Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Impressions of the "new stadium experience"

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,681
    Post Thanks / Like

    Impressions of the "new stadium experience"

    On the whole I am very pleased with the changes.

    • The team marching in through the parking lot around 10:30 is a really nice touch. I wish it had been communicated better, because I think more tailgaters would have joined in to line the sides of the barricades, but even just stumbling across it there was a pretty good crowd. It was great to get close enough to give words of encouragement to the players before the game. Hopefully this is a new tradition and not just a season opener one-off. It looked like the players really enjoyed it as well.

    • Speaking of marching, I was entirely not sold on the band at first, but it won me over. The band uniforms were a little silly, but once you get past that it's hard to have complaints, especially because they were active in going around the parking lot before the game and being a part of the tailgating scene.

    • The J-E-T-S flags were a neat little prop, and the fact that fans were so willing to use them (particularly the lower level - kudos!) really had the effect of making the crowd look a lot more rowdy and roiling than it would sans flags.

    • On the negative side, the idea of splitting up the Jets chant by stadium segment should be scrapped entirely. It was terrible in execution, and I could hear the relief once the chant subsequently began with the more traditional unilateral and simultaneous participation.

    • I get the *idea* of having the drumline start the Jets chant, but there needs to be a clearer call to action. I don't think we can expect people to instantly recognize a somewhat bland sounding cadence -- there needs to be a artificial sound effect to accompany it, something recognizable to get everyone's attention to snap to the fact that, hey, the Jets chant is starting. Also, the chant leader within the drumline needs to be dressed differently or something...it's difficult to identify who to watch to begin the chant. That all said, I really appreciate the effort to keep the chant going and I think the drumline is a great way to do it, just with the above tweaks.

  2. #2
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    On the whole I am very pleased with the changes.

    • The team marching in through the parking lot around 10:30 is a really nice touch. I wish it had been communicated better, because I think more tailgaters would have joined in to line the sides of the barricades, but even just stumbling across it there was a pretty good crowd. It was great to get close enough to give words of encouragement to the players before the game. Hopefully this is a new tradition and not just a season opener one-off. It looked like the players really enjoyed it as well.

    • Speaking of marching, I was entirely not sold on the band at first, but it won me over. The band uniforms were a little silly, but once you get past that it's hard to have complaints, especially because they were active in going around the parking lot before the game and being a part of the tailgating scene.

    • The J-E-T-S flags were a neat little prop, and the fact that fans were so willing to use them (particularly the lower level - kudos!) really had the effect of making the crowd look a lot more rowdy and roiling than it would sans flags.

    • On the negative side, the idea of splitting up the Jets chant by stadium segment should be scrapped entirely. It was terrible in execution, and I could hear the relief once the chant subsequently began with the more traditional unilateral and simultaneous participation.

    • I get the *idea* of having the drumline start the Jets chant, but there needs to be a clearer call to action. I don't think we can expect people to instantly recognize a somewhat bland sounding cadence -- there needs to be a artificial sound effect to accompany it, something recognizable to get everyone's attention to snap to the fact that, hey, the Jets chant is starting. Also, the chant leader within the drumline needs to be dressed differently or something...it's difficult to identify who to watch to begin the chant. That all said, I really appreciate the effort to keep the chant going and I think the drumline is a great way to do it, just with the above tweaks.

    I was there also, I was not aware that the team walked through the parking lot, that's pretty neat.

    I like the band, it's kinda old school.

    My wife collected a bunch of the flags from our area - "T" and traded the extra "T"s for for the other letters so it spelled out J-E-T-S. So my kid got a kick out of that.

    I agree with the chant, it has to come naturally, as much as I did not care for "Fireman Ed", in retrospect, he did get the crowd going with the chant. But I was also surprised how loud the place was. Tampa had a hard time hearing and getting there offense going at times.
    It seemed at times the JETS chant wanted to "go" but it just did not have "legs."

    I was most impressed with the crowd and the enthusiasm. After the game, I was a little surprised that a chant was going up for Geno after the field goal, rather than Folk.

    Anyway, it was a great day at the Stadium, it was one of the few where I walked out a happy camper rather than, "here we go again."

    Even when we lost the lead, it was a nice day. But I definitely enjoyed leaving under the circumstances!!

