Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets sign QB Brady Quinn, release QB Harrell

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    please just cut Mark..Tank for Teddy in full effect?
    Teddy is not good enough to tank a season for. He is not Manning or Luck.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Last year the Colts played the suck for luck game do the jets play dead for Ted in 2013?? And will that put a hex on Rex when they cut the Mex??

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    Exactly. Another useless signing (Ray Ray please read above).
    I don't make my opinion from brain dead moron reporters who don't have a clue and pull **** out of their ass and try to pawn it off as reporting..

I rely on the info put out by actual NFL experts, such as our QB coach...

Brady Quinn strives to be more than Denver Broncos' backup quarter

By Mike Klis
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 08/19/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT
    Updated: 08/19/2011 11:21:30 AM MDT

Not all business was hurt by the NFL lockout.
    David Lee is in the business of coaching quarterbacks for going on 37 years. He once coached Tony Romo in Dallas, Chad Pennington in Miami and, this past spring and summer, after he took a job as the University of Mississippi's new offensive coordinator, Lee moonlighted his expertise with the likes of famous Ole Miss alum Eli Manning, his more famous brother Peyton Manning and Broncos backup quarterback Brady Quinn.

"I'm going to tell you this right now: Brady Quinn has a stronger arm than both the Manning brothers," Lee said. "No question. I worked them all out."
    Not that the Mannings don't have a few things on Quinn. Like their combined two Super Bowl championships, and 545 more touchdown passes and 75,572 more passing yards. Quinn begrudges none of the Mannings' accomplishments. All he wants is a chance.
    During the past month of training camp at Dove Valley, the buzz about the Broncos has been Orton and Tebow, Tebow or Orton. But while the Broncos' quarterback drama between Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow has generated virtually all discussion around the Denver-area coffee machines, it was Quinn who outperformed them both in the team's first preseason game last Thursday at Dallas.

Orton led the Broncos to a field goal during his only drive. Tebow generated two field goals in 1 1/2 quarters. Quinn not only led the Broncos to two touchdowns, both touchdowns came in the fourth quarter.
    When evaluating quarterbacks, extra credit should be given to touchdowns in the fourth quarter.

"I feel like I can compete with anyone, given a fair chance," Quinn said. "I mean, heck, throwing to (starting receiver) Brandon Lloyd every play? Give me that chance."
    With a little more patience, Quinn may get his wish. It's difficult to ask patience of a guy who didn't play a down with the Broncos last year and has made only 12 starts since he was a Cleveland Browns' first-round draft pick in 2007.

But Quinn is closing in on his desire to lead a team full time, if not yet at the threshold. Since his splendid preseason performance at Dallas, Quinn has been alternating second-team reps in practice with Tebow. If Quinn can have another strong performance in the preseason game Saturday against the Buffalo Bills at Sports Authority Field at Mile High, who knows how the Broncos' quarterback rotation will shake out?

With the NFL no longer forcing teams to make a No. 3 quarterback designation on game day, there's a chance Tebow would be used for the occasional "Tebow package" plays, but Quinn would get the longer-term backup role.

And as backups are constantly reminded, they're just one play away from playing. Orton has missed at least one start to injury each of the past three seasons. With patience, the opportunity may well be there for Quinn. And if it's there, Quinn, more than in any other year, appears ready to capitalize.
    "I don't know why it is, or exactly how to explain it, but Brady is much better this year than he was last year," Broncos star cornerback Champ Bailey said. "He just seems much more confident."

It started with the lockout. Disappointed with how the 2010 season carried on without him and unable to have contact with Broncos coaches during the lockout, Quinn took the initiative.

He first sought counsel from longtime NFL and college offensive coordinator Paul Hackett. They looked at film of
    Quinn's rookie year, which included a splendid preseason debut against the Broncos. Then they looked at film of Quinn's second year of 2008, when he made an impressive starting regular-season debut, again against the Broncos.

Then they looked at his third year, when Quinn's career moved beyond stalled and into a full-blown struggle.
    "Paul went through process of where I was, what had happened, and why it happened," Quinn said. "I was contemplating making myself available for a baseball tryout, just for something to do during the lockout. I said, 'Hey, what do you think about this?' "

Hackett loved the idea. He wanted Quinn to play more golf, enjoy more leisure time, try out for the Rockies if he wanted.

"Good athlete, great character, leader, quarterback," said Rockies scouting director Bill Schmidt, who once used a 30th-round draft pick on a raw prospect named Michael Vick. "Yeah, we would have given him a tryout. I mean, let's be realistic, it's been 10 years since he played. I'm not sure how he would have liked riding the buses."

Quinn eventually dismissed the baseball idea. No matter how far away No. 3 on the quarterback depth chart may seem, it's closer to The Dream than the Single-A South Atlantic League.

