Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Early Matchup Thoughts for Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Since both of our coordinators are different than last year, it's not fair to say "because last year then this".

You are being overly pessimistic on the season, and have an alternate agenda (Bridgewater). It's difficult to take your posts seriously because of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    You can't possibly be a Jet fan.
    The reason they were 1st in run defense is because they were 32nd vs the pass
    No one had to run against them
    +1
    This impostor should be forced to change his username if he's gonna post here, IMO.

A TOTAL disgrace and slap in the face representing Joe W. Namath.

As far as our offense matching up with their defense (and by matchup I mean how it looks right now "on paper" - this goes out the window if either QB throws 4 Picks, so if you want to discuss "Geno the turnover machine sucks and should sit a year" im sure there are other threads for that.

1. Revis is Revis, we know that better than any other fan base out there and I am certain he will want to stick it to the jets, but we have all seen how much losing TC hurt him when he held out, and now he has to shake off a years worth of rust. Personally I hope MM can get him on Hill and take a shot deep early - if just to make revis really push his hamstrings to keep up with hill. If he seems like hes close to back to normal, no problem, we stay away from him like teams have been doing to us for years.

2. I was shocked to see how well Tampas D was ranked vs the run in 2012, but as with the criticism of our "passing defense rank" - im sure that had a lot to do with the situations they faced during the year and the fact that their pass D was so awful, it was smarter for teams to throw then run. Gerarld McCoy is a borderline star and Adrian Clayborn is also a very good player making their Dline pretty strong. Bowers has been really up and down and was criticized again this TC for lack of effort. Mangold vs McCoy should be an excellent matchup but Tampa's Dline is definitely a strength for them.

3. Truthfully I know virtually nothing about their 3 LBs other then that Lavonte David is good in coverage, and put up great tackle numbers making him an excellent value coming out of the 2012 draft. That being said, none of these guys are special players. As for the seoncdary, the names are there as is the talent in Revis, Barron and Dashon Goldson but their 2nd and 3rd CBs are far from good and if we can isolate Revis, we should have some opportunities for our guys to make plays against them.

4. I completely disagree that we will go away from the run due to the Bucs "ranking" as it was more about the situation. Aside from Cimini saying Powell was "dropping balls and not playing well" he has done everything asked and I think he will be 20+ touches Sunday with Ivory getting 12-15 carries. Our Oline should be much improved in run blocking as Vlad is a better run blocker then slauson, Howard should be improved, and Colon is also an upgrade in talent and I think we will see a lot of that in week 1.

5. As for our passing offense, its been a very quiet 2 weeks as far as practice reports and with sanchez/mcelroy's injuries, which has created an opportunity for Geno to get a LOT of reps which is not a bad thing. MM will run his screens and short passes with a couple deep shots, but I wouldnt be surprised at all to see some Air Raid type plays where we get Powell at RB and Holmes/Spadola, Kerley and Hill out there with Winslow. Say what you want (if you are a Jets beat writer) but Holmes, Kerley and Hill along with Winslow DO create some matchup problems for people and there is a lot of speed out there with that group. Now, will they all make it through the game (or season) who knows, but when they are out there, that is not a bad group.

Being 3 point underdogs is quite a bit considering who we are playing and if Rex has any hope at making it to 2014, he NEEDS to get this team off on the right foor and the media off everyones back.

24-14 Jets in a "shocking opening day win"!

Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    I think if the Jets can score 17 pts, they win this game. Freeman may be one of only 3-4 Qb's in NFL that are as bad as Sanchez. Tampa D will be better than last year, and will be a challenge for our offense. We HAVE to run the ball effectively. Agree, this is one we can take.
    I agree...Jets win this game. 23-16

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    4. I completely disagree that we will go away from the run due to the Bucs "ranking" as it was more about the situation. Aside from Cimini saying Powell was "dropping balls and not playing well" he has done everything asked and I think he will be 20+ touches Sunday with Ivory getting 12-15 carries. Our Oline should be much improved in run blocking as Vlad is a better run blocker then slauson, Howard should be improved, and Colon is also an upgrade in talent and I think we will see a lot of that in week 1.
    do you think powell would get that many more touches than ivory? I was thinking they might try and get ivory a little more involved than that. maybe not due to injury concern?

Jets Insider VIP
    Raider 90210 - You really crack me up. Love your insight! Go Raiders!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    do you think powell would get that many more touches than ivory? I was thinking they might try and get ivory a little more involved than that. maybe not due to injury concern?
    I think that powell will be the third down back and if they split the carries other the other 2 downs, then it should wind up being about 24/25 to 12/15.

