Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bucs impressed by Geno

Bucs impressed by Geno

Bucs impressed by Geno's poise.

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Gerald McCoy couldn't believe it.

After Tampa Bay's defensive tackle delivered hit after hit on Jets quarterback Geno Smith, he expected to see the rookie break, to see Smith start fearing the bruising linemen coming after him.

Yet there was Smith, standing tall in the pocket and not backing down.

"I was sure when I was hitting him early on he would be rattled but the guy just kept sitting in there. 'Man, how many more times I got to hit you?'" McCoy said. "He definitely stayed poised and made plays when necessary. He took a lot of big hits today. He always bounced back up and went and made plays. That guy has a bright future."

The Buccaneers were impressed with the steadiness Smith displayed on Sunday as he led the Jets to an 18-17 comeback win in the final seconds Sunday at MetLife Stadium. The Bucs held the Jets to 304 yards, but Smith didn't wilt against a tough defense.

"He was very poised. He was on to the next [play]," Buccaneers linebacker Mason Foster said. "Anything happened, he kept pushing through, got his team up and down the field. Got to tip your hat to him for that. It's tough to do that in the NFL."

Smith entered Sunday's game with limited preseason work due to a rolled ankle and the Jets resting him in the fourth preseason game, and he didn't impress in his little playing time. He completed just 22 of 37 passes for 246 yards in two preseason games, with one touchdown and three interceptions.

The Buccaneers did a solid job containing Smith and the Jets' offense, holding them to just one touchdown, and registering five sacks and two turnovers.

In the second quarter, Foster's sack of Smith led to a fumble recovery at the Jets' five-yard line, and Doug Martin scored on the next play to put Tampa Bay ahead, 14-5. Lavonte David then picked off Smith on the next drive with the Jets in Buccaneers' territory.

Smith won the battle with the Buccaneers' defense in the fourth as he led the Jets on two go-ahead drives. Smith engineered a 14-play, 65-yard drive for a field goal to put the Jets ahead 15-14 with 5:05 left, and he drove the Jets 50 yards in 32 seconds for the game-winning field goal.

That drive was aided by a late hit from David, who was flagged for a personal foul for shoving Smith after he was out of bounds, and the penalty put the Jets at Tampa Bay's 30 with seven seconds left.

"To me he was in bounds, but I guess he was out of bounds and that's why they called the penalty," David said.

Had it not been for that penalty, the Buccaneers likely would be leaving New Jersey with a win. Instead, they head back to Florida 0-1 after a rookie beat them in his debut.

"I think he used his gifts," Tampa Bay coach Greg Schiano said. "When under pressure, we made some errors as far as containing him and he used it, got away. He's got a big arm. He made some throws. He was under pressure. I think he did a good job."

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Nice reading that about our new QB

Real nice to hear...Great job Geno!

that penalty was BS though

Quote Originally Posted by SAM View Post
    Stop it, I don't care about the stupid picture, that is a penalty EVERY time these days, as soon as it happened it was obvious that it was a penalty

It's incredible what Geno was able to do with absolutely no running game. I can't speak to his poise after repeatedly hitting him, as Mr. McCoy can, but watching him engineer drives (rudimentary drives, but drives nonetheless) with NO running game means he's got a little something in terms of potential. It's early but was definitely a good first step.

In all honesty I cannot remember a single time another team having favorable things to say about Sanchez like the bucs did about geno. The only comments that come to my memory are... "MS couldn't pass me a sandwich" and "the way to beat them (jets) is by making Mark beat you, he'll eventually beat himself"...

Maybe if he was a RB or WR, but he is a QB and his left foot is about to come down
    out of bounds AND he is a QB. This would be a penalty for EVERY QB in the NFL.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Great work kid! Keep it up Thursday night !!

Why ? because our QB's name isnt Brady?
    Any other QB gets shoved to the ground out of bounds will get that "BS" call.
    The picture doesnt tell the whole story. He is making light contact in the pic but he then he follows through and shoves Geno down. The danger of the play is the QB getting hurt on something or someone on the sideline.
    The call wasnt as ticky-tacky as some think. It wasnt a barbaric roughing but it was unnecessary.
    Had one of our guys done it to Freeman, I would have to agree with the call.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Maybe if he was a RB or WR, but he is a QB and his left foot is about to come down
    out of bounds AND he is a QB. This would be a penalty for EVERY QB in the NFL.
    Not only that , but the situation also favored Geno's intentions. The chances that Geno was going to cut the run back inside with no timeouts and 10 seconds left would have been zero. The LB made a bad choice and that is the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by HitSomeone41 View Post
    Not only that , but the situation also favored Geno's intentions. The chances that Geno was going to cut the run back inside with no timeouts and 10 seconds left would have been zero. The LB made a bad choice and that is the bottom line.
    this.

the football play here would be to try and keep him INBOUNDS...not try to shove him to the ground out of bounds...

good penalty.

i never understood why players would try to push someone out of bounds in that spot, if anything try to pull him back in and let the clock run down! The penalty wasnt that bad, but it was completely unnecessary and thats why it was called.

The picture doesnt tell the whole story. He is making light contact in the pic but he then he follows through and shoves Geno down. The danger of the play is the QB getting hurt on something or someone on the sideline.
    The call wasnt as ticky-tacky as some think. It wasnt a barbaric roughing but it was unnecessary.

Yeah, because the hit on Geno was unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    It's incredible what Geno was able to do with absolutely no running game. I can't speak to his poise after repeatedly hitting him, as Mr. McCoy can, but watching him engineer drives (rudimentary drives, but drives nonetheless) with NO running game means he's got a little something in terms of potential. It's early but was definitely a good first step.
    Having no running game is the key!
    Sanchez played a game in 2009 against a very bad defense & threw 5 picks while his team was running for over 300 yards.
    By the way that is the 1st time in NFL history a team lost a game while running for over 300 yards.
    2009 vs Buffalo Bills

All Pro
    I was most impressed with how calm and collected Smith was. Even late in the game, he wasn't yelling / screaming / panicking, nor was he messing about / not paying attention on the sideline. He was focussed, knew what was needed, and got it done. Sure we got lots of help from an undisciplined Bucs team, but we didn't sink to their level and played smart for the most part.

Ha - That photo proves it was a penalty.

Do you think that because a defender touches the offensive player in bounds, that makes it legal to forcefully shove the offensive player to the ground when he is out of bounds.

As Geno is crossing the sideline, the defender's arms are outstretched and it is very clear that he hasn't caught up to Geno enough to deliver the shove that sent Geno flying. The only conclusion is that the shove took place OUT OF BOUNDS.

The picture is also at an angle that gives the impression he's more in bounds than he is....take a shot directly down the line and you'll get a truer view of where he was and it'd almost certainly show Geno clearly out when contact s made.

#yoloswag

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Not in the NFL. I guess you don't watch many NFL games huh?