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,569
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the stadium was great today. The team gave the fans a reason to cheer and the crowd was loud. No "Fireman Ed", no problem. As long as the team plays well the stadium will continue to be great. We had some games the past couple of years that MetLife turned into a library.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    --the crowd that showed up was great; all of the empty seats in the upper deck = pathetic and embarrassing for the franchise

    --the drum line is a waste of time

    --the WIFI was worse today than it was in the past; why can't they get this right after two years?

    --flags - having only the letter on both sides is stupid...why couldn't they put "JETS" on the other side? are we supposed to bring these flags back to every game now? they should really tell us wtf we are supposed to do with a flag with one letter on it...LOL

    --food - no changes..there still isn't much of a selection

    --parking--they erected more barriers and completely screwed up the flow of cars into the parking to the point that cars would enter the parking sections by me and drive around in complete circles or end up with three cars from different directions facing each other

    the "new stadium experience" is just as bad as the old one; let's just win games and forget the "experience"

  5. #5
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    11,556
    Post Thanks / Like
    The chant is dead, if today was any indication. It's a shame.

    Agree on the parking lot - every year, they make changes for no apparent reason, and usually for the worse.

    I didn't like the flags - too many people holding then up high and waving them, others behind them craning their necks to see. No reason to hand out view obstructions. Especially when they're most likely to obstruct views at big moments.

    But I did think the crowd was great today, third downs were loud from all sides all day it seemed, as were the Bucs entire last few possessions.

  6. #6
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,886
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    The chant is dead, if today was any indication. It's a shame.
    It goes back to the Fireman Ed bashers; We'll do it when we want, we dont need attention seeking Ed to do it...( apparently...no one wants to do it! Go figure.)



    Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    I didn't like the flags - too many people holding then up high and waving them, others behind them craning their necks to see. No reason to hand out view obstructions. Especially when they're most likely to obstruct views at big moments.
    Programs being turned into a relentless rain of paper airplanes...stupid flags....The new parking being worse than the old parking....its enough to make a cat laugh; There seems never to be anyone who has experienced the game on our level making decisions.

    You sit there thinking...this is because some 30 year old dick named RIchard in a white shirt and tie took marketing, minored in Phys ed., couldnt find a job after college, knew someone in Woodies biz, got an entry level job, ascended four ranks.... through attrition....is now making decisions, ad hoc, that affect people that have invested in this farce for 40+ years.



    -

  7. #7
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    919
    Post Thanks / Like
    why was the Red zone plays 20% of the screen while the ads were 80% - could anyone see them? Also how do they take over $100 for fan vision last year then make it obsolete for some app on wifi that never works? awful

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,681
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    --the drum line is a waste of time
    Curious choice of words, and leaves me with so many questions.

    Whose time was wasted? Yours? How did listening to drums from your seat force you to spend time?

    Or did you mean the drummers themselves? I'm sure it was hardly wasted time and they were ecstatic to get the gig -- making a living as a musician is not easy, they are probably be happy to get all the work they can.

    When it comes down to it, I see it this way: what would I prefer, drums or nothing? Drums or some Verizon advertisement blasting from the P.A.? I'm just not sure why anyone would be opposed to drums on time-wasting grounds, given the alternatives. I actually applaud the organization for trying to bring in a little extra noise and atmosphere...and hey we're 1-0 with the drums which is fast approaching statistical significance.

    Finally, BrowningNagle I agree with your point about the red zone highlights. Totally spot on example of corporate interests run amok. The point of the segment is the highlight; the highlight should not be 20% of the screen, with the rest being advertisement. I was actually interested in seeing some of those highlights, instead all I could make out were tiny pixelated Tecmo Bowl quality figurines.

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    1,551
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can we get rid of the Bob Wischusen replay calls which are aired too many times.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Curious choice of words, and leaves me with so many questions.

    Whose time was wasted? Yours? How did listening to drums from your seat force you to spend time?

    Or did you mean the drummers themselves? I'm sure it was hardly wasted time and they were ecstatic to get the gig -- making a living as a musician is not easy, they are probably be happy to get all the work they can.

    When it comes down to it, I see it this way: what would I prefer, drums or nothing? Drums or some Verizon advertisement blasting from the P.A.? I'm just not sure why anyone would be opposed to drums on time-wasting grounds, given the alternatives. I actually applaud the organization for trying to bring in a little extra noise and atmosphere...and hey we're 1-0 with the drums which is fast approaching statistical significance.

