Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Accuracy, Smarts and a Canon for an arm

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    ... With a 4th string OL protecting him and 3rd string receivers catching for him ... Go figure ... Of course we have Geno with his 3 interceptions and safety just in case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Simms taking a safety was just as bad, should have gotten rid of the ball. If Simms played against the Giants starters he would have 2 pick 6s on his stat line.

And playing with scrubs doesn't offset playing against them, it's not the same. Its why last years golden boy had the fans calling for him to play. McElroy threw for over 300 yds against the Eagle in game 4 action and created just as many threads proclaiming him the best QB on the roster. Brought the same calls for patience, people reminding others that he played well against scrubs.

No one believed it until he got his start. And sh1t the bed.

Patience is needed, Simms has much more in the was of physical skills than McElroy. But it takes a hell of a lot more than a strong arm to play QB well.

If thats all it took Browning Nagle would be in the HOF. He makes Simms look like Chad.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    All this from a game vs some third and 4th stringers.
    Championship!!!!!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    And playing with scrubs doesn't offset playing against them, it's not the same. Its why last years golden boy had the fans calling for him to play. McElroy threw for over 300 yds against the Eagle in game 4 action and created just as many threads proclaiming him the best QB on the roster. Brought the same calls for patience, people reminding others that he played well against scrubs.

Patience is needed, Simms has much more in the was of physical skills than McElroy. But it takes a hell of a lot more than a strong arm to play QB well.

If thats all it took Browning Nagle would be in the HOF. He makes Simms look like Chad.
    LOL. I wonder sometimes where you get your information?

McElroy wasn't even close to 300 yards. He threw for 90.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    LOL. I wonder sometimes where you get your information?

McElroy wasn't even close to 300 yards. He threw for 90.
    His point is still valid. Simms had a very nice game but he also made his share of mistakes and if was playing against the Giants first team defense like Smith did, he could easily of had 2 picks along with that safety. Both qbs look good to me; for the first time in forever, I think we have two legit qbs talents on the team. This could be a Richard Todd and Matt Robinson all over again :-). You young fans may have to look that reference up ;-).

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    His point is still valid. Simms had a very nice game but he also made his share of mistakes and if was playing against the Giants first team defense like Smith did, he could easily of had 2 picks along with that safety. Both qbs look good to me; for the first time in forever, I think we have two legit qbs talents on the team. This could be a Richard Todd and Matt Robinson all over again :-). You young fans may have to look that reference up ;-).
    LOL. Well, I wish I could say I was a young fan. I started with a guy named Namath.

And it's hard for a point to be valid when the point was 210+ yards off target.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsrush View Post
    Your right - this negates everything I said. My apologies.
    It's "you're", not "your".

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeJet View Post
    If there one thing that holds true at almost all levels of football, it is that the backup QB is the most popular player on the roster for a majority of teams.
    Could you give, say, 10 or 15 examples that support what you're saying, in the league today? Was Brunell a good example?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    It's "you're", not "your".

Right again.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Time flies when your having pun..
    40,000!?!?

Damn, you're old.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Richard Todd, Matt Robinson II?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    WE TALKIN' 'BOUT PRESEASON!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FTL Jet Fan View Post
    Hopefully depth chart looks like this Smith, Simms, Harrell and Sanchez IR
    Amen

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjfollower View Post
    Simms should be the starter for the Jets. It's not like we have some blue chip QB ahead of him. Maybe I just don't know what I'm seeing on the TV, but in my eyes Simms was clearly the best QB on the roster. I'm not usually one to get excited about 3rd string QB's either. I never cared for McElroy or Ratliff or Bollinger or any of those guys.

Simms though - WOW - that kid can sling the rock with the best of them from a pure physical standpoint. He sure seems to "get it" and be more ready than what I've seen of Geno so far. I know he was going against future UPS guys but at least he dominated them like he was supposed to.

At the very least they need to figure out how to give the kid a chance to win that starter position. I'd start him week 1, but I'm just a slob sitting on my couch so what do I know?
    +1

Simms knows the offense better than Geno at this point and he was excellent in the preseason. "It was against 2nd and 3rd stringaz!" - the same 2nd and 3rd stringers Geno and Mark struggled against?

We don't need the next Joe Montana all we need is Jake Delhomme a la 2003.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Simms taking a safety was just as bad, should have gotten rid of the ball. If Simms played against the Giants starters he would have 2 pick 6s on his stat line.

McElroy has no arm strength so comparing him to Simms is nonsense. Simms has a gun and the same Giants defense that Sanchez struggled against and nearly put him in the IR Simms led two scoring drives against and won the game. Crazier things have happened than Matt Simms coming in and being a decent game-manager NFL QB who doesn't turn the ball over but hey you're awesome.