Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: Austin Howard

  1. #1

    Austin Howard

    Some people were bashing Howard's performance yesterday, but Pro Football Focus actually graded him out pretty well:

    Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF 2m

    With 8 games up so far some big grades coming through. New York Jets Austin Howard quietly leading all tackles so far with his +5.2 grade.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,099
    How did Vlad grade out?

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,278
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    How did Vlad grade out?
    I think it was Vlads man who got thru for the Geno fumble. He did not look good IMO.

  4. #4
    Pleasant surprise

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

  5. #5
    Pro Football Focus' grades for this game:

    Austin Howard.... +5.2
    Nick Mangold...... +0.4
    Vlad Ducasse...... -0.5
    Willie Colon........ -0.5
    Brick Ferguson.... -2.8

    .

  6. #6
    Brick gotta step up

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Pro Football Focus' grades for this game:

    Austin Howard.... +5.2
    Nick Mangold...... +0.4
    Vlad Ducasse...... -0.5
    Willie Colon........ -0.5
    Brick Ferguson.... -2.8

    .
    Not a good day for the O line, those grades match what we saw with our eyes during the game. I wonder if playing next to Vlad is affecting Brick's performance?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
    Brick gotta step up

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4
    Brick looked okay to me. He got punished for a penalty that wasn't his fault at all (he blocked his guy, and there was another delayed rusher who had an unblocked run at Geno... Brick did what he had to do).

    I actually though he played well, and surprised to see him grade out so poorly.

  9. #9
    Actually, going back to previous poster above, it is quite possible his performance suffered due to vlad.

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
    Actually, going back to previous poster above, it is quite possible his performance suffered due to vlad.

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4
    thejetsblog.com pointed out that Mangold was the one helping Vlad on most plays. Brick was 1-on-1

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    8,073
    Vlad is boom or bust at this point

    1 play I saw him completely obliterate a DL on a running play

    Another play he whiffed in pass coverage and it led to a Geno sack/fumble..

    He's still too inconsistent in pass coverage to be trusted IMO....

    Austin Howard was serviceable I thought yesterday..

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    thejetsblog.com pointed out that Mangold was the one helping Vlad on most plays. Brick was 1-on-1
    Like I was saying, perhaps Mangolds performance suffered due to him having to bail out Vlad. ;-)

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

  13. #13
    I think it's partially Brick covering for Vlad, partially Brick's average-at-best run blocking being exposed by 2012's leading run defense. Brick is still part of the solution.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,567
    How did our dline grade out (if they grade d)?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by TokyoJetsFan View Post
    How did our dline grade out (if they grade d)?
    Wilkerson -2.2 (65 Plays) (Note: Includes -.8 Penalty Rating)
    Harrison +3.1 (30 Plays)
    Richardson +2.3 (64 Plays) (Note: Includes -.8 Penalty Rating)
    Ellis +1.7 (12 Plays)
    Douzable -1.7 (8 Plays)

    Personally, I don't see how this makes a whole lot of sense. The Pass rush was graded at -4.9, the coverage was graded at -2.4, and yet they held Freeman to 15-31 1TD/1Int and 150 yards.

    I know everyone's been talking about how bad the secondary was, but there were long periods where the Jets were getting no pass rush, and no one was open. That's because of coverage. I think Cro and Co did better than they get credit for. Only 3 QBs had a lower QB Rating this week (Gabbert, Weeden, Ponder) the secondary seems to be get 0 credit for that. Despite the inconsistent pass rush.

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Wilkerson -2.2 (65 Plays) (Note: Includes -.8 Penalty Rating)
    Harrison +3.1 (30 Plays)
    Richardson +2.3 (64 Plays) (Note: Includes -.8 Penalty Rating)
    Ellis +1.7 (12 Plays)
    Douzable -1.7 (8 Plays)

    Personally, I don't see how this makes a whole lot of sense. The Pass rush was graded at -4.9, the coverage was graded at -2.4, and yet they held Freeman to 15-31 1TD/1Int and 150 yards.

    I know everyone's been talking about how bad the secondary was, but there were long periods where the Jets were getting no pass rush, and no one was open. That's because of coverage. I think Cro and Co did better than they get credit for. Only 3 QBs had a lower QB Rating this week (Gabbert, Weeden, Ponder) the secondary seems to be get 0 credit for that. Despite the inconsistent pass rush.
    Thanks for posting and agree doesn't make sense. Only thing I can think of is maye they put 3rd down conversions into the formula? Bucs were 6-16 on 3rd downs I think...a pretty high percentage.

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,769
    I am not 100% sure as to how they grade but I think the sacks were mostly coverage sacks and on blitzes so that might hurt the grade. And if you watched the game the coverage was not good. I think PFF takes the circumstances into account so if a guy comes unblocked they don't credit it as a great pass rushing play. Jackson had himself a day. We also gave up a few crucial third down conversions via the pass.

    As for Howard I think fans sometimes see the pressure coming from the right side and assume it is the RT's fault. I know one play where Geno was sacked it was on the RB/FB b.c they did not block anybody. I think the entire OL was inconsistent yesterday. Hopefully as they play more together they get better.

  18. #18
    We've been saying that for 2 years now, I think it is time to draft a new franchise LT

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Wilkerson -2.2 (65 Plays) (Note: Includes -.8 Penalty Rating)
    Harrison +3.1 (30 Plays)
    Richardson +2.3 (64 Plays) (Note: Includes -.8 Penalty Rating)
    Ellis +1.7 (12 Plays)
    Douzable -1.7 (8 Plays)
    Makes no sense for Wilkerson to have a negative rating. Pretty imperfect system PFF has.

    As for the secondary, let's see how they do against Brady before we dole out praise.

  20. #20
    Not sure if anyone posted this but Parcells has a weekly segment on the Michael Kay show, I believe Thursdays around 4:00. When asked if he could coach today with the new practice restrictions, Bill said that all he knows is EVERY NFL Coach he speaks to today says they can't develop OL & DL due to the lack of hitting allowed. He said its going to affect the game as time goes on.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us