Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First game, a lot of positives, Geno really impressed..

First game, a lot of positives, Geno really impressed..

As a guy that wanted Sanchez to get one more chance and was skeptical about Geno, I don't think fans are giving Geno enough credit for how impressive his first NFL game was today, sure he had some mishaps, but to come back and pull himself together, and play pretty good football the rest of the way, to bring the team back, to go ahead, and then to drive the team on the final drive with 35 seconds, that is an incredible start to his career.

His running ability is really a weapon, but what stood out the most, was Geno's poise, wow, he was unflappable, extremely poised, he may have made mistakes a rookie makes, but his demeanor, confidence, and poise was nothing like a rookie, it was of a QB who was confident, and was never overwhelmed by the moment, that is HUGE, Geno had a great first game, if this is a sign of things to come, we have a lot to look forward to. Then after the game, taking the blame for the INT, saying he had "everything" to improve on, wow, just a great first day.

There is a lot for Geno to build on, and this was a solid defense and a very good test for Geno. He started ok, struggled, threw a bad INT, made a poor decision backed up inside the 5 that allowed TB to go up 14-5, but after that, it seemed that Geno improved as the game progressed, gaining confidence with each drive, it seemed as if the lightbulb went on a little bit, he showed guts and poise, and for a rookie, that's impressive in his first start.

The offensive coaches deserve credit for the game plan, I know some scoffed at the wildcat part of the game plan, but that will be a feature all season, that helps Geno, it takes some of the pressure off of him, as the season progresses, Geno will only gain confidence, and the running game will surely improve. The running game will improve, as Geno improves, as the passing game continues to improve, and especially when Goodson returns.

Notes:

- I just love it that the Jets get to thumb their noses at all the prognosticators, the detractors, ranking this Jets #32 is a damn joke, and it showed today. It was just one game, I get that, it wasn't all perfect, but it was a really great foundational game for this new Rex defense, with the young players on the defensive side of the ball, Ellis, Davis, Richardson, Milliner, even Allen played a strong game I thought, but man, watching the FOX pre-game show, I wanted to jump through the TV to choke the a-holes piling on the Jets.

- Of course, Cimini couldn't help himself from pouring water on the game, and his comments about how MM and the offense needs to switch from the pass first option to a ball control offense, he couldn't be more wrong. That isn't what MM and the WCO is, not in today's NFL. The pass needs to set up the run, the Jets will still be a heavy rush team, but MM needs to keep doing exactly what he did, get the passing game going first, establish the pass to set up the run. It was the first game of the season, teams are usually not conditioned to play the whole game at a high level, and execution will be sloppy, the running game will improve, especially once Goodson comes back.

- The defense will only get better, especially when Coples gets back.

- Richardson is a damn beast, he was really impressive. Wilkerson, Richardson, Harrison, and Ellis. Was really happy to see Ellis get in this game, and make plays, was worried about the back injury, he too will only add to this line, and when Coples gets back, watch out. But Richardson is really impressive.

- Barnes was also impressive, his speed and burst off the line is something we haven't seen at OLB in a while, and Rex and the coaches moved him around too, sliding him down the line to rush the passer up the middle, very impressive first day.

- Davis was sideline to sideline, also an impressive first day, the hustle on that Jackson tackle to keep TB from scoring the TD at the end of the game was huge.

- Harris to me looked as good as I've seen him, he does seem a step quicker, and showed good anticipation.

- I thought Allen overall had a pretty good game, I actually enjoyed the play overall of the safeties, Landry played well, Allen and Jarrett were solid.

- Milliner had an up and down game, but flashed the talent he has, communication was lacking on a couple of the big plays, but I didn't see anything that can't be improved with coaching, corrections, and experience as the season moves forward.

- Cro seemed to be a step behind at times, but I thought he finished the game ok, I hope it's a situation where he will only get healthier and healthier

- The injuries, good to see all 3 players, Cumberland, Kerley, and Mangold come back. Gholston, to me should have been ejected after the hit on Kerley, thought it was a clear intent to go after the player's head, but it was especially good to see both Cumberland and Kerley ok, and then Mangold.

