Page 21 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 420 of 1862

Thread: New York Islanders 2013-14

  1. #401
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    4,896
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    As bad as our defense is sometimes you just have too blame the goalie.

    But maybe Cappy can explain why Carkner is paired with Donovan on the PK. All players have their stengths on the ice and that pairing should never be combined on the PK.
    I agree that Nabby deserves plenty of the blame, but I am really concerned by what I have seen of the entire PK over the last few games. Since the Ranger game last week, it seems like we are spending the entire PK in our own zone. We get no pressure on the puck, we can't prevent the other team from carrying the puck through the neutral zone and we have to try to defend in our zone and let the goalie make big saves, which he cannot do.

    I feel like I am watching my son's peewee hockey team all over again. Play the box on the PK let the other team throw the puck around the perimeter for 2 minutes. You can do that against 12 year olds, but not in the NHL.

    Last nights game was 2-2 at even strength. 4-0 on the power play. Yes, Nabby has been lousy, but we gotta play better in front of the goalie on the PK.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

  2. #402
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    I agree that Nabby deserves plenty of the blame, but I am really concerned by what I have seen of the entire PK over the last few games. Since the Ranger game last week, it seems like we are spending the entire PK in our own zone. We get no pressure on the puck, we can't prevent the other team from carrying the puck through the neutral zone and we have to try to defend in our zone and let the goalie make big saves, which he cannot do.

    I feel like I am watching my son's peewee hockey team all over again. Play the box on the PK let the other team throw the puck around the perimeter for 2 minutes. You can do that against 12 year olds, but not in the NHL.

    Last nights game was 2-2 at even strength. 4-0 on the power play. Yes, Nabby has been lousy, but we gotta play better in front of the goalie on the PK.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    I was at the Yale-Clarkson hockey game this weekend. Clarkson took like 8 penalties. Their PK was AWESOME. I mean, aggressive as all hell. Limited Yale to 0 shots on at least half of their PPs. Clarkson was always chasing down the guy with the puck. Never let any of the Yale players get comfortable with the puck. The Yale guys always had to pass it damn near as soon as they got it. No time to set up.

    And as I'm watching it, I'm thinking to myself "Why cant the Isles PK be aggressive like this? They usually just sit back and get boned."

  3. #403
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,403
    this guy sucks. We wont be serious contenders until D & GK are upgraded.

  4. #404
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    I was at the Yale-Clarkson hockey game this weekend. Clarkson took like 8 penalties. Their PK was AWESOME. I mean, aggressive as all hell. Limited Yale to 0 shots on at least half of their PPs. Clarkson was always chasing down the guy with the puck. Never let any of the Yale players get comfortable with the puck. The Yale guys always had to pass it damn near as soon as they got it. No time to set up.

    And as I'm watching it, I'm thinking to myself "Why cant the Isles PK be aggressive like this? They usually just sit back and get boned."
    I feel like this ultra passive PK is a relatively new thing. Earlier in the season and last year, they seemed to be more aggressive. Now they just follow. Its really puzzling.

  5. #405
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,532
    From Newsday-

    http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ders-1.6391586

    RALEIGH, N.C. -- It’s time to ask and break down the following question: What’s wrong with the Islanders?

    Let’s dive in.

    Is it the goaltending?

    Certainly, Evgeni Nabokov has not been good enough at times this season. The difference between what I like to call “Twitter Reality” and “Hockey Reality” is that not every goal in a bad game such as Tuesday’s is the goaltender’s fault. Yes, you need your goaltender to steal games here and there when your team is struggling. On Tuesday, I’d say the first two goals were opportunities for Nabokov to do that. After that, his teammates lost battles or just gave up on plays in the defensive zone. As Flames coach Bob Hartley said about his own team in their blowout loss to the Wild, “You could have had Roy, Belfour and Brodeur tied together out there and they still would have scored.”

    Twitter Reality says that Nabokov is an abject failure and Jack Capuano was at fault for starting him on Tuesday, coming off Kevin Poulin’s very good outing on Saturday. Hockey Reality is that you have two goaltenders, neither of whom can carry you through a long stretch of six or seven straight starts as of now. Better to get a rested Nabokov back in and see what he could do.

    That said, I can almost guarantee you’ll see Poulin on Thursday in Raleigh. My own feeling is that it’s time to see what Poulin can give you with a stretch where he’s the starter and Nabokov is the second option. Nabokov isn’t a stand-on-your-head guy. Poulin might be, if given the chance. And perhaps the rest of the team will wise up and play smarter in front of Poulin.

