Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: After Watching The TB Tape ...

Practice Squad
    I really can't believe that there are actual Jets fans who are bemoaning the fact that this team won a game with a little help from the other team. That's really all that happened. The Jets still have to actually EARN the win with a well executed field goal. Nothing is automatic about a 48 yard field goal with the wind whipping. All they got was a chance, but they still had to convert. teams get breaks sometimes but in the past the Jets weren't the team that got a lot of breaks nor took advantage of a lot of breaks.

The call was 1000% correct. There's no way any QB is going to be allowed to be shoved that hard out of bounds. geno could have really been hurt on that kind of play. He could hit another players legs or the bench. It's just a dumb play. Also the defender could clearly see the players standing on the sidelines so this idea that he thought Geno was still in bounds is lame. He knew Geno was headed towards the sideline and the only thing he had to do was follow him to make sure he did rather than try to get in a shot on Geno. Those calls are a message to defenders to THINK rather than just trying to hurt QB's with free shots. It's meant to put the breaks on guys mentally. That call will serve it's purpose.

What I like most about the play was that Geno put pressure on the TB defense with his legs. The fear they had which caused the defender to commit the penalty is a good thing for the Jets. We want teams to fear Geno running. It will open up more options on offense.

I find it funny that they commit the penalty, and we're harping if it was legal or not. Imagine if the Jets had done that instead? It would be leading off Sportscenter, First Take, CNN, and EWTN, about how we're just a circus and how we find the worst possible ways to lose a game. It'd be played alongside the butt-fumble in clip after clip. There would be Youtube videos of people pushing people off of the sidewalk titled "Jets-ing"! But TB does it? Gets a mention in the highlights, and debates as to if the play was really all that illegal in the first place.

In today's NFL, that play gets called a penalty every single time. It's not the touching, that is the problem. It's the shove at the end. If he just touches him, and then sees he's out of bounds, and lets go, there is no problem. The penalty arises from the fact, that he kept his hands on, and completed the shove once Geno was clearly out of bounds. It also helped, that in a late game situation, a lot of the players were right up on the sideline, so when he goes tumbling like a bowling ball and takes out some of the players, it looks a bit worse than if the sideline wasn't as heavily populated.

It's a dumb play. TB didn't even deny it. The coach didn't argue it. Infact, you see their LB coach, talking to the kid on the sideline, telling him how stupid of a play that was, and how he can't do things like that. Even David knew it was a terrible play, you could see it in his facial expressions. It wasn't one of those "Oh ****, you gotta be kidding me with that call" looks, it was more of the "Oh ****, I messed up" looks.

Now the validity of the rule can be up for interpretation, but as mentioned ad-nauseam here, a team is going absolutely nowhere without a QB. I think we have first hand experience with that. So the league wants to protect a team's most valued commodity, and I don't blame them. If your starting QB is hurt, you might as well kiss your season goodbye (unless there is an absolute stud unknown backup, but very unlikely) and that hurts business, the NFL, and the fans. I'd rather see the defenses let up a bit, and play a bit fearful, than worrying that dirty hits and plays could have no repercussions whatsoever, and possibly lose my season over a cheap shot. It's still a worry, but atleast defenders will be a bit more hesitant.

a win is a win. who knows, maybe folk hits a 56 yarder if that clown doesn't get the penalty. the bottom line is geno made some big plays when it counted and it's hard to see sanchez winning that game.

Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    a win is a win. who knows, maybe folk hits a 56 yarder if that clown doesn't get the penalty. the bottom line is geno made some big plays when it counted and it's hard to see sanchez winning that game.
    Sanchez has 10 fourth quarter comebacks and 12 game-winning drives in his "crappy" career.

Can't we just let Geno be Geno instead of constantly making up stuff to make him look better?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Sanchez has 10 fourth quarter comebacks and 12 game-winning drives in his "crappy" career.

Can't we just let Geno be Geno instead of constantly making up stuff to make him look better?
    OK...but you are going back to 2009 and 2010. Since middle of 2011...Mark has been a shell of himself. Mark is the best rookie JET QB I have seen debut. So nothing is firm yet..... But Geno did look better than average.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I would say Geno is more of a solid B, because he is a rookie and his performance got better the longer the game went on. For those saying "he is not ready" he showed more poise and football awareness than we have seen at QB in a while. Even the Bucs players were very impressed. I also think if you saw it, Geno was fantastic in his post game interview.
    It was a C ... Which is good for a rook.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    - TB deserved to lose that game on a personal foul. They were head hunting all
    game and celebrating when guys had to leave
    In my opinion Dashon Goldson should have been ejected from the game, he was responsible for the helmet to helmet hits on Cumberland & Kerley - he should have been warned by the officials after the first one and ejected after the second one - especially considering they were almost back to back plays by that sc_mbag .

