Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Austin Howard

Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Makes no sense for Wilkerson to have a negative rating. Pretty imperfect system PFF has.

As for the secondary, let's see how they do against Brady before we dole out praise.
    That's fair, but at the same time, I haven't seen anyone praise the secondary, I've seen them killed over and over again. There were certainly mistakes, but the Jets went a long time w/o a rush and Freeman had all kinds of problems finding receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    That's fair, but at the same time, I haven't seen anyone praise the secondary, I've seen them killed over and over again. There were certainly mistakes, but the Jets went a long time w/o a rush and Freeman had all kinds of problems finding receivers.
    And to be fair, lets wait until Couples recovers. He is a key to 4 man rush.

Veteran
    I was thoroughly disappointed with our Dline. It seems we got some pressure in the first quarter but then completely dissapeared the rest of the game. We keep adding talent and draft picks to the Dline but still not getting any sort of pass rush. I won't over react to one game, but we better start seeing some improvement as the season goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I was thoroughly disappointed with our Dline. It seems we got some pressure in the first quarter but then completely dissapeared the rest of the game. We keep adding talent and draft picks to the Dline but still not getting any sort of pass rush. I won't over react to one game, but we better start seeing some improvement as the season goes on.
    Do you know who Doug Martin is and what he did last year? Martin was completely shut down yesterday. If you don't appreciate what our D-line did yesterday, I am sorry to tell you that you will never be satisfied. Freeman was running for his life most of the game and the pressure is the reason Freeman went 15-31. That is sub 50% completion pct. Most people expected Martin to challenge for rushing title this year and he was invisible all game (outside of his last run when everyone was expecting pass and we had our nickle defense in the game.

I feel like if we had Rodgers as our QB the fan base would find a way to complain about him.

Quote Originally Posted by RussianGreen View Post
    And to be fair, lets wait until Couples recovers. He is a key to 4 man rush.
    True. I was just a little surprised about the amount of heat the secondary was taking today. When I was watching the game, I was thinking how good they had been. And every comment I've seen has been basically the opposite. The D-Line against the pass was inconsistent, the d-line against the rush was fantastic.

I think the problem with PFF is that they only grade what they see, and I suspect that the DBs don't get graded on plays where QBs have 5+ seconds to throw and end up throwing the ball away or taking a sack, because often the broadcast doesn't show the coverage downfield.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    With certain (perhaps many) exceptions, its hard to grade one specific unit in a vacuum. The Dline was pretty good at times as was the secondary. Overall, our pass defense was decent. Certainly not great, but, at the end of the day, Freeman had far from a good game and they had one real offensive TD. VJax torched us, but the other team gets paid too - he's a very good WR, bordering on elite.

Certainly room for improvement and the last drive was definitely disappointing, but overall, I was happy with the defensive effort. Especially considering how young we've become.

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Pro Football Focus' grades for this game:

Austin Howard.... +5.2
    Nick Mangold...... +0.4
    Vlad Ducasse...... -0.5
    Willie Colon........ -0.5
    Brick Ferguson.... -2.8

As I suspected, Vlad wasn't as bad as everyone is screaming about.

Howard is a beast!

All League
    Interesting, of the 5 sacks allowed, only one was credited to an offensive lineman, Ducasse.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    Interesting, of the 5 sacks allowed, only one was credited to an offensive lineman, Ducasse.
    There seemed to be a number of jailbreaks yesterday. Seemingly blown protections or some other mental screwups.

PFF are a bunch of dumbass fantasy football nerds that never played football nor do they understand anything they're watching. they grade whatever the hell they think they're seeing, but they dont know **** so its kind of pointless. i feel sorry for the people that actually pay for this ****

Take their ratings with a grain of salt. Though Howard wasn't bad yesterday. I noticed Ducasse and Brick not playing good more. Gerald McCoy was very disruptive. And the Bucs blitzed a lot, they didn't respect our WRs so they attacked and attacked.

The Jets have to block better, because the RBs had no chance yesterday. We need to create some big plays downfield as well to soften things up.

Who does Vlad have naked pictures of that he is still allowed to play on this team?

Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    Who does Vlad have naked pictures of that he is still allowed to play on this team?
    Per Nails post above he had the same rating as Colon and better than D'Brick. People here want the guy to fail. Smh.

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Take their ratings with a grain of salt. Though Howard wasn't bad yesterday. I noticed Ducasse and Brick not playing good more. Gerald McCoy was very disruptive. And the Bucs blitzed a lot, they didn't respect our WRs so they attacked and attacked.

The Jets have to block better, because the RBs had no chance yesterday. We need to create some big plays downfield as well to soften things up.
    The Jets had a good first outing yesterday all things told but they have a lot of areas for improvement. I'm happy with how even keeled Geno is during the game - sure he made mistakes but he overcame them as the game went on. He said all the right things in the post game interview, at this point his level headed demeanour augurs well for the team relative to Mark's attention seeking ways and meltdowns.

Lastly, the Jets need to make teams pay for blitzing so much by picking up chunks of yards when they don't respect the pass. Hill/Gates have to get more involved with a few more deep plays to open up the intermediate routes and running game. These things all feed off each other.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Makes no sense for Wilkerson to have a negative rating. Pretty imperfect system PFF has.

