Page 17 of 94 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders 2013-14

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    the difference here - as opposed to the Smyth trade - is that back then, we probably could have used the picks we lost. Now, OTOH, we are pretty much stocked in the prospect category that its not like there could really be a fast track to the NHL for whomever we draft next year. We simply have too many players in our system from 18-20 yrs old that would be in front of any potential player. And while a pick in teh 15-20 range of a relatively weak draft has a better than average chance to be a regular NHLer, he also has a pretty remote chance of being a star. So, realistically, we are giving up a potential 2nd/3rd liner in 2017 and beyond in exchange for the opportunity to obtain the services of a guy like Vanek.

That's ultimately why I don't mind taking the risk. Vanek bolts, we lose this deal. But, what do we really lose? And with this team, the fact that we took a bold shot is a positive. Having management take a calculated risk and show that they are willing to spend is a good thing, IMO.
    I agree with your premise, I just wish they had taken a bold shot at the teams glaring weaknesses.

It's like you have the mortgage, credit card, and cable bill to pay this month. You have just enough cash to pay all three bills. But instead, you decide to short the mortgage payment, and add HBO this month.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    I agree with your premise, I just wish they had taken a bold shot at the teams glaring weaknesses.

It's like you have the mortgage, credit card, and cable bill to pay this month. You have just enough cash to pay all three bills. But instead, you decide to short the mortgage payment, and add HBO this month.
    Yeah, but you get to see t!tties with that Masters of Sex show. I think Islanders fans needed to see some t!tties.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

the difference here - as opposed to the Smyth trade - is that back then, we probably could have used the picks we lost. Now, OTOH, we are pretty much stocked in the prospect category that its not like there could really be a fast track to the NHL for whomever we draft next year. We simply have too many players in our system from 18-20 yrs old that would be in front of any potential player. And while a pick in teh 15-20 range of a relatively weak draft has a better than average chance to be a regular NHLer, he also has a pretty remote chance of being a star. So, realistically, we are giving up a potential 2nd/3rd liner in 2017 and beyond in exchange for the opportunity to obtain the services of a guy like Vanek.

That's ultimately why I don't mind taking the risk. Vanek bolts, we lose this deal. But, what do we really lose? And with this team, the fact that we took a bold shot is a positive. Having management take a calculated risk and show that they are willing to spend is a good thing, IMO.
    Here is the other big difference that no one seems to be valuing....

Ryan Smyth played 18 regular season games as an Islander. He joined the team in MARCH.

Vanek will be an Islander for almost the entire season. I feel that is a huge difference not only in making the trade, but in convincing him that he should remain part of a pretty dynamic, yound rebuild. The new building is right around the corner. The team is on the rise.

The assumption that Vanek bolts smacks of SOJF syndrome.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

And while we're lamenting Smyth, let's not be negligent by omitting the fact that he never lived up to the UFA contract he signed with Colorado. He never was close to being the player he was with the Oilers.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    And while we're lamenting Smyth, let's not be negligent by omitting the fact that he never lived up to the UFA contract he signed with Colorado. He never was close to being the player he was with the Oilers.
    And the compensation for Smyth ended up being non-contributors anyway.

Edit to add: They traded Robert Nilsson, Ryan O'Marra and a pick that became Alex Plante (never heard of him).

I only bring this up as our pick of Robert Nilsson should have been Zach Parise! (I still have not let this go and bring it up whenever I can).
    Last edited by crasherino; 10-29-2013 at 12:59 PM.

All League
    Yeah, but you get to see t!tties with that Masters of Sex show. I think Islanders fans needed to see some t!tties.
    I have HBO..... What is this show you speak of?!?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    I have HBO..... What is this show you speak of?!?
    Is it on showtime, maybe? I get confused. I didn't make my mortgage payment this month but I get all the premium channels. Why do you think I'm an Islander fan?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Looks like Talbot is starting for the Rangers tonight. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing actually. Hank isn't playing all that well.

And Hagelin's back for them.

And Brock is in/Boulton's out which means no Colin Mc again. Must be hurt. And according to Staple yesterday, the lines will look something like this (the big thing being PMB on the 2nd line):

Okposo - JT - Vanek
    PMB - Nielsen - Bailey
    Grabs - Regin - Nelson
    Martin - Cizikas - Clutter

If PMB gets going, these lines look pretty balanced. Grabs should be on the 2nd line, but there's something to be said about spreading out the scoring and with his speed, he's a great counter-puncher.

Veteran
    Looks like Talbot is starting for the Rangers tonight. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing actually. Hank isn't playing all that well.

And Hagelin's back for them.