    Is it the coaching?

    Another dose of Twitter Reality vs. Hockey Reality. Twitter Reality says that everything is Capuano’s fault, give or take a few things. Hockey Reality says that pro players, especially ones who’ve been through the wars together like this group has, solve their own problems when it comes to massive breakdowns like the Isles had in the middle period on Tuesday.

    The pro head coach is not a master motivator. He’s a tactician, a workhorse who studies tendencies and tries to teach them, repeatedly. When a team tunes out a coach, it’s time for a change. When a coach and a GM don’t see eye to eye, it’s time for a change.

    On this team, coach and GM are in sync perhaps more than any other team in the NHL. And Capuano got this mostly same group of players to stick to their system and play “smaht and hahd,” as he likes to say, down the stretch of last season. A game with as good a road first period as Tuesday’s in March or April of last season would have finished 2-1 or 3-1 in the Isles’ favor.

    Is coaching the difference this season? Before you hit send on that next “Cappy stinks” tweet, ask yourself that question. More than once.

    Is it the injuries?

    Brian Strait wasn’t as good as his best from last season even before he got hurt, but him trying to play hurt was a big reason why he struggled after that. Lubo Visnovsky’s absence is the most felt, though — it surprises even me to type this, but Visnovsky is basically irreplaceable in this group of defensemen. He’s the best puck-mover on the corps, he allows Andrew MacDonald to not be on the top power-play unit (and thus not play in every big situation, and thus be better) and Visnovsky is a very, very steady presence on and off the ice.

    He’s a guy who says very little but has a lunch-pail attitude. He shows up, works hard, cracks a few jokes and goes home. In the world of Hockey Realiyu, guys like that are valuable. He’s certainly helped make Thomas Hickey a solid regular.

    Also, there’s basically no way to acquire a player like Visnovsky in the middle of a season. Defensemen are impossible to find as it is. Defensemen who fit the way the Islanders want to play, with speed and accuracy, are nonexistent on the trade market.

    So here we sit. There’s a big hole in the organization in regards to defensemen ready right now. Matt Donovan, who had another ugly outing on Tuesday, is the best of the bunch.

    Is it the players?

    There are some surprising Isles who are now floating a bit too much. Casey Cizikas probably had his worst game in his 60-game NHL career, and he knew it. He sat at his stall on Tuesday night, just about fully dressed in his uniform, until the place had nearly cleared out, staring off into space, wearing a scowl.

    The fourth line has been a big reason why the Isles are so top-heavy now. Cizikas, Matt Martin and Colin McDonald/Brock Nelson haven’t played with the effectiveness they brought last season. Capuano said he may change the bottom three lines and the PK combos for Thursday, and I’d bet that if McDonald is ready to return, you’ll see what a healthy McDonald can do for that line.

    I guess that doesn’t qualify as a change, but perhaps a rejuvenation. Pierre-Marc Bouchard and Josh Bailey aren’t working with Frans Nielsen, so I’d think you’ll see Bouchard and Michael Grabner swapped on the middle two lines to get some Grabner-Nielsen magic back.

    One more dose of Hockey Reality vs. Twitter Reality. Twitter Reality says Capuano is a dope for limiting Grabner’s minutes. Hockey Reality says you have to do something to earn minutes, and Grabner hasn’t done much of late. Perhaps a change will help him as well.

    Is it the GM?

    Snow made a bold move to acquire Thomas Vanek, hoping to upgrade the top line (he has) and shake his team out of their inconsistent stupor (he hasn’t). I don’t see Snow mortgaging more of the future to get Ryan Miller, unless it’s a workable deal -- and I’m thinking Sabres GM Darcy Regier will demand a big payment for Miller that the Isles won’t want to make.

    Given the uncertainty with Visnovsky and Strait and the lack of viable depth defensemen within, I am surprised Snow hasn’t made a small deal for a serviceable defenseman. Maybe that market is too pricey as well.

    So, that’s the breakdown. This is a team that should be better, everyone can agree. They’ve shown they can be good enough to be a top-eight team in the East. They’ve also shown they won’t do the things to make them good enough. It’s a puzzler.

    And, lastly, since I am asked -- or told -- this on occasion: Twitter Reality says it’s my questions that make the Islanders accountable and if I don’t demand answers, the GM and the coach and the players won’t feel any heat.