One interesting thing the ESPN Blogger for the NFC South reported was that once its decided Nicks cant go, they will either start Gabe Carimi in his place or move Zuttah to guard and have Ted Larson play center. To say Carimi is below average is an understatement and Larsen, who actually has 27 career starts at center and guard, checks in at 6'2 305. EIther way looks like a matchup to exploit with Wilkerson and our other DTs

@LRiddickESPN: Could see it getting ugly for the #Buccaneers interior pass pro vs the #Jets with the explosiveness that the #Jets have up the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @LRiddickESPN: Could see it getting ugly for the #Buccaneers interior pass pro vs the #Jets with the explosiveness that the #Jets have up the middle.

I wish these guys would at least #jetsinsider to give the site some respect.

Jets also listed Powell as the #1 TB on the depth chart

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    If we are going to have a chance against any team with a good a QB we are going to need these guys to have a huge game. I don't think Tampa is one of those teams but still.

I think that powell will be the third down back and if they split the carries other the other 2 downs, then it should wind up being about 24/25 to 12/15.

One interesting thing the ESPN Blogger for the NFC South reported was that once its decided Nicks cant go, they will either start Gabe Carimi in his place or move Zuttah to guard and have Ted Larson play center. To say Carimi is below average is an understatement and Larsen, who actually has 27 career starts at center and guard, checks in at 6'2 305. EIther way looks like a matchup to exploit with Wilkerson and our other DTs

Ivory will be the guy. Powell will be the 3rd down back. The bucs are missing some interior DL-man and they need to pound the ball between the tackles which Ivory excels at. Powell is going to hold the fort for Goodson. Powell will eventually be the back up at starting HB and back up at 3rd down back. That is his role. powell played so much in the preseason because they want a healthy Ivory for sunday.

20 -23 carries/touches for ivory
    10-12 carries for powell

All Pro
    a couple of thoughts....

1) The key on D in this game will be shutting down Doug Martin. Take away the run and the screens and Tampa is toast. Let Martin run free and things get interesting. I have as much faith in Freeman as I do Sanchez if the game is on his arm.

2) With Nicks out I think it's time for Sheldon Richardson to introduce himself to the NFL. Mo Wilk should the get All-Pro discussion started by manhandling Tampa's OL

3) The biggest key to the Jets Offense: Marty Mornhinweg

MM has the huge task of calling a game to get our Rookie QB comfortable, giving him some high percentage throws, unleash his natural talent and minimize the things he needs to work on. IDC if you have to put him in shotgun majority of the time....Geno was thrown to the wolves by circumstance, not by earning it. If you're MM you do every thing in your power as a playcaller to make him as comfortable as possible and get him a win in his home opener to start the season.

4) Next biggest key on O is the OL. They need to keep Geno upright and they need to start opening some running lanes....Big Vlad I'm looking at YOU

5) Of course I know Revis is All-World at CB but I test him early with a 9 route to Hill......I wanna know which Revis I'm dealing with: the GOAT CB or a shell due to injury.

Key Player on O: Chris Ivory/Bilal Powell
    Key Player on D: Would go Quinton Coples if he plays (longshot) but instead I will go Antwan Barnes/Sheldon Richardson

Quote Originally Posted by J-Diddy View Post
    Ivory will be the guy. Powell will be the 3rd down back. The bucs are missing some interior DL-man and they need to pound the ball between the tackles which Ivory excels at. Powell is going to hold the fort for Goodson. Powell will eventually be the back up at starting HB and back up at 3rd down back. That is his role. powell played so much in the preseason because they want a healthy Ivory for sunday.

20 -23 carries/touches for ivory
    10-12 carries for powell
    my heart says to flex ivory this week but I think I'm going with marques colston vs ATL

All League
    Don't turn it over Geno.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Look for Doug martin to put up 120 yards of rushing on the Jets defense. You're severely underrating Doug martin. You get the 5'9 220 pound martin running behind those big Guys on the oline. The time you find him its too late.
    The idiot returns. 90210 go get a clue Martin is an above average rb but that D line will make it a very long day for him and Freeman in the office. I like the Jets chances

I expect Kerley and (if he plays) Holmes to have plenty of targets in this game. Since it's Geno's first game, and with Revis on the other side, we were going to go to a lot of quick hits and slants, but they have probably the best safety tandem in the league, so I don't think we'll be taking as many shots downfield in this game as we would expect from MM.