If he doesn't at least get a hefty fine this week, I will be really pissed.

Just my opinion.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 09-09-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Here's what I saw

Good

- Crowd noise was excellent. And I'll give them credit because they didn't leave
    when it looked bleak

- DLine was exactly what I was hoping for. Wilkerson, Richardson, Harrison & Ellis
    were destructive all day. Harrison & Ellis gave us the best NT play since Jenkins
    back in 2008

- The safeties were terrific. Landry with the INT and Allen was ALL OVER the field

- The ILB's were terrific. Harris looked like the 2010 version and Davis was very
    impressive in his debut. Davis saved the game on TB last drive, Jackson was going in
    for the TD and Davis tracked him down

- Barnes with constant pressure in his OLB role

- Run defense was incredible. Martin is a big time RB and he did nothing all day

- Winslow

- Malone and Folk

- Credit to Hill, Cumberland & Kerley for showing toughness on those TB dirty hits.
    Hill had a huge fumble recovery on the drive that put us up 15-14

- Credit to Mornhinweg for nursing Smith along. He was rocky early on but the play
    calls (particularly the screen game late) in the second half settled him down

Bad

- Disappointed with Cro today. He and Jackson were teammates in SD and I expected
    a more consistent effort. Too many times he gave Jackson a free release

- Ivory needs to pick it up so far he's contributed very little. He allowed a sack
    on a bad blitz pickup and from Smith's reaction it looked like he was in the wrong
    spot on the INT

- Our run game has to pick it up. But I've got to give credit to TB they shut us
    down

- Defensive coverage calls on Jackson. Sometimes Rex had an OLB on him and other
    times he gave him a 10 yd cushion. It almost got us beat

- Clock management on TB last drive was bad. Ryan wasted a total of 15 seconds
    before using his last two timeouts

QB

- I would give Smith a grade of C+ or B-. A nice solid effort going against an
    excellent run defense and excellent talent in TB secondary. Showed good poise
    on that last drive didn't look like a chicken without a head as he led the team

Other Observations

- TB deserved to lose that game on a personal foul. They were head hunting all
    game and celebrating when guys had to leave

- Good example today on who is more impactful on defense a CB or a DE. Revis is
    a Hall of Fame talent and looked good today BUT Richardson (who he was traded for)
    had much more of an impact. And that's why you don't pay a CB $16 million

- TB had a lot of fighting going on between coaches and players on the sidelines

- TB has a big issue at QB because Freeman is regressing just like Sanchez

Smith is worthy of a B+. He not only did not turn the ball over like a Sanchez he had some very good plays with throwing to K2 and his legs.

Receivers showed toughness. The fact that our WR/TE group is pretty good is a bad reflection on the media for not doing research.

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    In my opinion Dashon Goldson should have been ejected from the game, he was responsible for the helmet to helmet hits on Cumberland & Kerley - he should have been warned by the officials after the first one and ejected after the second one - especially considering they were almost back to back plays by that sc_mbag .

Just my opinion.
    i tend to agree with you.

if the NFL is serious about preventing these sorts of injuries, they're gonna have to start ejecting players for stuff like this. first personal foul should be a warning, if the player commits a second foul he's gone. kinda like the yellow card/red card in soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    If Sanchez played it would've been a lot like the opener last year vs Buffalo

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by endgameeugenics View Post
    If Sanchez played it would've been a lot like the opener last year vs Buffalo
    you are probably right.... except for the five interceptions, three for pick sixes and the three fumbles, you are spot on

Quote Originally Posted by Win4ever View Post
    I find it funny that they commit the penalty, and we're harping if it was legal or not. Imagine if the Jets had done that instead? It would be leading off Sportscenter, First Take, CNN, and EWTN, about how we're just a circus and how we find the worst possible ways to lose a game. It'd be played alongside the butt-fumble in clip after clip. There would be Youtube videos of people pushing people off of the sidewalk titled "Jets-ing"! But TB does it? Gets a mention in the highlights, and debates as to if the play was really all that illegal in the first place.
    lmao

Jets Insider VIP
    finally watched it yesterday on NFL rewind (which, btw, I think is a MUST BUY)

once you get past the horrible biased announcing of Burkhardt and especially John "Suzyn Waldman" Lynch, I thought the Jets Defense against the run was the star of the game shutting down the Buc's pro bowl running back completely

I thought the OL was pretty good for the most part and I'm not sure whether all the KILL DUCASSE comments I read here are at all justified. To me he looked as good or better than Slaussen did last year for most of the game