    Hockey Reality? I’m writing this in a hotel near Raleigh/Durham Airport, eating a takeout salad while watching “Law and Order: SVU.” Thanks for thinking so highly of me, but that’s not the way it works.

    Isles practice is at 1:30 today. I’ll have a report from there later.

  6. #406
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    That is a pretty accurate account of the situation. Interesting thought on Colin McDonald. I was just saying the other day that I'm not sure what he brings to the table. But, maybe his "little bit of everything/nothing spectacular" game is the straw that stirs the drink." Unlike some, I haven't been too impressed with Brock. I am bullish for the future and like what he will become, but when he was skating out there with CC and MM, he was not playing their game.

    This won't happen, but I would put Grabner back on the 2nd line, put Nelson on the 3rd line, sit PMB for a game and bring back the old energy line with CMcD, CC, Martin. And if Nelson doesn't really respond, I have no problem scratching him every so often. I'm not sure that he's fully getting it yet....and he's only 21 - not a big surprise (or concern).

  7. #407
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    4,896
    Just saw that Aaron Ness was called up from Bridgeport. Anyone know anything about this guy?

    [B]NYIslanders ‏@NYIslanders[/B] 39m
    #ISLES TRANSACTION: Defenseman Aaron Ness has been recalled from the Bridgeport Sound Tigers - http://nyisl.es/qAkUP

  8. #408
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The swamp via LI
    Posts
    2,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    Just saw that Aaron Ness was called up from Bridgeport. Anyone know anything about this guy?

    [B]NYIslanders ‏@NYIslanders[/B] 39m
    #ISLES TRANSACTION: Defenseman Aaron Ness has been recalled from the Bridgeport Sound Tigers - http://nyisl.es/qAkUP
    Lets just our Dcorp didn't get any bigger with this call-up. I don't understand any of the moves the Isles have been making recently.

  9. #409
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,532
    Some good news, at least-

    Arthur Staple ✔ @StapeNewsday

    Capuano: Poulin in goal, lineup tbd. Ness likely to play regardless of whether Donovan can go. McDonald in as well.

  10. #410
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    Just saw that Aaron Ness was called up from Bridgeport. Anyone know anything about this guy?

    [B]NYIslanders ‏@NYIslanders[/B] 39m
    #ISLES TRANSACTION: Defenseman Aaron Ness has been recalled from the Bridgeport Sound Tigers - http://nyisl.es/qAkUP
    A few things....he was a highly touted dman in the draft - a guy similar to Eric Karlson who hasn't really materialized (I think they were in the same draft). He's undersized but hasn't really developed the game that an undersized dman needs to to be successful in the NHL.

    From what I've read, the blue line at BP has been so unimpressive that no one deserved a callup. ITs almost like addition by subraction down there, apparently in that at least Mike Dalhuisen will get a chance to play. Ness might be getting a chance and then waived for all we know. I thought he's pretty much spent as a prospect. Perhaps this is a last shot type thing.

    Who is he playing instead of? Staple is saying that Donovan might not be ready to go....any reason why?

    Viz can't get back here soon enough.

  11. #411
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The swamp via LI
    Posts
    2,154
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    A few things....he was a highly touted dman in the draft - a guy similar to Eric Karlson who hasn't really materialized (I think they were in the same draft). He's undersized but hasn't really developed the game that an undersized dman needs to to be successful in the NHL.

    From what I've read, the blue line at BP has been so unimpressive that no one deserved a callup. ITs almost like addition by subraction down there, apparently in that at least Mike Dalhuisen will get a chance to play. Ness might be getting a chance and then waived for all we know. I thought he's pretty much spent as a prospect. Perhaps this is a last shot type thing.

    Who is he playing instead of? Staple is saying that Donovan might not be ready to go....any reason why?

    Viz can't get back here soon enough.
    Donovan is listed as having a hip injury so Ness should be a go tonight.

    At least we're playing a team that is struggling offensively. That is until they play us

    Seriously I hope Poulin stands on his head tonight.
    Last edited by RobR; 11-07-2013 at 02:37 PM.

  12. #412
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,532
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Donovan is listed as having a hip injury so Ness should be a go tonight.

    At least we're playing a team that is struggling offensively. That is until they play us

    Seriously I hope Poulin stands on his head tonight.
    I heard Carolina is without their staring AND backup goalies. Down to third string.

