Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Interesting note on Josh Freeman - not team captain this year

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornwood, NY
    Posts
    5,580
    Post Thanks / Like

    Interesting note on Josh Freeman - not team captain this year

    Just heard this on ESPN radio. Josh Freeman was not voted team captain this year (he was last season and maybe the one before). They were making this out to be a very big vote of no confidence by the coaching staff in regards to his ability to lead the team. Sounds like a pig ripe for the slaughter to me.

  2. #2
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    818
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like Santonio Holmes Last Year ....

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,658
    Post Thanks / Like
    My memory is probably failing me, but Tone wasn't stripped of captaincy, was he? I only recall us doing away with it all together.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,913
    Post Thanks / Like
    Freeman was fighting for his job. TB has a college coach that has no clue how to use him right. Greg will be back in the NCAA next year very likely. TB doesnt have a very good DL and he is not a good enough xo guy to make that O work. He is a steak and eggs guy with no clue how to break down a real NFL D.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,374
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    My memory is probably failing me, but Tone wasn't stripped of captaincy, was he? I only recall us doing away with it all together.
    No, you're correct. Players voted on captains until 2011, when Rex appointed captains. Then after the Holmes fiasco at the end of the year, Rex decided there wouldn't be any captains for 2012 (except for the coin toss "captains").

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,599
    Post Thanks / Like
    Schiano apparently does not like Freeman very much and he performed really poorly down the stretch. I think we have the better QB going into the game.

  7. #7
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    332
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Freeman was fighting for his job. TB has a college coach that has no clue how to use him right. Greg will be back in the NCAA next year very likely. TB doesnt have a very good DL and he is not a good enough xo guy to make that O work. He is a steak and eggs guy with no clue how to break down a real NFL D.
    A JAG coach. There's quite a few of them in the NFL. Sparano is another JAG coach.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,658
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by houyx View Post
    A JAG coach. There's quite a few of them in the NFL. Sparano is another JAG coach.
    You mean Schiano? lol

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,247
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodjet View Post
    Like Santonio Holmes Last Year ....
    Exactly. Look how we did when we named him captain and then pulled it from him. That drama didn't exactly lead to winning seasons.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,629
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by houyx View Post
    A JAG coach. There's quite a few of them in the NFL. Sparano is another JAG coach.
    JAG implies replacement level. Sparano was way below replacement level. The sunglasses at night were a big warning.

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    35,665
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Schiano apparently does not like Freeman very much and he performed really poorly down the stretch. I think we have the better QB going into the game.
    Whoa nelly! Let's not talk crazy here. Our guy hasn't thrown a single NFL pass.

  12. #12
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    332
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    You mean Schiano? lol
    No, Sparano. The Jet's OC last year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    JAG implies replacement level. Sparano was way below replacement level. The sunglasses at night were a big warning.
    Yeah, I guess you have a point. Sparano was terrible. He has been coaching for the last few years based on reputation from 1 good year with the Dolphins.
    Last edited by houyx; 09-07-2013 at 03:07 AM.

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to defend him as a coach but he did have a medical condition from burns to his eyes that required tinted glasses. What's next at JI, making fun of people with cancer?

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    And yes Greg Schiano is another college boy like Holtz, Spurrier, Petrino and Saban in way over his head in the NFL. His attempts to injure defensive schemes on kneel down plays is your best example. Look for him back in the corrupt land of the NCAA soon

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,629
    Post Thanks / Like
    Saban was not over his head as a HC or as a DC in the NFL. He had a lousy team and did not have the patience to wait it out. Petrino just did not like the NFL. Holtz tried to run it like a college program and Spurrior thought he could coach it as a 40 hour job. So those two I agree with, but Saban and Petrino (Who Coughlin said was the best coach he ever worked with) are another matter entirely.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Upper East Side
    Posts
    6,734
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Saban was not over his head as a HC or as a DC in the NFL. He had a lousy team and did not have the patience to wait it out. Petrino just did not like the NFL. Holtz tried to run it like a college program and Spurrior thought he could coach it as a 40 hour job. So those two I agree with, but Saban and Petrino (Who Coughlin said was the best coach he ever worked with) are another matter entirely.
    I don't know how you can say Petrino left the NFL because "he didn't like it." He was an unmitigated disaster in every sense of the word, his team was horrible, his players hated him, and he was a gutless coward who left a note saying "I quit" who is NOT respected in most NFL circles.

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    My memory is probably failing me, but Tone wasn't stripped of captaincy, was he? I only recall us doing away with it all together.
    Ryan then reverted to multiple captains to dilute Santonio's ego.

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bayonne, NJ
    Posts
    2,861
    Post Thanks / Like
    after college, the captain thing is very childish... it is the pros, leaders come out without having to have a title.

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    42,979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I don't know how you can say Petrino left the NFL because "he didn't like it." He was an unmitigated disaster in every sense of the word, his team was horrible, his players hated him, and he was a gutless coward who left a note saying "I quit" who is NOT respected in most NFL circles.
    I wonder if he learned that from BB??

  20. #20
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Saban was not over his head as a HC or as a DC in the NFL. He had a lousy team and did not have the patience to wait it out. Petrino just did not like the NFL. Holtz tried to run it like a college program and Spurrior thought he could coach it as a 40 hour job. So those two I agree with, but Saban and Petrino (Who Coughlin said was the best coach he ever worked with) are another matter entirely.
    As usual

    Wrong as rain

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us