Page 20 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders 2013-14

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Actually it does. I nailed my football pool for the second time already this year and your Dawgs helped me out, but so did the Jets
    Happy to have been able to help you out, my friend. Especially if it involved a beatdown of the Gators.

So I am guessing that swamp you refer to in your location is not Gainesville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    Happy to have been able to help you out, my friend. Especially if it involved a beatdown of the Gators.

So I am guessing that swamp you refer to in your location is not Gainesville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Nah I'm in the Tampa area. To me all of Florida is a swamp. And I hate all of the Florida teams so I love picking against them. Two wins in nine weeks in a thirty man pool, lets just say I was happy to see Chicago hit that last field goal last night. It put me over the top.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I understand it is way too early to focus too much on the standings, but a regulation win would provide some nice separation from the bottom 9 -- and 3 points clear of the current 8 spot (Caps).
    Never too early for two points!

All League
    Nabakov in net tonight, per Newsday.

WASHINGTON -- Jack Capuano is going back to Evgeni Nabokov in goal on Tuesday here against the Capitals, despite Kevin Poulin’s solid outing in Saturday’s 3-1 win over the Bruins -- and Nabokov’s shaky outing in the 5-4 shootout win over the Senators on Friday.

“You look at the history, Nabby has played well here,” Capuano said of Nabokov, who is 12-1-3 with a 2.09 GAA and .926 save percentage lifetime against the Caps, 3-0-3 with the Isles. “We’ve got two guys who can do the job and Nabby gets the shot tonight.”

Capuano is sticking with the same 18 skaters as the previous two games. Obviously the same six defensemen are in since no one has been recalled from Bridgeport; Colin McDonald, who has missed the last four games with an undisclosed injury, is with the team and getting closer to returning.

Alex Ovechkin will be back in for the Caps on Tuesday, according to reports from the locals. He missed the last two games, one of which was the wild 7-0 win over the Flyers. The Caps are 5-2-0 in their last seven games.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Capuano is sticking with the same 18 skaters as the previous two games. Obviously the same six defensemen are in since no one has been recalled from Bridgeport; Colin McDonald, who has missed the last four games with an undisclosed injury, is with the team and getting closer to returning.
    Not sure what to do about getting Colin back in the lineup. I like him, he places a nice role, but I'm not sure we miss him all that much. The one thing I'd like to see is Nelson play the body more - perhaps playing with Cizikas and Martin will help him. But he's coming along fine, PMB is growing into a role and Regin is fine enough. Don't know who sits when everyone is healthy. I know who Cappy would sit, but that's besides the point.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Not sure what to do about getting Colin back in the lineup. I like him, he places a nice role, but I'm not sure we miss him all that much. The one thing I'd like to see is Nelson play the body more - perhaps playing with Cizikas and Martin will help him. But he's coming along fine, PMB is growing into a role and Regin is fine enough. Don't know who sits when everyone is healthy. I know who Cappy would sit, but that's besides the point.
    Hit he pine Brock, you'll learn plenty sitting up there. BTW these smileys suck.

Just look at how much better Donovan has been playing with regular ice time, ice time that he is only getting because of injuries.

Nelson is averaging almost .5 point a game in VERY LIMITED playing time. I'd guess around 10 minutes a night. I hate to sound like a broken record (which I know I am) but these guys need to play.

My take as of now. Sit Regin and let Brock center the third line when Colin comes back.
    Third line of:
    Grabs-Nelson-Clutterbuck has a nice ring too it and with Clutterbucks better play as of late, it brings a great balance to the third line.

I would much rather Regin the odd man out than Nelson. Regin has no future with this team, hopefully Brock is the future.

All League
    WTF just happened. I leave the TV for a few minutes and a 1-0 lead is now a 4-2 deficit. Is it just Nabby being Nabby or did the whole team come out flat in the 2nd. How did they give up 4 goals in 8 minutes?

All League
    WTF just happened. I leave the TV for a few minutes and a 1-0 lead is now a 4-2 deficit. Is it just Nabby being Nabby or did the whole team come out flat in the 2nd. How did they give up 4 goals in 8 minutes?
    Nappy being nothing special. Not awful, but definately not making the great save to keep the score close.

