level.But will it be a good kind of shock or an unpleasant jolt? Time will tell, but here are 10 things to look for before the 1 p.m. ET kickoff and during the first game of the new season.

1. Geno vs. the Blitz — Smith expects the Buccaneers to "try and rattle my cage." So does Mornhinweg: "Certainly it's in their system to blitz. It's a great opportunity, a challenge for our line, and the tight ends and backs and even the receivers. Ultimately the quarterback is responsible for the blitz." So of all the plates Geno will have spinning, he'll have to add blitz awareness to another pool cue. But will Smith get rattled by the pressure? "No," he said simply. We'll all be waiting to see if that's the case.

2. The Wilk Shake — Geno's not yet the face of the franchise. Neither is DE Muhammad Wilkerson, but as Rex said: "Marquee guy? Maybe we don't have one ... but I think we do in Mo." Wilkerson had an eye-popping second half of last season and he wants to pick up where he left off. Watch No. 98's work vs. the right side of the Tampa OL — C Jeremy Zuttah, G Davin Joseph and 6'9" T Demar Dotson — to see if and when Mo starts to make his presence felt.

3. Tone vs. Island? — That would almost be worth the price of admission: Santonio Holmes, lost for the season with his foot injury last year, vs. Revis, who left one game earlier with his knee tear. Neither playmaker played this preseason, and both left some doubt this week that they'd be ready to go at game speed Sunday. But look to see if No. 10 in green and white (listed today as questionable for the game) and No. 24, now in red and pewter (probable), are involved in pregame warmups. That'll be the first sign they could be jousting during the game.

4. Defense's 1A and 1B — First draft pick Dee Milliner has been battling lower-leg tightness but he's listed as probable to get the start at CB. Thurman said: "Are we expecting them to throw balls his way? We sure are." Sheldon Richardson, who also arrived in the first round, with the pick the Jets got from the Bucs in the Revis trade, is also expected to start, but DT said about his frisky DT: "He did pretty well in the preseason, but regular season is something else." To paraphrase Thurman this week, we'll see if they're up to the task, but we think they are.

5. Count the Rooks — Three rookies definitely are lined up to start vs. the Bucs — Milliner, Richardson and Smith. A fourth could also get the nod if we open with seventh-rounder FB Tommy Bohanon in the formation. The last time the Jets started four rookies in a season opener was 1979 vs. the Browns, with Marty Lyons at DE, Stan Blinka at MLB, Donald Dykes at RCB and Eric Cunningham at RG for the ailing Dan Alexander.

6. Defending Doug — Only three players rushed for 1,000 yards over a 10-week period last season — the Vikings' Adrian Peterson (multiple times), the Seahawks' Marshawn Lynch and the Bucs' Doug Martin. Martin's 1,926 yards from scrimmage were second best in Tampa history to James Wilder in '84. Will the fact that he had just three preseason carries mean he'll be a little tentative Sunday? The Jets' front seven can't wait to find out or they'll be looking at the back of No. 22's jersey. Swarm! Swarm! Swarm!

7. Folk Hero — Fresh off of prevailing over two veterans this preseason in Billy Cundiff and Dan Carpenter, Nick Folk is ready for his fourth opener as the Jets' kicker. Watch for Folk to be sharp — in his first three openers he didn't miss a placement (7-for-7 FGs, 9-for-9 PATs). And his openers started him on streaks of hitting his first 11 field goal tries in both '11 — setting the franchise record for most without a miss from the start of a season — and last year — tying his one-year-old mark.

8. Malone's Big Leg — Kotwica notes field position will be ultra-important for these Jets, which means Robert Malone must be zoned in with his drop-punt pooches, which he was in the preseason. But Coach K also says, "Robert's striking the ball as well as I've seen him." The occasions will come when Malone can air it out, as he did last year in becoming the first Jets punter to hit at least one 50-yard kick in every game since 16-game schedules began in 1978.

9. The Series So Far — As the gold ads remind us, past performance is no guarantee of future results. That said, the Jets have dominated the Buccaneers in their handful of meetings. Their .900 winning percentage (9-1) vs. TB is their best vs. any NFL opponent. The only foes the Jets have never lost to at home are the Bucs (6-0), Vikes (5-0) and Panthers (2-0). A win continues these trends, a loss results in new trends in the rivalry and much gnashing of teeth.

10. Rex Redux — Ryan is well aware of the outside critics of his team, but, perhaps more quietly than in the past yet just as forcefully, he advises that this version of the New York Jets is better than a lot of people think. "It’s very similar to my first year when I got here, 2009," the coach said Thursday of his first AFC Championship Game unit. "That was a close group, a team that persevered a great deal. There’s going to be bumps in the road along the way, but when you have a team with that kind of resolve like we had in 2009, you can do some special things." The most special thing the Jets can do Sunday is to achieve liftoff with their first win of '13.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...1-238d6f5febef

Jets Insider VIP
    It will be the shock of the new for the Jets and their fans at MetLife Stadium on Sunday against Tampa Bay. Geno Smith will become only the second rookie QB to start on opening day in franchise history. All seven draft choices could play, three or four should start. Head coach Rex Ryan has three new coordinators — OC Marty Mornhinweg, DC Dennis Thurman and STC Ben Kotwica — orchestrating all the parts, young as well as experienced. First-time general manager John Idzik will observe from pressbox level.But will it be a good kind of shock or an unpleasant jolt? Time will tell, but here are 10 things to look for before the 1 p.m. ET kickoff and during the first game of the new season.

