Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Early Matchup Thoughts for Tampa

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Early Matchup Thoughts for Tampa

Wanted to see what people think about how we matchup on Sunday - in my opinion this is a VERY winnable game for the jets.

Heres my thoughts on their offense vs our defense.

1. Looks like Carl Nicks is out with the MRSA infection which basically cancels out us being without Coples. He is an exceptional player (when healthy) and this will weaken the interior of their line, that will also be getting Davin Joseph back at the other guard, who is a solid player, but their line overall is nothing special. Whoever the fill in at guard will be id suspect they will have a rough day with wilkerson, richardson and ellis/Harrison beating them up. Their center jeremy zuttah is a decent overall player but at 305-310 lbs will be giving up almost 35-40 lbs to our NTs and while the temps wont be too hot for an opener, it should be about 80 degrees so hopefully we can use our size advantage in the 4th quarter.

2. Defensively we struggle with 2 main things - TEs in the middle of the field, and smaller, quick WRs and RBs and Tampa really does not have that type of offense. At WR we match up very well with their base package as Mike Williams and VJax are taller, physical WRs as opposed to quicker slot-type guys. Cro should be a favorable matchup for us on Vjax and given the lack of TEs, we should be able to give safety help to whoever is on Mike Williams. Speaking of safeties, TB has arguably the worst set of TEs in the league, and I believe their starter, Luke Stocker is hurt, further weakening the position. They are far from Gronk and Hernandez out there.

3. Their biggest weapon is Doug Martin, but he isnt a chris johnson type guy with breakaway speed, so hopefully we can keep him under 100 yards and limit him in their screen game. This is a team we can play a lot of straight man coverage against, and have a safety spy Martin, to avoid giving up a big play. Id much rather take my chances with their TEs beating us, than martin.

4. Lastly, as bad of a QB situation we have, it was VERY underreported how awful Freeman was all preseason. He is not an accurate passer, and he does not do well with pressure up the middle - Hello Wilk/Richardson. Im hoping we can get a couple turnovers off pressuring Freeman into a mistake, as he hasnt had that many reps with his slot man, kevin ogeltree as far as hot reads, etc.

Offensive thoughts coming later....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look for Doug martin to put up 120 yards of rushing on the Jets defense. You're severely underrating Doug martin. You get the 5'9 220 pound martin running behind those big Guys on the oline. The time you find him its too late.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 09-02-2013 at 08:47 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Look for Doug martin to put up 120 yards of rushing on the Jets defense.
    BAN

thanks

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think if the Jets can score 17 pts, they win this game. Freeman may be one of only 3-4 Qb's in NFL that are as bad as Sanchez. Tampa D will be better than last year, and will be a challenge for our offense. We HAVE to run the ball effectively. Agree, this is one we can take.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Wanted to see what people think about how we matchup on Sunday - in my opinion this is a VERY winnable game for the jets.

Heres my thoughts on their offense vs our defense.

1. Looks like Carl Nicks is out with the MRSA infection which basically cancels out us being without Coples. He is an exceptional player (when healthy) and this will weaken the interior of their line, that will also be getting Davin Joseph back at the other guard, who is a solid player, but their line overall is nothing special. Whoever the fill in at guard will be id suspect they will have a rough day with wilkerson, richardson and ellis/Harrison beating them up. Their center jeremy zuttah is a decent overall player but at 305-310 lbs will be giving up almost 35-40 lbs to our NTs and while the temps wont be too hot for an opener, it should be about 80 degrees so hopefully we can use our size advantage in the 4th quarter.

2. Defensively we struggle with 2 main things - TEs in the middle of the field, and smaller, quick WRs and RBs and Tampa really does not have that type of offense. At WR we match up very well with their base package as Mike Williams and VJax are taller, physical WRs as opposed to quicker slot-type guys. Cro should be a favorable matchup for us on Vjax and given the lack of TEs, we should be able to give safety help to whoever is on Mike Williams. Speaking of safeties, TB has arguably the worst set of TEs in the league, and I believe their starter, Luke Stocker is hurt, further weakening the position. They are far from Gronk and Hernandez out there.

