Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SC Retiring the "Buttfumble" from Worst of the Worst

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

SC Retiring the "Buttfumble" from Worst of the Worst

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/litera...s-retiring-it/

Literally Nothing Could Be Worse Than ‘The Butt Fumble’ So SportsCenter Is Retiring It

For 40 weeks, a nation doubled over in uproarious laughter as it watched the epitome of failure that is Mark Sanchez running into his own teammate’s butt and decided, no, there is nothing from the past week that is as terrible than that. That’s how SportsCenter’s weekly “Worst of the Worst” segment continued to show a play from November 2012 — until today.

Starting next week, those of you who refuse to give Fox Sports Live a chance won’t have the opportunity to vote on Sanchez’s epic mistake:

We are retiring it this week due to the start of a new NFL season, and the feeling that it was time to start fresh,” said Senior Coordinating Producer Mark Summer. “The ‘Butt Fumble’ has won the ‘Not Top 10′ each week since last Thanksgiving, and we’re not sure anything could top it.”
    Sadly, Sanchez himself won’t get a chance to start fresh, as his starting job has been handed to rookie Geno Smith while Sanchez recovers from injury. If there is any poetic justice in this world, however, Sanchez will win back the job in Week 7 and promptly figure out a way to throw a Butt Interception, or get Butt Sacked, or take a Butt Safety.

40 weeks Christ. While I was personally over it after watching it for the first 1,000 times on ESPN, I'm just so numbed over from all the humiliation of that play that I didn't really care it was still going after all this time. But finally, it's done.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't watched the clip of it on espn even once, don't know how people can watch that network

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Someone actually took the time to do a write up that the buttfumble, the most over rated, over played, over scrutinized play in the history of sport is now retired?

After ESPN needed to have their Senior Coordinating Producer release a statement?

We live in a dumber than dumb, dumbed down world.

BTW, running the wrong way with the ball, giving the other team 2 points instead of getting 6 is much worse. Not even close ESPN

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every bad play that could possibly happened in 1 game against our arch rivals the Pats. Losing 1 game didn't make much of a difference; however losing that game in Foxboro when we had the game won is the one that really hurt.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I haven't watched the clip of it on espn even once, don't know how people can watch that network
    As a poor college student with basic cable, it's really the only way to get my sports fix during the week. But agreed, ESPN is f**king awful and extremely bias.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very apropos. As the Jets pull the plug on Sanchez, ESPN pulls the plus on the Buttfumble. A new season, a new era.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Very apropos. As the Jets pull the plug on Sanchez, ESPN pulls the plus on the Buttfumble. A new season, a new era.
    I got a better idea how about we pull the plug on ESPN.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    I got a better idea how about we pull the plug on ESPN.
    You're preaching to the choir. You can add Manish and Cimini to the list.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The thing about that play is for most other Qb's it would be a once in a career horrifying moment. For Sanchez it simply is an accumulation of all of his many horrible, ill timed, worst time and place possible, grisly errors.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    yeap they are going to retire it and focus on talking crap about Geno going forward. F ESPN!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Denver LB dropping ball before endzone last night was worse. But that's just me.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is with ESPN's obsession with embarrassing and demoralizing Mark Sanchez? I mean isn't this very old news? I feel as bad as ESPN is, this is a new low, even for them. Just pathetic, it is borderline bullying/cruel at this point. ESPN is a pathetic sports stations and unwatchable. Who finds this entertaining, especially at this point? So unprofessional.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TokyoJetsFan View Post
    Denver LB dropping ball before endzone last night was worse. But that's just me.
    Actually last night's game gave them a couple of worthy successors - the collision on the punt (I wonder if the rookie who took out Jacoby Jones is still on the roster) and the drop 6.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    This 100%
    (as if I didn't say this enough)

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGnW View Post
    As a poor college student with basic cable, it's really the only way to get my sports fix during the week. But agreed, ESPN is f**king awful and extremely bias.
    You can learn 1000x more in 5 minutes on this board than watching an hour of sportscenter.
    Most people I know who watch it have no original opinions other than what they were fed by ESPN, and they also eat everything that the rags print as well.
    I prefer to check out the board, find my own articles, and formulate my own opinion.
    Give it a shot if you're up to it.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    What is with ESPN's obsession with embarrassing and demoralizing Mark Sanchez? I mean isn't this very old news? I feel as bad as ESPN is, this is a new low, even for them. Just pathetic, it is borderline bullying/cruel at this point. ESPN is a pathetic sports stations and unwatchable. Who finds this entertaining, especially at this point? So unprofessional.
    Cheatriot, Jill and Fish fans.

It amazes me how much hatred there is for the Jets in comment sections on any given sports website. You would think the Jets were a perennial SB power. At one time America loved underdogs and giving second chances, but apparently many of my countrymen are now effed-up. They absolutely LOVE to kick someone when they're down. I guess it makes them feel better about their own miserable lives.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Cheatriot, Jill and Fish fans.

It amazes me how much hatred there is for the Jets in comment sections on any given sports website. You would think the Jets were a perennial SB power. At one time America loved underdogs and giving second chances, but apparently many of my countrymen are now effed-up. They absolutely LOVE to kick someone when they're down. I guess it makes them feel better about their own miserable lives.
    Agree 100%

I really think alot of it is the anti-New York sentiment too. In San Diego one time I had a guy say to me, "New York sucks, why would I ever want to go there?"
    I told him that 99% of the world probably disagrees, but hey, knock yourself out.
    I think it makes them feel better about at best mediocre cities too.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    They must be devastated to retire it...
    It was their cash cow for so long, and the reason they wanted Sanchez to start for the JETS.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    They must be devastated to retire it...
    It was their cash cow for so long, and the reason they wanted Sanchez to start for the JETS.
    bingo!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    **** ESPN

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    it is like recovering a fumble running it back to the endzone but dropping the ball at the 1 yards line. The but fumble is bad but that took two players not nowing and running into each other not like dropping the ball before scoring or even worse having the other team recover it......