But that wasn't the point. The point was, Quinn was thinking beyond his isolated quest of becoming not just a starting NFL quarterback, but a great one.
    "Paul believes in developing a quarterback first as a human being," Quinn said. "How you live off the field is as important as what you do on the field. He was really good as far as helping me with the psychology of playing quarterback."

His mind free, Quinn's next step was to tighten his mechanics. This is where Lee came in. Lee is big on shoulder and footwork technique that brings out the best in a passer's velocity and accuracy. There was a mechanical tweak here Lee says Peyton Manning has the best lower-body fundamentals of any quarterback who ever lived followed by 12 to 14 more workouts in Fort Lauderdale with several past and present Miami Dolphins.

By the time the lockout ended and training camp began last month, Quinn was a noticeably improved quarterback.
    "I'm telling you what, I don't care what's going on up there, but Brady Quinn is ready," Lee said. "He's ready to play. Brady Quinn is not going to go away. He is hungry."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    please just cut Mark..Tank for Teddy in full effect?
    They would have done it already if they could.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brady Quinn outplayed a certain QB in Broncos preseason but never got to play a down for them- I'm more comfortable with him as the #2 at this point than Simms because he has some pro experience and Sanchez is d-o-n-e.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    One last comment, when/if Masrk comes back, if we keep Quinn over Simms, I will be pissed as ****. /out.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    One can only dream of being in the Jadaveon Clowney sweepstakes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    It's useless because he's crap as the quote confirms, he's worse than Sanchez and doesn't know our offense. If Geno goes down, we are better off using Matt Simms as a #2 and signing a developmental, young #3 with potential.
    Simms fits your #3 definition...So who do you want as #3 according to your definition?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dianna Russini ‏@DRussNBC 3m
    Just talked to NFL scout: #Jets signing Quinn to help your offense is like having a cold and asking someone with the flu to sneeze on you.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    One last comment, when/if Masrk comes back, if we keep Quinn over Simms, I will be pissed as ****. /out.
    That's not going to happen. The fact that they cut McElroy proves that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @BobGlauber: Person familiar w Jets' QBs on if Quinn a threat to Sanchez on roster: "God no. Brady Quinn? Are you serious? He has failed on four teams."
    Rich Cimini‏@RichCimini1h
    Clearly, Sanchez injury worse than team letting on. Also, I don't think #Jets would sign Quinn for 1 or 2 games. Idzik really likes him.

Idzik likes Quinn. Whatever you think of Cimini, he named Idzik as liking Quinn.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Especially this year, I would rather have a promising young guy like Simms as backup than a journeyman like Quinn. Let's face it, all the moves point to Sanchez being more hurt than iniitial reports, so if Geno is injured/benched Id rather give Simms a shot because at that point the season would likely be lost anyway.
    +1 He looks like he has a chance to be a really good QB. We know what Quinn is. I think Simms is much better at this point. How could you put someone that has had no success in the NFL and doesn't know our system, in front of a promising young QB with talent and a hot hand?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Probably a torn labrum. Quinn is awful though. But you need a vet if sanchez is gone.
    I haven't followed his career but remember when he was drafted he had set 35 records at Notre Dame. A top pick in the draft that failed to live up to his expectations.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I had the same question. Why continue to have him taking up a valuable roster spot if you know you're going to IR him? If you're going to do it, just do it, and sign a recently waived guy who could help the team at S, TE, LB!
    Because until he's getting in the way of another player, until you know 100% that he's not going to be able to play, whats the up side?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Rich Cimini‏@RichCimini1h
    Clearly, Sanchez injury worse than team letting on. Also, I don't think #Jets would sign Quinn for 1 or 2 games. Idzik really likes him.

Idzik likes Quinn. Whatever you think of Cimini, he named Idzik as liking Quinn.
    And where did he get that information? This is the first I heard that.

And again, why didn't Idzik release Sanchez immediately then?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Wolfe View Post
    lmao so if geno and Simms go down, this is who we're stick with?

What a circus!
    Please name all the teams that if their starting QB and then their 2nd string QB goes down has as good a chance as the Jets with Quinn at QB.

Or had a better 3rd string QB.

You actually have to use your head when making SOJF comments.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    And where did he get that information? This is the first I heard that.

And again, why didn't Idzik release Sanchez immediately then?
    From a person familiar with the Jet's thinking.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    No because you need an experienced QB on the roster. Period. 3 young QBs is asking for trouble.
    He's experienced in failing. I never understand people. When a guy stinks, it's next man up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    "Person familier with Jets QBs" - what does that mean? It doesn't say someone who is in Jets organization, it just says someone familier with QBs. If someone within the football structure felt that way about Quinn, he wouldn't have been signed in the first place.
    Incarceratedbob?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Refuel View Post
    Huh? Rex has a way better chance of sticking around without Sanchez playing, given that guys like Geno and Simms will get passes for certain mistakes while Sanchez will get no such accommodation. Why would Sanchez to the IR be "bye-bye Rex"?
    Don't bother anyone who would say this isn't capable of conscious rational thought.