Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 15 kids under the age of 16 shot in NY in last 3 months. Two, less than 3 years old.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    My point is that if murder is at a historic low, then something is going right, big picture wise.
    Bloomburg, who would know, says it's "Stop & Frisk".

Does that fact (low murder rate) justify a racist and unconsitutional law enforcement policy?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Is that the argument here? That New York City is exceptional?

Meh, re-reading....dont see that, ludicrous..indeed. Rock on with your bad self.

One year old shot to death... in it's stroller. Its funny...because a conservative guy is railing about it?

How else do I interpret this?

(Does in fact confirm much of my views on liberals.)

-
    I don't think anyone, anywhere in the US thinks a one year old being shot to death is funny (stroller or otherwise). But I have no idea what SQF means either.

My point is that the S&F started happening in the early 2000s, but the crime rate had already been dropping at historic rates. THe continued drop was not just in NYC, but all over the country. It's not clear at all that S&F are a continued reason for a crime drop to date. Again, Giuliani's policies were what NYC needed to pull themselves out of a nosedive (but that crime reduction is in line what happened around the US.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that the argument here? That New York City is exceptional?

Meh, re-reading....dont see that, ludicrous..indeed. Rock on with your bad self.

One year old shot to death... in it's stroller. Its funny...because a conservative guy is railing about it?

How else do I interpret this?

(Does in fact confirm much of my views on liberals.)

-
    I was asking wtf SQF means. No one is laughing; just curious.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    But the SQF hand-wringers care about minority communities and the kids therein, right?

And Bill DeBlasio is telling us his son has more to fear from the police than the lawlessness that is returning to the streets as the gang-bangers realize the cops that save thousands of lives since the 90's...are institutionally neutered.

Anyone notice that in the dialogue of the current Mayoral race, the words "getting stopped" has virtually taken on the meaning of getting lynched?

My inclination to say I told you so is overshadowed by the great sadness I feel that an untold number of minority kids have just been sentenced to death.

If you feel that is too strong an assessment, you fail to grasp the dynamic of what has gone on in this city the last 25 years.

-
    +1

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Bloomburg, who would know, says it's "Stop & Frisk".

Does that fact (low murder rate) justify a racist and unconsitutional law enforcement policy?
    As you know, I'm an idiot...but I really cant imagine S&F prevents murder.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    SQF = stop, question,frisk

The biggest criminal is Jumaane Willians (sp?) because his constituents will be the biggest losers of the law being changed for the worse. But hey - its a rallying cry that will get him re-elected and hell - he's got a police detail for protection, right?

what bull****.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd have to let a professional answer that, like Greeen for example.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I'd have to let a professional answer that, like Greeen for example.
    As much respect as I have for him and the cops on the street, Im not sure they are ones to prove a cause and effect.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    32, this is no different than any other liberal policy. Touchy-feely rationales and moral relativism devoid of commons sense, predictably disastrous results.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't recall right now, but some columnist I read on a daily basis received an email from a reader about SQF ending. The emailer is white and his email contained 1 question: "why should I care?"

Pretty cold. But if you want to do away with something that makes your own community safer, well...be careful what you wish for.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    As much respect as I have for him and the cops on the street, Im not sure they are ones to prove a cause and effect.
    As a lay person, the articles I've read point out SQF as a useful tool, but just one part of the equation in reducing crime. Will you see a simple statistic that SQF reduces crime X%? Probably not, since its a very complex issue.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    As you know, I'm an idiot.
    +1

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    +1

About time.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I was asking wtf SQF means. No one is laughing; just curious.
    I over-reacted, T....... and I apologize. Dooshy, impulsive post on my part.

In a nutshell, there are alot of guns in the ghetto; Most of them, legally purchased in the south and illegally sold in the north to gang-bangers; When there is no chance of getting frisked by the cawps, the bad guys carry them like cell phones and when ever a street beef occurs...(which is common) they come out like cell-phones and people get killed. When the cawps are out and stopping people who show signs of being armed (as per NYC Criminal Procedure Law sect. 140.50 ) and pursuant to an articulable reason by the cawp (this is key) the guns tend to stay hidden in closets where they are not readily available for impulsive, reactionary street retaliation. That simple.

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    SQF = stop, question,frisk

The biggest criminal is Jumaane Willians (sp?) because his constituents will be the biggest losers of the law being changed for the worse. But hey - its a rallying cry that will get him re-elected and hell - he's got a police detail for protection, right?

what bull****.
    Exactly. The impulse to give the finger to "the man" seems to always trump the needs the needs of the generation of kids that almost always fall victim to this senseless gun violence. Doesnt matter if the politician is white or black...ambition and cynical manipulation of the media rules the day while kids die...and other kids are ruined witnessing it.

-

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    In a nutshell, there are alot of guns in the ghetto; Most of them, legally purchased in the south and illegally sold in the north to gang-bangers; When there is no chance of getting frisked by the cawps, the bad guys carry them like cell phones and when ever a street beef occurs...(which is common) they come out like cell-phones and people get killed. When the cawps are out and stopping people who show signs of being armed (as per NYC Criminal Procedure Law sect. 140.50 ) and pursuant to an articulable reason by the cawp (this is key) the guns tend to stay hidden in closets where they are not readily available for impulsive, reactionary street retaliation. That simple.
    Seems pretty simple logic when you put it that way. Less guns being carried should mean less hot heads able to shoot each other on the spot.
    Last edited by Brooklyn Jet; 09-05-2013 at 01:19 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

-
    Thanks for the explanation.

