Page 11 of 94 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders 2013-14

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Isles goalies playing at about the level Snow played at, yes? In this case, we need Pat Roy or Brodeur to be GM!
    Sounds about right. I almost would prefer if they have to come from behind in the 3rd period - watching them try to hold a lead in the 3rd has been brutal this season. But its early in a long season -- hopefully they will get it going tonight.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously? I'm no expert, but it seems to me Nappy is out of position an awful lot. Comes out of the net, flopping around, and is down on the ice, in no position to save any rebounds.

If I was Cappy, I'd have a real short leash for Nappy. I'd have yanked his sorry ass after the second goal.

Kinda like Sanchez/Geno, with Nappy/Poulin. Put in Geno/Poulin, and let's ride it out, see what we got.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ute oh, a lead in the third... Let's hope they play the full 60 minutes.

Let's do it!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This game has all of the makings of a letdown. Starting the 3rd with a lead and the PP is almost a curse. I hope I'm wrong and they bury them here. Some slick moves by Bails, wonder why he doesn't get some first line minutes as he seems like the perfect compliment to JT.

And can anyone tell me why PMB is playing over Nelson? Guy is invisible and plays like the biggest wussie on the ice.

Go Isles and finish this.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ute oh, a lead in the third... Let's hope they play the full 60 minutes.

Let's do it!
    Yup. A lead heading into the 3rd is my worst nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice too see them pull it out but damn that was nerve wracking. Having too take a defensive zone F/O when you have the PP had me worried.

Overall: Nice too see we have a Dman that can hit the net consistently in Donovan. Not a great game overall for him but he just needs the time. PMB is a fycking waste but Regin is growing on me. Good on faceoffs and has a jump too his step. Grabs is a different player and if he stays on that first line I think he can put up some great numbers. Not just goals but the assists. Hammer is a different player from his rookie season. He seems to have lost weight and is concentrating on a more overall game. I like that he can lay some hits when needed and he is by far our best Dman. Not even close.

And for Cappy.....play the rooks. They are our future.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad they won it, but definitely had me nervous at the end. There was a long shot that Nappy was 10 feet out of the net and goin down, but the shot hit the outside of the net. Just a c hair less of the angle on the shot, and it would have been in the net. And like you mentioned, the defensive zone face off at the end on the PP.....

I'd say they played a more complete game than the Buffalo game. Seemed to still play hard in the third.

Hopefully, they learned you have to still play hard in the third when you have a lead. No more blown third leads, please! I had enough of that shlt last year!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    That third period was night and day from Buffalo. They looked like they were trying to score the next goal, not just be content to dump and change. And when they were dumping the puck, someone was always chasing at least. Not perfect but they were the dominant team in the second half of the game.

PMB is looking less lost, but if someone has to sit for Nelson, it probably should be him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, not a big Nappy fan, but he played better the last two periods last night.

Give credit where credit is due.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nabby in net again.

Looks like Nelson and Donovan riding the pine.

Carkner is in also.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Saw Nappys third goal. The puck hit the roof of the net, and was back down on the ice before he even lifted his arm to block it. :

Bad day for sports for me. Isles lose, UConn football got smoked again. Might as well make it the trifecta tomorrow as the Jets get whooped too.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Saw Nappys third goal. The puck hit the roof of the net, and was back down on the ice before he even lifted his arm to block it. :

Bad day for sports for me. Isles lose, UConn football got smoked again. Might as well make it the trifecta tomorrow as the Jets get whooped too.
    OT But did you go to Uconn?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    OT But did you go to Uconn?
    Yep, '99.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, '99.
    I was this close "'" to being a Husky back in 90. They were the only school that recruited me as a junior, so I always have a soft spot for them and root for their success. Small world.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 1h
    Brock Nelson leaving Coliseum with his gear, headed to Bridgeport. Will play tomorrow, then #Isles will decide on a possible recall.

Way to go Cappy. I'm so glad PMB is in the line-up

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Brock Nelson leaving Coliseum with his gear, headed to Bridgeport. Will play tomorrow, then #Isles will decide on a possible recall.

This is as much on Garth as it is Cappy. They spent $2m on PMB and they don't want throw that away. The Isles couldn't decide whether they would go out and get some real FAs to fill the couple of roster spots or let them be filled by the rookies. Instead, they went with half-assed moves in Regin and PMB. Regin -at under $1m - is scratchable. pPMB, apparently, is not.

The decided on moves gives us depth in the event of injury but it also doesn't allow for the rookies to get the playing time they should.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    This is as much on Garth as it is Cappy. They spent $2m on PMB and they don't want throw that away. The Isles couldn't decide whether they would go out and get some real FAs to fill the couple of roster spots or let them be filled by the rookies. Instead, they went with half-assed moves in Regin and PMB. Regin -at under $1m - is scratchable. pPMB, apparently, is not.

The decided on moves gives us depth in the event of injury but it also doesn't allow for the rookies to get the playing time they should.
    I agree with you that much of this team's weaknesses are on Garth. He didn't fill what appeared to be the two biggest holes the team had heading into the season -- the need for a big, veteran defenseman and a goalie to either challenge or spell Nabby. Instead we made a couple of 2nd tier depth signings up front but did nothing to improve either on the blue line or between the pipes.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I know how you feel - my teams are now 0-6 over the past two weekends. In addition to the Isles, Georgia dropped games to Missouri and Vandy. But the Jets can still salvage the weekend with a win today.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was this close "'" to being a Husky back in 90. They were the only school that recruited me as a junior, so I always have a soft spot for them and root for their success. Small world.
    Recruited for football?

Small world, indeed. The guy in my office, sits six feet away from me. Never met him until he started working with me. Turns out, UCOnn grad also, same time as me, had the same classes, and same professors. Dude even lived in the next dorm over, about 100 feet away. We even knew the same people.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    I agree with you that much of this team's weaknesses are on Garth. He didn't fill what appeared to be the two biggest holes the team had heading into the season -- the need for a big, veteran defenseman and a goalie to either challenge or spell Nabby. Instead we made a couple of 2nd tier depth signings up front but did nothing to improve either on the blue line or between the pipes.
    +3