It'll be interesting if Revis covers Holmes, with both of them missing camp and coming off major injuries. Almost like they'd be playing 10 on 10 out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    +1
    This impostor should be forced to change his username if he's gonna post here, IMO.

A TOTAL disgrace and slap in the face representing Joe W. Namath.
    That guy is a total jackass, he deserves a nice donkey punch for all the SOJF crap he puts on this forum!!

Jets Insider VIP
    As far as our offense matching up with their defense (and by matchup I mean how it looks right now "on paper" - this goes out the window if either QB throws 4 Picks, so if you want to discuss "Geno the turnover machine sucks and should sit a year" im sure there are other threads for that.

1. Revis is Revis, we know that better than any other fan base out there and I am certain he will want to stick it to the jets, but we have all seen how much losing TC hurt him when he held out, and now he has to shake off a years worth of rust. Personally I hope MM can get him on Hill and take a shot deep early - if just to make revis really push his hamstrings to keep up with hill. If he seems like hes close to back to normal, no problem, we stay away from him like teams have been doing to us for years.

2. I was shocked to see how well Tampas D was ranked vs the run in 2012, but as with the criticism of our "passing defense rank" - im sure that had a lot to do with the situations they faced during the year and the fact that their pass D was so awful, it was smarter for teams to throw then run. Gerarld McCoy is a borderline star and Adrian Clayborn is also a very good player making their Dline pretty strong. Bowers has been really up and down and was criticized again this TC for lack of effort. Mangold vs McCoy should be an excellent matchup but Tampa's Dline is definitely a strength for them.

3. Truthfully I know virtually nothing about their 3 LBs other then that Lavonte David is good in coverage, and put up great tackle numbers making him an excellent value coming out of the 2012 draft. That being said, none of these guys are special players. As for the seoncdary, the names are there as is the talent in Revis, Barron and Dashon Goldson but their 2nd and 3rd CBs are far from good and if we can isolate Revis, we should have some opportunities for our guys to make plays against them.

5. As for our passing offense, its been a very quiet 2 weeks as far as practice reports and with sanchez/mcelroy's injuries, which has created an opportunity for Geno to get a LOT of reps which is not a bad thing. MM will run his screens and short passes with a couple deep shots, but I wouldnt be surprised at all to see some Air Raid type plays where we get Powell at RB and Holmes/Spadola, Kerley and Hill out there with Winslow. Say what you want (if you are a Jets beat writer) but Holmes, Kerley and Hill along with Winslow DO create some matchup problems for people and there is a lot of speed out there with that group. Now, will they all make it through the game (or season) who knows, but when they are out there, that is not a bad group.

Being 3 point underdogs is quite a bit considering who we are playing and if Rex has any hope at making it to 2014, he NEEDS to get this team off on the right foor and the media off everyones back.

24-14 Jets in a "shocking opening day win"!
    I loved your post and agree with it. I think we are on our way to a 9 and 7 year with dramatic improvement in Geno as the season progresses. I also like our chances against NE on Thursday! Our increased up the guy pressure will annoy Brady. We can wreck havoc on an annoyed Brady!

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    The idiot returns. 90210 go get a clue Martin is an above average rb but that D line will make it a very long day for him and Freeman in the office. I like the Jets chances
    The Jets had trouble stopping the run last year and they lost Coples and replaced him with Richardson. Here the thing If by some chance you do stop Doug martin on the ground , they will use him in the passing game. You don't have an answer for that. So regardless where Doug martin gets his yards from( whether from run or pass). He going to get them . The Jets better hope they can get their running game going. If they can't you might be looking at another three plus pick performance from Geno Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    That guy is a total jackass, he deserves a nice donkey punch for all the SOJF crap he puts on this forum!!
    Ha ha ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Win4ever View Post
    I expect Kerley and (if he plays) Holmes to have plenty of targets in this game. Since it's Geno's first game, and with Revis on the other side, we were going to go to a lot of quick hits and slants, but they have probably the best safety tandem in the league, so I don't think we'll be taking as many shots downfield in this game as we would expect from MM.

It'll be interesting if Revis covers Holmes, with both of them missing camp and coming off major injuries. Almost like they'd be playing 10 on 10 out there.
    Barron struggled a lot as a rookie in pass coverage and the Bucs 2nd and 3rd CBs are average talents at best. Also don't forget this secondary hasn't played a single snap together as a unit in a game.

Hopefully we can isolate revis and attack the other players.