Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Somebody please explain to me

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Somebody please explain to me

1) Why is Rex Ryan still the head coach?
    2) Why Idzik wasn't allowed to bring in his own guy?
    "Because Woody Johnson is the owner and he said so," is not acceptable. Anything along those lines is unacceptable. If Woody's latest comments regarding Sanchez are not proof that he's a clueless dolt then I got some magic beans you may be interested in.

Just to cut this off, too: Whatever defensive dominance you are going to point at will be quickly negated by utter offensive ineptitude, even in 2009 and 2010.

I'd like to head that reasoning off at the pass.

If you think this Jets team will win more than 4 games, I'm especially interested in your take within the parameters defined above.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe because Rex is still under contract and he didn't want to pay for 2 GMs AND 2 head coaches.......

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    $

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    "Because Woody Johnson is the owner and he said so," is not acceptable. Anything along those lines is unacceptable. If Woody's latest comments regarding Sanchez are not proof that he's a clueless dolt then I got some magic beans you may be interested in.

Just to cut this off, too: Whatever defensive dominance you are going to point at will be quickly negated by utter offensive ineptitude, even in 2009 and 2010.

If you think this Jets team will win more than 4 games, I'm especially interested in your take within the parameters defined above.
    I'll give you my answer which is not necessarally the consensus. Rex is popular. Rex alway brings a great Defense to the table.
    Idzik will control Rex and let Marty make most of the Offensive decisions. Rex works good with the other coaches. Rex puts a$$es in the seats.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Maybe because Rex is still under contract and he didn't want to pay for 2 GMs AND 2 head coaches.......
    that too.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those contracts are like a pair of tighty whiteys to him.

Nevermind, it's Woody, so it makes sense to him. God we're completely boned until this guy is not the owner, aren't we?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont get it either. As much as I dislike Rex at this point I cant stand Woody even more. He is a complete moron who really shouldnt be the teams owner. Best thing that could happen would be for him to sell the team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Nevermind, it's Woody, so it makes sense to him. God we're completely boned until this guy is not the owner, aren't we?
    long story short yes.....

but I still hold hope that if he STFU and let Idzik run the team that we can become good in a few years......

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceMehl View Post
    I dont get it either. As much as I dislike Rex at this point I cant stand Woody even more. He is a complete moron who really shouldnt be the teams owner. Best thing that could happen would be for him to sell the team.
    You're right; he should hire a no-nonsense Italian coach....oh wait

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    long story short yes.....

but I still hold hope that if he STFU and let Idzik run the team that we can become good in a few years......
    I question Idzik, too. Why do you draft Smith if you are likely a top 5 picking team next year and Boyd, Manziel, and Bridgewater are all coming out? Really effing dumb.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Because Woody did not want to pay 20 million dollars to the HC position for the next 2 years. It's really as simple as that. He's paying something like 5 to rex each year, which he would continue to have to pay him if they fire him, plus he'd have to pay anther 5 or so to the new hire. Woody decided that personnel is the main issue on this team (he's right about that), and decided to replace the guy in charge of that personnel. He knows this is probably a throwaway year given that we're stuck with either Sanchez or a rookie, so why not pay out the current coach for the meantime and re-evaluate next year? Rex has a ton of flaws and I have been on record as not being a big fan of his, but he does have redeeming qualities (most obviously on defense). Bringing in Morninghweg and telling Rex to stay out of the offensive decisions was by far and away the smartest FO decision this team has made in the past 4 years. Believe it or not this season might just work because of the fact we have the most competent people making decisions on both sides of the ball. I liken us to Remember the Titans, where we essentially have 2 head coaches. Morninghweg's guys are going to play on offense. Morninghweg's plays are going to be called. There will be no Rex Ryan patented "red light, green light" philosophy. There will be no "ground and pound". There will only be what Marty wants on offense. Marty is smart enough to know what the situation calls for, and he'll make those calls independent of Rex. This is what allows Rex the time to call plays on defense. This is why he probably actually WASN'T watching when Sanchez threw his picks and Geno was injured and made his mistakes. Because Rex is no longer a part of the offensive side of the game.

This all makes for a very easy decision at the end of the year. If this formula actually squeezes more out of the personnel than is expected and we win alot of games, Rex and Marty will get extensions. If not Rex will be gone and Idzik will bring in his guy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I question Idzik, too. Why do you draft Smith if you are likely a top 5 picking team next year and Boyd, Manziel, and Bridgewater are all coming out? Really effing dumb.
    eh, won't kill him for that.....

keep drafting a QB until you find one. There is no "Luck" or "RG3" in next year's draft either contrary to popular belief.....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    So we should go back to the Hess days when we rarely made the playoffs. We make the playoffs and Don Shula keeps field uncovered to allow Mud Bowl. We hire Rich Kotite. Woody's worse decisions usually are better than Leon's were. Granted if Idzik gets rid of Rex and Tanny then next year looks even better but we are stuck with the girl we came with for now

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously? Your QB situation is a disaster and the consensus number 1 QB in the draft falls into your lap in the 2nd round and its "dumb" to pick him? Give me a break. A 2nd round QB pick won't prevent them from picking another QB next year, either, so what's the big deal?

As for Rex, I love the guy and think it would be a huge mistake if they let him go. Don't know or care WHY they didn't fire him, be it money or Woody's affinity for Rex. Just happy he's still here, and if the Jets play hard this year, there's no reason for him not to be here next season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was a behind the scenes conversation btwn Woody and Idzik where Woody explain the situation and said, "Try Rex for one year. And then you make the decision if you want to keep him or not."

Its very simple really. The bears just did this and after a year, even though Lovie won 10 games, Emory shipped him out the door and brought his own guy in.

Idzik has no intention of keeping Rex no matter what he does. he will bring in offensive minded Darrel Bevell from the seahawks to run the ship next year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder how far into the preseason you'd get before clamoring for the next year's rookie prospect?

Hey! If we're absolutely horrible every year we can get the most over-hyped player in every draft and change our awful coaches every 2 years!

That sounds like a BLAST!!!

(you really must be miserable)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    There was a behind the scenes conversation btwn Woody and Idzik where Woody explain the situation and said, "Try Rex for one year. And then you make the decision if you want to keep him or not."

Its very simple really. The bears just did this and after a year, even though Lovie won 10 games, Emory shipped him out the door and brought his own guy in.

Idzik has no intention of keeping Rex no matter what he does. he will bring in offensive minded Darrel Bevell from the seahawks to run the ship next year.
    LOL,You do realize that Rex interviewed Idzik and gave his blessing on Idzik (to Woody). They now have a symbiotic relationship.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because a GM doesnt look at a draft 2 years down the road and says "we are LIKELY to have a top 5 pick so I will get a QB then". Some of you people really have no clue.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, because the Jets have had NO success, since Woody became the owner. Pining for the Leon Hess years? Who cares what Woody SAYS? He has spent money and tried to win, he's put people in place, to try to achieve that goal.... he has not interfered with his "football people's" ability to do that, regardless of what personnel decisions you want to blame him for--- with no proof, just opinion.

Really effing dumb is going into a season, assuming you're going to lose, then planning accordingly..... as if next year's QB class is SOOO amazing. That would be what "really great" organizations do, right? Why not just tank for the next few years? That FSU kid will be coming out, eventually.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post

Don't cry when Rex gets extended this offseason.....