Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MM's Offense

All League

MM's Offense

For all you "X's and O's" guys out there in JI land:

I know you can never read too much into the preseason, but it's hard not to notice the difference between this year and last in terms of offensive production. I keep hearing about how Marty Mornhinweg's approach is one in which is "quarterback friendly" and "scheme's guys open". What I want to know is: what specifically is he doing to make this happen? I noticed a lot more screen attempts in the presesaon this year, but other than that, it's hard to tell specifically what else he's doing to establish his offense. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Green&White51 View Post

I know you can never read too much into the preseason, but it's hard not to notice the difference between this year and last in terms of offensive production. I keep hearing about how Marty Mornhinweg's approach is one in which is "quarterback friendly" and "scheme's guys open". What I want to know is: what specifically is he doing to make this happen? I noticed a lot more screen attempts in the presesaon this year, but other than that, it's hard to tell specifically what else he's doing to establish his offense. Thanks guys.
    He definitely runs deeper crossing routes which forces the defense to play on their heels a little more. It's like a cat & mouse game, get them to play off, throw underneath, they move up cut them deep in the seam.
    Your completion % will go down but it allows you to throw underneath & to use the RBs more in the draw game when you get them back on their heels.
    MM is a little more of a gambler & your Oline has got to hold up to get that split second more you need to stretch a route.
    I think it's really smart considering the puzzy rules. A couple of long PIs can change a game.
    Remember last year vs the Pats & that horrible PI called in Gillette after we got the go ahead FG.
    Pats don't get that call Jets win the game, it was on 3rd down.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    He definitely runs deeper crossing routes which forces the defense to play on their heels a little more. It's like a cat & mouse game, get them to play off, throw underneath, they move up cut them deep in the seam.
    Your completion % will go down but it allows you to throw underneath & to use the RBs more in the draw game when you get them back on their heels.
    MM is a little more of a gambler & your Oline has got to hold up to get that split second more you need to stretch a route.
    I think it's really smart considering the puzzy rules. A couple of long PIs can change a game.
    Remember last year vs the Pats & that horrible PI called in Gillette after we got the go ahead FG.
    Pats don't get that call Jets win the game, it was on 3rd down
    That's a good point and something that I really didn't think about. Those PI calls are such a big part of the game these days.

That's a good point and something that I really didn't think about. Those PI calls are such a big part of the game these days.
    It's a great strategy vs Belichick.
    He has been able to just crowd the LOS against us & cause a bunch of TOs & ground our run game. We have to get the Pats to back off of our WRs so we can match up with their LBs underneath with some space to move. That is where Genos athleticism comes into play, he doesn't have to run just buy some time.
    My thoughts are that unlike Sanchez, MM will tell Geno, if you see green take what you can get & slide down & give yourself up.
    Something Sanchez for some crazy reason, still can't do after 4 years of QBing

All League
    Whatever it takes to beat the Pats.

This is obviously nothing earth shattering but he seems to have a very good package of screen plays. Geno will probably throw about 15 screen passes Sunday.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Eagles could not get it done and they had the D so dont get too excited once they get the players they will entertain and compete.

Quote Originally Posted by nyjfollower View Post
    This is obviously nothing earth shattering but he seems to have a very good package of screen plays. Geno will probably throw about 15 screen passes Sunday.
    He likes to lull you with those screens & then Bam, go for the whole enchilada.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    OMG

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    He likes to lull you with those screens & then Bam, go for the whole enchilada.
    This is why Sanchez should start

Quote Originally Posted by Bocajetfan68 View Post
    What if he said "smorgasbord"? We'd need to trade for Big Ben?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    What if he said "smorgasbord"? We'd need to trade for Big Ben?
    No that would be wenershnitzel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bocajetfan68 View Post
    15 picks off screens, 1 TD off a bomb to a WIDE OPEN Hill, who has to stop and do a cartwheel in order to catch it.

Sign me up!!!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

lolol ... he had a wr delay halfway through his crossing pattern for 1/2 a second to open up space against the eagles as well

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Eagles could not get it done and they had the D so dont get too excited once they get the players they will entertain and compete.
    Is that one sentence?

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    The Eagles where robbed by Billacheat lol

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    I can read this much....last pre season the jets were pretty much last in every offensive facet and it showed in the regular season...this pre season they were top 5 in everything...it will show in 2013...this team will compete.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    I can read this much....last pre season the jets were pretty much last in every offensive facet and it showed in the regular season...this pre season they were top 5 in everything...it will show in 2013...this team will compete.
    Again, I know its pre season but I don't recall one delay of game penalty....

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Good point...that was a major issue last year.

Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    Again, I know its pre season but I don't recall one delay of game penalty....

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

Hall Of Fame
    In layman's terms you won't see three WRs all within 5 yards of each other like we had in years past. You won't see the QB taken off the field to run the wildcat after he has completed 3 throws in a row.