(Honestly, posts like this help understand the issue at hand much better than the "hang-wringing" ones. )

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly. The impulse to give the finger to "the man" seems to always trump the needs the needs of the generation of kids that almost always fall victim to this senseless gun violence. Doesnt matter if the politician is white or black...ambition and cynical manipulation of the media rules the day while kids die...and other kids are ruined witnessing it.

-
    Thanks right back atcha. I operate on faith (since the Rodney King riots) that with "Shot Spot" and certain strategic tactics by the "gun patrol" (if the cops catch you discharging the gun they go back to sweating the members of family/gang)....all of this leaves the impression of serious consequences (from police and own gang members) for firing a gun for fun or violence.

in 2008 I had people over and gunshots (16 or so) rang out on the hill behind my house. An arriving guest saw the fire from the muzzle(s) and feared for his life. The gun car was there within seconds it seemed. Shot spot is awesome.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

-
    Personally, I think it's a bit disingenuous of anyone with even the most basic critical thinking ability to say that SQF doesn't help prevent murders (not targeting you Fox since you sincerely didn't know what it was till 32 explained it). The logic is there: keep guns off the streets, murders go down. Sure the logic is also there that people who want to do harm will find a way to do harm, but the impulsive, idiotic harm that can be done is brought down significantly.

I wonder why such sound reasonable logic doesn't apply to the issue of gun control?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    http://nypost.com/2013/09/19/gunstats/

The recent ruling against stop-and-frisk has emboldened the city’s pistol-packing perps.

In the month after federal judge Shira Scheindlin’s decision that the police procedure is unconstitutional, shootings spiked nearly 13 percent — and gun seizures plummeted more than 17 percent, The Post has learned.

During the 28 days ending Sept. 8, there were 140 shootings across the Big Apple, compared with 124 during the same period last year, the figures show.

And the number of gunshot victims was up more than 9 percent, with 164 people struck by bullets this year, compared with 150 shot over that month last year.

The victims include two tragic tots: 16-month-old Antiq Hennis, who was slain in his stroller as his parents pushed him across a Brownsville, Brooklyn, street, and Tharell Edward, 3, who was struck and wounded by a bullet in the head as he slept in his crib in the same borough.
    Antiq’s alleged shooter, Daquan Breland, and his accomplice fled to Pennsylvania, where they were later arrested at a housing complex in Wilkes-Barre.

Breland was charged with murder and his accomplice was slapped with a gun-possession charge for stashing the murder weapon, authorities said.
    After Scheindlin’s ruling on Aug. 12, another, less serious shooting involving a child occurred.

On Aug. 24, a 3-year-old boy was shot in the arm when Alex Tatis, 27, allegedly fired three shots at another person and hit the youngster in Vidalia Park in The Bronx.

Tatis was arrested on charges of attempted murder, assault and weapons possession.
    Meanwhile, cops seized only 239 firearms between Aug. 10 and Sept. 8, compared with 289 weapons taken off the streets during the same period last year.

Gun charges are also down, by more than 15 percent, with monthly arrests dropping to 417 this year from 492 last year, according to NYPD statistics.

Sources blamed the disturbing trends on Scheindlin’s ruling, which was handed down two days after the start of this year’s monthly reporting period.

“Shootings are going through the roof now because perps are not afraid to carry a gun,” a source said.

Scheindlin wrote in her 195-page decision that stop-and-frisk violated the rights of minorities.
    Another NYPD source said that cops are no longer being “proactive” with stop-and-frisk because “they’re scared of being sued. They feel as if the city is not going to indemnify them in lawsuits,” the source said.

Ever since Scheindlin’s ruling, cops have jokingly referred to the anti-crime procedure — which is officially called “stop, question and frisk” — as “stop, watch and wait,” another source said.

It could have been worse, another police source said. The city was “lucky” that Scheindlin’s ruling came at the end of summer.
    “The summer months always produce more crime because of the heat,” the source said.

“If the ruling happened at the beginning of the summer, all hell would have broken loose.”

Police complained that Scheindlin’s ruling removed the risk of arrest that gun-toters faced if they were stopped.

“Before the ruling, when police were proactively stopping people, guys would not carry a gun unless they knew they were going to do a shooting,” a police source said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to 1988, mofo's!

If you missed it the first time, buy your ticket now and head on down to NYC! (bring a defribrlllator, tourniquet and toe tag)

Our next Mayor rode his son's race and appearance and a the SQF issue into the Mayoralty....I'm sure he's incapable of seeing the irony that he sentenced countless other kids who look just like "the Fro" , but dont have bodyguards and private schools....to death.

The numbers dont lie...and its only just begun!

Sleep well, DeBlasio. Sleep well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    But the SQF hand-wringers care about minority communities and the kids therein, right?

And Bill DeBlasio is telling us his son has more to fear from the police than the lawlessness that is returning to the streets as the gang-bangers realize the cops that save thousands of lives since the 90's...are institutionally neutered.

Anyone notice that in the dialogue of the current Mayoral race, the words "getting stopped" has virtually taken on the meaning of getting lynched?

My inclination to say I told you so is overshadowed by the great sadness I feel that an untold number of minority kids have just been sentenced to death.

If you feel that is too strong an assessment, you fail to grasp the dynamic of what has gone on in this city the last 25 years.

-
    When I was a kid growing up in Brooklyn, the local cop that walked the beat "Frank the Cop", was the most feared by local wiseguy kids. He wouldn't hesitate to hit you on the legs if you gave him any lip. He dealt justice on the spot. Today I just see 2 cops in a car cruising around and no one knows the cops name.