1. Geno vs. the Blitz — Smith expects the Buccaneers to "try and rattle my cage." So does Mornhinweg: "Certainly it's in their system to blitz. It's a great opportunity, a challenge for our line, and the tight ends and backs and even the receivers. Ultimately the quarterback is responsible for the blitz." So of all the plates Geno will have spinning, he'll have to add blitz awareness to another pool cue. But will Smith get rattled by the pressure? "No," he said simply. We'll all be waiting to see if that's the case.

2. The Wilk Shake — Geno's not yet the face of the franchise. Neither is DE Muhammad Wilkerson, but as Rex said: "Marquee guy? Maybe we don't have one ... but I think we do in Mo." Wilkerson had an eye-popping second half of last season and he wants to pick up where he left off. Watch No. 98's work vs. the right side of the Tampa OL — C Jeremy Zuttah, G Davin Joseph and 6'9" T Demar Dotson — to see if and when Mo starts to make his presence felt.

3. Tone vs. Island? — That would almost be worth the price of admission: Santonio Holmes, lost for the season with his foot injury last year, vs. Revis, who left one game earlier with his knee tear. Neither playmaker played this preseason, and both left some doubt this week that they'd be ready to go at game speed Sunday. But look to see if No. 10 in green and white (listed today as questionable for the game) and No. 24, now in red and pewter (probable), are involved in pregame warmups. That'll be the first sign they could be jousting during the game.

4. Defense's 1A and 1B — First draft pick Dee Milliner has been battling lower-leg tightness but he's listed as probable to get the start at CB. Thurman said: "Are we expecting them to throw balls his way? We sure are." Sheldon Richardson, who also arrived in the first round, with the pick the Jets got from the Bucs in the Revis trade, is also expected to start, but DT said about his frisky DT: "He did pretty well in the preseason, but regular season is something else." To paraphrase Thurman this week, we'll see if they're up to the task, but we think they are.

5. Count the Rooks — Three rookies definitely are lined up to start vs. the Bucs — Milliner, Richardson and Smith. A fourth could also get the nod if we open with seventh-rounder FB Tommy Bohanon in the formation. The last time the Jets started four rookies in a season opener was 1979 vs. the Browns, with Marty Lyons at DE, Stan Blinka at MLB, Donald Dykes at RCB and Eric Cunningham at RG for the ailing Dan Alexander.

6. Defending Doug — Only three players rushed for 1,000 yards over a 10-week period last season — the Vikings' Adrian Peterson (multiple times), the Seahawks' Marshawn Lynch and the Bucs' Doug Martin. Martin's 1,926 yards from scrimmage were second best in Tampa history to James Wilder in '84. Will the fact that he had just three preseason carries mean he'll be a little tentative Sunday? The Jets' front seven can't wait to find out or they'll be looking at the back of No. 22's jersey. Swarm! Swarm! Swarm!

7. Folk Hero — Fresh off of prevailing over two veterans this preseason in Billy Cundiff and Dan Carpenter, Nick Folk is ready for his fourth opener as the Jets' kicker. Watch for Folk to be sharp — in his first three openers he didn't miss a placement (7-for-7 FGs, 9-for-9 PATs). And his openers started him on streaks of hitting his first 11 field goal tries in both '11 — setting the franchise record for most without a miss from the start of a season — and last year — tying his one-year-old mark.

8. Malone's Big Leg — Kotwica notes field position will be ultra-important for these Jets, which means Robert Malone must be zoned in with his drop-punt pooches, which he was in the preseason. But Coach K also says, "Robert's striking the ball as well as I've seen him." The occasions will come when Malone can air it out, as he did last year in becoming the first Jets punter to hit at least one 50-yard kick in every game since 16-game schedules began in 1978.

9. The Series So Far — As the gold ads remind us, past performance is no guarantee of future results. That said, the Jets have dominated the Buccaneers in their handful of meetings. Their .900 winning percentage (9-1) vs. TB is their best vs. any NFL opponent. The only foes the Jets have never lost to at home are the Bucs (6-0), Vikes (5-0) and Panthers (2-0). A win continues these trends, a loss results in new trends in the rivalry and much gnashing of teeth.

10. Rex Redux — Ryan is well aware of the outside critics of his team, but, perhaps more quietly than in the past yet just as forcefully, he advises that this version of the New York Jets is better than a lot of people think. "It’s very similar to my first year when I got here, 2009," the coach said Thursday of his first AFC Championship Game unit. "That was a close group, a team that persevered a great deal. There’s going to be bumps in the road along the way, but when you have a team with that kind of resolve like we had in 2009, you can do some special things." The most special thing the Jets can do Sunday is to achieve liftoff with their first win of '13.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...1-238d6f5febef
    Will Geno throw an INT, of course but he'll also throw a few TD passes. He won't get rattled and the OL is better than last year. Our D will keep us in the game as in preseason game as against the Giants. We won that close game and I expect similar results against the Buc who don't have a pass rush like the Giant do.