Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RB Alex Green claimed off waivers

RB Alex Green claimed off waivers

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ds-alex-green/

After the Jets cut running back Joe McKnight this week, McKnight tweeted that he was going to Green Bay.

It turned out to be a workout rather than a contract that led McKnight to the Packers, but a running back let go by the Pack appears to have found more luck with McKnight’s old team. Agent Michael Hoffman sent out congratulations to his client Alex Green on getting claimed off of waivers by the Jets.

Green was a third-round pick in 2011, but tore his ACL that season and averaged just 3.4 yards per carry for Green Bay last season. With Eddie Lacy and Johnathan Franklin joining the Packers in this year’s draft, Green wound up getting pushed off the depth chart.

He’ll likely slot in behind Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell with the Jets, displacing Khalil Bell. Mike Goodson is suspended for the first four games of the season and his return could spell the end of Green’s time with the Jets if he doesn’t make a strong early impression on the coaching staff.

Seemed like a decent pick in the 2011 draft, but tore his ACL his first season. Supposedly good in the passing game, so could fill in for Goodson at least temporarily as a third down back.

Here are some draft scouting links:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profil...een?id=2495287

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...couting-report

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...-alex-green-ha

All League
    Hopefully he pans out, wears the #23, and adds an "e" to the end of his name. Won't have to throw out that jersey.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    Not really crazy about this move. Seems kind of JAGGY.

Not a bad move, depends how much he lost from his injury. If he was healthy (I doubt the Packers release him then) he would've been a great pickup, but for a No. 3 RB that might just be a placeholder until Goodson comes back, it's worth a shot. He's played in the WCO offense in GB, is an excellent pass catcher, and also played in Hawaii run and gun offense, so he's pretty used to playing in pass happy offenses.

Green looked good in preseason. Thought he looked better then Lacy. Shocked GB cut him really but they are committed to Stark and Lacy.

jonathon dwyer wouldve been a better pick up IMO

All Pro
    QUOTE=Jordy;4969582]Not really crazy about this move. Seems kind of JAGGY.[/QUOTE]

Imagine Shonn Grenne with the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. Oh, and this kid can block.

obviously Green has more upside, but I liked what I saw from Bell in preseason, so this is a little puzzling.

maybe Green is a better fit scheme-wise.

All Pro
    Hope this Green looks better than the last Greene. Havings said that I thought Bell looked pretty good in the PS - didn't he score most of the TD's?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMarkSanchez View Post
    jonathon dwyer wouldve been a better pick up IMO
    I agree, I posted that thought on another thread. He has some real upside to him.

Veteran
    I just saw a bunch of clips of Green (AG). He really has great hands and is a better than average pass blocker. Because he started for them a bunch of games last year, I feel totally comfortable if injuries give him the opportunity to start. He's a great fit for the west coast offense scheme. With the last two pickups of Green and former Colt tackle Ben Ijalana who I think makes a solid backup at tackle and guard.

One more comment about Green: Late night TV (2am) on ESPN, Clayton says that the Jets have a much better offensive line and maybe he sticks. The Packers have had many issues at RB over the years and most of it relates to not talent, but their poorest OL. They're known for the pass blocking prowess and not they're run blocking. The Jets have a solid offensive line and it's on the fringe of being a great one IF Ducasse can become an above average player for the Jets.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...en-41-yard-run

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Green looked good in preseason. Thought he looked better then Lacy. Shocked GB cut him really but they are committed to Stark and Lacy.
    They also have Johnathan Franklin, who I think is going to be a very good back in the NFL.

Green fits the WCO better than Bell does. Green has good hands and has played in Green Bays WCO which is kind of similar to MMs offense.

Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    I just saw a bunch of clips of Green (AG). He really has great hands and is a better than average pass blocker. Because he started for them a bunch of games last year, I feel totally comfortable if injuries give him the opportunity to start. He's a great fit for the west coast offense scheme. With the last two pickups of Green and former Colt tackle Ben Ijalana who I think makes a solid backup at tackle and guard.

One more comment about Green: Late night TV (2am) on ESPN, Clayton says that the Jets have a much better offensive line and maybe he sticks. The Packers have had many issues at RB over the years and most of it relates to not talent, but their poorest OL. They're known for the pass blocking prowess and not they're run blocking. The Jets have a solid offensive line and it's on the fringe of being a great one IF Ducasse can become an above average player for the Jets.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...en-41-yard-run
    We need Ducasse to play angry.
    I honestly think this kid needs some nasty in him because everyone knows he's massive, ridiculously strong & can bring some slamming when he gets off on the right snap count.
    I really think he has a language barrier & maybe he's finally caught up to just the basics of firing off on the right snap count.
    I'll be home moaning though if he gets a couple of false starts...that is basic chit.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    They also have Johnathan Franklin, who I think is going to be a very good back in the NFL.

Green fits the WCO better than Bell does. Green has good hands and has played in Green Bays WCO which is kind of similar to MMs offense.
    As a Clemson guy, would you like to see Tajh or Watkins in Green next year?

I like the fact that he has quickness.
    When you look at the RBs the Jets will bring to the table this year, once Goodsen gets here, it's like night & day.
    Greene was the perfect RB for the Pats to stop. He has no wiggle, can't break tackles ect.
    This year, they will have to deal with someone as powerful as Greene that has moves & vision in Ivory. Green, who is very quick & has great hands & we'll have Goodsen for our home game vs them.
    Powell while serviceable, is good at blocking, has good hands & has some wiggle has ZERO explosion.
    To take advantage of the lack of speed at LB with the Pats all 3 of these new backs bring the QUICKNESS that we didn't have last year.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    As a Clemson guy, would you like to see Tajh or Watkins in Green next year?
    Watkins, its not even close.

Jets Insider VIP
    +1

I'm starting to favor Watkins over Marqise Lee.

Watkins as a prospect >>> Tavon Austin as a prospect

When you think about the Packers, I believe they are looking to be more physical at RB thus the Green cut.
    They have to protect their bad defense by running a slightly pulled back version of the WCO.
    While its fun to throw 75% of the time, Rogers took too many hits behind a bad Oline, they rarely won the TOP time which also tires out your defense. I think they are looking for more of a classic running game with handoffs from the QB.

Jets are going in the other direction. We already have the classic running game with Ivory, but with Goodsen down, Green fills the role of the quick RB slipping out into the flat that can juke a LB.
    The Pack is just trying to reign things in a little & Jets with MM are trying to throw a little more.
    Green coming free & the Jets being able to get a guy that understands the WCO & routes could be a godsend.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    +1

I'm starting to favor Watkins over Marqise Lee.

Watkins as a prospect >>> Tavon Austin as a prospect
    Watkins is getting better as a receiver, he has been working on his route running and if he improves that a little look out, kid is going to be dangerous. He learned a lot from Hopkins last year about being more physical when going up for the ball and being precise with his routes.

I agree, he's special. The play he made the other night, catching the ball at mid-field and taking it to the house, is something very few people on the planet could do. He would make our offense 20% better by himself. Please.........give us a top 5 pick>