3. Their biggest weapon is Doug Martin, but he isnt a chris johnson type guy with breakaway speed, so hopefully we can keep him under 100 yards and limit him in their screen game. This is a team we can play a lot of straight man coverage against, and have a safety spy Martin, to avoid giving up a big play. Id much rather take my chances with their TEs beating us, than martin.

4. Lastly, as bad of a QB situation we have, it was VERY underreported how awful Freeman was all preseason. He is not an accurate passer, and he does not do well with pressure up the middle - Hello Wilk/Richardson. Im hoping we can get a couple turnovers off pressuring Freeman into a mistake, as he hasnt had that many reps with his slot man, kevin ogeltree as far as hot reads, etc.

Offensive thoughts coming later....
    Pressure up the middle will be the order of the day for the Jets.
    Love your insight on the small size of their center. With Snacks, hopefully Ellis, & Rex will squeeze Wilkerson in there to jump the gaps.
    Freeman has big feet, & he's not the fastest guy. Perfect matchup for our front 7 & our slower LBs.
    Stopping Martin will be Rex #1 priority.
    Crowd noise will be imperative on 3rd downs. We need that home field advantage, especially when offenses are not completely on the same page yet. Force the Bucs into silent counts & hope that they make a mistake in communication.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look for Doug martin to put up 120 yards of rushing on the Jets defense. You're severely underrating Doug martin. You get the 5'9 220 pound martin running behind those big Guys on the oline. The time you find him its too late.
    Hey dingleberry, in the OP, it was mentioned how their best OL'n will probably not play. Pay attention and stop pretending you know what you're talking about, which you do not!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I expect TB to run a Hurry Up offense, and a lot of screens and draws in an attempt to slow the pass rush. If they are successful they will challenge Wilson And cro deep as both have a tendency to be called for PI. I would not be surprised to see Jamon Meredith get snaps at TE, IF Wilkenson is having his way with Donald Penn. I did not see much pressure from the NT position either this year of last, so I don't see why much is expected this game. Tampa I expect will try to get Martin in the flats to attack the edges of the jets D.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Terrelle Pryor Embarrassing as a Starting Quarterback

Please click on the above link.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Hey dingleberry, in the OP, it was mentioned how their best OL'n will probably not play. Pay attention and stop pretending you know what you're talking about, which you do not!
    Hey Little ray are you aware that Carl Nicks missed 9 games in 2012 . YEt despite that Doug martin on 319 carriers rushed for 1,454 yards , 4.6 per carry 11tds . 49 receptions for 472 yards , 29.5 average per reception. Yes Carl Nicks is the Tampa bay Buccs best olineman, but if you think that is all they have on the oline you're in for a rude awakening. I will lets his numbers speak for them self.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I expect TB to run a Hurry Up offense, and a lot of screens and draws in an attempt to slow the pass rush. If they are successful they will challenge Wilson And cro deep as both have a tendency to be called for PI. I would not be surprised to see Jamon Meredith get snaps at TE, IF Wilkenson is having his way with Donald Penn. I did not see much pressure from the NT position either this year of last, so I don't see why much is expected this game. Tampa I expect will try to get Martin in the flats to attack the edges of the jets D.
    First off, Tampa has been struggling on offense all preseason, so I hope they go no huddle when they are obviously not on the same page yet, on the road where noise will be a factor & if they are not successful with it, it will allow us to continue to try & run the ball & wear out their defense in the 2nd half.
    Usually, opening games are won in the 2nd half when teams tire. Jets need to take the TOP in the 1st half & force the Bucs into a comeback mode which might limit Martins touches.
    If we don't slow Martin down in the 1st half & allow Tampa to control TOP, I'm scared now.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Little ray are you aware that Carl Nicks missed 9 games in 2012 . YEt despite that Doug martin on 319 carriers rushed for 1,454 yards , 4.6 per carry 11tds . 49 receptions for 472 yards , 29.5 average per reception. Yes Carl Nicks is the Tampa bay Buccs best olineman, but if you think that is all they have on the oline you're in for a rude awakening. I will lets his numbers speak for them self.
    Doug Martin vs Oakland, October 25, 2012: 25 Carries, 251 yards, 4 TDs.

