Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets sign QB Brady Quinn, release QB Harrell

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Teddy is not good enough to tank a season for. He is not Manning or Luck.
    I agree.. But i won't be upset either if jets are bad enough that we are in a position to grab him or trade him..

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    , Geno is afforded a period of poor play ala E. Manning when he was a rookie. n.
    Eli went 1 and 6 and thru 48.2 completion% ,we should have a lot of room for Geno. I know he came highly regarded and has won 2 SB. But he has the biggest ass and is the most overrated QB ever.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    One last comment, when/if Masrk comes back, if we keep Quinn over Simms, I will be pissed as ****. /out.
    +1

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I'm a Jet fan who can see the forest for the trees. Their roster and schedule is pointing them towards having a crappy year, which is not a bad thing in the long run. Rex gets fired and Idzik has 12 draft picks to work with next year.
    No, you're a blind SOJF looking for something to whine about.

Happens to some. Unfortunately they all gravitate to the internet and believe this makes them realists. When you start off being afraid of a schedule in a league that makes its schedule to promote parity and over teams who's strengths your less equipped to rate than the Jets you've said it all

Even though they're on the hook for the entire salary, the Jets could release Sanchez and take an enormous salary-cap hit.
    This is a quote from Cimini's article... and this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Why would they take an enormous cap hit (next year btw) if you're on the hook anyway?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    Really good backup? He started 16 games between his time with the Browns and the Chiefs. How many were wins? 4.

But I guess that's like almost 50% or something when seen through the green colored glasses that have made Sanchez look like a franchise QB for four years..
    So which NFL backup QBs can you list who would have been winners with the Quinn Browns or Chiefs?

Help a GM out

Quote Originally Posted by sevomd View Post
    This is a quote from Cimini's article... and this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Why would they take an enormous cap hit (next year btw) if you're on the hook anyway?
    He's completely wrong. Our cap hit would be exactly the same as if he played and cut in Feb because of the June 1 rule

Veteran
    To clarify my statement - Brady Quinn gives this team a vet backup in case of an injury to G. Smith. If Sanchez remains on the roster as the primary back-up, if Geno plays poorly for a stretch the media will badger Rex about going back to Sanchez. If Quinn is the primary backup, Geno is afforded a period of poor play ala E. Manning when he was a rookie. I feel it important for a young QB to experience growing pains and still know that there is no threat of being pulled, you may not agree with me but that is just my opinion.
    Actually, wasn't it sort of controversial that the Giants sat Kurt Warner to start Eli midway through the season? Warner had a much better resume than Sanchez does now, but I get your point. I believe that whoever the backup for Geno turns out to be needs to understand he will not be starting at any point this season (unless for injury). If we go with Geno we need to go all in. This year is a total gimme.

Quote Originally Posted by Refuel View Post
    Huh? Rex has a way better chance of sticking around without Sanchez playing, given that guys like Geno and Simms will get passes for certain mistakes while Sanchez will get no such accommodation. Why would Sanchez to the IR be "bye-bye Rex"?
    Because he got the only legitimate starting QB hurt trying to win a meaningless game. Sanchez was going to keep the seat warm for Geno until he was ready to play, now that won't happen. Geno is a project, like Simms in a way, not close to being NFL ready. Now the Jets don't have the luxury of giving him more time to develop, and throwing him to the wolves. If Sanchez got hurt in the first quarter vsTampa, like Vinny did so many years ago, well, that's football. When your coach gets your starter hurt in the 4th quarter of a pre-season game, because he thinks that game is vital to win, then you have to question his decision making ability. Is this guy competent to lead a team? Unfortunately, this is the latest, and hopefully last, example of what a horrible leader Rex is. Sanchez to the IR, which would mean the end of his season, should be the last straw. He has to go.

All League
    Bingo!! A legit backup with NFL experience. Sanchez will be IRd or released.

