Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US Vs Costa Rica

US Vs Costa Rica

The Costa Ricans are angry about the snow game and have been purposely been sticking it the Americans all week. Hopefully the US team will come through on my birthday and dominate and destroy

If nothing else, this match shows the value of Michael Bradley, and put away any notion that Jermaine Jones is better player (on the US National Team) than MB90

Feels good to get payback after that bull**** in the snow.

losing Bradley right before the game was obviously a huge blow to the US. but they fought hard and almost equalized in the second half, before the breakaway goal sealed it.

now rooting hard for the US to put Mexico out of their misery on Tuesday

both the US and Costa Rica can seal their tickets to Brazil with W's tonight.

let's do it

Let's hope so. US will qualify, but they are without two of their top 4 players (arguably their best 2) and two other staters from Friday, with Bradley, they looked like a different team. It will be interesting to see how Mexico comes out with the new coach and their back firmly against the wall. If they lose, they may not control their own destiny to avoid 4th

Mexico's a wounded animal, to be sure.

maybe the new coach will be the spark they've lacked all year, but if the US beats them i don't know if they can recover in time to clinch 3rd.

**** Yeah! Suck it chicarita!

USA and CR...woot!

WORLD CUP *****ES!!!!

Came to see if there was a US Mexico thread... Kinda sad there isn't but when I realized there's a US CR thread and no ****ing mention of the embarrassingly ridiculous yellow that was given to Besler in that match saddens me even more...

Dirtstar, I know it's not exactly your fault there was a Mexican crew officiating that game but Jesus (giggity) man, that game was maddening... Altidore's yellow so late in was equally pitiful.

Anywho, onto more important things, like Brazil

Wow. Mexico is a disaster. They need 4 points to play New Zealand, a tie against Panama and they really might not get 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Came to see if there was a US Mexico thread... Kinda sad there isn't but when I realized there's a US CR thread and no ****ing mention of the embarrassingly ridiculous yellow that was given to Besler in that match saddens me even more...

Dirtstar, I know it's not exactly your fault there was a Mexican crew officiating that game but Jesus (giggity) man, that game was maddening... Altidore's yellow so late in was equally pitiful.

Anywho, onto more important things, like Brazil
    I'm with you, a Mexican referee shouldn't have called that game. Yesterday in our match against Jamaica, we had an American referee. These things shouldn't be allowed, the potential conflict of interest is too high. They should either use refs from other Conferences, or from countries that are not actively participating in qualifying.

But it's CONCACAF and anything can happen. ****, even playing in half a foot of snow is considered "normal" nowadays

Congrats to the US on their big win yesterday, the day's results couldn't have been more perfect: CR and US already qualified, everyone else (including Jamaica) still fighting for 3rd/4th with Mexico on the outside looking in.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Wow. Mexico is a disaster. They need 4 points to play New Zealand, a tie against Panama and they really might not get 4th.
    That October 11th game in Azteca between Panama and Mexico has turned into a huuuuuge game. Last night couldn't have been more perfect. USA with another "dos a cero" win against Mexico, USA clinches, and Mexico is now fighting for dear life just to get into the New Zealand play-in.

Was pretty cool seeing the team come back out onto the field with the champagne, as well.

What amazing is that Mexico may end up benefiting (in theory) on both ends from a dive by a Costa Rican player.

Costa Rican Football Federation official Juan Carlos Roman told Al Día that the Ticos could be forced to play their next home World Cup qualifier, against Mexico on Oct. 15, before an empty stadium as punishment.

FIFA will investigate Costa Rica forward Joel Campbell for faking a foul that led to a yellow card for United States defender Matt Besler, according to Costa Rican newspaper Al Día.
    That foul caused Besler to miss the match against Mexico (not that it ended up mattering). It's amazing that a dive by Costa Rica could result in a ridiculously advantageous situation for Mexico.

What amazing is that Mexico may end up benefiting (in theory) on both ends from a dive by a Costa Rican player.

That foul caused Besler to miss the match against Mexico (not that it ended up mattering). It's amazing that a dive by Costa Rica could result in a ridiculously advantageous situation for Mexico.
    FIFA/CONCACAF powers that be hard at work.

Mexico missing out on the WC is a huge economic blow, and they need all the help they can get at this point just to make it to the 4th place playoff vs. New Zealand.

btw, the empty stadium thing wouldn't be because of Campbell's dive. he may face a fine or even suspension (which would be absolutely laughable considering that diving is an integral, albeit unfortunate, part of soccer). if we play with an empty stadium it's because the crowd whistled/jeered during the US national anthem. inappropriate, sure, but no different than almost every other CONCACAF venue with a hostile crowd.

it's total BS if it happens, but it really wouldn't surprise me considering what's at stake for Mexico.

last round of qualifying coming up...

what do you guys think -- Mexico, in or out??

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    last round of qualifying coming up...

what do you guys think -- Mexico, in or out??
    I think they make it. T just seems so hard to believe they won't find a way to beat Panama at home. I'm actually in Spain right now and we're going to the qualifier between Spain and Belarus. I'm super excited about that... Also the fact that we're in San Sebastian and I'm having ridiculous meals.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

I think they make it. T just seems so hard to believe they won't find a way to beat Panama at home. I'm actually in Spain right now and we're going to the qualifier between Spain and Belarus. I'm super excited about that... Also the fact that we're in San Sebastian and I'm having ridiculous meals.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
    nice! enjoy the game (and the food)

selfishly, i would love for Mexico to come into the last game in Costa Rica in a "must win" situation, and to get to see in person as we put them out of their misery

Amazing. US saves Mexico and gives them a lifeline in stoppage time. That's probably the 2nd worst possible really for Mexican fans. A small part of me would have been happy to see Mexico eliminated, but honestly, on the long run it wouldn't change anything, and the guys who scored in the 90th minute are fighting for spots on the WC2014 roster.
    Also it'll be fun to stay hearing "you are welcome" and "we're the reason you are in the world cup" chants and the next few US Vs Mexico matches.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Amazing. US saves Mexico and gives them a lifeline in stoppage time. That's probably the 2nd worst possible really for Mexican fans. A small part of me would have been happy to see Mexico eliminated, but honestly, on the long run it wouldn't change anything, and the guys who scored in the 90th minute are fighting for spots on the WC2014 roster.
    Also it'll be fun to stay hearing "you are welcome" and "we're the reason you are in the world cup" chants and the next few US Vs Mexico matches.

admirable attitude from the US team to fight for all 90+ minutes and get the W.

on the other hand, it was a total dick move against Panama and it saved Mexico's sorry ass

Jets Insider VIP

You don't allow two goals in stoppage time. You just don't. Panama screwed themselves. Classy non-celebration from the Iceman after the final goal.