Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Raiders cut Tyler Wilson

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Raiders cut Tyler Wilson

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...k-tyler-wilson

Back in April the Raiders used the 112th overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft to grab Arkansas quarterback Tyler Wilson. There was some offseason thought the rookie could unseat Matt Flynn for the starting job, but that seems laughable Sunday as the team has reportedly cut him.

Pro Football Talk reports Wilson's days in Oakland are numbered as the team's decided not to move forward with four quarterbacks on the roster.

Wilson, who took Oakland's draft-day call while in a Wal-Mart, fell to the fourth round following a rough final season at Arkansas. Considered a sleeper of sorts, he struggled mightily this offseason to learn the Raiders offense.

Things went badly enough for Wilson that he fell behind undrafted free agent and former Penn State quarterback Matt McGloin (and way behind Terrelle Pryor and Flynn).

There are a couple ways of looking at this. One, it's great news that McGloin exceeded expectations and made the roster. The more rational -- less pessimistic -- way to approach the news of Wilson getting dumped is to point out that the Raiders completely wasted a fourth-round pick in this year's draft.

Considering how bad the talent is on their roster, that's a pretty unacceptable thing to do. Wilson could, if he clears waivers, wind up on the Oakland practice squad.

The guess here is that he won't make it through though -- in the NFL one man's trash is almost always another man's treasure. Especially at the quarterback position.
    yes, please

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. I really liked him in college.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW, THIS IS EXPLOSIVE NEWS!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Me too. Way more than Geno Smith when he was with Petrino.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    WOW, THIS IS EXPLOSIVE NEWS!
    /thread

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll take him over Graham Harrell, but it's surprising that a team that has no good QB like Oakland gives up on so quickly. I mean, how bad do you have to be to get booted so quickly from a talentless team? The scouting report I saw on him, seemed a bit similar to Sanchez to be honest. His velocity on deep passes dip on the tail end, he doesn't understand his limitations, stays in the pocket and take brutal hits. I think he could be a decent backup maybe, but there are some limitations on him physically.

Also, how hard is to learn the Oakland offense? Hand to McFadden, repeat 3 times, walk back to sideline!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Win4ever View Post
    I'll take him over Graham Harrell, but it's surprising that a team that has no good QB like Oakland gives up on so quickly. I mean, how bad do you have to be to get booted so quickly from a talentless team? The scouting report I saw on him, seemed a bit similar to Sanchez to be honest. His velocity on deep passes dip on the tail end, he doesn't understand his limitations, stays in the pocket and take brutal hits. I think he could be a decent backup maybe, but there are some limitations on him physically.

Also, how hard is to learn the Oakland offense? Hand to McFadden, repeat 3 times, walk back to sideline!!
    Then why you surprised by this cut?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would not pick him up. He got beat out by Matt McGloin from Penn State in preseason. if the Raiders don't think you can be a good QB, then you are not a good QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilson had a horrid combine and just doesnt have the physical tools to make it. He is anther McElroy type guy IMO. Good head on his shoulders for the game but just not build to play pro ball. At best I feel he is still a career #3. Not making Oakland will pretty much end his career IMO.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RussianGreen View Post
    Then why you surprised by this cut?
    Because he's still a rookie, and a 4th rd pick is still valuable enough that it's a bit puzzling they gave up so quickly. They thought highly of him to pick him in the 4th, and their roster is devoid of talent, so it would've better served them to atleast hold onto him even as a career backup than just releasing him. Heck, with their roster, they could've carried 4 QBs and no one would've cared. Unless ofcourse, Wilson is also a clubhouse malcontent and wanted out, and they just felt it was going to detract from their rebuilding, but otherwise it's very rare for teams to give up on QBs, even if picked in mid rounds after a few months.