Geno did a great job of recovering from the interception, the pick and the 19 yard sack and showed great poise, command of the huddle and knowledge of the playbook. I may be wrong but I didn't see him wearing one of those gigantic arm things with the plays on it and referring to it in the huddle and pre snap as Mark had to do for four years to remember the plays. He also ran the no huddle offense quite effectively, knew where his teammates were supposed to line up and identified potential blitzers quite well before the snap

The running game was meh against apparently a very good Tampa run defense but I liked the way Ivory kept his legs moving forward after contact even after the play where he ran into one of his teammates and showed power and some elusiveness far better than what we saw from Greene the last couple of seasons

Stephen Hill appears to have made great strides, got open, blocked well and I don't believe dropped anything thrown in his direction. Holmes was not 100 percent but it was nice to see him out there more or less as a decoy to get Revis to cover him. Hopefully, Kerley and Cumberland recover from the vicious illegal hits they received from Golston (that will hopefully get him suspended) although the real culprit is College Boy Schiano who apparently coaches his team to go for the head with their helmet whenever possible

The linebackers were much improved from the worlds slowest linebacking corps we ran out there last season. Thankfully we don't have to watch Bart and Bryan Thomas lumber around anymore and even Harris appears to have lost some weight and was showing some better speed and movement

Cromartie had an off game it seemed allowing cushions and catches and reverting back to the non tackling version of Cromartie at times. Milliner was good for his first game and having missed most of training camp with only one really bad coverage on the first long reception TB completed in the first quarter. The safeties were better than we had anticipated and Antonio Allen stood out to me as a guy who played well. Not having Eric Smith on the field was another nice addition by subtraction.

Special teams performed excellently for the most part showing no signs of Westhoff having retired and Kotwica taking his place angst. Malone had an 84 yard gross, 64 yard net punt and the rest of them were fine too and Folk every field goal right down the middle including the nearly 50 yarder for the win

All in all, a good opening effort which dispatched millions of media believers from suicide pools around the nation and took the Jets to a 1-0 record with a possibility of 3-1 after the opening quarter, not bad for the media's unanimous worst team in the NFL, worse than the Browns, Jaguars and Raiders, of course

Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    This pic is clearly photoshopped. Take a look at the video. At no point does Geno have both feet on the ground like this near the sideline.
    That picture isn't photoshopped.

Geno's left foot is about a yard or so in front of his right foot (right leg is fully extended). Now, look at the shadow on the ground where is feet are; both feet are touching it.

What you're seeing is an optical illusion.

#yoloswag
    Last edited by McGinley; 09-10-2013 at 05:55 AM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

the hit is a penalty in 2013 NFL ... Regardless of which side of that argument you are on I would think all rational people can agree it was an Idiotic move by the Tampa defensive player!

Hill definitely was an unsung hero

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    OK...but you are going back to 2009 and 2010. Since middle of 2011...Mark has been a shell of himself. Mark is the best rookie JET QB I have seen debut. So nothing is firm yet..... But Geno did look better than average.
    Thank you not one poster has had the gumption to say what you are saying in this thread.

But I still think that the declining talent on the offense had something to do with the lack of the comebacks.

Last year as poorly as Sanchez played the Jets win in NE if Hill holds onto the ball.

Finally think on this last year the team WR was so poor that the Jets toyed with using Cromartie at WR!!! In position that has the talent of Megatron at the position etc. around the NFL this is what the Jets were toying with and that was BEFORE Holmes went down!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Thank you not one poster has had the gumption to say what you are saying in this thread.

But I still think that the declining talent on the offense had something to do with the lack of the comebacks.

Last year as poorly as Sanchez played the Jets win in NE if Hill holds onto the ball.

Finally think on this last year the team WR was so poor that the Jets toyed with using Cromartie at WR!!! In position that has the talent of Megatron at the position etc. around the NFL this is what the Jets were toying with and that was BEFORE Holmes went down!
    I blame Rex with his ground and pound philosophy; he really wanted a rested Defense and thought running the ball was the answer; however, when you run twic and pass 3rd, you are predictable and go 3 and out. The Defense gets winded and you lose games.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post

Well..I feel the same excitement I felt when

1) Saw Chad blow out INDY in 2002
    2) Saw mark Debut

Neither of those ended as well as I had hoped BUT, I feel a little hope with Geno.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    GREAT POST.... I hoped Miliner would show more and VLAD, he sucks. Disappointed in how TB walked through us with 2 minutes left.

That said..D looked better than any we have seen in a few years, Geno remained stable, Kerley and Hill very positive.

Very upbeat for an ugly loss. Let's take it to NE!
    Wasn't Freeman something like 15-31? Being sub-50% in the NFL is pathetic. I think sometimes its tough to appreciate what a CB does because you don't notice him when he blankets his WR.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post

Just my opinion.
    Mark Barron was penalized for hitting Kerley. Goldson on the Cumberland hit.