Thread: On Santonio Holmes' return...and concerns for Sunday?

Veteran

On Santonio Holmes' return...and concerns for Sunday?

The latest reports are saying Holmes will play in a limited role on Sunday. We could see a motivated Holmes looking to compete against #24 and demonstrate the kind of athlete we all know he is. Or, Revis gets the best of him and a frustrated Holmes displays the antics of a petulant child both disrupting the team and the huddle with the Jets new quarterback. Would anyone be shocked if Holmes was the cause of crucial 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty? Holmes is certainly the best weapon the Jets have on offense. Nevertheless, the risk is not worth the reward with this guy. Cut him. Cut Sanchez. Move on.

I really have a pretty good feeling that the Jets will play well Sunday. A lot of negative press brings out that angry Jets team that almost always wins. My biggest concern is the above.

What are you concerned about this Sunday?
    Last edited by RoadFan; 09-06-2013 at 12:03 AM.

I can't decide whether I am more concerned for the team to see Holmes back on the field or concerned not to see him on the field. Our offense definitely took a deep dive after his injury last season, although he was not the only reason for the decline. I think defenses pay a lot of attention to him and for that we need him on the field.

I am mostly excited to see how the team comes together for a season game. I have higher hopes than a 4-12 season but I think Geno is a big question mark. I haven't seen enough of his play to make up my mind. I hope he plays in a way that makes up my mind that he is either the best #2 we have had in a long time or the new #1.

How much activity has Holmes participated in since being hurt last year? I think his productivity on Sunday would be lacking...

If we "need" Holmes to have a big day, we're probably going to lose.

That doesn't mean he can't/won't, but I think it will come down to many other factors (OL and DL, limit/create TOs, keep penalties down). I don't see Holmes being the make-or-break spotlight of this game . . .

All League
    With Holmes contractual situation it would be foolish to cut him. He is going to be EXTREMELY motivated all year to produce because
    its more than likely Idzik won't pick up his contract next year. With that being a real possibility he needs to show the rest of the league
    he's healthy and can still produce

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    With Holmes contractual situation it would be foolish to cut him. He is going to be EXTREMELY motivated all year to produce because
    its more than likely Idzik won't pick up his contract next year. With that being a real possibility he needs to show the rest of the league
    It would be nice to get him some 15 - 20 yd passes early in the game. He has excellent hands and with his 38 inch vertical he is a big target.

All Pro
    This!

If Holmes is ready to go Sunday, you throw him out there....

He'll keep his head in the game....he has no other choice at this point.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbstraKt View Post
    How much activity has Holmes participated in since being hurt last year? I think his productivity on Sunday would be lacking...
    More than Revis.

I love how the national media just gives Revis a pass. The guy hasn't played a single down of football since he got hurt.....yet he is going to dominate the Jets on Sunday.

Of course, if he was on the Jets, the story would be that the Jets were silly to give him a contract, overpaid for him, he's rusty, unproven and has likely lost a few steps because of the injury.

Oh well......what are you going to do? Let's just hope the Jets come out and prove everyone wrong.

yep

Holmes is easily the most explosive player on the Jets offense. Period.
    Yes he is coming off an injury, but that doesn't mean he wont be effective or we shouldn't play him. Should Adrian Peterson not have been used coming off a major ACL injury?
    You play Holmes for as long as he wants and the Jets have to hope he quickly gets into game shape.

As others have mentioned, Holmes knows he has to have a productive year to obtain a new contract after the season is over.
    In Sports, nothing is more motivating to a player then the almighty dollar.

How utterly convenient for that clown to miss all of camp and 'get better' in time for the season to start. Low character, massively overrated as a player paid as a #1, acts like a #1 but plays like #2.

All Pro
    Don't expect much from Holmes Sunday coming off the serious injury but also don't expect any unspportsmanlike conduct penalties either. When he has been childish it has been with his teammates, not throwing helmets, taunting, etc...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    If the sun rises in the morning, we're probably going to lose.
    . . .
    Worst "fans" on earth

Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    Don't expect much from Holmes Sunday coming off the serious injury but also don't expect any unspportsmanlike conduct penalties either. When he has been childish it has been with his teammates, not throwing helmets, taunting, etc...
    Also, more importantly, this is a contract year for Holmes. So he has to be on his best behavior and play well for his next contract.

Veteran
    I understand all of this. However, do you think any of this outweighs his bad attitude? We have all worked with someone similar to him. A guy like Holmes can single-handedly lower the morale of the entire office. I think it is a bad idea to have him in the huddle with a rookie QB, especially if some of the pre-draft reports about Geno are correct. He needs team-oriented, positive guys around him. Holmes' talent and 8 million are not worth the damage he might do.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Motivation is no substitute for time on the practice field, especially when it comes to a WR developing timing, cohesion, etc with a QB, let alone a first year QB who has also been sidelined by injury.

Very different than a CB like Revis, who job it usually is to follow the #1 receiver. For Revis, it is basically about whether he is physically recovered from his injury.

Waterboy
    I really can't stand the guy. He's a baby and a primadonna. I can see him being motivated this yr, but it'll take alot of time to knock off the rust. I'd hate to have him be a negative influence on Geno, but I could see that happening. He can't be gone fast enough