As for the secondary, let's see how they do against Brady before we dole out praise.
    Maybe you just don't know how they grade, or didn't watch every play. A grade of -.2 isn't bad, it's around average. He had a couple penalties, and actually got pushed out of a few plays. He was being doubled all game, and one of the big negitives was actually the TE hitting him from the side where he didn't see him. PFF had him #2 behind JJ Watts as one of the best players in the game last year. So they had a good scheme on him. It freed up other guys to make plays. Once Coples gets back, or teams realize that Snacks Richardson, and Ellis are going to eat them up, they'll give Wilk more space.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Per Nails post above he had the same rating as Colon and better than D'Brick. People here want the guy to fail. Smh.
    It's very difficult to pick out who to blame on the Oline so they always assume it's Vlad. It very well may have been, but they were blitzing and stunting the whole game. It may be that Vlad hasn't had enough time with the group for them all to gel. They got better as the game went on though. TB has some great lineman too. These guys just like to bash where they can. They did pretty well considering, and Geno forgot to get rattled back there too. Can't wait till next week. Thank God we don't have to.

people fail to realize that the Bucs have a great front 7 and were the league's best run defense last year. by stopping our run game, it allowed them to be very aggressive in the pass rush and its effectiveness was magnified by the fact that we had a very conservative game plan in place for Geno's first start.

Austin Howard

In Geno Smith's second start, Jets offensive line looking to keep quarterback on his feet

Michael J. Fensom/The Star-Ledger

On 49 occasions Sunday at MetLife Stadium, Geno Smith dropped back to pass. Five times he was sacked, another five times he was hit by a defender after releasing the ball. The Jets’ rookie quarterback was hurried during nine pass attempts, and pressure forced him into six scrambles.

Smith’s NFL debut came behind an offensive line playing together for the first time in a regular season game, which undoubtedly influenced the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ gameplan. Defensive players shifted and slid into wacky alignments designed to confuse Smith and his blockers. Blitzing players came from all directions.

“They were physical, athletic, speedy -- you name it, they had it,” Vladimir Ducasse, the new starter at left guard, said. “They were running everything. Everything.”

The Bucs’ strategy is representative of how NFL defenses will greet Smith this year. For all of his physical tools -- a rocket arm and enough mobility to run for 47 yards in his debut -- Smith faces the inevitable adjustment rookies undertake upon joining the NFL. Experience cannot be simulated.

As he learns on the fly, defenses aim to harass and confuse Smith, and responsibility falls on the offensive line to aid and protect their quarterback. With three days of preparation before Thursday night’s game in New England against the Patriots, the line has half the normal week to correct the mistakes of Week 1 and prepare to block another dynamic defense.

To make conditions more difficult, the game will take place at Gillette Stadium, where the volume of a frothing crowd can render lines of communication from lineman to lineman fuzzy.

“Our job is to get the run game going and make Geno comfortable early,” Willie Colon, the new starter at right guard, said. “You don’t want him to feel like he’s back there trying to save the world.”

A successful offensive line has a balletic quality. There is a synchronization of movement required to barricade rushers and fortify the pocket.

“The thing about O-line, you’ve got to be one with five movable parts,” Colon said. “If one guy is off, it messes everyone up.”

Cohesiveness is inevitably the result of communication, the lifeblood of a great line. Once Smith calls a play in the huddle, the Jets line begins to read the defense. The All-Pro center Nick Mangold points out the middle linebacker, a “key” to unraveling how blocking responsibility will be distributed based on defensive alignment.

“He’s literally the brain of us, his ability to see blitzes, move us where we need to be so we could be effective is amazing,” Colon said of Mangold, who missed two plays Sunday with an elbow injury. “Without him, it’s scary where we would be.”

Mangold’s read of the defense gets passed along -- like a note traveling from desk to desk in a classroom -- from the interior of the line out, first to each guard then the tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Austin Howard and perhaps a tight end, depending on the formation. Before Mangold snaps the ball to Smith, each lineman has communicated with the player next to him.

“We’re not having a conversation,” Ducasse said. “But I need to let the tackle know what I’m doing, what I’m thinking.”

When the play ends, the linemen discuss the tendencies of opposing players, or offer suggestions to one another. The 40-second cycle repeats roughly 70 times during a game. When it has ended, the hope is the quarterback’s uniform remains as clean as when the game began.

The Jets’ offensive system relies on Mangold and his teammates to adjust to what defenses present at the line of scrimmage. Still, the pre-snap plan doesn’t always unfold as designed.

Twice Sunday, Smith turned the ball over. On a second-quarter fumble, six Buccaneers rushers bombarded seven Jets blockers. Mason Foster bulled past Ducasses and Adrian Clayborn twisted from defensive end up the middle before Mangold could chip him. The defenders sandwiched Smith and knocked the ball loose. On Smith’s interception, he was harried by Trevor Scott.

The Jets lineman said they have reviewed their mistakes and learned from them -- while simultaneously studying the Patriots. The task is to accomplish twice the work in half the time. And as Ducasse said, to beat New England, “You have to be almost perfect out there.”