- Folk was clutch

- Mallone an 84 yd punt?

- Game plan was sound, on both sides of the ball, very impressive opening day for the defense, and I thought MM did a lot of good things, he was conservative, but I felt he did everything he could go help Geno be successful in his first game. I think he will open up the offense as Geno proves himself, and shows himself to be more comfortable in what the offense is doing.

- Happy to see Holmes play the whole game, he too will only get better as the season moves forward.

- Winslow looks like he will be one of our bigger pick-ups on offense.

- Really looking forward to seeing what MM will do with Goodson once he gets back.

- Penalties were down, it was a disciplined and well prepared team, that was only held behind a little bit in the first half because of a rookie QB. That 14-5 score at the half was only because Geno let the moment of the drive inside his own 5 get the best of him. Geno struggled, but he really put it together after he got the fumble and INT out of his system.

-Can't wait for Thursday, the Pats will obviously be a good test, but I think the defense won't be as stout, especially in the secondary, that was a good TB secondary that Geno faced today, that isn't what he will face against the Pats.

-Milliner was up and down, but showed flashes of how good he can be, and will only get better as he gains confidence in himself, and what the Jets will ask him to do on defense.

-Cro played hurt, you could tell he is not yet 100%, so I hope that he will continue to get healthy each week.

All Pro
    yep awesome game against a team that will be lucky to win 3 games this year...........................relax will you we always do this as jets fans a qb has a ok game and all of a sudden he is the next franchise qb...............I am telling you now geno is not a franchise qb or will he ever be one................once again the jets get stuck with fools gold and the fanbase are going to eat it up.

Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    yep awesome game against a team that will be lucky to win 3 games this year...........................relax will you we always do this as jets fans a qb has a ok game and all of a sudden he is the next franchise qb...............I am telling you now geno is not a franchise qb or will he ever be one................once again the jets get stuck with fools gold and the fanbase are going to eat it up.
    Don't **** on my thread, your BS is as if I'm suggesting we're going 16-0. I'm not putting Geno in Canton, I didn't suggest anything for Geno other that he had a really good debut. I don't need to relax about anything.

It was the first game with a rookie QB, in a game that we played pretty well overall, and had to come back to win, showed a lot of resolve, and did in impress in all the scenarios that I highlighted.

Take your SOJF crap somewhere else.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Don't **** on my thread, your BS is as if I'm suggesting we're going 16-0. I'm not putting Geno in Canton, I didn't suggest anything for Geno other that he had a really good debut. I don't need to relax about anything.

It was the first game with a rookie QB, in a game that we played pretty well overall, and had to come back to win, showed a lot of resolve, and did in impress in all the scenarios that I highlighted.

Why even respond to that douche he clearly knows nothing about anything lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Geno managed the game fairly well easing him into the NFL no risks were taken he throws a ball right were it has to be most of the time I can see some really positive things happening with a better surrounding cast.

Chris Wesseling@ChrisWesseling
    Geno Smith made history. First QB drafted in 2nd round or later to pass for 250+ yards and win on Kickoff Weekend since 1970 merger.

I'm guessing you're still butthurt over the whole Tebow thing because you were nowhere NEAR this pessimistic when that glorified preacher was on this team.

This was a game NO ONE picked us to win and we manged to pull it out. Hell, many had us getting blown out and at no point did this game get to that level. That alone is a positive. This team is, IMHO, going to be a lot better than people think we are going to be.

Great post Ray. A lot less nervous about Geno then I was a few weeks ago. Ucrenegade? Do the board a favor and disappear again like you did when Saint Timothy was cut.

All League
    I watched the game with a friend(Cowboy Fan) and during the first go ahead drive, I told my friend I couldn't believe how Geno was playing under the pressure, but I couldn't shake the feeling of an impending turnover to end the game, because that is just what kind of became normal. The drive continued for a few plays, then Geno rolled to his right, waited,then waited some more, and it was enough time for my mind to process it was a pick as he was releasing it....then the camera pans down field and it's 5 yards out of bounds. He threw it away when we needed a play on the drive, but was poised enough to know it didn't have to be on THAT play. After that play, that horrible feeling of an impending turnover went away, and it didn't return on the last drive either. Did I think we'd see what we did on that last drive, maybe not, but I didn't rule it out.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on Geno, and it's very positive.