  13. #413
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,203
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Donovan is listed as having a hip injury so Ness should be a go tonight.

    At least we're playing a team that is struggling offensively. That is until they play us

    Seriously I hope Poulin stands on his head tonight.
    Haha....we cure teams' offensive woes. See Flyers, Philly; Rangers, NY.

    Ness is probably the right guy to call up for a 1 game stint. He probably has to clear waivers but they don't have to worry about it. Finley has to clear waivers on his way back down which is probably why they didn't go with him (as much as I didn't like the guy, he's clearly our next best NHL-ready Dman.) Also, they probably want to replace an Offensive minded Dman with a similar player - Ness is that guy. Finley isn't.

    And who knows, maybe lightening will strike and he'll do OK. But this isn't really the team to be down to there 9th defensemen. We've had better depth than in the past, but Aaron Ness, Martinek, Thomas Hickey (who's actually been playing well until yesterday) and Matt Carkner on the same starting roster? Ouch.

  14. #414
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,203
    I totally forgot about DeHaan. Why they didn't call him up is mind boggling.

  15. #415
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    4,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    I heard Carolina is without their staring AND backup goalies. Down to third string.
    Yup, they even signed DiPietro to a professional try out contract with their AHL affiliate a couple of weeks ago.

  16. #416
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    4,896
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Donovan is listed as having a hip injury so Ness should be a go tonight.

    At least we're playing a team that is struggling offensively. That is until they play us

    Seriously I hope Poulin stands on his head tonight.
    I am guessing that this is a big opportunity for Poulin. If he plays well tonight, I can see him at least splitting time with Nabby and getting a chance to emerge as the number 1.

    Also looks like Donovan is a go tonight:

    Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 6m
    #Isles D/G: MacDonald-Hamonic, Ness-Hickey, Donovan-Martinek. Poulin in goal, Nabokov backing up.
    Last edited by Lithfan; 11-07-2013 at 06:47 PM.

  17. #417
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The swamp via LI
    Posts
    2,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    I am guessing that this is a big opportunity for Poulin. If he plays well tonight, I can see him at least splitting time with Nabby and getting a chance to emerge as the number 1.
    I wish I could agree with that sentiment but when has Cappy ever made the smart decision? He should of played last game because he deserved it.

    Did you see the line-up tonight? Clutter is riding the pine and the average weight of our 6 Dmen is around 190lbs. Regin and PMB still in although he finally moved Grabs up to the second line. I guess even a broken clock is right twice a day.

    So lets see Poulin play the game of his life and get the two because the standings are getting so tight now.

    Go ISLES!!

  18. #418
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    4,896
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    I wish I could agree with that sentiment but when has Cappy ever made the smart decision? He should of played last game because he deserved it.

    Did you see the line-up tonight? Clutter is riding the pine and the average weight of our 6 Dmen is around 190lbs. Regin and PMB still in although he finally moved Grabs up to the second line. I guess even a broken clock is right twice a day.

    So lets see Poulin play the game of his life and get the two because the standings are getting so tight now.

    Go ISLES!!
    After Tuesday night's game I do not see how Cappy cannot give Poulin a chance to play a bigger role. Clutter is day-to-day reporting an upper body injury. The defense pairings are pretty scary. With the Canes injuries at goaltender and our the state of our defense, this has all the makings of a high scoring game.

  19. #419
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The swamp via LI
    Posts
    2,154
    Sorry I should have posted the line-ups:

    Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 11m
    #Isles D/G: MacDonald-Hamonic, Ness-Hickey, Donovan-Martinek. Poulin in goal, Nabokov backing up.
    Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand
    Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 11m
    #Isles lines in warmups: Vanek-Tavares-Okposo, Grabner-Nielsen-Bailey, Bouchard-Regin-Nelson, Martin-Cizikas-McDonald.

    Also Clutter is out for injury for clarification.

  20. #420
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The swamp via LI
    Posts
    2,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan;5054000[B
    ]After Tuesday night's game I do not see how Cappy cannot give Poulin a chance to play a bigger role[/B]. Clutter is day-to-day reporting an upper body injury. The defense pairings are pretty scary. With the Canes injuries at goaltender and our the state of our defense, this has all the makings of a high scoring game.
    You are 100% right. But when has Cappy ever made the smart decision, especially when it comes to goaltending. I guess we'll see how he plays tonight and how Cappy handles it afterward.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us