All League
    Nappy allowed 4 on Friday vs the Sens, and 4 already tonight not even halfway through.

Sigh.

Gotta hand it to the Craps, though. Dropped a 7 spot on Philly, and already a 4 on the isles. These guys can score, no doubt.
    Last edited by Big L; 11-05-2013 at 08:35 PM.

All League
    Sweet Jesus, 5 goals allowed in one period? Any reason why Nappy wasn't pulled after 4?

9 goals in Nappys last 5 periods played.

Not good enough.

When will enough be enough with this guy? Time to move on. The Nappy Isles era is over. At least it should be.

Since we can't trade for a goalie, better give Poulin the reigns.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Sweet Jesus, 5 goals allowed in one period? Any reason why Nappy wasn't pulled after 4?

9 goals in Nappys last 5 periods played.

Not good enough.

When will enough be enough with this guy? Time to move on. The Nappy Isles era is over. At least it should be.

Since we can't trade for a goalie, better give Poulin the reigns.
    If Cappy don't pull Nabby after 5 goals in one period he never will. Get used to it, I am.

Veteran
    And to think most Isle fans thought Poulin deserved the start. What were they thinking

All League
    If Cappy don't pull Nabby after 5 goals in one period he never will. Get used to it, I am.
    And to think most Isle fans thought Poulin deserved the start. What were they thinking
    Ha, yep.

All League
    Nappy must have pics of Cappy with a hooker or something.

All League
    Since the Ranger game last week, we have given up 6 PP goals in 11 attempts. Don't know if that's lousy goaltending or lousy penalty killing or a combination of both. How many PKs in the last few games have they spent the entire two minutes on their heels in their own zone. Penalty killing has been pathetic.

Edit: Now 7 of 12.
    Last edited by Lithfan; 11-05-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Nappy must have pics of Cappy with a hooker or something.
    I wish it was that, maybe some animal pron, goats and such, but it is just Cappy. Only problem is he is going nowhere unless the Death Spiral occurs, and even then I'm not so sure.

Garth is all in with his buddy Cappy no matter how much of a detriment he is to this team.

Veteran
    Since the Ranger game last week, we have given up 6 PP goals in 11 attempts. Don't know if that's lousy goaltending or lousy penalty killing or a combination of both. How many PKs in the last few games have they spent the entire two minutes on their heels in their own zone. Penalty killing has been pathetic.

Edit: Now 7 of 12.
    As bad as our defense is sometimes you just have too blame the goalie.

But maybe Cappy can explain why Carkner is paired with Donovan on the PK. All players have their stengths on the ice and that pairing should never be combined on the PK.

All League
    Meh, another stinker. You never know which team will show up.

This team is very similar to the Jets, IMO. Really not a lot of talent on one side of the ball/ice, and they have to play 100% balls to the wall every game, if they want to win, and even that's not a given. Sometimes they play hard, sometimes they don't. At least the Jets have Rex. isles are boned with Cappy.

On the bright side, it's still very early in the season.

On the dark side, I really don't see how things will improve, as the roster is now.

All League
    An aside, I think Doug Weight will be inducted in to the US Hockey Hall of Fame on December 2.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Its a sad combo of bad defensive lapses and soft goaltending. I turned the game on with 2 minutes gone in the second, was pleasantly surprised to see a 1-0 lead and then watched a 1/2/3 combination of two defensive giveaways (first Okposo's breakout pass was right on the Caps' player's stick, then Hickey has a chance to clear it, pushes the puck right to Carlson) with a mediocre goalie effort (Nabby goes down, puck goes over his shoulder - lather, rinse, repeat) that gave up a goal. The floodgates opened soon after that.

Ovechkin's PP goal was probably the worst. They win the draw (shocker), he's at the point, no one challenges him so he slowly drifts in and flicks a wristshot over Nabby's shoulder. He may have been screened, but it just looked like he was toying with everyone out there. Ovechkin's reaction was a shrug and a smirk as if to say "OK, that was pretty easy....I'll take it."

Lapses will happen, I guess (its too easy to just put that effort on Nabby) but its frustrating after coming off two pretty good games.