1. Geno Smith
    2. Brady Quinn
    3. Matt Simms

In other words, we allow Geno to play with no one looking over his back.
    A week ago when we signed Harrell I thought ok well, he's just a short gap measure for Sanchez for the next week or so. Now I'm thinking they could possibly be doing this b/c they have a short plan for Sanchez. Either they will designate him on the IR or PUP list or they can just flat out release him. Interesting next week or so.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Luck and RGIII were top 10 picks. Geno was thought to be but he fell to the second round for a reason.
    So you base your talent evaluations of you team to others. You have no faith in Idzik.

He thought he was 1st round talent, thought about taking Geno in the first. That would have made you happy? Idzik rightfully looked at who stood between the Jets 7th overall and their 2nd round pick and thought that Geno could still be there. He bought himself a better draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    One last comment, when/if Masrk comes back, if we keep Quinn over Simms, I will be pissed as ****. /out.
    Fair point, but there is zero indication that will happen. Basically we signed Harrell as depth and once there was a better version available, we swapped out Harrell for Quinn. Its just smart management.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
    +1 He looks like he has a chance to be a really good QB. We know what Quinn is. I think Simms is much better at this point. How could you put someone that has had no success in the NFL and doesn't know our system, in front of a promising young QB with talent and a hot hand?
    Bad decisions are made all the time. Players are evaluated on a given day which may be deceptive. Anybody can have a bad day. I like Simms from what I've seen in preseason. I saw Quinn in college and also thru lasers. He seems to have Sanchez's habit of screwing up when it counts.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    We could ask you the same thing. He got cut from the RAIDERS, the RAIDERS. They have such a long history of positive moves. Brady Quinn is useless; he doesn't know the offense if Geno goes down so stop acting like he's a viable backup for us right now.
    What are you talking about, he replaced Harrell, not Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    What are you talking about, he replaced Harrell, not Sanchez.
    Yes, everybody knows that. But, Sanchez is hurt so Quinn is, in essence, the backup now.

Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Because he got the only legitimate starting QB hurt trying to win a meaningless game. Sanchez was going to keep the seat warm for Geno until he was ready to play, now that won't happen. Geno is a project, like Simms in a way, not close to being NFL ready. Now the Jets don't have the luxury of giving him more time to develop, and throwing him to the wolves. If Sanchez got hurt in the first quarter vsTampa, like Vinny did so many years ago, well, that's football. When your coach gets your starter hurt in the 4th quarter of a pre-season game, because he thinks that game is vital to win, then you have to question his decision making ability. Is this guy competent to lead a team? Unfortunately, this is the latest, and hopefully last, example of what a horrible leader Rex is. Sanchez to the IR, which would mean the end of his season, should be the last straw. He has to go.
    Dude you really just call mark Sanchez legitimate ? Lol.. You know more than Marty about geno being ready? Sanchez clearly isn't ready even in his 5th yr.. Geno has potential to get better each game.. While Sanchez can't get Better even in yr to yr..

All Pro
    I stand by my original statement that Sanchez's injury is much more serious than anyone let on, and almost certainly a reinjury of the previous injury he sustained in Jacksonville and/or Baltimore that they have been hiding ever since. Or trying to - it's not like his play wasn't an indicator.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
    +1 He looks like he has a chance to be a really good QB. We know what Quinn is. I think Simms is much better at this point. How could you put someone that has had no success in the NFL and doesn't know our system, in front of a promising young QB with talent and a hot hand?
    And if Geno is hurt you know who would replace Geno as the starter how?

You couldn't see that if Simms shows more in practices than Quinn that he would play? Why not?

Ans Simms wouldn't need a backup in case those who think hes a can't miss are wrong or his spleen explodes like his brothers did?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Probably a torn labrum. Quinn is awful though. But you need a vet if sanchez is gone.
    Quinn is awful.
    We are all in agreement on that.

Why Quinn over McElroy?
    IR/PUP for Sanchez regardless...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    So the guy, Idzik, who completely disagrees with everything you said will fire Rex for agreeing with him that Geno should start? Because the guy you like got a injury doing his job.