That's an Al Bundy day all day.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

That right without carl Nicks too.( thanks for making my point) I can wait till after the game to see how wrong my analysis was off.

Also don't forget the fact that tampabay WR( V jackson and M Williams) have 20 plus pounds on Jets Cb's . ( A cromartie. Kyle wilson) The reason that big is they block Jet cb's ,and it easier for D martin to get outside.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 09-02-2013 at 10:08 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Patman, Rutgers fan here. Saw Steve Beauharnais made squad. I saw him play 4 years, and he will be good player for you. All he does is make plays. Was lost in shuffle last couple of years with Khasheem Greene, but he is a player. Other than the SEC, Rutgers has been putting more guys in NFL per year than most other schools. For the life of me, I don't get it why the Jets Never get any of them, more baffling considering Rutgers is @ 35 mins away from Jets facility.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    That right without carl Nicks too.( thanks for making my point) I can wait till after the game to see how wrong my analysis was off.
    No, that was against the Raiders. Nicks had nothing to do with it. Literally.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I did not see him make many plays on D during camp, BB must think that His value on ST will be that of Tracy White/Larry Izzo/Kourtivides role. Guys who follow TC even closer than I say he shows awareness in space, the guys that show that trait always seem to make the best ST guys.

Yeah, I am surprised also about the jets not farming in their own back yard. The only thing I can think of is Rex likes flashy players (except for Leonard) and Rutgers just seem to produce more of the solid but with more of a limited upside players.
    Last edited by patman; 09-02-2013 at 10:06 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I did not see him make many plays on D during camp, BB must think that His value on ST will be that of Tracy White/Larry Izzo/Kourtivides role. Guys who follow TC even closer than I say he shows awareness in space, the guys that show that trait always seem to make the best ST guys.
    I'm a Rutgers Alum as well, and the guy is a good player. It pains me that he's in NE, and BB will get the most of him as he does with all his players.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

Ha ha, that is hilarious. Here's Raider talking chit & 18% of his rushing yards were against the lowly raiders,lol.
    No wonder Martin is etched in your mind, it must have been like playing techmo bowl using Bo Jackson.
    Martin only went over 100 yards 5 times, he had 251 vs Raiders, he 139 vs Panthers when Charles Johnson went down, 128 vs Philly who's D was horrible, 142 vs Atlanta, no Abraham & everyone knows the Falcons have one of the smallest Dlines in the league & the 24th ranked D.
    Vikings were the only defense in the top 10 that he went over 100, barely.
    I like our chances of shutting him down as Cro is the perfect size to go solo on Jackson allowing Landry to keep his nose in the backfield.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we have a TD advantage based on home field. If we don't give the ball up we win this game easy. The biggest disadvantage would be nerves of the starting QB in his first NFL game.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Defensive game plan is simple: keep Martin under control, force Freeman to beat you.

Offense: limit turnovers, convert scoring opportunities.

regardless of who's our QB, if we accomplish the above it should be enough to beat Tampa at home.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just to clarify - when I mentioned pressure up the middle I didn't really mean from our NTs, moreso from Wilkerson and Richardson playing as DTs on rush downs. Our NTs aren't big pass rushers but I do think the size advantage should play a role on Sunday.

As for the hurry up - the jets struggle vs that type of offense but the much bigger question is if freeman can run that type of offense. Accuracy isn't his strong suit and given the heat and lack of depth behind Martin I don't think that's a smart way to use their best weapon. Martin has played very little in the preseason (missed last 2 games) so tiring him out early carries a lot of risk.