Shut the eff up & take hike needle d*ck!
    Having as many 3rd & longs that he had based on our craptastick running game he was incredible!

Also good example of building through the draft - we had 3 rookies play the entire game and a few others make big contributions

What I like about Geno is he throws the ball away when there's nothing there AND he'll actually take off running if everyone's covered and there's some yardage he can gain with his legs.

Also, he's not SCARED... The kid stands in there and takes a shot if he has to, but he's not SCARED... And we haven't seen that around here in a while.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

I wasn't suggesting you were I was merely stating he looked ok against one of the bottom 3 teams in the league so i am not patting any jets player esp him on the back...........we never left SOJF so it don't matter anyway until we get a QB, and a good coach which we have not had since parcells. We haven't even had a decent QB since vinny how can a franchise screw up the most important part of a football team for over 10 years is beyond me.......not taking into account pennington because i think pre-injury he could have been real good.

Let's see how geno does now that other teams will have film on him.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    I'm guessing you're still butthurt over the whole Tebow thing because you were nowhere NEAR this pessimistic when that glorified preacher was on this team.

This was a game NO ONE picked us to win and we manged to pull it out. Hell, many had us getting blown out and at no point did this game get to that level. That alone is a positive. This team is, IMHO, going to be a lot better than people think we are going to be.

Great post Ray. A lot less nervous about Geno then I was a few weeks ago. Ucrenegade? Do the board a favor and disappear again like you did when Saint Timothy was cut.

I never disappeared i don't even discuss him anymore he is not a jet.............I wish him well but now I don't need to discuss him.

wow you can see the future? awesome dude. there is 0% chance you can know this, and don't tell me you saw him play in college so you can extrapolate the rest of his career. nobody knows, give him some credit, lets move on and see what he does next week.

OP is a little overly positive (i.e. not touching on any of the negatives today at all really, and there were some), but with that said, I generally agree with most of his post.

All League
    I wasn't suggesting you were I was merely stating he looked ok against one of the bottom 3 teams in the league so i am not patting any jets player esp him on the back...........we never left SOJF so it don't matter anyway until we get a QB, and a good coach which we have not had since parcells. We haven't even had a decent QB since vinny how can a franchise screw up the most important part of a football team for over 10 years is beyond me.......not taking into account pennington because i think pre-injury he could have been real good.

Let's see how geno does now that other teams will have film on him.
    I usually don't post stuff like this, but look into comma useage. It's neat.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Shut the eff up & take hike needle d*ck!
    Having as many 3rd & longs that he had based on our craptastick running game he was incredible!

yep he was and just about any QB can beat the bottom teams..................it's being able to beat the good and bad teams that makes you a franchise qb..............oh well i guess i just have higher standards i want a franchise qb a luck, kapernick, rodgers, brees, rothesburger type you can have your ray lucas, weeden, esiason, vince young, geno smith types.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeJet View Post
    I usually don't post stuff like this, but look into comma useage. It's neat.

when i write my next essay paper i will thanks........

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    OP is a little overly positive (i.e. not touching on any of the negatives today at all really, and there were some), but with that said, I generally agree with most of his post.
    On a day like today when we pulled a win from defeat, a little fantasizing is in order.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    wow you can see the future? awesome dude. there is 0% chance you can know this, and don't tell me you saw him play in college so you can extrapolate the rest of his career. nobody knows, give him some credit, lets move on and see what he does next week.
    i did give him credit i thought tampa was going to kill us who knew they would shoot themselves in the foot all game.............but like i said he did better than suckchez i just hope the front office don't fall in love with fools gold like they did with sanchez is all i am saying............hopefully we are able to land a top qb in the draft and we have another qb battle until we actually get it right.