And Brock is in/Boulton's out which means no Colin Mc again. Must be hurt. And according to Staple yesterday, the lines will look something like this (the big thing being PMB on the 2nd line):

Okposo - JT - Vanek
    PMB - Nielsen - Bailey
    Grabs - Regin - Nelson
    Martin - Cizikas - Clutter

If PMB gets going, these lines look pretty balanced. Grabs should be on the 2nd line, but there's something to be said about spreading out the scoring and with his speed, he's a great counter-puncher.
    Did the earth get hit with an asteroid? I kind of like these lines. Should be fun to see what Grabs and Nelson can do together because I feel they complement each other well. And having Clutter on the fourth is where he belongs.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Did the earth get hit with an asteroid? I kind of like these lines. Should be fun to see what Grabs and Nelson can do together because I feel they complement each other well. And having Clutter on the fourth is where he belongs.
    Yeah, I like those lines too and I guess I just made them up because I just saw this about 30 seconds ago:

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 4h
    Capuano says Nelson will start on LW w/Cizikas and Martin. Would imagine you'll see Clutterbuck w/Cizikas and Martin at times too.
    Does Cappy go out of his way to be a contrarian? If Clutter gets double shifted and Brock sees only ~6 minutes of ice time, I'm gonna be annoyed.

Not to say that Brock with Casey and MM is bad, but if you and I (and the rest of Islander fan nation) can construct the logical lines, why can't he?

Veteran
    Yeah, I like those lines too and I guess I just made them up because I just saw this about 30 seconds ago:

Does Cappy go out of his way to be a contrarian? If Clutter gets double shifted and Brock sees only ~6 minutes of ice time, I'm gonna be annoyed.

Not to say that Brock with Casey and MM is bad, but if you and I (and the rest of Islander fan nation) can construct the logical lines, why can't he?
    Thanks Crash

Veteran
    Just another nugget on the Vanek trade.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 3h
    Another wrinkle in the Vanek deal: if the 1st round pick NYI sent Buff ends up top 10 in June, Isles have option to defer the pick to 2015
    Retweeted by Arthur Staple

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

THAT pretty much sucked.

Not really on Nabby. Two PP goals and defensive breakdown.

Would love to see what this team could do with the likes of the Staahl and Boyle on our defense. They tower on the blue line.

All Pro
    THAT pretty much sucked.

Not really on Nabby. Two PP goals and defensive breakdown.

Would love to see what this team could do with the likes of the Staahl and Boyle on our defense. They tower on the blue line.
    Agree. This one was not on Nabby. He kept them in the game in the game in the 2nd, but, man, how brutal was the PK tonight.

All Pro
    Boyle is not a Defenceman.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    Agree. This one was not on Nabby. He kept them in the game in the game in the 2nd, but, man, how brutal was the PK tonight.
    Nabby made some tough saves and had a good game, and you are exactly right on the PK. We just let them skate up the ice unattested. It's Cappy, this team has way too much talent to be throwing eggs out there against shytty teams.

Only positives were the improved play of Clutterbuck and I thought Nelson looked pretty good also. When Cappy scratches him next game I hope you will feel my frustration.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Boyle is not a Defenceman.
    He should be. g-damn monster.

Veteran
    THAT pretty much sucked. Not really on Nabby. Two PP goals and defensive breakdown.
    I was at the game. Nabby made some pretty tough saves. Talbot's saves weren't as tough. Rangers made better set plays and blocked more shots. Rangers beat our guys to the puck on the boards and controlled the puck in our zone a lot. We had lots of giveaways, JT especially. And blind passes to Rangers. JT had a horrible game. Rangers suck!

All League
    LOL. Another blown third period lead?

Considering Rangers were without Nash and Queeny and were playing their second game in two nights, the Isles had a good chance to win that game.

They played a good second period.

Looked like amateur hour for the first and third.

Couldn't believe the amount of giveaways. Isles trying to get it out of their own end, two D back one with the puck. Rangers have one guy in the zone. Rangers guy skates between the two isles d men. Isles d man with the puck tries to pass to his teammate, but passes to the rangers guy right in between them. . Are the players bad, or just stupid?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Nabby made some tough saves and had a good game, and you are exactly right on the PK. We just let them skate up the ice unattested. It's Cappy, this team has way too much talent to be throwing eggs out there against shytty teams.

Only positives were the improved play of Clutterbuck and I thought Nelson looked pretty good also. When Cappy scratches him next game I hope you will feel my frustration.
    Trust me, I do feel your frustration. To come into the season with high hopes, thinking this team was ready to turn the corner and contend and then to watch the quality of the play. Is Cappy a part of that - yes, but the players are the ones on the ice who are not getting it done. We can't win face-offs, we can't control the puck through the neutral zone and take advantage of our skill. It has just been a clusterf**k of bad hockey, bad coaching, bad play. How many times are we going to face a team that is struggling offensively and give up 3+ goals.

So far this season, we have given up 5 goals to Philly, 4 to Buffalo and 3 each to the Rangers and Predators. These are the 4 lowest scoring teams in the NHL right now all averaging less than 2 per game, and we have managed one point against them. I am not a Nabby fan, but it is not on him the team in front of him has played poorly and at this stage of his career he is not gonna carry a bad defensive team -- not many goalies can. What is gonna happen when we play good offensive teams if we cant stop the lousy ones?

Yes, I definitely feel the frustration. I know there is a lot of hockey left to play, but I don't want to dig a hole like last year and need a great 2nd half run just to sneak into an 8 seed.