Even if he's Sanchez, still makes a viable backup in the league, as much as people hate Sanchez.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Wilson had a horrid combine and just doesnt have the physical tools to make it. He is anther McElroy type guy IMO. Good head on his shoulders for the game but just not build to play pro ball. At best I feel he is still a career #3. Not making Oakland will pretty much end his career IMO.
    Yes the SEC has not had a good standing with QBs in the NFL recently (not counting Peyton or Eli) except for Stafford and Cam Newton has been lukewarm

JaMarcus Russell, Tim Tebow, Matt Flynn, Tyler Wilson, Greg McElroy

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I would not pick him up. He got beat out by Matt McGloin from Penn State in preseason. if the Raiders don't think you can be a good QB, then you are not a good QB.
    Bingo. Struggling to learn the offense= dumb and/or lazy. Not the formula for an NFL QB.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    That is an understatement! His performance was dreadful. Wilson has actively looking for jobs as well. He might not be cut out to be pro QB

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because he's still a rookie, and a 4th rd pick is still valuable enough that it's a bit puzzling they gave up so quickly. They thought highly of him to pick him in the 4th, and their roster is devoid of talent, so it would've better served them to atleast hold onto him even as a career backup than just releasing him. Heck, with their roster, they could've carried 4 QBs and no one would've cared. Unless ofcourse, Wilson is also a clubhouse malcontent and wanted out, and they just felt it was going to detract from their rebuilding, but otherwise it's very rare for teams to give up on QBs, even if picked in mid rounds after a few months.

Even if he's Sanchez, still makes a viable backup in the league, as much as people hate Sanchez.
    I agree with this. Why draft the guy if you're not going to give him a chance. Is Flynn and even Pryor so far ahead of Wilson, a rookie, that they have no patience? How bad was he in preseason?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I agree with this. Why draft the guy if you're not going to give him a chance. Is Flynn and even Pryor so far ahead of Wilson, a rookie, that they have no patience? How bad was he in preseason?
    His stats weren't horrible either, he was 8-12, 65 Yards, 0-0 TD/INT for an 80 ratings in the last preseason game. Not lighting it up by any means and likely against 3rd string guys, but it wasn't like he was getting abused. In the first game, he was 3/6 28 Yards for a 63 ratings. He didn't play in week 2 or 3. So, in the preseason,he was 11/18 (61%), 90 Yards, 0-0 TD/INT. I don't know what he was doing in practice or anything, but actual playtime wasn't horrible. He wasn't lighting anyone up or be a super stud, but I didn't think his performance was so horrible that they just had to cut him outright.

There has to be something else underlying there, because it's just an odd move so quickly. I understand if it's a team that has a good QB, and a viable backup. But not with the Raiders.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    His stats weren't horrible either, he was 8-12, 65 Yards, 0-0 TD/INT for an 80 ratings in the last preseason game. Not lighting it up by any means and likely against 3rd string guys, but it wasn't like he was getting abused. In the first game, he was 3/6 28 Yards for a 63 ratings. He didn't play in week 2 or 3. So, in the preseason,he was 11/18 (61%), 90 Yards, 0-0 TD/INT. I don't know what he was doing in practice or anything, but actual playtime wasn't horrible. He wasn't lighting anyone up or be a super stud, but I didn't think his performance was so horrible that they just had to cut him outright.

There has to be something else underlying there, because it's just an odd move so quickly. I understand if it's a team that has a good QB, and a viable backup. But not with the Raiders.
    Agreed, we're probably not privy to all the facts on this.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Small hands, it always comes back to small hands for a QB.....LOL.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Small hands, it always comes back to small hands for a QB.....LOL.
    Smell like cabbage.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another rookie???? Not at the moment, unless Sanchez is seriously DONE.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Liked his name, but seriously what are the odds that two sleepers named Wilson would become NFL success stories in back to back years? Really they are polar opposites. Wilson is (football) smart, intuitive, hard working, and a natural leader. Wilson is physically gifted minus the arm strength. I think the real problem is that he doesn't know he has a weak arm, and he continues to try and make throws he just can't make. Doesn't seem to have the work ethic, or the commanding presence either. I think he'd be a good backup in a west coast offense. He's got much more talent than MacElroy.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 09-01-2013 at 08:26 PM.