    Finally, BrowningNagle I agree with your point about the red zone highlights. Totally spot on example of corporate interests run amok. The point of the segment is the highlight; the highlight should not be 20% of the screen, with the rest being advertisement. I was actually interested in seeing some of those highlights, instead all I could make out were tiny pixelated Tecmo Bowl quality figurines.
    Instead of the drum line drumming for no reason, I'd rather see pee wee football if the Jets want me to stay in my seat at halftime.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jet-sec125 View Post
    Can we get rid of the Bob Wischusen replay calls which are aired too many times.
    Last year, when they did that segment and we hadn't scored, I would just laugh at the highlights. Another pointless thing.

    One day, the NFL will remember that winning games is all that matters. People show up to watch winning teams, not to watch drum lines or highlights. The "experience" is irrelevant. The results are totally relevant.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bayonne, NJ
    Posts
    2,877
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    --the crowd that showed up was great; all of the empty seats in the upper deck = pathetic and embarrassing for the franchise

    --the drum line is a waste of time

    --the WIFI was worse today than it was in the past; why can't they get this right after two years?

    --flags - having only the letter on both sides is stupid...why couldn't they put "JETS" on the other side? are we supposed to bring these flags back to every game now? they should really tell us wtf we are supposed to do with a flag with one letter on it...LOL

    --food - no changes..there still isn't much of a selection

    --parking--they erected more barriers and completely screwed up the flow of cars into the parking to the point that cars would enter the parking sections by me and drive around in complete circles or end up with three cars from different directions facing each other

    the "new stadium experience" is just as bad as the old one; let's just win games and forget the "experience"

    Excellent post

  13. #13
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Section 244
    Posts
    754
    Post Thanks / Like
    The band can go, it was just terrible and no one followed them when they tried doing the J-E-T-S chant.

    One issue I have is how they got rid of the individual introductions when the team comes out. I see that this was started at the Arizona game last year as a way to minimize the boos for Sanchez. But now since those days are seemingly over, I think they should stop introducing one side of the ball by position group. Give the fans a chance to cheer their players and get them even more pumped off before the game with the longer version of introductions. I know its a small gripe, but I didn't like seeing that

  14. #14
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,076
    Post Thanks / Like
    whats the problem with the lots exactly? I pulled in around 10:15behind Timex, pulled up to the intersection of K, L and J. The dude wave me to the left, I ignored him, pulled straight and went into J no problem.

    What I find with parking attendants in general, if you tell them what you are going to do, or, even better, just do it, it works a lot better than asking.

  15. #15
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Huntington Beach , CA ( The OC)
    Posts
    2,145
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was at the game too, I don't get too many, because I live on the west coast, Firemen Ed is definitely missed, not a rowdy crowd like the old days, more like an Angels baseball game , I'm just glad they won.

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    2,517
    Post Thanks / Like
    I actually like the Wischusen highlights. His play by play is great and way better than so many others on the radio. I welcome it.

    The drumline was better than I thought. I'm not huge on it but I'm willing to give it a chance. The problem is they're all kinda goofy looking trying to do the Jets chant. Stay away from that and leave it to us fans to figure it out.

    Wifi sucks. Period. LTE was fine though. Unless you're streaming videos during the game, how much data usage are you actually using when you should be WATCHING the game?

    One thing I saw the other day was the MetLife raffle table at the main gate. They have all autographed Jets goods. In the glass was a Wayne Chrebet jersey that was CLEARLY a Chinese knockoff. Are they that cheap? How do we even know that's a real autograph? I feel sorry for the poor sap who'd win that worthless item. It wasn't even the right shade of green!!!

    These are all nitpicks really. I love the in-stadium experience. Wouldn't mind cheaper tickets lol but there's no place I'd rather be on a football Sunday.

  17. #17
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,076
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you have kids, you should definitely go to the mock up field by the MetLife main gate. It's a lot of fun to kick field goals, run thru the blocking dummies and throw passes. I've taken my son a few times there now and it's one of the highlights of the day for him.

    The escalator set up of the stadium still gets me every time but no use on harping on it.

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,723
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's just like Philly now with all the BS, except no fireworks after scores atop the stadium, and the scoring we will get there.

  19. #19
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    499
    Post Thanks / Like
    photo.jpgphoto (2).jpgphoto (3).jpgphoto (1).jpgphoto (4).jpg

    Jet players were very approachable....fun to see them come through the tailgate area.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us